rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 2 Followers

Henrik
Top 500 Contributor
Norway
Posts 165
Bronze Member
Henrik Posted: Thu, Sep 1 2016 2:37 PM

Just read that B&W released a bluetooth version of their top notch P7 headphones, allegedly to be ready for the launch of a new iPhone 7 sans 3,5mm minijack. With this, the competition in the premium wireless headphone segment tightens, and if the new iPhone 7 is indeed launched without minijack, what producer of headphones would dare launch anything but wireless from now on?

I'm quite satisfied with my H6 at the time, but If I want to change my iPhone anytime soon I'll also need new headphones. The H8 doesn't tempt me. I'm an over-ear guy. I prefer the over-ear fit, and it has the added bonus of keeping my ears warm during the norwegian winter. :-) The H7 is somewhat tempting, but sadly lacks Active Noise Cancellation. So...?

When will we see a "Beoplay H9" do you suppose? Over-ear design, ANC and wireless in one package. That would close the deal for me. But lets take the thought further: What would it take, technically, to make wireless headphones that also supported Beolink Multiroom over Wifi, in addition to bluetooth? Imagine having bluetooth for when you are on the go outside and Wifi/Beolink at home. They would behave like any other Beolink device, appearing in the Beomusic app. This would make it easy to push the sound from the TV to my headphones, for when I didn't want to disturb anyone else at home, for instance. Or I could listen to music in the living room on my Moment, but take the music with me in the headphones for a few minutes when going to another room, without disturbing others. Then take off the headphones and continue listening in the living room when I returned.

B&O could even make a pair of "Bang & Olufsen" branded headphones again, as opposed to the Beoplay ones. Any other ideas? What do all the clever minds on this forum think about the technical feasability of this? And would there be sufficient demand for such a product?

-h.

Henrik
Top 500 Contributor
Norway
Posts 165
Bronze Member
Henrik replied on Sat, Sep 3 2016 10:30 PM

http://www.lydogbilde.no/nyheter/hodetelefoner/tradlost-og-stoyfritt

And there comes another one... Sennheiser PCX 550. And I also forgot to mention Bose QC35.

So, B&O?

Forget about the beolink, then, if it's too complicated. It can come later, and the "Bang & Olufsen" branding with it. But, pretty please, at least get a wireless, over-ear, ANC "Beoplay H9" on the marked! :-p

One can only dream...

-h.

Paul W
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Sat, Sep 3 2016 10:36 PM

Hi Henrik!

Don't forget Apple are producing a dongle connector with a DAC in that allows you to connect 3.5mm jack headphones to it so all is not lost. I'd rather have cables than bluetooth for headphones being honest!

OMG, You've had the same idea as me with the fact that there is certainly room for BANG&OLUFSEN headphones in a different price, market segment to the B&O styles. 

Certainly the PLAY range of headphones compliments both the B&W and Sennheiser Momentum ranges which I really really like as well. All three brands are super.

On a different note, a pal of mine bought the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 Edge yesterday (it has't explode yet!) and it still has the headphone socket. Really amazing camera on it. We did some filming on it at the gym last night and the low light level ability of it was truly fantastic.

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Badsey, UK
Posts 3,423
Gold Member
And this man agrees with you Paul. My H8's aren't the same using Bluetooth either.

http://www.afr.com/technology/mobiles-and-tablets/apple/steve-wozniak-says-apple-must-fix-iphone-7-bluetooth-or-revive-its-headphone-jack-20160821-gqxwsg

Beovision 10, Beolab 2, Beosound 2(old Skool) Beolit 15, Beoplay A2 Active

BEOVOX141
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark, West
Posts 702
Silver Member
BEOVOX141 replied on Sun, Sep 4 2016 12:13 PM

Henrik:

What would it take, technically, to make wireless headphones that also supported Beolink Multiroom over Wifi

A cellphone-sized battery,- the rest is cakewalk!

An added benefit would be the chance of a much better audio quality since you wouldn't have to rely on a compressed, low bitrate, high latency BT connection! Smile

Paul W
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Sun, Sep 4 2016 1:25 PM

WiFi in headphones is crazy. There is STILL NO long term studies with regards to WiFi, DNA structure interference to the human body. To have any WiFi receiving equipment put that close to the brain is crazy. France is currently baking WiFi in its primary school and going back to Ethernet connection. Even Bluetooth is too new to see long term damage to the human body. Why mankind cannot continue to use reliable wire to connect headphones is beyond me. It offers better sound quality and 100% no dropout reliability. 

Thanks for the Steve W article Chris. :)

Paul W
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Sun, Sep 4 2016 1:26 PM

*Replacing not baking!

Cyrus1
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Bronze Member
Cyrus1 replied on Sun, Oct 9 2016 6:49 PM

There is a H9 coming near december. Same as H7 more or less but with ANC. Price around 500 USD or more

paolomariano
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Bronze Member
Cyrus1:

There is a H9 coming near december. Same as H7 more or less but with ANC. Price around 500 USD or more

So, what would it make it different from an H8?
hadr
Top 500 Contributor
Switzerland
Posts 83
Bronze Member
hadr replied on Sun, Oct 9 2016 8:44 PM
paolomariano:

So, what would it make it different from an H8?

H8 is on-ear, H9 will - supposedly - be over-ear as is the H6 and H7. So just the form factor will change, as both H8 and H9 will be Bluetooth headphones with ANC...
Henrik
Top 500 Contributor
Norway
Posts 165
Bronze Member
Henrik replied on Wed, Nov 16 2016 11:00 PM

Ok, so I'm browsing on amazon, trying a search just because why not... aaaand:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bang-Olufsen-BeoPlay-1643672-H9-Bluetooth-Headphones/dp/B01M68J83Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1479336927&sr=8-1&keywords=beoplay+h9

I took screenshots, but I'm having trouble uploading pictures to this forum. Does the link work? This seems legit, doesn't it? Release december 15 then. From the picture they look very much (or: exactly) like the H7, as expected, but notice the slightly darker grey of the plastic when comparing to the picture of the H7. It's not the same picture, at least.

-h.

Henrik
Top 500 Contributor
Norway
Posts 165
Bronze Member
Henrik replied on Wed, Nov 16 2016 11:04 PM

Now I noticed the small microphones, similar to the H8, that are not present on the H7. So clearly not the same picture, no.

-h.

Lars Ladingkaer
Not Ranked
Denmark
Posts 49
Bronze Member

Link to article in danish

Link to Google translated article

Regards, Lars

Editor in Chief, recordere.dk
Danish online magazine for consumer electronics

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS