Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Any word of some Lightning BeoPlay headphones?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 41 Replies | 1 Follower

lupend88
Not Ranked
35 Posts
Bronze Member
lupend88 posted on Wed, Sep 7 2016 8:39 PM

With the announcement of the headphone jack removal on the iPhone 7, I'm praying B&O comes up with a solution besides bluetooth. Has anyone heard anything?

All Replies

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,575 Posts
Bronze Member
Millemissen:

No Michael - I haven't.

But when was it so, that Apple would not try to earn money from their technology/design (which is ok!)?

I simply assumed, that it is so in this case, but would be happy if it isn't.

It would make it possible to see 'new' compatible headphones soon(er).

If you happen to know more - please tell!

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

I think this is only for Apple and beats devices. Just like the Apple Watch for example that is all an enclosed chip. We don't know anything about the chip yet so let's see how the real performance is :)

Beolab 50, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9 3rd Gen, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Eclipse Gen 2 55", BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
1,810 Posts
Bronze Member

It's crazy. The Bluetooth headphone 1. Does not sound as great as a cable connected headphone. 2. Needs charging - Apple constantly points out how busy peoples lives are. So when do you have time to remember to charge them? 3. Would not last a long haul flight 4. No long term safety testing. 5. Creates more electricity demand so the USA can 'justify' building more nuclear power plants with 70 years on no idea of what to do with the nuclear waste - OK, just leave it in barrels next to the power plant. 6. The lightning connecter really will be overused so will wear. 7. It's not about water resistant as the small print DOES NOT allow for any water on the iPhone for a warranty claim. So the water resistant claim is thoroughly useless.

With the 100 year old jack, just plug it in and WOW a warm sound and amazing thing is, there's no dropouts. WOW I bet Apple wish they'd invented that! :)

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
1,451 Posts
Bronze Member

Paul W:

It's crazy. The Bluetooth headphone 1. Does not sound as great as a cable connected headphone. 2. Needs charging - Apple constantly points out how busy peoples lives are. So when do you have time to remember to charge them? 3. Would not last a long haul flight 4. No long term safety testing. 5. Creates more electricity demand so the USA can 'justify' building more nuclear power plants with 70 years on no idea of what to do with the nuclear waste - OK, just leave it in barrels next to the power plant. 6. The lightning connecter really will be overused so will wear. 7. It's not about water resistant as the small print DOES NOT allow for any water on the iPhone for a warranty claim. So the water resistant claim is thoroughly useless.

With the 100 year old jack, just plug it in and WOW a warm sound and amazing thing is, there's no dropouts. WOW I bet Apple wish they'd invented that! :)

What's also crazy is how the flexing of the wire at the end of the plug renders headphones useless, even the one cleverly shrouded in soft plastic. 

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

w5bno123
Top 150 Contributor
London
578 Posts
Bronze Member
Hi Duels

If you open up the BeoPlay app and go to ToneTouch and expand the dot as one would do if expanding the screen on an iDevice it will make the dot bigger and enhance the sound.
Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
2,548 Posts
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Thu, Sep 8 2016 10:18 PM
w5bno123:

Hi Duels

If you open up the BeoPlay app and go to ToneTouch and expand the dot as one would do if expanding the screen on an iDevice it will make the dot bigger and enhance the sound.

Do you know, I did that and it has made quite a difference. Many thanks.

Not played with the app before. I now have another new toy.
steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
905 Posts
Bronze Member
interesting perspective high-lighting improved audio quality:

http://qz.com/776240/by-scrapping-your-antiquated-headphones-apple-is-doing-something-extraordinary-for-music/
Stan
Top 100 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
840 Posts
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Fri, Sep 9 2016 12:28 AM

Jimmy Kimmel (late night guy in the US) had a funny joke (I thought) about the "airpods".  He said something to the effect that they should have named them the "iLostMine".  They will sell millions (as someone said) because people will lose them constantly.

Stan

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
1,640 Posts
Gold Member
TWG replied on Fri, Sep 9 2016 6:31 AM

steve1977:

http://qz.com/776240/by-scrapping-your-antiquated-headphones-apple-is-doing-something-extraordinary-for-music/

Sorry for my harsh answer, but this is nonsense that only works for uneducated people. Better quality through current Bluetooth? Very funny

A lousy headphone does not get better if you but the DAC into its housing or feed it via Bluetooth: It stays what it is: A lousy headphone.

The nonsense article will only be good, great or whatever for people who think that beats headphones or Apple headphones sound good.

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,575 Posts
Bronze Member

TWG:

steve1977:

Sorry for my harsh answer, but this is nonsense that only works for uneducated people. Better quality through current Bluetooth? Very funny
A lousy headphone does not get better if you but the DAC into its housing or feed it via Bluetooth: It stays what it is: A lousy headphone.
The nonsense article will only be good, great or whatever for people who think that beats headphones or Apple headphones sound good.

I'm not sure what you mean but the headphone jack was relying on a built in DAC of so-so quality. Using very expensive headphones this would be a imitation. Using a lightning cable and thereby having a completely digital full resolution signal to the DAC of the headphones - tailored for them (just like active B&O speakers) can and do make a lot of difference. Bluetooth is also nowadays a protocol with high data speeds and possibilities of high quality sound is there. The wireless headphone game is still quite young and the tech will evolve. I like that. I´d prefer lightning headphones over the old headphone jack - and I prefer wireless headphones on the go since it is so much simpler and no more cables that pulls my iPhone out of the pocket onto the floor, or the headphones of my head and so on.

Beolab 50, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9 3rd Gen, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Eclipse Gen 2 55", BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

The Beonic Man
Top 150 Contributor
Bristol
800 Posts
Gold Member

Millemissen:

@BAND'OH!

Please tell us about the sound quality, when you have bought/tried them.

I think you are a bit unfair with B&O.

How can a company like B&O be 'ahead' of Apple?

Apple uses a proprietary technology for the AirPods.

You will have to have a licence (and the hardware chip) from Apple,

before you can make your own Beo-AirPhones.

MM

Yes, perhaps a little unfair as Apple has far many more resources than B&O. However, I feel that many of Apple's designs have been inspired by the B&O brand in the past. The late Steve Jobs was a great fan of B&O and bought many products. I am sad that the student has now become the teacher and I guess if Apple got it right, which has led to them now being so financially viable, why couldn't B&O have done the same?

All companies start small and then its up to them to grow. Apple has, once again, broken new ground by making a pair of totally wireless headphones. I always used to look forward to seeing B&O breaking new ground but now they don't. The H5s are just another version of a short wired bluetooth product and don't really stand out. Both sound and design are mediocre in my opinion. The fact they don't even fit properly in many people's ears also demonstrates the lack of testing so frankly, it is a bit of a let down for a company such as B&O. Apple don't make these kinds of mistakes because they are driven to succeed in the way that B&O used to be. I just think its a sad turn of events really.

I do think they have done well with the BS1 and BS2 so I am happy and hopeful on this front but really, they need to be getting it right with all the products across the range. If it was another smaller less experienced company then fine, but not from B&O, this is embarrassing. Simon.

BV11-46, BV8-32, V1-32, BS2, P6, A1, H95, E8, BR1, Beo4, Essence

John
Top 200 Contributor
Australia
321 Posts
Bronze Member
John replied on Fri, Sep 9 2016 10:57 AM

I would concur.  Even if the DAC in the new lightning connected headphones is of 'average' quality, its likely to sound better than the DAC feeding the previous 3.5mm analogue jack in the iPhone itself, due to the analogue output stages (in the headphone) being isolated from an noisy electrical environment (in the iPhone itself) as per the previous arrangement.

And then there is the issue of an analogue signal travelling up a wire to the actual headphones, and being susceptible to noise in one form or another - electrical or physical, with the previous analogue out, 3.5mm headphone jack.

Certainly any description of an so called 'audiophile' headphone setup using an iPhone as source, has involved extracting the digital signal from the iPhone via the lightening connector, to a separate, dedicated DAC/Headphone amp, and then to analogue phones.

It would appear to me that the Lightning connector, being digital, and with an DAC in the actual headphone, is going to offer a superior audio result on technical grounds over the previous analogue 3.5mm jack.

The supplied adaptor looks to be sufficient to manage legacy phones with 3.5mm plugs only.

Those with detachable cables, such as the B&O H6, are in a good position to implement their own lightning connectors/DAC solution cables, and I hope this will happen - the increase in audio quality for little outlay is very appealing indeed.

It's a win win in my book

Cheers

John.. 

John
Top 200 Contributor
Australia
321 Posts
Bronze Member
John replied on Fri, Sep 9 2016 11:01 AM

Michael:

TWG:

steve1977:

I'm not sure what you mean but the headphone jack was relying on a built in DAC of so-so quality. Using very expensive headphones this would be a imitation. Using a lightning cable and thereby having a completely digital full resolution signal to the DAC of the headphones - tailored for them (just like active B&O speakers) can and do make a lot of difference. Bluetooth is also nowadays a protocol with high data speeds and possibilities of high quality sound is there. The wireless headphone game is still quite young and the tech will evolve. I like that. I´d prefer lightning headphones over the old headphone jack - and I prefer wireless headphones on the go since it is so much simpler and no more cables that pulls my iPhone out of the pocket onto the floor, or the headphones of my head and so on.

I would concur.  Even if the DAC in the new lightning connected headphones is of 'average' quality, its likely to sound better than the DAC feeding the previous 3.5mm analogue jack in the iPhone itself, due to the analogue output stages (in the headphone) being isolated from an noisy electrical environment (in the iPhone itself) as per the previous arrangement.

And then there is the issue of an analogue signal travelling up a wire to the actual headphones, and being susceptible to noise in one form or another - electrical or physical, with the previous analogue out, 3.5mm headphone jack.

Certainly any description of an so called 'audiophile' headphone setup using an iPhone as source, has involved extracting the digital signal from the iPhone via the lightening connector, to a separate, dedicated DAC/Headphone amp, and then to analogue phones.

It would appear to me that the Lightning connector, being digital, and with an DAC in the actual headphone, is going to offer a superior audio result on technical grounds over the previous analogue 3.5mm jack.

The supplied adaptor looks to be sufficient to manage legacy phones with 3.5mm plugs only.

Those with detachable cables, such as the B&O H6, are in a good position to implement their own lightning connectors/DAC solution cables, and I hope this will happen - the increase in audio quality for little outlay is very appealing indeed.

It's a win win in my book

Cheers

John.. 

Page 3 of 3 (42 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL