rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 3 verified answers | 25 Replies | 1 Follower

svinaik
Top 500 Contributor
202 Posts
Bronze Member
svinaik posted on Thu, Jan 7 2016 1:31 AM

Folks

Is the current Avant 85" compatible with the HDR standard which is being splashed around the CES. I am actively considering the 85" version but will wait until I get the confirmation that Avant panels / firmware / connections are HDR compatible.

Sincerely appreciate guidance.

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
1,447 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Verified) Simonbeo replied on Sun, Jan 10 2016 10:48 AM
Verified by svinaik

Millemissen:

http://www.avsforum.com/ultra-hd-premium-certification-at-ces-2016/

The conclusion of this article is:

'This is a big step forward in the transition from HD to UHD, much more important than increased pixel resolution alone.

In my view, adding the Ultra HD Premium specs to the equation finally makes this transition akin to the move

from standard definition to HD more than a decade ago.

If what I’m seeing at CES is any indication, the future of UHD is bright indeed.'

I see the BV Avant (new) as an interim model - can't wait to see, what a future BV will bring.

From an overall point of view certainly a nice tv, but there is more to come picturewise - must be.

MM

In the new book it is mentioned by Tue that b&o TVs are expected to last longer and that it's good for many things including ecology so how can the customer keep the set long enough to justify £6k or more if it's going to become obsolete. Can any components/stand and casing be kept from your existing tv and the upgrade be made with new internals and screen?

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

butch1
Top 200 Contributor
371 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Verified) butch1 replied on Sun, Jan 10 2016 11:52 AM
Verified by svinaik

The present avant, reminds me of, when I bought, my so called HD ready bv7-40 mark 2. No 2 channel pcm, so the HD ready standard was compromised form the start, also DVi and component connections.

I think the present avant will end up like this, with owners needing different connection boxes, update different cables to get everything to work like I had to do with my mark 2, before the hdmi mark 3 was launched.

If you look at the new Sony Top models which are HDR compliance with hi res audio and smart functions that are usable, with Amazon 4k, Netflix 4k and YouTube 4k, with decent speakers for general viewing.

I am sure b&o could have put many of the features into the avant to make everyday living with a 4k TV accessible.

B&o used to be about the end user, technology simplified for an easier life, that is a reason I choose the brand, not so these days.I know the Netflix button on Sony remotes is cheesy but at least it's easy to use for the end user, no need to fire up a seperate Apple TV to go through Netflix etc, that is what a smart system is meant to be.

Also Sony provides a smaller remote which is voice activated which is tremendous for YouTube.This is what I want in a TV but with b&o, build,design,sound and picture quality.I am still waiting.

I went looking for a new wall mounted TV for new family room and looked at avant 75, For the first time in over 20 years I ended up with a Sony  75" x9405  as it had everything that was needed for 4k now, and the future already, and the picture was better than the avant to my eyes.I am putting either lab 5s or 20s with it or going whole surround setup.

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
1,447 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Verified) Simonbeo replied on Sun, Jan 10 2016 11:53 AM
Verified by svinaik

The smart functions are likely to be covered by an add on Apple TV so what about other elements?

Sony did modular TVs in the eighties I recall .

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

All Replies

butch1
Top 200 Contributor
371 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Verified) butch1 replied on Sun, Jan 10 2016 11:52 AM
Verified by svinaik

The present avant, reminds me of, when I bought, my so called HD ready bv7-40 mark 2. No 2 channel pcm, so the HD ready standard was compromised form the start, also DVi and component connections.

I think the present avant will end up like this, with owners needing different connection boxes, update different cables to get everything to work like I had to do with my mark 2, before the hdmi mark 3 was launched.

If you look at the new Sony Top models which are HDR compliance with hi res audio and smart functions that are usable, with Amazon 4k, Netflix 4k and YouTube 4k, with decent speakers for general viewing.

I am sure b&o could have put many of the features into the avant to make everyday living with a 4k TV accessible.

B&o used to be about the end user, technology simplified for an easier life, that is a reason I choose the brand, not so these days.I know the Netflix button on Sony remotes is cheesy but at least it's easy to use for the end user, no need to fire up a seperate Apple TV to go through Netflix etc, that is what a smart system is meant to be.

Also Sony provides a smaller remote which is voice activated which is tremendous for YouTube.This is what I want in a TV but with b&o, build,design,sound and picture quality.I am still waiting.

I went looking for a new wall mounted TV for new family room and looked at avant 75, For the first time in over 20 years I ended up with a Sony  75" x9405  as it had everything that was needed for 4k now, and the future already, and the picture was better than the avant to my eyes.I am putting either lab 5s or 20s with it or going whole surround setup.

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
1,447 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Verified) Simonbeo replied on Sun, Jan 10 2016 11:53 AM
Verified by svinaik

The smart functions are likely to be covered by an add on Apple TV so what about other elements?

Sony did modular TVs in the eighties I recall .

butch1
Top 200 Contributor
371 Posts
Bronze Member
butch1 replied on Sun, Jan 10 2016 12:07 PM

Amazon and Netflix is not on Apple TV, and Apple TV is only 1080p.Also the TV has full backlight array with local dimming for £4995 it's a bargain.

butch1
Top 200 Contributor
371 Posts
Bronze Member
butch1 replied on Sun, Jan 10 2016 12:16 PM

I meant only Netflix, not both on Apple.Regarding 4k content there is loads and you can really see a difference in picture, my two bv7-40 mark 6 are good but I admit the Sony displaying 4k content is a big step up.

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Badsey, UK
3,300 Posts
Bronze Member
Amazon is coming for the Apple TV

http://www.digitaltrends.com/movies/amazon-instant-video-apple-tv-launch/

Beovision Eclipse, BeoLab 17,Beolit 15, Beoplay A2 Active

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,348 Posts
Bronze Member

Chris Townsend:

Unfortunately I think it's a case of seeing where the tech settles, and being happy with it. I am happy with my 7-55 I got two years ago, 

but if I had I bought it when it came out I'd be ecstatic, considering it's still technically relevant.

That is exactly how the the owners of the current Avant should think.

It is - from an overall point of view - an excellent tv.

And why focus on the things, that you don't have, instead of enjoying, what you already have?

I still enjoy my tv, even if I know that I could get something better (e.g. the Avant).

But knowing how technology has evolved/evolves, I (sorry B&O) would not buy into the current Avant now.

With my financial possibilities, I will/I must wait to see, what comes ---- from B&O.

If I could afford replacing my tv after 2-3 years time, I had bought the Avant right away.

Of course B&O could only built the Avant as is - all the nice things (HDR....), we ask for, simply weren't available, when it was conceived.

Still, I am sure that they won't rest - they simply can't excist in the tv market, if they don't offer a new tv and/or a hardware upgraded Avant/BV11.

And we need the tv - the BV is the hub of a B&O setup.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

butch1
Top 200 Contributor
371 Posts
Bronze Member
butch1 replied on Sun, Jan 10 2016 1:28 PM

Amazon is coming for the Apple TV

http://www.digitaltrends.com/movies/amazon-instant-video-apple-tv-launch/

Beovision 7-55 Mk2, Beovision 8-32, Avant RF 28, Beolab 9,  Beolit 15,  Beoplay A2, Beocom 2, Beotime, H8/H6/H2, Form 2.

I know Chris, but not 4k like the built in app I have, and with every new TV going down the 4k route it's a bad choice for Apple, your better getting an Amazon box which has 4k
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,348 Posts
Bronze Member
Suggested by Chris Townsend

Interesting interview - Netflix at CES 2016 - the importance of HDR:

https://vimeo.com/151532378

MM

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,334 Posts
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Mon, Apr 11 2016 9:56 AM

Heard a rumor that there will be an AVANT MKII in June, that support HDR and Deep Color.

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Library: A6, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5 Office: Beocom 2 Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay P2

Bv7Mk3
Top 100 Contributor
uk
775 Posts
Bronze Member
Bv7Mk3 replied on Mon, Apr 11 2016 12:40 PM
Could be up for itWhistle Or do I wate alittle longer for oled?....depends if the oled tv is no more than 10k?
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,348 Posts
Bronze Member

Would be nice, if it comes in june - although I doubt, that it will be in the shops before some time after the summer vacations.

The new 2017 will be a new one - and probably a rather expensive one. OLED panels are still very costly.

MM

Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL