A1s in stereo pair - Fantastic!

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 11 Replies | 2 Followers

rgbyhkr
Not Ranked
22 Posts
Bronze Member
rgbyhkr posted on Mon, May 16 2016 3:08 PM

Obviously, many of us have found the A1 to be a wonderful portable speaker.  Having owned the BL 12, A2 and auditioned the BL15 on more than one occasion, I can say that the A1's combined feature set make it the hands down best choice for me for portable use.  Shortly after getting my first, I was curious about how 2 would sound as a stereo pair.  In short, I'm absolutely thrilled.

If you keep in mind reasonable limitations about the creation of a soundstage and stereo image from 2 small speakers laying flat, I think most people would be very happy with what they can do in stereo.  It's obviously better if you can hang them from a hook, but they do surprisingly well just sitting on a desktop.  The bluetooth stereo pairing is a little glitchy at times, but once you figure it out, it works.  Dropouts can occur if you move either speaker or the source device (this I have decided is more related to the challenges inherent in doing stereo pairing over BT - I've seen it with BT speakers from other manufacturers that offer stereo pairing with 2 units).  In a worst case, you could go wired - 3.5mm stereo to mono breakout splitter with a cable then running to each speaker.  

I've already taken these on a trip and have decided that they will be my go to travel speaker solution.  Now I just need a good dual unit travel case solution.  Big Smile

All Replies

KarlSplatzo
Not Ranked
7 Posts
Bronze Member

After hearing the fantastic performance of a single A1 I thought I had to get one for the stereo experience.

Just this morning I started to play with it for the first time. I got the two speakers to pair. The easiest way is to follow the instructions on the B&O Faq page and not use the App. It may be my phone but the app seems a bit flaky at times and I've seen complaints about recent updates causing problems.

Anyway, using my phone to play music via BT, the sound is really good. So much better than just one.

The problem I have is that I have all my music on a non-BT ipod so I need to connect via the 3.5mm line in. Did you find a way to do that at all? The splitter option might work if I can find one but I'd rather use the technology if possible.

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
4,830 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Sat, Jan 21 2017 8:09 AM

KarlSplatzo:

After hearing the fantastic performance of a single A1 I thought I had to get one for the stereo experience.

I was always told that the A1 couldn't be setup in stereo - even my local dealer confirmed this. He claimed just the A2!

KarlSplatzo
Not Ranked
7 Posts
Bronze Member

Do you mean it can't be paired with the line in or at all?

It definitely works with Bluetooth. There are issues but when your phone isn't stalling or whatever causes the very occasional drop out, it's very good.

Now the line in, that's what I want to use and I'm sure I saw something say it was possible back in late December. Can't find it now though.

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
3,350 Posts
Bronze Member

Not true Moxxey

I have 2 A1 and have done the stereo.

Today I gave one A1 to my dad and he goes "how does it work without wires" haha.  

But yes, it definitely works in stereo. 

BeoGreg
Top 75 Contributor
South of France
1,413 Posts
Bronze Member
BeoGreg replied on Sat, Jan 21 2017 10:37 AM
The Beolit 15 also, not just the A2.
StKong
Top 500 Contributor
Copenhagen
217 Posts
Bronze Member
StKong replied on Sun, Jan 22 2017 9:40 PM
moxxey:

I was always told that the A1 couldn't be setup in stereo - even my local dealer confirmed this. He claimed just the A2!

Dealers generally seem to know very little. Even those that are official B&O.

Sad development.
Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Badsey, UK
3,300 Posts
Bronze Member
BeoGreg:

The Beolit 15 also, not just the A2.

So can I pair a Beloit 15, and and A1?

Beovision Eclipse, BeoLab 17,Beolit 15, Beoplay A2 Active

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,360 Posts
Bronze Member

Chris Townsend:

So can I pair a Beloit 15, and and A1?

You'd probably get a BeoMule, then ;-)

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

KarlSplatzo
Not Ranked
7 Posts
Bronze Member

I still haven't worked or found out how to pair with the line in but I can confirm that if I hook up one speaker with the USB cable I can feed my laptop output from iTunes to it and then pair it to the second speaker with lovely stereo results.

Karl

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
3,350 Posts
Bronze Member
Chris Townsend:

So can I pair a Beloit 15, and and A1? Beovision 7-55 Mk2, Avant RF 28, Beolab 9, Beolit 15, Beoplay A1/A2, Beocom 2, Beotime, H3 ANC/H8/H6/H2, Form 2, Beoplay A3, Beovision 5-42 connected to a DVD1

No

Only like with like.
KarlSplatzo
Not Ranked
7 Posts
Bronze Member

B&O have confirmed that it is not possible to feed music into one speaker via line in and have it pair with another. It's got to be USB or Bluetooth. Ah well. Haven't found a splitter cable yet but I could try a Bluetooth add on for the ipod.

Karl

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL