rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 12 Replies | 1 Follower

airmax_zh
Not Ranked
13 Posts
Bronze Member
airmax_zh posted on Fri, Apr 22 2016 11:30 PM

Hi B&O community!

I'm experiencing some problem with my BLC and my BL 3500. But first, let me quickly give you an overview about my setup:

• BV Avant 55, connected to a router (NL)
  • BL Gateway, connected to a router (NL) and the BL3500 (ML)
  • BLC, setup as AV Master, connected to the router and to the BL3500 (ML)

If I want to listen to a BV Avant source on my BL3500, it has sometimes (often...) a cracking noise. I can't find the reason for that... sometimes it appears with every source, sometimes just radio, sometimes just some radiostations (not every one)... I tried restarts of all devices, unplugged BL3500 and BLC, but nothing really works. It's kind of random... sometimes it just works fine, sometimes not.

Any ideas what the reason for this issue could be?

Thank you so much for your help!!

All Replies

mjmedlo
Top 100 Contributor
922 Posts
Bronze Member
mjmedlo replied on Sat, Apr 23 2016 12:32 AM
What are you using for the BUS power on the ML side?

Do you have the little B&O power box?

Could be ML crinkle somewhere or maybe in the power?

Strange
airmax_zh
Not Ranked
13 Posts
Bronze Member

What do you mean with the BUS power?

I have the little B&O power box between BLC and BL3500. 

I really can't imagine where the problem comes from... is there a way to test that?

claudiu
Top 500 Contributor
copenhagen
193 Posts
Bronze Member

You need NL/ML Delay box
Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,885 Posts
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Sun, Apr 24 2016 8:31 AM
claudiu :

You need NL/ML Delay box

Why should the cracking noise have anything to do with this?

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Homeoffice: M3, Beocom 2  Library: Beosound Emerge, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5, Essence remote  Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay EQ, Beoplay Earset

Fl_ip
Top 500 Contributor
160 Posts
Bronze Member
Fl_ip replied on Sun, Apr 24 2016 1:46 PM
Which router are you using?
airmax_zh
Not Ranked
13 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks for your help guys!

Here a few details: I don't think it has anything to do with a missing delay box, because there's no delay, there's only this cracking noise.

I'm using a Swisscom Internet Box (that's a router of national provider). I don't think that's the problem. I guess the power box could be the problem... If I unplug it and plug it in again, it gets better for a while... I also tried some different power supplies for this little power box, but nothing really helps.

Any other ideas?

Stan
Top 100 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
846 Posts
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Mon, Apr 25 2016 4:47 AM

A crackle noise generally points to a problem somewhere in the analog chain.  Digital interference generally shows up as drop outs, stuttering or strange noises.  Since it happens with just the Avant sources, it would most likely be something in the ML between the Avant and the BLC.  Do you have other link rooms where you can listen to the Avant sources without problems?  If so, then I'd look at the connection between the ML and BLC.  It could also be a bad ML junction box somewhere or your Avant ML connection is spotty.  Then, there's the crackle you sometimes get when you place your cell phone near an analog speaker - you're not leaving you phone by your BS35 are you?

Stan
Top 100 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
846 Posts
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Mon, Apr 25 2016 4:53 AM

Oops.  I guess I should read more closely - somehow I thought you had an old ML Avant and problems with a new BS3500 vs. your actual problem.  That being said, I'd still look for a problem in the ML side of the world since crackles do not tend to show up in digital signals.  I doubt if routers or the Avant have anything to do with it.

airmax_zh
Not Ranked
13 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks Stan... that's what I guess, too. But where in the ML can the problem be, as soon as the crackling is not constantly... sometimes it happens, sometimes not... Actually the last days were pretty horrible.

Maybe some more information can help to find a solution:

• BLC is located in a small reduit, plugged with RJ45 into a ethernet wall socket which goes directly to the bedroom (inside the walls)
  • in the bedroom, there's a short cable from the wall outlet to the powerbox
  • from the powerbox, there's a 7m cable (RJ45 to ML) to the BeoLab 3500

How can I find the problem? Here any speculations:

• Is it possible that the powerbox is too far away from the BL 3500 or that the powersupply of the power box has to little power (ampere?)
  • Could it be a broken ML cable?
  • no additional ideas Sad

Kind regards
Remy 

Stan
Top 100 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
846 Posts
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Tue, Apr 26 2016 6:24 PM

I was trying to learn what this power box was for, and I found this in the BeoLink Handbook:

"The ML Power Box is power supplied via the USB cable (USB A to USB mini B) connected to the BeoLink Converter NL/ML."

I wonder if there's some kind of grounding or static electricity issue since you don't have the power box powered by the BLC?  Is there any way you could move your PowerBox to the location of your BLC so it can be powered as described above?

Otherwise, from what you describe, my first guess would be a bad power box.  This is a new product, and it seems like a new product would be more likely to introduce a fault than old cable technology (ML, RJ45 and wall connectors have been around forever) - especially since there are no ML junction boxes in the picture.  It could also be any ML cable, connector or the BLC, but I'd ask your dealer to see if you can swap in a new a power box first.  I'd also check for kinks in any of the cables, and maybe pull off the wall connectors and make sure they don't have any lose wires.

Stan 

airmax_zh
Not Ranked
13 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi Stan

you're very kind! That's for taking time to help me! Once I bought the BCL and the BL3500 my dealer told me that the ML Power Box just gives the required power to the ML. It actually replaces the former audio master, which did that job. Basically you don't need a audio master since then, because the little ML Power Box does the job. So far so good.

Unfortunately I can't change the position of the power... the parts are in two different rooms at the moment. I could, but I had to buy some plug adapters first (you know, it's not my apartment, and even though they built ethernet cables in the walls, they splittet the 8 wire cable into two wall outlets, that's good for 100Mbit, but not enough for the 8-wire ML system of Bang&Olufsen... so I decided to connect the two wall outlets in every room with two Y-cables. But that's another story).

Back to the main problem... I think I am one step closer to the solution. I initially used a 1.2A 5V power supplier and changed that one to a 0.5A 5V power supplier (from a digital camera)... and now: The cracking noise is almost gone... not completely, but it's hard to recognize it now. Hopefully I'll experience the same situation as soon as the BL3500 starts as alarm clock tomorrow morning. If not: I'm gonna freak out :).

Rémy

airmax_zh
Not Ranked
13 Posts
Bronze Member

By the way: http://beointegration.com/uploaded/EN-BeoLink-handbook-v1-7.pdf

Look at page 29, there's a description of the ML Power Box.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL