rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 3 verified answers | 25 Replies | 1 Follower

svinaik
Top 500 Contributor
202 Posts
Bronze Member
svinaik posted on Thu, Jan 7 2016 1:31 AM

Folks

Is the current Avant 85" compatible with the HDR standard which is being splashed around the CES. I am actively considering the 85" version but will wait until I get the confirmation that Avant panels / firmware / connections are HDR compatible.

Sincerely appreciate guidance.

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
1,444 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Verified) Simonbeo replied on Sun, Jan 10 2016 10:48 AM
Verified by svinaik

Millemissen:

http://www.avsforum.com/ultra-hd-premium-certification-at-ces-2016/

The conclusion of this article is:

'This is a big step forward in the transition from HD to UHD, much more important than increased pixel resolution alone.

In my view, adding the Ultra HD Premium specs to the equation finally makes this transition akin to the move

from standard definition to HD more than a decade ago.

If what I’m seeing at CES is any indication, the future of UHD is bright indeed.'

I see the BV Avant (new) as an interim model - can't wait to see, what a future BV will bring.

From an overall point of view certainly a nice tv, but there is more to come picturewise - must be.

MM

In the new book it is mentioned by Tue that b&o TVs are expected to last longer and that it's good for many things including ecology so how can the customer keep the set long enough to justify £6k or more if it's going to become obsolete. Can any components/stand and casing be kept from your existing tv and the upgrade be made with new internals and screen?

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

butch1
Top 200 Contributor
371 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Verified) butch1 replied on Sun, Jan 10 2016 11:52 AM
Verified by svinaik

The present avant, reminds me of, when I bought, my so called HD ready bv7-40 mark 2. No 2 channel pcm, so the HD ready standard was compromised form the start, also DVi and component connections.

I think the present avant will end up like this, with owners needing different connection boxes, update different cables to get everything to work like I had to do with my mark 2, before the hdmi mark 3 was launched.

If you look at the new Sony Top models which are HDR compliance with hi res audio and smart functions that are usable, with Amazon 4k, Netflix 4k and YouTube 4k, with decent speakers for general viewing.

I am sure b&o could have put many of the features into the avant to make everyday living with a 4k TV accessible.

B&o used to be about the end user, technology simplified for an easier life, that is a reason I choose the brand, not so these days.I know the Netflix button on Sony remotes is cheesy but at least it's easy to use for the end user, no need to fire up a seperate Apple TV to go through Netflix etc, that is what a smart system is meant to be.

Also Sony provides a smaller remote which is voice activated which is tremendous for YouTube.This is what I want in a TV but with b&o, build,design,sound and picture quality.I am still waiting.

I went looking for a new wall mounted TV for new family room and looked at avant 75, For the first time in over 20 years I ended up with a Sony  75" x9405  as it had everything that was needed for 4k now, and the future already, and the picture was better than the avant to my eyes.I am putting either lab 5s or 20s with it or going whole surround setup.

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
1,444 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Verified) Simonbeo replied on Sun, Jan 10 2016 11:53 AM
Verified by svinaik

The smart functions are likely to be covered by an add on Apple TV so what about other elements?

Sony did modular TVs in the eighties I recall .

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

All Replies

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,334 Posts
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Thu, Jan 7 2016 8:55 AM

I am very sure the Avant it is NOT "HDR compliant" . What makes it even more difficult is that different manufacturers have their own spec on HDR.

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Library: A6, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5 Office: Beocom 2 Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay P2

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,343 Posts
Bronze Member

Definitely not!

As Hiort writes there are even different ways of realizing HDR - what will be the standart or if the manufactorers will have to support several standarts is yet unknown. This is something, that the next months will show.

Who knows - maybe they will (can) upgrade the Avant. Things are moving fast - even by B&O nowadys.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,334 Posts
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Thu, Jan 7 2016 12:42 PM

Millemissen:

Who knows - maybe they will (can) upgrade the Avant. Things are moving fast - even by B&O nowadys.

I seriously doubt that. The HDR technology is in the panel as well, and not only in software.

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Library: A6, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5 Office: Beocom 2 Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay P2

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,343 Posts
Bronze Member

Hiort:

I seriously doubt that. The HDR technology is in the panel as well, and not only in software.

That is exactly the reason, why I choose the word 'upgrade' instead of 'update'.

MM

Paul W
Top 50 Contributor
London
1,810 Posts
Bronze Member

This is interesting...

http://www.whathifi.com/news/ultra-hd-premium-spec-announced-hdr-4k-content-and-devices?

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Badsey, UK
3,299 Posts
Bronze Member
Until actual watchable material turns up in large numbers, and with the tech still evolving, I could never imagine investing large amounts of cash in a tv at the moment.

Trust me, if an equivalent to the 7-55 came out I'd buy it, just not yet. Fascinating times though watching it all finally come to fruition.

Beovision Eclipse, BeoLab 17,Beolit 15, Beoplay A2 Active

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,343 Posts
Bronze Member

Paul W:

This is interesting...

http://www.whathifi.com/news/ultra-hd-premium-spec-announced-hdr-4k-content-and-devices?

https://vimeo.com/150760240

They are all going all in :-)

MM

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
1,444 Posts
Bronze Member

Chris Townsend:
Until actual watchable material turns up in large numbers, and with the tech still evolving, I could never imagine investing large amounts of cash in a tv at the moment.

Trust me, if an equivalent to the 7-55 came out I'd buy it, just not yet. Fascinating times though watching it all finally come to fruition.

Just opened a letter from the B&O dealer who sold us and installed our V1 enclosing a £1200 loyalty voucher towards an Avant.

svinaik
Top 500 Contributor
202 Posts
Bronze Member

Hoirt / Millemissen / Townsend

Thank you very much for your responses. I have decided to wait until I get some more clarity on B&O's plans on the HDR introduction. It is too important an upgrade to miss on such an expensive television.

Let's keep this discussion alive to share what we learn individually.

Best

Bv7Mk3
Top 100 Contributor
uk
775 Posts
Bronze Member

Maybe the Android tv coming will have what you need? 

I have been  wateing for Mk2 Avant but  not going to happen I think.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,343 Posts
Bronze Member

'This is a big step forward in the transition from HD to UHD, much more important than increased pixel resolution alone.

In my view, adding the Ultra HD Premium specs to the equation finally makes this transition akin to the move

If what I’m seeing at CES is any indication, the future of UHD is bright indeed.'

I see the BV Avant (new) as an interim model - can't wait to see, what a future BV will bring.

From an overall point of view certainly a nice tv, but there is more to come picturewise - must be.

MM

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
1,444 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Verified) Simonbeo replied on Sun, Jan 10 2016 10:48 AM
Verified by svinaik

Millemissen:

MM

In the new book it is mentioned by Tue that b&o TVs are expected to last longer and that it's good for many things including ecology so how can the customer keep the set long enough to justify £6k or more if it's going to become obsolete. Can any components/stand and casing be kept from your existing tv and the upgrade be made with new internals and screen?

Peter the Biker
Top 100 Contributor
Eastwestfalia
864 Posts
Gold Member

Simonbeo:

Chris Townsend:

Just opened a letter from the B&O dealer who sold us and installed our V1 enclosing a £1200 loyalty voucher towards an Avant.

Am email by B&O points at my wallet offering an Avant 55" at 1,000 € loyalty discount. It would be tempting if there were enough €€€ in this wallet ...

Peter the biker

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Badsey, UK
3,299 Posts
Bronze Member
I suggested this years ago and was shot down for it being far fetched. Samsung do it to an extent.

Unfortunately I think it's a case of seeing where the tech settles, and being happy with it. I'm happy with my 7-55 I got two years ago, but If I had I bought it when it came out I'd be ecstatic, considering it's still technically relevant.

In just a few short years though it might seem old hat. Hard to trade In for hopefully a worthy successor.

Samsung seem to have a new UHD panel tech that gives virtually all the benefits of OLED, but without any of its complications. Chrystal or something! Give us this or similar, with UHD and HDR and all the other Beovision things and you'd be safe for a good few years, I thinkErm..

Although 8K is just about to go on sale.......

Beovision Eclipse, BeoLab 17,Beolit 15, Beoplay A2 Active

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL