rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 38 Replies | 2 Followers

Andrew
Top 100 Contributor
Frinton, UK
829 Posts
Silver Member
Andrew posted on Thu, Aug 25 2016 11:25 AM

It is sad that so many B&O shops are closing with just a few B&O owned shops remaining, however I dont think it is altogether surprising. 

I mostly shop local but high streets in general are changing massively, they have become mecca to ladies fashion - I went into an M&S shop the other day and 2/3 of it was dominated by female fashion, the remainder was kids or mens clothes. The same with the high street, make up shops, nail bars, places to eat, fashion shops, discount shops. No music shops, HiFi or TV shops or anything that I would be interested in. No more traditional pubs where you can smoke an e-cig and have a pint without kids running round and people eating gastro lunches, no more junk/antique shops in fact nothing that would entice a 50 year old make into a high street. Maybe John Lewis though but hardly worth the effort after driving clogged streets and extortionate parking charges.

The situation doesn't get better on the outskirts of our major towns and cities, what with parking restrictions everywhere - I can understand the argument for being green but train prices are also extortionate.

Unfortunately the majority of the general public prefer to buy TV's or Hifi's from out of town retail parks alongside the likes of B&Q, Pet and Garden places etc. 

I don't know what the answer is and am saddened that our high streets have become so uninteresting - the B&O shops closing make them even less interesting. Fortunately it's not all bad - there are places like Norwich that do have a B&O shop, do have record shops and everything else that appeals to both men and women - and it is worth the 60 mile drive. 

I'd be interested to know what peoples views are of their high streets and if there is a trend that the shops are closing where the clothes shops dominate or if it is due to a change in consumer purchasing habits - maybe if it is a change in habit combined with clothes shops then a move maybe to have B&O in John Lewis in the same way they do in Selfridges and Harrods - at least we would be able to get to see new stuff in the flesh and compared to the competition I am sure they would do very well?

All Replies

jowus
Top 500 Contributor
104 Posts
Bronze Member
jowus replied on Thu, Aug 25 2016 5:09 PM
πŸ˜€πŸ˜„πŸ‘πŸΏπŸ‘πŸΏπŸ‘ŒπŸΎ. Wow!!! Simon, thanks for being there for your Bipolar Friend!!! I mean, not all Wise People think the same. Please give him a Chance to express himself.
Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Badsey, UK
3,340 Posts
Gold Member

Just to knock this why B&O stores are closing nonsense on the head. 

TV viewing per capita. Top, the USA. Next and with the lowest levels of obesity and cancer on the planet.......Japan.

http://www.statista.com/statistics/276748/average-daily-tv-viewing-time-per-person-in-selected-countries/

Beovision Eclipse, BeoLab 17,Beolit 15, Beoplay A2 Active

jowus
Top 500 Contributor
104 Posts
Bronze Member
jowus replied on Thu, Aug 25 2016 5:42 PM
I thought this topic is about "Closing of B&O Shops" now is over the Place. The little That I can say about the Stores Closing, I don't think B&O is made for the So called Rich People, if that were to be the case B&O wouldn't have had the Problems there are facing, because the Rich are getting Richer. B&O is for People with Good Taste and Style. I don't consider myself as a Rich Man but I'll Spend my Last $ on B&O to enjoy it in my house. And not all Rich People has Very Good Taste, and the Young Generation has their own way of Style in this Generation which is the BeoPlay. They might be Rich but, is hard for them to Spend $10,000 on a Speaker, because when you talk to them, they'll tell you Frankly, that's not for them. I'm Glad they came up with the BeoPlay for them as time goes on they'll upgrade.
Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,633 Posts
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Thu, Aug 25 2016 6:23 PM

Some interesting posts in this thread. All my life I've heard Europeans whine about "Ugly Americans" but it appears that there are a significant number of "Ugly Europeans" or "Ugly Brits" wandering about as well, who are perfectly willing to indulge in insulting stereotypes about Americans. 

I guess ignorance, self-righteousness, and insular thinking is common world wide sadly.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
11,629 Posts
Bronze Member

Bollox is bollox in whatever language its written! Ironically (in this case only) there was a thread of sense in the post - right up until it veered off into the Tofu fuelled, self-righteous newage hippy nonsense.

Why blame the americans, why not ourselves for forging the millennial generation (also known as the Kardashian generation), 70% of whom consider being able to post photographs of their genitals on the internet as a lifeskill or else thinks it makes them technically proficient. Maybe they've done a degree on reality tv or the complete history of Friends. Most consider manual labour beneath them. Why is being, fat, idle, uneducated and uninteresed anyone's problem but ours and our year upon years of insipid, ineffectual, politically correct, self serving governments.

Ban boring signatures!

Andrew
Top 100 Contributor
Frinton, UK
829 Posts
Silver Member
Andrew replied on Thu, Aug 25 2016 7:19 PM

We do appear to have gone off my original thread - thanks Paul! -  your are entitled to your views as much as anyone else, however perhaps they could be expressed in a more educated, elegant way so as not to cause offence - if not then fine - they are always entertaining

Standing up for the US - most of the blogs about minimalism and simple living all originate from the US - there are a couple from the UK and non that I can find from Europe. They advocate the kind of life I personally would like to live. However most of the life lessons I have learnt - rightly or wrongly - on minimising, cutting down, buying good quality, eating healthily, spending time outdoors and not watching TV have been reaffirmed and the ideas born from these Americans - perhaps the reality is different and of course it is a small minority - but then America is a much bigger country than the UK. 

I agree with Jowus in that money does not equal taste - back in college we called it socio economic grouping which was basically some people will aspire to one thing, one to another - in my years following college neither is right or wrong and we should respect peoples choices. 

We look at this site because we either love the old B&O or the new - neither is right or wrong and either doesn't equal taste or education. Just as voting in or out in the UK is not a measure of ones education - I know lots of people that voted either way and not for uneducated reasons, but for reasoned arguments, so I doubt that can be used as any measure of education and many of these like Chris are in high powered jobs that require tremendous skill and knowledge, some aren't and they voted to stay in! Anyway, this thread isn't about the rights and wrongs of brexit - we voted to leave and the world hasn't ended - we are meant to be an international community on this site that share, respect and learn from each others cultures - let's keep it that way. 

Back to my original thread, which I apologise should have been posted in lifestyle, and did not mean to cause this argument - do we still have high streets that we want to visit or has the world, apart from East Anglia, UK, gone Mall and clothes shop crazy and where does the future of B&O lie - yes, the Play range is incredibly important and will draw in and suit young customers - but what about the rest of us?

Chris
Top 75 Contributor
Ostend-BE
1,169 Posts
Bronze Member
Chris replied on Fri, Aug 26 2016 7:34 AM

Jeff:

Some interesting posts in this thread. All my life I've heard Europeans whine about "Ugly Americans" but it appears that there are a significant number of "Ugly Europeans" or "Ugly Brits" wandering about as well, who are perfectly willing to indulge in insulting stereotypes about Americans. 

I guess ignorance, self-righteousness, and insular thinking is common world wide sadly.

So true. As German theologian Dietrich Bonhoeffer once said:  "In ordinary life, we hardly realize that we receive a great deal more than we give, and that it is only with gratitude that life becomes rich."

With all of the hype surrounding the internet, entrepreneurs, small-business owners and marketers often overlook the importance of offline marketing. An offline-online blend is vital to a successful marketing strategy. They should be more focused on delivering value and evangelizing their customers at every possible touch point. The use of social media is very important in this, be involved in the same social media channels as your customers. Do a exercise in human psychology and find that focus has to be on social and content marketing.

B&O has not yet managed to defy the trend and adapt its business model to the changing times. With online retailing giants like Amazon dominating the electronic retail segment, B&O has to come up with new strategies to retain its loyal customer base. They simply have to choose a new strategy “price match guarantee” which matches the prices of its products by with the lowest ones available online.  By doing so, the retailer could been able to capture customers who otherwise would have simply visited its stores to browse electronic products and ordered them later online. They have to support also their dealers a lot more as they actually do now, because unlike the big online retailing giants a dealer has to pay all of those people who work in its stores and the overhead of rent and electricity, etc. 

The strategy B&O is following now comes with a cost to dealers and puts the retail store margins under pressure, forcing the company to restructure its business operations. 

At the end, it’s all about understanding people to create a real human connection between the customer and brand.

"Believe nothing you read and only half of what you see, let your ears tell you the truth."

Barry Santini
Top 150 Contributor
New York
473 Posts
Bronze Member
The strategy should be one of efficiencies:

Play to your product strengths

Price premium but not too much

Reduce overhead γƒΌ That means less emphasis on B&M stores with fixed high overheads

Faster product updates

MUCH BETTER software and updates

Put me in charge πŸ‘Ό
The Beonic Man
Top 150 Contributor
Bristol
613 Posts
Gold Member

Hi Jeff,

I'd like to apologise for my recent posts, which having read back, I feel very uncomfortable about having written and submitted publicly. I can't explain what my mindset was at the time of writing and I am not really sure either why I felt I needed to jump in on the back of Paul W's comments. Either way, my views were attacking and stereotyping towards the USA as you suggested and I regret saying them. Perhaps my own low mood was starting to kick in and at these times I can be quite negative and not always exercise self control, although no excuse.

Sincere apologies for any offence caused, Simon.

Current products: BV11-46, BV8-32, V1-32, A1

5:8:13
Not Ranked
UK
48 Posts
Bronze Member
5:8:13 replied on Sun, Aug 28 2016 4:06 PM

There is a B&O shop in Colchester - near the castle

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,633 Posts
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sun, Aug 28 2016 4:10 PM

BAND'OH!:

Hi Jeff,

I'd like to apologise for my recent posts, which having read back, I feel very uncomfortable about having written and submitted publicly. I can't explain what my mindset was at the time of writing and I am not really sure either why I felt I needed to jump in on the back of Paul W's comments. Either way, my views were attacking and stereotyping towards the USA as you suggested and I regret saying them. Perhaps my own low mood was starting to kick in and at these times I can be quite negative and not always exercise self control, although no excuse.

Sincere apologies for any offence caused, Simon.

Thank you Simon! No harm done. We do have one or two posters who can't seem to help themselves, I usually don't say anything but the stereotypes get tiresome after a while. Appreciate your thoughts.

Sorry you're having a low mood, but I can relate. I tend to try and behave here as it's more of an international forum and you never know who is from where, but on a US political forum you should see how I post! Something of a Jekyll and Hyde thing, my natural sarcasm comes to the fore quite a bit there.

I will say that in my trips to the UK I have found the people to be wonderfully polite and helpful, and I think most Europeans who come to the States find the same. Stereotypes often fade when you are with people face to face thankfully.

As for McDonald's, I don't eat there more than maybe once every two years when I'm on the road and there's no other option other than going hungry. But, even in foreign lands they are successful, which kind of boggles my mind. They do have decent coffee though, and much cheaper than Starbucks!

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

StUrrock
Top 100 Contributor
976 Posts
Bronze Member
5:8:13:

There is a B&O shop in Colchester - near the castle

What limited company is it owned by?
Sandyb
Top 75 Contributor
1,554 Posts
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Sun, Aug 28 2016 5:56 PM

Re positioning, i doubt that B&O would find much joy in John Lewis, though i'd love to be proved wrong.....they stand a chance of selling some units in Selfridges and Harrods, as some of the customers are flush, and there is a bit of feel good about shopping there......John Lewis is a more functional experience, and far from the worst, but i suspect very few of their customers are of a mindset to drop 5k on a tv.......

Re the changing face of the high street, its a bit depressing in that they are so generic....in some ways thats isn't all bad, where we have lost in variety, we have probably gained in average overall quality and consistency, and i;m not fan of the coffee and sandwich chains....i am optimistic to a degree though, as when it pertains to food, for numerous reasons i guess, there has been a decent increase in independent food providers, from pop ups, to butchers and fruit and veg stores - i see some of this around me, and my supermkt visits have dwindled happily, so its made a real difference....mayeb just a London thing, but still.....

Back to how this all pertains to AV, a lot of comments above have taken a very critical macro view, and some of the critiques of the modern economy are fair, but i look at this differently.......like it or loathe it, people in general value convenience over quality, we see this when it comes to music, and with people generally listening to music a lot more whilst mobile, the money goes into quality headphones first....thoughts about spending premium+ money on a B&O system are very distant........the question for B&O is whether there is enough of an audience for them to be profitable, i certainly hope so......i've got plenty of pretty well off friends in London, virtually none of whom have any B&O product, nor even considered a purchase.....

benoit
Top 150 Contributor
North East France
615 Posts
Bronze Member
benoit replied on Sun, Aug 28 2016 7:27 PM

BAND'OH!:

I'll also add that I am half Greek half English, and can tell you that the Greeks have never embraced McDonalds since it opened in Greece. The restaurants are often empty with Greeks being much more loyal to the Greek equivalent, which is a lot healthier. The Greeks are very passionate about keeping Greece Greek, and not losing their identity to the USA. I don't blame the USA for this, not at all, and I am not trying to be political, but I do want to give credence to Pauls arguments because I believe them to be correct and while the English may disagree (clearly judging by some of your responses) the Greeks and many other Europeans would understand exactly with what he presents, and that's fact.

I completely agree with you and Paul! As the time passes I spend less and less in always replacing my goods for the latest out and prefer to spend my money in several travels every year to enjoy my life with friends and family or for my social life. Some years ago I was really crazy (even addicted) in B&O, luxury watches, or design furnitures but now that I'm maybe more mature in my early forties I noticed that having 3 B&O HiFi in the same room or 5 Rolexes at the same time, or to buy a new expensive sofa every 3 years doesn't make me more happy... Of course I enjoy to live in a nice place that reflects my personality with stuff that I like but LIFE for me is something else now than only consuming and I try not to be influenced by the masses anymore.

And yes Goody's burgers are much more popular and tasteful then McDo Wink and being 5-6 times / year in Greece, I think that despite the severe crisis imposed by IMF and EU, they try to enjoy their lives and probably much more than the 'sheep of Panurge'...

Just my 2 cents!

Barry Santini
Top 150 Contributor
New York
473 Posts
Bronze Member
B&O:

Everyday I turn on the BV9 TV

Listen to the rumble of the BL5s

Watch Wheeler Dealers on my kitchen 10-32 w/BL11

Listen to my Beocenter 2 audio

Enjoy MQA through my H2s

Listen to my latest CD purchase on my BS9000

Enjoy my BS5

Just what is not worth it about the above?

I spend as much on a 5 day resort vacay with spa.
Page 2 of 3 (39 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL