Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

A9 makes plastic sounding pops and clicks.

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 50 Replies | 3 Followers

Severed_Hand_of_Skywalker posted on Thu, Feb 4 2016 6:29 PM

I got the original A9 the second it first came out. Shortly afterwards I noticed it would make a distracting POP sound randomly when both in standby and in use. It was not a sound coming from the actual speakers but from somewhere within the unit itself. Meaning it is not a pop in the actual audio or sound source.

After about 9 months of the sound becoming more and more frequent B&O replced it with new unit. At first this new unit worked fine but after a few months it also started making the same pop sounds. Again, after almost another year B&O replaced it with a Gen 2 model last February. 

After about 6 months this unit ALSO starred making these horrible popping sounds and I am about to snap.

Some notes:

The sound it makes sounds like plastic popping or creaking from a temperature change.  My Sony tv does it from time to time but not half as bad as the A9.

The A9 was plugged into different power outlets and is on a surge protector.

The source material is not the issue as it still makes the sound when in standby.

The temperature in my place is consistent.

I unplugged the A9 and it still did the odd pop for the next 24 hours.

The sound becomes more and more frequent as time goes on.

I was in a B&O store and I swore I heard their demo unit on the floor make the same sound.

Anyone else experience this or know the possible cause?

--

BeoLab 18's. Beolab 3's. A8. A9. A2. H7.

• Filed under:

All Replies

jrodrigo
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Bronze Member

Me too from time to time.-

How often?

--

Carolpa
Top 100 Contributor
841 Posts
Bronze Member

Is it maybe the severed hand of Skywalker? Stick out tongue

If unplugged from the mains and re-plugged, do you hear the same plop?

the A6 and the Essences make also a plop sound with start-up or after reconnected to the network.

Carolpa
Top 100 Contributor
841 Posts
Bronze Member

What if you switch off the "notification sounds" in the setup of the Beoplay A9 (app Beosetup; Settings; Notifications)

benoit
Top 150 Contributor
North East France
614 Posts
Bronze Member

Carolpa:

What if you switch off the "notification sounds" in the setup of the Beoplay A9 (app Beosetup; Settings; Notifications)

I think it has nothing to do with the notification sounds... He told that even unplugged the plop sound still occur ('I unplugged the A9 and it still did the odd pop for the next 24 hours.'). I guess it has to do with plastic dilatation.

Luke
Not Ranked
Brisbane Australia
59 Posts
Bronze Member
Luke replied on Sat, Feb 6 2016 12:01 PM

Bought mine when they first came out and yes mine makes the same noise, sometime its extremely loud and very random, I'm very used to it now but probably happens every day.  I'm sure they all do it and I'm surprised it hadn't been brought up before.  I'll ask my brother if his does the same thing.  I can't say i'm upset enought to want replacements though, Airplay is it's biggest downfall for me.

BL90, BL5 x 2, BL9, BL8000 x 2, Penta III x 2, Penta II, BL2, BL4, BL2500, RL6000 x 3, MS150, MS150.2, A9, A1, A2, P2, Beolit 12/17, S70, CX50, CX100, Beovox 2500, BS9000 x 2, BS3000, BS4, BC2, BS1,  Moment, Essence MkII x 2, BS5 Encore, BG8002, BC8002, BM8002, BG5500, BV7-40 MkIII, BV11-55, BV Avant 85", BC5, H8, E8, Form 2, A8...Serene

benoit:

Carolpa:

I think it has nothing to do with the notification sounds... He told that even unplugged the plop sound still occur ('I unplugged the A9 and it still did the odd pop for the next 24 hours.'). I guess it has to do with plastic dilatation.

Exactly. It is not a sound made from the speaker. It is a plastic click/pop that is very distracting coming from such a high end product.

--

benoit
Top 150 Contributor
North East France
614 Posts
Bronze Member

Maybe it's worth to try to unscrew a bit and then screw again some screws from the case and maybe from the speakers as well... 

benoit
Top 150 Contributor
North East France
614 Posts
Bronze Member

In the YouTube bang olufsen global training channel there is a video showing  how to open the A9 and how to replace speakers. This my help you. The links are in an other post I made about this channel.

Just an update. The popping sounds seems to be getting more and more frequent as time goes on. It happens about 3-5 times an HOUR now even when the unit is only in standby and not playing music.

--

hadr
Top 500 Contributor
Switzerland
83 Posts
Bronze Member
hadr replied on Tue, Apr 12 2016 8:15 PM
Severed_Hand_of_Skywalker:

Just an update. The popping sounds seems to be getting more and more frequent as time goes on. It happens about 3-5 times an HOUR now even when the unit is only in standby and not playing music.

--

That's very strange and unsettling. I haven't heard any such noises coming out of mine yet and I hope it remains that way...

Just a note. I brought my A9 to B&O for repair on this issue AGAIN. They had it for 3 weeks in repair with their private contractor.

It came back the other day with the note that it was opened and "the dust cleaned and the screws tightened". Naturally I rolled my eyes at the thought that this would fix it.

Needless to say when I got it home within 10 minutes I heard the usual POP sound coming from it. I called the store and they ask me to try connecting it over Ethernet vs Wifi to see if that helps. SIGH.

I told them they can send me a new unit instead. It will be my 4th. Hopefully this isn't a design flaw and I have to go through this again.

B&O has horrible tech support.

--

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
3,338 Posts
Bronze Member
Like it be your power point?

Have you tried another ? (Just a thought)

Aussie Michael:
Like it be your power point?

Have you tried another ? (Just a thought)

100% not as I moved houses and the problem is still there. Not to mention it actually made the sound when it wasn't even plugged in. Im still betting on faulty power supply as it can hold a charge even when unplugged.

--

Page 1 of 4 (51 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL