Which SPDIF cable: common or highend?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 4 Replies | 3 Followers

Catrijo
Not Ranked
13 Posts
Bronze Member
Catrijo posted on Mon, Aug 1 2016 4:43 PM

I got a bit lost in the reviews I read in order to choose what kind of digital cable to use between the beomaster 5 en beolabs 5. Is it necessary for getting the best full sound to use high end cables with similar high costs or am I lucky and can I use  more common prices cables like Bleu Jeans (Belden 1694A wire) cables or even cheaper ones from the shop at the corner?
I had contact with several shops and the advice was very different.
Thanks!

All Replies

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,281 Posts
Bronze Member

Please don't vaste a lot of your money on the cable.

A 'common' cable will do the trick - as long as is properly made, it will be allright.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

kallasr
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
2,416 Posts
Bronze Member
Not the the cheapest ones, but a low priced cable will be enough... Wink

Living Room: Beosystem 4, Beolab 7-6 (Center), Beolab 8000 (Fronts and Rears) and Beolab 2. Screen: Panasonic TX-P65STW60
Home Cinema: Beosystem 4, Beolab 7-2 (Center), Beolab Penta 2 (Fronts), Beolab 4000 (Rears) and Beolab 2. Projector: Sony VPL-HW55
Home Office: Beovision 10-40 on STB Bracket wall mount masterlinked to Beosound 9000 MK3 on horizontal wall bracket driving Beolab 5000 Speakers
Bedroom: Loewe TV with Beolab 6002 and Beolab 11 (all White)
In storage: Beolab 5000/Beomaster 5000 (1960s). 

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
2,214 Posts
Gold Member
Duels replied on Mon, Aug 1 2016 8:23 PM
Surely a job for Steve at Sounds Heavenly. Site sponsor.
Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
1,554 Posts
Gold Member

Thanks Duels!

I agree that the S/PDIF cables don't need to be expensive, but a little bit of care in choosing the cables will help ensure that there is no attenuation or rounding of the digital pulses, especially on longer cable runs.

Whilst B&O's early paperwork for Beolab 5 stated that any RCA cables could be used, the original Sony/Philips specification for the S/PDIF data format (the S/P part of the name is short for Sony/Philips) confirms that 75 Ohm co-axial cable should be used to minimise pulse reflections and potential data loss.

I have found sensibly priced 75 Ohm co-axial cables using RG59 wiring and metal plugs with gold contacts that give a good clear sound to Beolab 5 speakers, you can see details here:-

http://soundsheavenly.com/beolab-5-and-beolab-90/34--spdif-.html

It is worth noting that a volume synchronisation function was enabled on Beolab 5 speakers from serial no. 17772145 and software level 2.5 and above (around April 2004 onwards), so these speakers benefit from adding a Sync cable between the speakers when connecting them to a non-B&O source (this ensures the speakers play at matched volume levels):-

http://soundsheavenly.com/beolab-5-and-beolab-90/41--sync-beolab-5-.html

I'm always happy to help with any questions on cabling!

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL