Relaunch of older B&O products?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 35 Replies | 2 Followers

sorenfelden
Not Ranked
16 Posts
Bronze Member
sorenfelden posted on Wed, May 4 2016 10:18 AM

Tom Ford just relaunched some of his previous sun glasses. That got me thinking whether B&O has ever considered the same?

The Beoab Penta speakers are still stunning to me, would love them again, could probably even hide an acoustic lense behind the fabric. Even the Beosystem 6500 had an understated power to it.

Also sad to see the Beosound 5 discontinued (although I own one). I never understood why is wasn't a smashing success - it is by far the one piece of B&O that attracts the mot attention when people visit my home and they generally love it. And many are surprised they have never seen it before. Maybe the marketing never really hit the spot? Perhaps because the shops almost always displayed it on a spiny floor stand or wall stand that really is not half as good looking as on a table stand - or even better the original matte metal piedestal stand that, strangely, was never marketed. Well, just dreams.....

All Replies

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
1,063 Posts
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Fri, May 6 2016 12:50 PM

there are an abundance of manufactures successfully doing modern retro, you just need to know your market and set the parameters.

didn't Panasonic re introduce a Technics turntable last year breathing on it with modern components and the initial run sold out straight away.

many years ago Datsun bought back a number of 240Z's, restored them and resold them "as if new" so there are many ways to skin a cat and think of the free advertising and marketing one could achieve from cherry picking iconic products....

people do buy items because they look cool....

we tend to forget there is more to design than designing.

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
1,810 Posts
Bronze Member

So very true Andrew. It's also because of the way that people listen to music now. I guess the SONY Walkman change it all way back but for most, music travels with you, it's part of a lifestyle - the days of old men sat in armchairs savouring every musical moment from a HiFi are mostly gone but for a few. 

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
1,810 Posts
Bronze Member

Yes Mark. The Technics turntable whilst looking retro is a BRAND NEW design from the ground up I believe but at £3500, it's steep and whether the clubs and DJs buy into it, i'm not sure since the DJ of today has grown up with the incredible Pioneer CDJ2000 Nexus etc. 

The nostalgia is beautiful - I love the 5000 series and the Ouverture with the bright blue speakers BUT I'm also incredibly excited by the new retro A1 and being honest, that would do a lot more for me than a 5000 or Ouverture nowadays as I'm use iTunes for my music/HD video/4K camera.

Maybe a limited run of the 5000 series/Beogram at £10K upwards for B&Os 100th Birthday??????

Peter the Biker
Top 100 Contributor
Eastwestfalia
944 Posts
Gold Member
Aussie Michael:

Companies like yamaha are making SACD players worth $8,000 - so i think there is a market

Worth $8,000 or with the price tag of $8,000?

Peter the biker

Barry Santini
Top 150 Contributor
New York
543 Posts
Bronze Member
People tend to fetishize or relicize older objects, imbuing them with attraction or appeal disproportionately out of sync with their "real" value
Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,793 Posts
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Fri, May 6 2016 3:42 PM

Barry Santini:
People tend to fetishize or relicize older objects, imbuing them with attraction or appeal disproportionately out of sync with their "real" value

Perfectly said and absolutely true. Panasonic is a large enough company they can play with a niche line of halo products, and even then unless they turn the numbers I expect them to be short lived. Their TV market is suffering, they are pulling out of the US market from what I hear, at least for the near term.

I still think B&O is nuts to produce an expensive halo speaker like the BL90, no matter how much I respect the design. I think they will wind up losing money they can ill afford to lose and it diverted money from things they should have been concentrating on, like the Moment s/w. I'd be happy to be wrong but that's how I see it right now.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Mr 10Percent
Top 150 Contributor
So West, Its Now East
578 Posts
Bronze Member

Jeff:

Barry Santini:

I still think B&O is nuts to produce an expensive halo speaker like the BL90, no matter how much I respect the design. I think they will wind up losing money they can ill afford to lose and it diverted money from things they should have been concentrating on, like the Moment s/w. I'd be happy to be wrong but that's how I see it right now.

I think it depends upon their business model. Yes, there will be some money locked in development of the BL90 but that will be amortised as investment and therefore adds present and future value to the company worth. It will also provide future cash flow as it sets up the next gen products whether that be a BL100 or a BP A1.

There will be some cash locked up is BL90 build and repair stock but I expect the BL90 will only build to an order. When buying mine, typical lead time is 6weeks. However, mine were effectively ready off the shelf. Once those stocks are gone, you wait (or a dealer had to wait somewhere). As of March this year only 4 pairs were ordered by customers and I was either no.4 or 5. Thus B&O will be using a "just-in-time" production model, whereas Panasonic will have to commit big-time in releasing any product.

I guess it is likE another of my favorites - Aston Martin (another cash-limited dinosaur). They are currently making a small profit working on "specials" and limited runs to finance future models. Thus it seems, the business model works making a few rapidly changing variants pays better than a long run of standard cars. Again all JIT managed from marketing, to concept, to engineering and fabrication. Large turnover is not the only model and it is one that is probably obsolete for anyone on a small scale/high value product

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
1,451 Posts
Bronze Member

It's nice for a company to be big enough to create those halo products subsidised if necessary by mainstream stuff . It can offer something to which  the mainstream buyer can relate/aspire. I wouldn't want a scaled down BL 90 but at least it's a Top Trumps B&O product the press can get some attention with. Meanwhile it's good to see B&O featuring previous products in multi room setups. 

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

Stan
Top 100 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
844 Posts
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Fri, May 6 2016 5:12 PM

Mr 10Percent:

Jeff:

Barry Santini:

Mr 10%, Did Jeff's comment leave your speechless?  Big Smile

With respect to the BL90, I'm going to assume B&O knows what they're doing.  Aren't most ~$100K and up speakers manufactured by small, niche companies?  Seems like there's a different business model for these types of products.  And, hopefully, there will be some "trickle down" to more affordable speakers.  Also, it probably helped to attract and retain high quality engineering talent (how many places are building such cutting edge speakers).  Hard to measure, for sure. 

I definitely agree B&O needs to clean up their software act.  If the BeoMusic app is the prime interface for all of these new BeoPlay speakers (A9, A6, Essence), it's a very weak first impression.

• Filed under:
Mr 10Percent
Top 150 Contributor
So West, Its Now East
578 Posts
Bronze Member

not really. Just proven to myself that I'm useless typing on a phone with my fat fingers. See below

Mr 10Percent
Top 150 Contributor
So West, Its Now East
578 Posts
Bronze Member

just to add.....i would not be surprised if B&O's business plan for the 90's is between 20 - 50 pairs worldwide per year. I doubt Meridian sell that many DSP8000's a year. How many B&W 800's? Not a big market I think

Doonesbury
Top 500 Contributor
Landisville, PA, USA
168 Posts
Bronze Member

Die_Bogener:

Who would buy a cd-player today? A record player...

Me.  I have an Oppo universal disc player.  It plays CDs, DVD-V, DVD-A, and SACD, all region, all video formats.

Yes, I download non-officially released recordings and videos, but I always burn to disc.  Anything officially released, I buy a physical copy.

I have a Dual CS5000 turntable (purchased new in the early '90's).  It is still going strong, even with the original belt.  I still purchase and play records that can't be found on CD.

D

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
14,597 Posts
Bronze Member

@Doonesbury

That is exactly the point.

Those who prefer physical media already have a solution.

The need for launching a B&O cd-player (or even a vinyl player) is way to small.

Besides - these devices would be way too expensive. A lot of those, who might be interested, would avoid buying into them anyway.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

linder
Top 100 Contributor
United States
983 Posts
Bronze Member
linder replied on Mon, May 23 2016 3:12 PM

It might be okay to have some of the retro look in the Beoplay line of products.  However if Bang & Olufsen were to relaunch the past, they will then be perceived as the past.  I love the Beolab 90 and would love to have it.  What stops me from buying it is my living room is too small and I promised my wife I would order a new car.

I think that Jeff is expressing some of the anxiety I have about B&O.  Their presence in North America is shrinking.  If they close a few more stores I will probably look elsewhere.

I agree with those who would like a junior version of the Beolab 90......maybe a Beolab 45 for around $30000 USD.   

StUrrock
Top 100 Contributor
995 Posts
Bronze Member
StUrrock replied on Tue, May 24 2016 10:52 AM

Mr 10Percent:

just to add.....i would not be surprised if B&O's business plan for the 90's is between 20 - 50 pairs worldwide per year. I doubt Meridian sell that many DSP8000's a year. How many B&W 800's? Not a big market I think

Mr 10Percent I think you are probably right about the numbers sold to end users of BL90s.

But hang on a minute, if you are right, that is far less sold to end users than on display in B&O stores.

If that is the case it seems like utter business madness!

I do feel so sorry for the dealers now, it seems for many of the ones I speak to. They think the business model just isn't working anymore.

Sorry for the thread drift.

Page 2 of 3 (36 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL