Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

My 24 hours with a Beolit 12

Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 182 Replies | 3 Followers

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Badsey, UK
3,265 Posts
Bronze Member
Chris Townsend posted on Fri, Jul 20 2012 10:31 AM

I'll keep this short as to say i'm disappointed with this product, and for B&O for launching something so half baked is an understatement.

1. Connection to my wifi wasn't easy using the App, as after an hour it still was not recognising my router. Did it with cable and it was somewhat easier(put a bloody screen on it and just ask for a code B&O, this costs £600 ffs)

2. Sound quality considering it's size is excellent. The best in it's class(when it works)

3. In the last 21 hours i have lost reception from the router about 13 times. This means turning the device off and then letting it reboot to find the network. This takes a staggering 2-3 minutes. If your off in the morning this then means that the traffic report is coming through just after you have left, not whilst enjoying your coffee! Iphone-instant, PS Vita-instant, Apple tv-instant etc etc

http://store.apple.com/us/reviews/H7355LL/A/bang-and-olufsen-beolit-12-airplay-speaker

Essentially i wanted a high quality Airplay device that was portable, so that i could reposition it around our house. The sound is fantastic for a small device, the battery facility is almost unique, but for it to have so many reception problems in a medium that is so universal is to me, and as a fan, criminal.

Sad

Beovision Eclipse, Beolit 15, Beoplay A2, H6/H2, Form 2, Beoplay A3, Beovision 5-42 connected to a DVD1

All Replies

butch1
Top 200 Contributor
371 Posts
Bronze Member
butch1 replied on Fri, Aug 10 2012 11:29 PM

No no Vertu is simply a Nokia with plenty of bling for the 'new money'

Is audi not the same,skoda vw with a bit of bling.
Vertu is handcrafted with leather,wood,carbon etc
Thats like saying omega watch is a swatch

Dave
Top 500 Contributor
124 Posts
Bronze Member
Dave replied on Sat, Aug 11 2012 5:42 AM

Well if Johns words don't hammer every poorly thought out observation ever made on the value of B&O, into the ground, then nothing will. ;)

Flappo
Top 100 Contributor
850 Posts
Bronze Member
Flappo replied on Sat, Aug 11 2012 8:28 AM

I agree . I personally think its a problem with the wifi in his house . Interference from a mobile phone system could be the culprit.

That or the beloit is a pile of crap. Big Smile ( that was a joke btw )

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Badsey, UK
3,265 Posts
Bronze Member
I have borrowed a Beosound 8 from my dealer, and so far AirPlay is perfect with no dropouts with it displaying excellent reception. Also using a device attached again fantastic.

I'll say this for the Beolit, considering its size difference the sound quality was in comparison to the 8 awesome.

The Beolit Facebook page which had others commenting on exactly the same connection problems as i had, today no longer exists!!!!

Beovision Eclipse, Beolit 15, Beoplay A2, H6/H2, Form 2, Beoplay A3, Beovision 5-42 connected to a DVD1

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
11,557 Posts
Bronze Member

Chris Townsend:
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Beosound 8 from my dealer, and so far AirPlay is perfect................

Chris Townsend:
The Beolit Facebook page which had others commenting on exactly the same connection problems as i had, today no longer exists!!!!

There you go then, QED.............. it's definitely your network set up!!Indifferent.............Unsure.................Laughing

Ban boring signatures!

Jonathan
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, Australia
1,803 Posts
Bronze Member

Paul W:

This is so sad that you are having problems and really explains why i'm so scared to buy into the BANG&OLUFSEN name again after i've had so many problems with them over the years.

I

I ask respectfully, why be part of a B&O enthusiasts site??

If I was totally frustrated with Bang & Olufsen and had no intention of ever buying their product ever again, I wouldn't be wasting my time at Beoworld!

x:________________________

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Badsey, UK
3,265 Posts
Bronze Member

Paul i have some Form 2's in subtle orange and your more than welcome to them for free, if that qualifies you to exercise your freedom to an opinion. 

This morning i have been trying both the dock setting sound quality, and the Airplay one too. Wether the dock automatically raises the volume on "dock" setting therefore artificially changing my impression i don't know, but i'm sure there is a distinct improvement in quality over Airplay. My dealer confirmed the dock setting is a better quality.

Who's idea was it to make a white Beosound 8 with white frets, and then supply it with a black power cableEmbarrassed

Both work by the way

Happy again.

ps Alison Krauss is a great singer i've never heard before, but a review used her music as a test and i'm glad they did. Hot stuff

Flappo
Top 100 Contributor
850 Posts
Bronze Member
Flappo replied on Tue, Aug 14 2012 9:48 AM

So after blaming Airplay it was the beloit at fault all along.

Nuff said.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
8,215 Posts
Founder

Chris Townsend:
ps Alison Krauss is a great singer i've never heard before, but a review used her music as a test and i'm glad they did. Hot stuff

Absolutely ... I started buying here on a recommendation on this (older version) forum under a thread about "best recordings" or perhaps "best reproductions" or combination of the both (kind of rosette label as in the Penguin CD guide), anyhow these are the ones I have:

• A Hundred Miles Or More: A Collection
  • Lonely Runs Both Ways <== the recommended recording on the old, old Beoworld
  • Raising Sand
What did you get ?

BeoNut since '75

jkhamler
Top 200 Contributor
282 Posts
Bronze Member
jkhamler replied on Tue, Aug 14 2012 10:02 AM

The collaboration between Krass and Robert Plant ('Raising Sand') is great too - well worth checking out.

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Badsey, UK
3,265 Posts
Bronze Member

To be honest the "whats playing now" thread and some online reviews, have brought music and musicians new to me. Add this to Spotify and a Beosound product, i have now changed my B&O habit to 60/40 in favour of the TV whereas before it was 95/5 with just the A8's to keep me company.

As for Alison Krauss i just picked the first album i saw just now on Spotify. Did yo know you can make an Alison Krauss radio channel on Spotify, which plays and picks similar music.

I'm sure there are other equally good music players with subscriptions, that do something similar before i'm labelled a Spotify rep.

Getting the correct manual sound position setting on the back of the 8 sure helps the quality. If you can find it

Using the Ipad to stream the music, with my family photos playing in slideshow. How nice and cool. White with red frets???????

Paul W
Top 50 Contributor
London
1,810 Posts
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Tue, Aug 14 2012 12:23 PM

Chris the white BS8 / A8 has a white mains lead, I think you've been given the wrong one!

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
11,866 Posts
Founder
Peter replied on Tue, Aug 14 2012 1:04 PM

Spotify really is rather good - my only problem is that I have an appalling broadband connection and suffer from slow speeds - and unlike in the past, I actually pay for this! And to make it worse, my daughter invariably using Spotify whenever I want it!! Big Smile

Peter

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Badsey, UK
3,265 Posts
Bronze Member

I'M UNBOXING...................

butch1
Top 200 Contributor
371 Posts
Bronze Member
butch1 replied on Tue, Aug 14 2012 8:07 PM

I will agree with paul w,my white a8 came with white lead and my black bs8 with black lead.

Page 11 of 13 (183 items) « First ... < Previous 9 10 11 12 13 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL