rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 160 Replies | 2 Followers

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
7,217 Posts
Founder
9 LEE posted on Wed, Aug 3 2016 11:13 AM

I thought I'd start this thread as there seems to be a general malaise at the moment. The forum is pretty slow (it is every Summer though, in fairness - but it seems very slow at the moment). eBay is deathly quiet with items making peanuts - and even LifeStyle AV is pretty quiet by our standards when it comes to enquiries and questions. 

The reason for the question is that I wonder how everyone is feeling about Bang & Olufsen at the moment. I don't seem to get a sense of excitement from anyone, and wondered why this is?

Over to you.. Am I wrong?

Lee

All Replies

Beer_Baron
Not Ranked
Australia
57 Posts
Bronze Member

Beer_Baron:

For example, B&O don't make screens but purchase high quality screens from other manufacturers, and have their beautiful designs around that. So they should be designed from the start to be upgradeable. Another example: the DVD tray in the original BV7 is still magical, and has a wow factor. This should be upgradeable to Blu-ray, then Blu-ray 3D, etc.

There are plenty of BV7s around, some being sold for really low prices. Everything about them works, but they need new screens, new players, new connectivity, new decoders, etc. So have a "re-release" whereby they can be gutted and rebuilt to the latest standards, while retaining the shell and design.

You could even have a scheme where plasma screens can be replaced by the latest LCD screens (but not yet - I think most plasmas still have years of life left).

(Part of) the original post... I think $$ would preclude annual upgrades as some have suggested. My idea was more geared to upgrading older screens with modern ones, as well as gutting the internal boards and replacing with modern electronics. A substantial rebuild. Might be easier to do with old plasma > upgrade to new OLED, because they would have so much more room in the chassis.

The key would be to design from the start with modularity in mind. Not quite plug-and-play, but having an eye to future upgrade-ability. I would guess that a substantial gutting and rebuild would still involve considerable R&D costs, that needs to be amortised over an unknown number of units. One way to reduce that R&D cost is to be able to take the screen and guts from a modern BeoVision that already has the electronics R&D'd, and retro-fitting those parts into an older chassis.

I can dream, can't I?

BV6-26, BV7-40, BL7.4, BL3, BL5, BS9000, BC1, ES1, Beo4, BeoPort

The Beonic Man
Top 150 Contributor
Bristol
810 Posts
Gold Member

Simonbeo:
However the horizon doesn't appeal so the cash waiting in my account may go on a Fiat 124 Spider. 

LOL great minds think alike! I am looking at that car or the 2012+ Boxster, with the latter being so hard to dismiss due to its great resale value against the Fiat, but I do like the new MX5 lookalike, especially the Abarth!

BV11-46, BV8-32, V1-32, BS2, P6, A1, H95, E8, BR1, Beo4, Essence

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
1,810 Posts
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Sun, Aug 28 2016 1:19 AM

It's fabulous to see Fiat making the 124 again although i'm super disappointed that it's based on the MX5 - a car that I couldn't warm too. I love the feel of Fiat's. As a child, a sexy girl down my street always drove the X19. Nice car.

Band'Oh do take into account the cost of running the Boxster. Servicing and repairs. I once had a BMW 3 series and kept it for far too long. I had it for five years during my university days. It was a nightmare - £400 overtime it needed a repair, £400 for every service, nothing but stress, sadness and worry - that's when I realised buying a brand new car made sense! It was certainly worry free!

The Beonic Man
Top 150 Contributor
Bristol
810 Posts
Gold Member

Hi Paul,

Very good points about the running of the car. I probably won't buy another car as I am very content with everything I own currently but its nice to think about it all the same. Sometimes the gratification is knowing you can buy these things if you want to, but then not actually buying them because you know you don't really need them! I love my i10 actually (Hyundai) - best car I have ever owned on so many levels.

Interestingly, I had an X19 in my younger days; bought it over a TR7, which were known to be highly problematic mechanically and rust buckets. Also had the Fiat Coupe 16V, and Peugeot 205 1.6GTi back in the early 90s and what a fab car the Peugeot was; and, it saved them from going under!

That's what B&O need to come out with, a 205 1.6/1.9GTi product equivalent that sells like hot cakes and gets them noticed again!

bayerische
Top 25 Contributor
Ekenäs, Finland
4,770 Posts
Bronze Member

Razlaw:
15/16 annual and fourth quarter reports are now posted on B and O web page.

Nice to see them making money again.

Too long to list.... 

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
2,553 Posts
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Sun, Aug 28 2016 12:54 PM
bayerische:

Nice to see them making money again.

Too long to list....

There is a thread "latest B&O annual report" that was started when the results were released. Whilst things have improved significantly I'm struggling to see that the company is making money now.
9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
7,217 Posts
Founder
9 LEE replied on Sun, Aug 28 2016 1:06 PM

BAND'OH!:

Interestingly, I had an X19 in my younger days; bought it over a TR7, which were known to be highly problematic mechanically and rust buckets. 

X19's were also highly problematic rust buckets!! Laughing

Lee

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
11,729 Posts
Bronze Member

9 LEE:

BAND'OH!:

Interestingly, I had an X19 in my younger days; bought it over a TR7, which were known to be highly problematic mechanically and rust buckets. 

Lee

My brother had an eye for these things, he had a Spitfire mkIV, followed by an X19 (or sewing machine as it was universally known) and then a sh! tty brown TR7 with vinyl roof.

Suffice to say I never took him with me when I went to buy a car!!

Ban boring signatures!

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,793 Posts
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sun, Aug 28 2016 3:58 PM

Puncher:

9 LEE:

BAND'OH!:

Lee

My brother had an eye for these things, he had a Spitfire mkIV, followed by an X19 (or sewing machine as it was universally known) and then a sh! tty brown TR7 with vinyl roof.

Suffice to say I never took him with me when I went to buy a car!!

Big Smile I remember back when I worked selling stereo gear, it was a Fiat centric shop, the owner had an X1/9, and two other guys had 124 Spyders. Beautiful car, marred by the most awkward driving position I've ever seen, and horrible rust and mechanical issues. The X/19 was worse. I remember we started a pool as to whether the owner would be in the Fiat or dropped off by his girlfriend each day, because the car was in the shop! There was a garage in town known for working on every kind of import, they had a band painted on the building at the top with all the different makes listed, MG, Triumph, Porsche, and the Fiat name was crossed out in bright red paint in a huge X over it. Guess he got fed up with them. Our tech was sitting at a stop light in his 124 once when the fuel line shredded and, owing to how it was routed, dumped gas on the distributor, BOOM, minor explosion that blew the hood off the car! Fortunately it put the fire out too.

My wife has a 2001 Miata that has had exactly one thing break on it, 3 years in the camshaft position sensor went, other than that, nothing in 15+ years and over 90,000 miles, even has the original convertible top. I was kind of excited to see there would be a Fiat version with different engines until I read that the Fiat 500 is both the least reliable and most un-crashworthy car sold in the US. I had hoped they would have improved more.

But, a good choice I think avoiding the TR7, probably not as big a problem in the UK but over here in any hot climate, like Florida where I lived, they had a reputation for overheating and warping the heads as well as other mechanical and rust issues. Back then I had a VW Scirocco, not quite as sexy but very reliable. Wish I still had it, what a fun little car it was.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

The Beonic Man
Top 150 Contributor
Bristol
810 Posts
Gold Member

LOL it's true, the X19 was a terrible rust bucket also! Although, to be fair it wasn't too bad mechanically. Perhaps I was a lucky owner but it didn't cost me any more than any other car to run and maintain back in the day. I loved the targa top on it and of course the pop up headlights. They were mini TR7s in many ways but I'll be honest, it was always the TR7 I preferred, just couldn't afford one and the 2.0l insurance was much higher for me as a youngster than the 1.5l X19. My dad had the TR3A, TR4 and TR6 and hated the TR7/8s so never bought one, and it turned out neither did I! Of course any of these cars are all classics now! Good old days motoring... everything's far too reliable these days!!! :)

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,793 Posts
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Mon, Aug 29 2016 2:52 AM

BAND'OH!:

LOL it's true, the X19 was a terrible rust bucket also! Although, to be fair it wasn't too bad mechanically. Perhaps I was a lucky owner but it didn't cost me any more than any other car to run and maintain back in the day. I loved the targa top on it and of course the pop up headlights. They were mini TR7s in many ways but I'll be honest, it was always the TR7 I preferred, just couldn't afford one and the 2.0l insurance was much higher for me as a youngster than the 1.5l X19. My dad had the TR3A, TR4 and TR6 and hated the TR7/8s so never bought one, and it turned out neither did I! Of course any of these cars are all classics now! Good old days motoring... everything's far too reliable these days!!! :)

The biggest problem I knew about was shared with I think the 128 sedan, and that was the timing belt on the motor. They needed to be changed every 20k miles or so or they'd break, and there was no piston to valve clearance. There was an Abarth heavy duty belt that was better, at least I think it was Abarth, it was a racing part. I had a buddy who got rid of his old Oldsmobile land yacht for a 128 sedan and thought he had a sports car. One time he drives up while I was walking through the parking lot, we chat a bit, then he takes off by reving it up, dumping the clutch, and then speed shifting to 2nd. That's when the timing belt broke...I have never heard such a sound before or since, an amazing sound of tearing metal as the car locked up the wheels and lurched to a halt. Just an unholy sound. Cost him a new head, including valves and cams, and 2 pistons that had half of a valve apiece shoved through them. 

Cars were indeed a lot more "interesting" back then. 

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Page 11 of 11 (161 items) « First ... < Previous 7 8 9 10 11 | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL