rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 160 Replies | 2 Followers

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
7,215 Posts
Founder
9 LEE posted on Wed, Aug 3 2016 11:13 AM

I thought I'd start this thread as there seems to be a general malaise at the moment. The forum is pretty slow (it is every Summer though, in fairness - but it seems very slow at the moment). eBay is deathly quiet with items making peanuts - and even LifeStyle AV is pretty quiet by our standards when it comes to enquiries and questions. 

The reason for the question is that I wonder how everyone is feeling about Bang & Olufsen at the moment. I don't seem to get a sense of excitement from anyone, and wondered why this is?

Over to you.. Am I wrong?

Lee

All Replies

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
4,301 Posts
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Thu, Aug 11 2016 6:27 PM
15/16 annual and fourth quarter reports are now posted on B and O web page.

Beolab 28s Beolab 9s Beolab 12-3s Beolab 1s Beolab 6000s 2 pairs Beolab 4000s Beovision 7-55 Beovision 10-40 Beoplay V1 32 inch Beovision Avant 32 inch Beosound 1 (CD player) Beosound 3000 Beosound 5 Core Essence MKII Beoplay M5

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
2,552 Posts
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Thu, Aug 11 2016 6:42 PM
Thanks for the tip let's take a look.
Beer_Baron
Not Ranked
Australia
57 Posts
Bronze Member

An interesting thread - I sure hope B&O monitor threads like this.

I have a few thoughts on what is best about B&O, and what is not so great but desirable:

• Simplicity
  • Elegance
  • Originality
  • Connectivity
  • Reliability
  • Longevity

It's the last three items on the list that B&O currently fall down on; the last item significantly. These should be pieces that are functional for decades, not replaced every few years. How can this be improved? Let me explain...

For example, B&O don't make screens but purchase high quality screens from other manufacturers, and have their beautiful designs around that. So they should be designed from the start to be upgradeable. Another example: the DVD tray in the original BV7 is still magical, and has a wow factor. This should be upgradeable to Blu-ray, then Blu-ray 3D, etc.

There are plenty of BV7s around, some being sold for really low prices. Everything about them works, but they need new screens, new players, new connectivity, new decoders, etc. So have a "re-release" whereby they can be gutted and rebuilt to the latest standards, while retaining the shell and design.

You could even have a scheme where plasma screens can be replaced by the latest LCD screens (but not yet - I think most plasmas still have years of life left).

If major items can last for decades instead of years, B&O can focus on design, at which they excel. Who cares about the internal electronics, they will be outdated before they even leave the factory floor. Allow the internals to be modified and upgradeable. At major points have a marketing "re-release" of significant iconic B&O pieces, where owners can pay to significantly upgrade screens and internals.

I won't purchase new B&O now - all I have to do is wait a few years for a really good deal because the value drops so quickly. Having a system in place for longevity will significantly enhance resale values - in fact, owners won't sell, thus driving demand back up for new pieces.

BV6-26, BV7-40, BL7.4, BL3, BL5, BS9000, BC1, ES1, Beo4, BeoPort

The Beonic Man
Top 150 Contributor
Bristol
810 Posts
Gold Member

Nice idea but I am not entirely sure I agree this would be a sustainable business model for B&O, much as it might benefit the consumer!!

BV11-46, BV8-32, V1-32, BS2, P6, A1, H95, E8, BR1, Beo4, Essence

Chris
Top 75 Contributor
Ostend-BE
1,170 Posts
Bronze Member
Chris replied on Fri, Aug 26 2016 5:09 AM

Beer_Baron:

An interesting thread - I sure hope B&O monitor threads like this.

I have a few thoughts on what is best about B&O, and what is not so great but desirable:

• Simplicity
  • Elegance
  • Originality
  • Connectivity
  • Reliability
  • Longevity

It's the last three items on the list that B&O currently fall down on; the last item significantly. These should be pieces that are functional for decades, not replaced every few years. How can this be improved? Let me explain...

For example, B&O don't make screens but purchase high quality screens from other manufacturers, and have their beautiful designs around that. So they should be designed from the start to be upgradeable. Another example: the DVD tray in the original BV7 is still magical, and has a wow factor. This should be upgradeable to Blu-ray, then Blu-ray 3D, etc.

There are plenty of BV7s around, some being sold for really low prices. Everything about them works, but they need new screens, new players, new connectivity, new decoders, etc. So have a "re-release" whereby they can be gutted and rebuilt to the latest standards, while retaining the shell and design.

You could even have a scheme where plasma screens can be replaced by the latest LCD screens (but not yet - I think most plasmas still have years of life left).

If major items can last for decades instead of years, B&O can focus on design, at which they excel. Who cares about the internal electronics, they will be outdated before they even leave the factory floor. Allow the internals to be modified and upgradeable. At major points have a marketing "re-release" of significant iconic B&O pieces, where owners can pay to significantly upgrade screens and internals.

I won't purchase new B&O now - all I have to do is wait a few years for a really good deal because the value drops so quickly. Having a system in place for longevity will significantly enhance resale values - in fact, owners won't sell, thus driving demand back up for new pieces.

Is this question not being answered by B&O? They upgraded the BV11 to BV14...

"Believe nothing you read and only half of what you see, let your ears tell you the truth."

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
1,451 Posts
Bronze Member

"Is this question not being answered by B&O? They upgraded the BV11 to BV14..."

The item of originality is in the original question. A sequel is hardly original?

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

kai
Top 200 Contributor
350 Posts
Bronze Member
kai replied on Fri, Aug 26 2016 7:20 AM
I think it's good they are launching some new products, however they seem to be having the same old problem mainly the software. The new tv's has quite a few bugs in it which need to be addressed, and for me it seems that the reliability of the products is not a s good as before, parts are being discontinued for older models, And with the beoplay range if faulty it can't be repaired but sent back to b & o. If they want customers to remain, they need to improve the customer service
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
14,605 Posts
Bronze Member

BAND'OH!:

Nice idea but I am not entirely sure I agree this would be a sustainable business model for B&O, much as it might benefit the consumer!!

I am pretty sure, that it would not.

It's a dream - but a nice dream.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

PeterBOBP
Top 500 Contributor
133 Posts
Bronze Member

Millemissen:

BAND'OH!:

I am pretty sure, that it would not.

It's a dream - but a nice dream.

MM

why not? You can combine the modular set up with a subscription based  business model. As in: you buy an awesome looking TV from us and we guarantee it will be technically (including software!) up to date for at least the next 10 years. You pay us an initial and yearly fee for that and a yearly fee to make that happen.

Even more radically you could go further and introduce a "pay for usage" business model (rather than buying and owning) that delivers optimal quality sound and vision for a monthly / yearly price. 

customer satisfied because they have the reassurance from the start their TV is always technically up to date from start to finish. B& O satisfied because it has a steady revenue stream with customers that stick to the brand. 

not sure what the prices would be of course, let alone (probably more important) if this is technically viable, i.e. to set up a tv in such a modular way. 

Peter

PS: maybe B&O should dream and explore "crazy" / unconventional ideas a bit more in order to survive in the 21st century without losing sight of its design / simplicity / quality values / heritage. 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
14,605 Posts
Bronze Member

PeterBOBP:

not sure what the prices would be of course, let alone (probably more important) if this is technically viable, i.e. to set up a tv in such a modular way. 

'What the price would be' - exactly that is the point!

From the technical point of view, there would be few problems in offering this.

But at which costs?

And would people want to have their tv taken away for weeks for the upgrade every year etc?

Do consider that most BV buyers are happy with their tv's as is - owners of vintage plasma BV5/9's even claim, that their BV's are better than the new ones.

A concept for the techorientated B&O nerds, but not a concept for the mainstream buyers.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

PeterBOBP
Top 500 Contributor
133 Posts
Bronze Member

Millemissen:

And would people want to have their tv taken away for weeks for the upgrade every year etc?

MM

fair point..... but not necessarily needed as you describe (weeks, every year) 

Maybe each year a significant software update. Each two years a B&O service person updating some modules on the spot and every 5 years a factory (or local distribution center / dealer) serviced hardware upgrade, might be more acceptable for the average user. 

Millemissen:

Do consider that most BV buyers are happy with their tv's as is - owners of vintage plasma BV5/9's even claim, that their BV's are better than the new ones.

Not sure this is true for all / most current clients: I have a V1 myself (what a wonderful TV it is!) but I cannot imagine I will keep it for the next 10 years (I like the design very much, that is not the problem). And given the messages on this forum I am not convinced others beside me not think the same.
Also, potential / future clients currently not buying into B&O might be attracted. They might not buy into "beautiful but expensive and technologically not always up to date" but might buy into "beautiful and yes expensive, but always up to date"
Peter 

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
3,531 Posts
Bronze Member

My mum used to lease a Beovision in the early 80's.  It was pretty owned, but got us access to one of the only luxuries we could afford at the time. 

Maybe this is a market that could be tapped with all the unwanted 7's and 8'signed?

Beosound Stage, Beovision 8-40, Beolit 20, Beosound Explore.

bayerische
Top 25 Contributor
Ekenäs, Finland
4,770 Posts
Bronze Member

Just bought an A1, just for fun. And what a great little speaker it is. Definitely will be my new Travel speaker. A2 will sadly collect dust. 

Also bought a pair of the H5's. Pretty good too. My dogs chewed on the left earplug, basically destroyed it, but I managed to solder it up, so it works again. :D 

But other than that... I'm not sure the new TV's excite me. Love my BV9, and with the prices they've fallen too, under 2K, I guess once mine is dead I'll just get another one "for chips". On the other hand the competitors models connected to a BS3 have crossed my mind a hundred times. Could be cool with an 80" too! 

The BL90's are amazing, but I'm not sure they're 70K amazing. I mean 70K. You can do a lot with that money. Not to mention the 2-3 nice Audemars that can be added for that amount of money.

So what am I'm saying. Not too excited at the moment, besides the BL90, but I can't see them in my house, not even at 50% off! To be honest it's crazy money for a set of speakers. (To me) And my BL5's are not that far from them. 

Too long to list.... 

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
1,451 Posts
Bronze Member

I feel like I'd be planning which B&O to replace the Century for the imminent rework of the ground floor of our house but the likely system is not as clear as in the olden days! I was thinking about upgrading the V1 in the living room and using it as the hub of the AV in the dining/cooking  area. However the horizon doesn't appeal so the cash waiting in my account may go on a Fiat 124 Spider. 

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
8,219 Posts
Founder
PeterBOBP:

Millemissen:

MM

fair point..... but not necessarily needed as you describe (weeks, every year) 

Maybe each year a significant software update. Each two years a B&O service person updating some modules on the spot and every 5 years a factory (or local distribution center / dealer) serviced hardware upgrade, might be more acceptable for the average user

I think this is a great "outside of the box" idea !

It's something like Apple has in the USA.

I wish they had it here Sad

For a premium, each year you hand in last year's iPhone and they had over a new iPhone completely restored from your iCloud backup.

And I am sure they then refurbish and resell your perfectly good "old" iPhone.

Think of how B&O could have a 3 tier pricing:

Bv10

BV11 and now

bV14 !

BeoNut since '75

Page 10 of 11 (161 items) « First ... < Previous 7 8 9 10 11 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL