What is the best TV B&O ever made?

rated by 0 users
This post has 59 Replies | 1 Follower

BeoET
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 73
Bronze Member
BeoET replied on Fri, Dec 15 2017 1:39 PM

Found this thread, which is still relevant, I think.

But having and still watching one of the best design BV's ever (the BV5) also represent a challenge: I want to upgrade to min. a FullHD BV with HDMI inputs, but my wife (she's an architect...) does not want to replace the iconic and timeless BV5 furniture / piece of art with a lesser good-looking TV.  Just how the 4 corners of the aluminium frame of the BV5 have been laid out, is a buty in itself, IMO.

This upgrade decision is therefore one of the most challenging we've been through, balancing: design, functionality (backward ML-compatibility), picture quality, longevity, usability (with the other B&O systems we have), price and build quality. So - can the BV12-65 or BV11-55 or Eclipse match the BV5 when the TV is turned off??

BV Eclipse 65, BV5, BS Core, BL5, BL8000, BS9000, Beolit 12, A1, A2, P2, H8, H9i, H7, E8

badgersurf
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 529
Gold Member
KMA
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 569
Bronze Member
KMA replied on Fri, Dec 15 2017 5:02 PM
BeoET:

This upgrade decision is therefore one of the most challenging we've been through, balancing: design, functionality (backward ML-compatibility), picture quality, longevity, usability (with the other B&O systems we have), price and build quality. So - can the BV12-65 or BV11-55 or Eclipse match the BV5 when the TV is turned off??

I've always considered BeoVision 11 a more modern version of BV5. Absolutely beautiful when switched off. The construction of the TV and how the aluminium frame has been designed and put together is just perfect.

Also, in many ways, BeoVision 11 is the "last true BeoVision". In my few years of ownerwhip, I never had a single issue with it. Pure B&O, right down to its operation and simplistic user interface. The audio engine is good for years to come, if you ever want to add BeoLabs. Picture is ways ahead of BV5. Connectivity with old & new B&O products is faultless.

Just throw in an Apple TV, and you have a design classic with up-to-date smart features! I cannot speak highly enough of BV11 – I consider it the perfect successor of BV5.

KMA

B&O product history since 1991: Ridiculously long to list in a signature.

BeoET
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 73
Bronze Member
BeoET replied on Fri, Dec 15 2017 5:26 PM

Agree KMA, the BV11 is a beautiful piece of art - a fantastic BV that's for sure, but: Can the edge-lit LCD display compete with a plasma/OLED wrt black level and viewing angle? Also some issues with dust inside the screen for the BV11 - even if I think that this is not a big issue?

BV Eclipse 65, BV5, BS Core, BL5, BL8000, BS9000, Beolit 12, A1, A2, P2, H8, H9i, H7, E8

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,897
Founder
Peter replied on Fri, Dec 15 2017 6:38 PM

The BV10 and 11 are very good looking - almost seeming to float. However the sound is not in the same ball park as the BV5.

Peter

KMA
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 569
Bronze Member
KMA replied on Fri, Dec 15 2017 7:04 PM
BeoET:

Agree KMA, the BV11 is a beautiful piece of art - a fantastic BV that's for sure, but: Can the edge-lit LCD display compete with a plasma/OLED wrt black level and viewing angle? Also some issues with dust inside the screen for the BV11 - even if I think that this is not a big issue?

Black levels are of course not on OLED levels, but B&O did a good job with the BV11 panel (1.5D local dimming) & Contrast Glass: for an LCD, BV11 got good reviews for contrast. With even a little ambient light in the room, I didn't find the black level to be lacking. Until I saw OLED Big Smile – once you go OLED, there's no going back!

I'm not certain which generation Panasonic plasma panel was used in BV5, but it must have been an early version, given the age of BV5 (HD ready 42" panel). Black levels on early plasmas were not even nearly pitch black, and LCDs have improved a great deal.

I would of course recommend having a viewing session at your dealer. I'm certain however that the black level and picture quality of BV11 will not dissappoint. I found the picture to be the best of any LCD I've owned – and I've owned a few! It is bested by BV7-55, but the design is entirely different too.

Viewing angle is another thing: the colors / contrast of LCDs fade when viewed too far off-axis. BV11's motorized stand comes in handy here to minimize the viewing angle issue.

I recall reading about dust behind the contrast glass on this forum, but I never noticed any dust in my BV11-46 Mk I. I believe B&O improved the sealing with later Marks, latest being Mk IV or V. So I would not worry too much about it.

It's a great TV. My all-time favorite BeoVisions have been Avant 32 RF DVD and BeoVision 11.

KMA

KMA
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 569
Bronze Member
KMA replied on Fri, Dec 15 2017 7:09 PM
Peter:

The BV10 and 11 are very good looking - almost seeming to float. However the sound is not in the same ball park as the BV5.

Peter

I'd like to add that the sound of BV11 is miles ahead of BV10. BV10 sounded weak; with BV11, B&O got the sound in this slender design right (2 x 3-way speakers).

KMA

didole
Not Ranked
Posts 45
Bronze Member
didole replied on Fri, Dec 15 2017 7:28 PM

seethroughyou:
Given the release of two recent TVs not to wide acclaim here, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the best TV ever made by B&O and why you still hold on to it or miss it even now.

Without a single doubt: The original Avant 28" (VHS). The moment I saw it first I knew that this is what I wanted. I saved up for two years until I finally could afford it, and kept it for 10 years.

The Beonic Man
Top 150 Contributor
Bristol
Posts 613
Gold Member

KMA:
I'm not certain which generation Panasonic plasma panel was used in BV5, but it must have been an early version, given the age of BV5 (HD ready 42" panel). Black levels on early plasmas were not even nearly pitch black, and LCDs have improved a great deal.

Possibly Panasonic D5 or D6 panels as the BV9 started from D7 I for the Mk 1 I think. Can't quite remember but Lee would know I am sure.

Current products: BV11-46, BV8-32, V1-32, A1

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 4,797
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Fri, Dec 15 2017 9:37 PM

I've had a lot of B&O TVs and, on balance, the most impressive for me is the BV12-65. Not a single issue or problem since it was installed, superb smooth picture and solidly-made.

Only issue is the centre speaker, which is very basic.

BeoET
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 73
Bronze Member
BeoET replied on Fri, Dec 15 2017 11:02 PM

moxxey:

I've had a lot of B&O TVs and, on balance, the most impressive for me is the BV12-65. Not a single issue or problem since it was installed, superb smooth picture and solidly-made.

Only issue is the centre speaker, which is very basic.

For us a worthy upgrade from the BV5 would be either the BV12-65 (no problem with a bit weak centre speaker - se have BL5 as front speakers) or the BV 11-55 or the Eclipse. A balancing act between design, picture quality and usability (ML multiroom) Indifferent.

KMA
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 569
Bronze Member
KMA replied on Sat, Dec 16 2017 12:56 AM
BeoET:

For us a worthy upgrade from the BV5 would be either the BV12-65 (no problem with a bit weak centre speaker - se have BL5 as front speakers) or the BV 11-55 or the Eclipse. A balancing act between design, picture quality and usability (ML multiroom) .

All so very different, design-wise. A lovely dilemma!

Of those options, with BL5 as fronts, I would go for BV12-65 wall-mounted.

KMA

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Sat, Dec 16 2017 2:04 AM

didole:
Without a single doubt: The original Avant 28" (VHS). The moment I saw it first I knew that this is what I wanted. I saved up for two years until I finally could afford it, and kept it for 10 years.

Agree on the original (David Lewis) Avant. I posted early on this thread my opinion, but now that I have had a chance to think it over, I continue to think that THAT TV was the best TV B&O have ever made. Of course technology moves forward, picture gets better, screens get bigger, but the looks, sturdiness, all-in-one package, connectivity of the original Avant was unsurpassed for its time. Great picture quality, motorized stand, and an inbuilt BeoSystem 1 here in the US. In the EU, you could get a VHS or DVD player built in! It was built like a tank, and looked like nothing else out there.

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 4,797
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Sat, Dec 16 2017 12:25 PM

KMA:

Of those options, with BL5 as fronts, I would go for BV12-65 wall-mounted.

I have a BV12-65 with BL3's on each side and a BL11 sub (I used to have the BL19). Looks amazing, works without flaws, the picture quality is superb, smooth and balanced (unlike the really sharp effect you see on a LED TV).

Hubbe
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 89
Bronze Member
Hubbe replied on Sat, Dec 16 2017 5:32 PM

In my opinion the AV9000 and the original Avant 32". But for their simplicity also the MX series.

The AV9000 still looks impressive after all these years. Especially from the front with its mechanical curtains closed.

They have also made some impressive flatscreens. There are none who has stayed in my memory as the older televisions from the 80´s and 90´s.

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,455
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Sat, Dec 16 2017 5:56 PM

To me, personally, the finest BV in being a complete, well sorted out BV is the BV11, elegant, good sounding, stand alone simplicity and style.

The best picture, and personally the one I'd own, BV12NG. The last run Panasonic plasma panels, used by Panasonic in the VT and ZT series sets, was IMO the finest plasma panel ever released, even met and exceeded the Kuro standards. Amazing smoothness and black level and contrast. I've yet to sit down and get a demo of OLED that proves to me it's superior in any way that actually matters, the black levels on the last gen plasmas were so good. I am completely satisfied with my VT65 Panasonic plasma, as I remember the BV12 was just a tiny bit better, but hard to tell unless side by side.

To me these are the last two "real" Beovisions, where they improved the image quality and delivered a complete, integrated, system worthy of the BV name.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

bramble
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 340
Bronze Member
bramble replied on Sat, Dec 16 2017 7:07 PM
Beovision 5 for me........would still have it...if it wasn't for technology / hdmi.[:\'(]

Beovision 7 40 mk 5 ,beovision 6x3,   beosound 3000, beogram 3300 , 2 x lc2, 2 x beocom 1401, beocom 6000 x 2,  5 x beo4, 

, 4 x beolab 4's, form 2, h2, a2,a1 and a beolab 2 😀😀

BeoET
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 73
Bronze Member
BeoET replied on Sat, Dec 16 2017 8:07 PM

Strange - I thought that someone now would claim that the Eclipse is the best TV B&O ever made!

If we had ended up buying the Eclipse (if we only had new Wisa speakers and no other B&O equipment that we still wanted to use in a simple, integrated way...), I think we might voted for the Eclipse...

Our vote still goes to the BV5, but I think we'll now upgrade to a pre-owned BV12-65 NG (or possibly a BV11-55), and after that we'll have to reconsider our vote...

olvisab
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,358
Silver Member
olvisab replied on Sat, Dec 16 2017 8:50 PM

I got the bv 5, 11, the 7 55 bury them all. But the 5 was a wonderfull all in one tv.

beolab 5, beolab 9, beolab 3, beolab 10, beolab 5000, beolab 8000, beolab 3500, IWS 2000, beovision 7 55 mk2,  beotime, beogram 7000 white mmc2, beosound ouverture, beosound essence, beomaster 900 RG de luxe and the collection continues...

Master123456789
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 211
Bronze Member

The best tv design:

- MX6000-7000-8000
- BV 8
- BV 11
- BV Horizon

not necessarily in this order ;-)

Page 2 of 2 (60 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate