Bronze Member
paolomariano Posted: Wed, Jun 1 2016 11:18 PM
https://vimeo.com/156303074

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,112
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Wed, Jun 1 2016 11:23 PM

Very nice. Wish it were real and not just a concept.

Beolab 50s Beolab 9s Beolab 12-3s Beolab 1s Beolab 6000s 2 pairs Beolab 4000s Beovision 7-55 Beovision 10-40 Beoplay V1 32 inch Beovision Avant 32 inch Beosound 1 (CD player) Beosound 3000 Beosound 5 Core Essence MKII Beoplay M5

paolomariano
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Bronze Member
Razlaw:

Very nice. Wish it were real and not just a concept.

It seems that we will soon see a product based on the same form factor... Smile (although not with all these features)
Paul W
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Thu, Jun 2 2016 12:55 AM

But why oh why would you want something like that? It's souless. It's not a dead projection. There's no tactile buttons to touch and feel. I hate the idea. It's cold and impersonal. 

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Thu, Jun 2 2016 1:38 AM

Uber cool, like something out of a scifi movie. An elegant way to implement a mood wheel and such without a tablet.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

The Beonic Man
Top 150 Contributor
Bristol
Posts 698
Bronze Member

Love it! I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Totally B&O. Hope to see it on the shelves sometime soon.

BV11-46, BV8-32, V1-32, BS2, P6, A1, E8, BR1, Essence

I like the idea but it looks like an upside down foam cup from the future. 

--

BeoLab 18's. Beolab 3's. A8. A9. A2. H7.

seethroughyou
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 852
Bronze Member
Like it. Radical. They need to make it out of aluminium, glass or wood rather than looking plasticky.

Let's hope it works when released and isn't disabled for two years down the line by cyclical software updates that render it semi-operational and a massive irritation followed by unhelpful B&O replies that someone else like Deezer, Spotify are to blame and its out of their control.
vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,393
Bronze Member

Watch the original vimeo. Notice how all those light projections show on the hand from some projection point above?

Notice that ugly bracket bolted to the rear of the table but mostly kept out of shot? Does it carry a laser projector?

This interesting concept is surely not quite what it seems.

Graham

tph
Top 500 Contributor
Finland
Posts 156
Bronze Member
tph replied on Thu, Jun 2 2016 9:02 AM

I was quite pleasantly surprised to find a thread about this concept and I love reading your thoughts on it so far. I am one of the students of the group who created and built this prototype, and I thought I'd explain a little bit why it is how it is.

vikinger:

Watch the original vimeo. Notice how all those light projections show on the hand from some projection point above?

Notice that ugly bracket bolted to the rear of the table but mostly kept out of shot? Does it carry a laser projector?

Graham

The course was called Interactive Prototyping, so the purpose of this project was not to create a nice-looking, polished and fully functional prototype that would resemble a real product, but instead the aim was to create very rough "tape-to-a-table" prototypes that would be enough for showcasing some of the core interactions and features of the concept.

This is why you see the ugly bracket in the video – it was literally a five-minute weld job out of waste materials and we taped up the projector and a camera to do the projection + motion capture. There's also a big bundle of wires coming out of the cone on the table going to an Arduino, but those were hidden in the gap between the two tables. All of these are connected to a computer running gesture recognition software, Spotify and some custom-written code that allows the different components to talk to each other. 

If this concept was to be taken further, all of the different components would of course be integrated into the cone itself but as I said, that wasn't the point on this course.

We had a designer from Bang & Olufsen visit us several times in Helsinki to see our progress and give feedback, and from what he told us, the different concepts created during the course were met with excitement in the mothership.

Best regards,

Tuomas

paolomariano
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Bronze Member
tph:

I was quite pleasantly surprised to find a thread about this concept and I love reading your thoughts on it so far. I am one of the students of the group who created and built this prototype, and I thought I'd explain a little bit why it is how it is.

The course was called Interactive Prototyping, so the purpose of this project was not to create a nice-looking, polished and fully functional prototype that would resemble a real product, but instead the aim was to create very rough "tape-to-a-table" prototypes that would be enough for showcasing some of the core interactions and features of the concept.

This is why you see the ugly bracket in the video – it was literally a five-minute weld job out of waste materials and we taped up the projector and a camera to do the projection + motion capture. There's also a big bundle of wires coming out of the cone on the table going to an Arduino, but those were hidden in the gap between the two tables. All of these are connected to a computer running gesture recognition software, Spotify and some custom-written code that allows the different components to talk to each other.

If this concept was to be taken further, all of the different components would of course be integrated into the cone itself but as I said, that wasn't the point on this course.

We had a designer from Bang & Olufsen visit us several times in Helsinki to see our progress and give feedback, and from what he told us, the different concepts created during the course were met with excitement in the mothership.

Best regards,

Tuomas

Wow!! Thank you for posting!!

It was a pleasure! Smile
vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,393
Bronze Member

That was a quick clarification!

Good luck with your career Tuomas!

Good luck to B&O consolidating everything into a shiny cone.

Graham

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,218
Founder
vikinger:

Good luck with your career Tuomas!

👍

BeoNut since '75

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,533
Bronze Member

Severed_Hand_of_Skywalker:

I like the idea but it looks like an upside down foam cup from the future. 

And if you use a piece of string between 2 of them you have the next BeoCom lol :-) 

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,533
Bronze Member

tph:

vikinger:

Graham

Best regards,

Tuomas

Tuomas, you and your colleagues did a great job on a prototype.  All jokes aside in my above post, it does better from one of my altime favourite products the a9 where the only failing i see is that when you change sources you dont see what you're actually on (source), this type of prototype would aliviate that.

It reminds me of that technology that is used to 'beam' a keyboard (microsoft) and you can use it to type.

Great job. 

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Thu, Jun 2 2016 11:10 AM

Great to see the company working with the interactive prototyping course students on the project!

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

tph
Top 500 Contributor
Finland
Posts 156
Bronze Member
tph replied on Thu, Jun 2 2016 12:09 PM

Thanks for all of your kind words, much appreciated Smile 

There's another project we're doing with the company, that's still ongoing and I can't share yet what we've been working on.

This collaboration has been a fun experience for someone like me who's very new to the world of Bang & Olufsen. I don't own any of their products, but I have a feeling that I've caught the BeoBug during this spring... Wink

ilPadrino
Not Ranked
Posts 16
Bronze Member
ilPadrino replied on Thu, Jun 2 2016 12:10 PM

Cant help but notice the similarities to the picture drawn by Hjort in this thread:

http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/p/20562/169090.aspx#169090

"Drawing from memory, from a leaked picture.

Beosound 1. Will come in two sizes. Idea is that you can have it on your kitchen bench.

Part of multiroom experience. Have its own sources.

Material is aluminum. The top piece house the tweeter pointing downwards.

Launch in August."

Gatex
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 127
Bronze Member
Gatex replied on Thu, Jun 2 2016 12:37 PM

piece of crap concept. These products are destroying the soul of consumer electronics.  Looks like a colour light Micky Mouse Disney Toy for 6 years old. 

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Thu, Jun 2 2016 12:58 PM

Gatex:

piece of crap concept. These products are destroying the soul of consumer electronics.  Looks like a colour light Micky Mouse Disney Toy for 6 years old. 

Colour could be linked as on moment to a mood light. And the interaction as Jean-Michel Jarre light harp?

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

Peter the Biker
Top 100 Contributor
Eastwestfalia
Posts 913
Gold Member

Gatex:

Three steps of development in design (and life too)

Primitive

Complicated

Simple

This product is complicated until now, but that's development.

By the way: A visit in the R&D department in Struer showed some very ugly and complicated concepts of later simple and good products ...

Peter the biker

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,427
Gold Member
Duels replied on Thu, Jun 2 2016 3:33 PM
Gatex:

piece of crap concept. These products are destroying the soul of consumer electronics. Looks like a colour light Micky Mouse Disney Toy for 6 years old.

It's nowhere near a finished product.
Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member

Duels:
Gatex:

piece of crap concept. These products are destroying the soul of consumer electronics. Looks like a colour light Micky Mouse Disney Toy for 6 years old.

It's nowhere near a finished product.

He did say concept but hasn't shown the potential for form and materials to deliver it. The concept lacks haptic qualities but as a starting point it's interesting.

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,563
Bronze Member
CB replied on Thu, Jun 2 2016 5:38 PM

Aussie Michael:
It reminds me of that technology that is used to 'beam' a keyboard (microsoft) and you can use it to type.

http://www.lightinthebox.com/icyberry-laser-projection-virtual-keyboard-for-iphone-smartphone-laptop-or-tablet_p1933281.html

BeoBoy68
Top 75 Contributor
FRANCE
Posts 1,234
Bronze Member
BeoBoy68 replied on Thu, Jun 2 2016 10:25 PM
Congrats for the students Yes - thumbs up

Nice integration of pattern play and mood wheel Smile

Just a concept for today Surprise
tph
Top 500 Contributor
Finland
Posts 156
Bronze Member
tph replied on Fri, Jun 3 2016 9:10 PM

Whatever you may think of it, I do encourage to look beyond the physical prototype you see on the video: that the prototype in itself is not the concept, but just a way to exhibit and evaluate ideas behind it – in this case, how extending the display and interaction outside the physical bounds of a music player device might work. If you hate how the moodwheel looks or if you think the cardboard construction is ugly, that's fine, so do we. The important thing when looking at stuff at this stage of development is to know that this isn't the end of it and always imagine what it would be like on the next level.

That's how any design process works – you never turn out nice-looking, shiny things from the get-go. Mockups and prototypes are for sparring imagination and to help develop your ideas further. Eventually you get to the point where it starts to make sense to judge the physical prototypes from an aesthetic/material point of view, but this particular project is not at that stage, it's an early tech/UX demo.

This isn't directed to anyone in particular and I don't mean that it's not OK to think our work is hideous – I'm trying to shed some light into how we as designers tend to approach these things, which is often different from how other people (potential end users or customers) see them Smile

Peter the Biker:

Gatex:

Three steps of development in design (and life too)

Primitive

Complicated

Simple

This product is complicated until now, but that's development.

By the way: A visit in the R&D department in Struer showed some very ugly and complicated concepts of later simple and good products ...

Exactly that. You rarely see a Bang & Olufsen product at the stage of evolution where the Orbit is (The Art of Impossible book has many, highly recommended). And so often a concept gets partly or entirely scrapped at some point because it turns out it doesn't make sense from the design point of view or is simply infeasible to produce.
mjmedlo
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 921
Bronze Member
mjmedlo replied on Fri, Jun 3 2016 9:20 PM
I like it.

Nice use of the world around us.

I hope it's a suggestion of things to come.
The Beonic Man
Top 150 Contributor
Bristol
Posts 698
Bronze Member

I think your design ideas and concept to date is fantastic and I congratulate you and your team colleagues. I suggest ignoring the negative comments, which frankly are rude and unconstructive. You guys have created something special. Well done and keep up the good work. Simon.

BV11-46, BV8-32, V1-32, BS2, P6, A1, E8, BR1, Essence

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sat, Jun 4 2016 3:27 PM

BAND'OH!:

I think your design ideas and concept to date is fantastic and I congratulate you and your team colleagues. I suggest ignoring the negative comments, which frankly are rude and unconstructive. You guys have created something special. Well done and keep up the good work. Simon.

Agree completely, it's a stunning concept, fresh, original, and out of the box thinking. And with the improved cosmetics that would come with a move to production it would be the first thing that tripped my "I have to own that!" since I first saw my Beosound 9000.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

paolomariano
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Bronze Member
Jeff:

Agree completely, it's a stunning concept, fresh, original, and out of the box thinking. And with the improved cosmetics that would come with a move to production it would be the first thing that tripped my "I have to own that!" since I first saw my Beosound 9000.

Jeff

Beovirus victim, it's gotten to be too much to list!

Jeff, I completely agree with you.

What really makes B&O different and by far better than any other hi-fi brand is their capacity to innovate in a way that allows them to be anyway faithful to their roots. And I think that this concept embraces exactly this philosophy, producing an incredibly new customer experience. Such experience, although extremely innovative, seems to be perfectly intuitive and magic at the same time.

Such interface, if well implemented, could become the signature of B&O next generation products.

Smile
CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,563
Bronze Member
CB replied on Sat, Jun 4 2016 8:40 PM

paolomariano:
Such experience, although extremely innovative, seems to be perfectly intuitive and magic at the same time.

Clarke's third law
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
Unsure
paolomariano
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Bronze Member
CB:

Clarke's third law Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Wow!! That's true!! Thanks for sharing
Page 1 of 1 (32 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL