Chaka
Top 500 Contributor
Chicago
312 Posts
Bronze Member
Chaka posted on Tue, Jan 19 2016 4:28 AM

Guys.  Hallo.

I've had every speaker except for 5's.

Is there an inherent fault with the protection on theses speakers?

They seem to blow so easily.  

Any ideas??

Dank. x

(edited.. the original post contained off-topic references - this is a family site)

All Replies

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
3,673 Posts
Gold Member

Chaka:
They seem to blow so easily.

Uh-oh :-( 

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
7,169 Posts
Founder
9 LEE replied on Tue, Jan 19 2016 9:11 AM

In answer to your question the amplifiers, drivers and chassis on the BeoLab 9 all seem to be very reliable on the whole.

However, the tweeter is a weak point and I've had plenty fail, giving the orange light.  Not a fortune to fix, but this shouldn't happen on a speaker of this price.

Lee

John
Top 200 Contributor
Australia
321 Posts
Bronze Member
John replied on Tue, Jan 19 2016 9:46 AM

Despite the incorporated protection (thermal overload, ABL) - which I might point out no passive speaker has - I would think if you punish it enough, for long enough, amplifier clipping or more general overheating of the voice coil could destroy a tweeter.

Being an 'ex' audiophile I exercise caution - in a listening room 5 x 4 metres, I seldom go above 55 on the volume for music, and 60 for movies.

In moments of gay abandon, I've cranked it to 62 on movies and large organ works - but that's about it, as any more and I would be inviting a visit from the PC neighbours, or their agents, the police....lol

And at that consistent volume, I've had no issues.

By way of contrast, when I bought the speakers and demoed them in a private after hours demo, the dealer cranked it to 82 on clips of the movie Avatar with no deleterious effects - but then that was in a large showroom, and there's no way I'd listen at that level at home.

So my thoughts are that the speaker is much better protected against overload than any speaker operating in passive mode with a seperate amplifier, but there will inevitably be limits, sooner or later.

Cheers

John.. Cool

Peter the Biker
Top 100 Contributor
Eastwestfalia
934 Posts
Gold Member

Just a question: What is the maximum level on your scale. For me it is 90 at a Beovision 8. Audio levels go from 45 to 60, video levels go from 45 to 65, when I listen at my medium and loud levels.  I don't know how to give a certain number with my Essence. My ears decide what is good for me.

Peter the biker

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
1,197 Posts
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Tue, Jan 19 2016 3:54 PM

Speaking of levels, at least here in the States, there's no standard for what the level is/should be. What I mean is this. In my grographic area, certain television channels are much louder than other (CBS for example, sounds much louder than PBS) and CBS's dynamic range; the level between commercials and programming is incredibly wide, my wife and I have to pay particular attention that our fingers are on the volume button when watching it. Here's a quick rundown of the volume levels for our BV11/BL9 combination for comfortable listening / ability to hear voices, etc at a level which isn't too soft, but not too jarring

CBS 37-42

ESPN 42-50

PBS 38-45

AppleTV when playing video: 35-38

HomeMedia when playing music from NAS: 31-35 (sometimes even lower)

HomeMedia when playing videos from NAS: 31-45 depending on the source / rip

BeoMusic (Essence w/BL20), I don't know the exact value (I wish it had a numerical indicator on the volume), I can say that the circle is between 1/3 to 1/2 complete, again this is highly dependent on the recording level.

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Badsey, UK
3,494 Posts
Bronze Member
Watching Apple TV i can comfortably watch a movie at 67-75(adverts are very loud over 60!), but on Apple Music nothing above 60. Watching Sky 62-65.

Bluerays anything up to 90! It seems the signal strength from the 7's internal player is very weak.

Beovision 11-55, Beolab 2, Beolab 6000, Beolit 15, Beoplay A2 Active

Killyp
Not Ranked
55 Posts
Bronze Member
Killyp replied on Tue, Jan 19 2016 5:30 PM

Chris Townsend:
Watching Apple TV i can comfortably watch a movie at 67-75(adverts are very loud over 60!), but on Apple Music nothing above 60. Watching Sky 62-65.

Bluerays anything up to 90! It seems the signal strength from the 7's internal player is very weak.

Actually the blu-ray movies have much more dynamic range than music content. Modern recordings are generally all heavily compressed to bring the 'average' level up (at the expenses of sound quality of course).

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
1,197 Posts
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Tue, Jan 19 2016 5:36 PM

Getting back to the OP's question, I don't think I've ever pushed my 9's to the point where I was afraid they'd go orange. Maybe my ears are too sensitive to loud sounds (or I'm just a coward), that I think it would become very uncomfortable for me well before they'd reach that point.

Chaka
Top 500 Contributor
Chicago
312 Posts
Bronze Member
Chaka replied on Wed, Jan 20 2016 12:19 AM

Thanks guys.

Off to the repair shop (again..)  LOL

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
1,716 Posts
Gold Member
CB replied on Wed, Jan 20 2016 5:44 PM

Sal:
BeoMusic (Essence w/BL20), I don't know the exact value (I wish it had a numerical indicator on the volume), I can say that the circle is between 1/3 to 1/2 complete, again this is highly dependent on the recording level.

If I remember well (I didn't use the Android app since quite a long time), there is/was a value, next to the Beomusic sound wheel, that appears when you change the volume level with your finger.

smuehli
Top 500 Contributor
Ludwigsburg, Germany
104 Posts
Bronze Member

How 'bout some further Infos?

What went wrong and how does it happen?

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL