How to debug Beolab Transmitter1 / Beolab 17

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 18 Replies | 1 Follower

themihai
Not Ranked
32 Posts
Bronze Member
themihai posted on Wed, Dec 30 2015 7:57 PM

I've got a brand new Beolab Transmitter 1 and a pair of beolab 17 speakers. The transmitter is connected with RCA plugs to the pre outs of a Marantz 5010 a/v receiver.

The issue is that most of the times when the system wakes up from stand-by mode or is powered on the music plays very low.  It plays so low that I can barely hear it when I turn the receiver volume to maximum and even that low it sounds distorted. Usually the issue gets "fixed" itself after plugging/unplugging the mains of the Transmitter1 for several times. I'm not sure if the issue is on the Transmitter 1 or the speakers themselves.

Any idea how to debug it or is it a common issue? I've heard of a software (ServiceTool) that could help me diagnostic it but so far I couldn't find where to download it.

Mihai.

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Tifoso48
Top 500 Contributor
110 Posts
Bronze Member
Verified by Tifoso48

Hi Mihai,

I think you need to go through a process of elimination.

1 - the cable - is it a proper B&O cable with RJ45 for the Transmitter 1 and RCA for the pre-amp out on the Marantz?

2 - have you gone through the set up process on the Marantz using the provided microphone?

This is really critical because the Marantz will determine the number of speakers and proper set up.

Part of this process are sound signals - are they also extremely soft or reasonably loud.

Do you have any other speakers connected or just the Beolab 17's  

My suspicion is that the Marantz may not be properly configured.

3 - did you have any issues setting up the Transmitter 1 - it can be a bit of a process.

do you have it set for "non b&o" equipment ?

You would have to be very unlucky to have faulty equipment, it most likely is a connection or set up issue. 

All Replies

Tifoso48
Top 500 Contributor
110 Posts
Bronze Member
Verified by Tifoso48

Hi Mihai,

I think you need to go through a process of elimination.

1 - the cable - is it a proper B&O cable with RJ45 for the Transmitter 1 and RCA for the pre-amp out on the Marantz?

2 - have you gone through the set up process on the Marantz using the provided microphone?

This is really critical because the Marantz will determine the number of speakers and proper set up.

Part of this process are sound signals - are they also extremely soft or reasonably loud.

Do you have any other speakers connected or just the Beolab 17's  

My suspicion is that the Marantz may not be properly configured.

3 - did you have any issues setting up the Transmitter 1 - it can be a bit of a process.

do you have it set for "non b&o" equipment ?

You would have to be very unlucky to have faulty equipment, it most likely is a connection or set up issue. 

themihai
Not Ranked
32 Posts
Bronze Member

The cables are RCA(Hamma brand) at both ends as I currently have only two speakers. They are connected to the pre-outs of the Marantz. I'm confident that Beolab Transmitter is set up properly because sometimes it works fine(the sound is loud  and clear). Marantz calibration works when the sound works but when the speakers sound  too low it says that the speakers or the microphone might not be connected. I guess it can't hear the speakers because they sound too low.

I've also updated the firmware of the speakers/Transmitter 1using a USB stick but it didn't fix the issue either. I've noticed that the transmitter 1 has some parameters/config (RCA sensitivity: 900) but I can't find any documentation so I've left them unchanged.

I've ordered RCA to Powerllink from B&O and will update the post with the results. I'm also considering buying another pair of beolab 17 test them as well(I was planning to buy one more pair anyway). Still it's a shame that there is no software available to run a diagnostic on each component(Transmitter/speakers).

Tifoso48
Top 500 Contributor
110 Posts
Bronze Member

Happy New Year!

I am a bit confused and actually looked at the T 1 manual again before writing this note.

I am fairly certain that the connection for a 2.0 wireless set up using an AV receiver,  must be front speaker pre amp ( RCA) to position PL 1 ( RJ45 Powerlink). 

This then in turn must get set up using the select/store buttons until you get both channels working. 

If I understood your message correctly you have this currently going into the R/L RCA input on the back of the T 1?

I am optimistic that once you receive the proper cable and make the connection and set up, this will solve your problem.

Please advise when it is done and if it worked - good luck.

Tifoso48
Top 500 Contributor
110 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi Mihai,

I was quite curious about your situation and did a bit more research.

The R/L input on the Transmitter one is designed for Audio Devices, not speakers. For example if I wanted to buy a Moment I would connect it to that particular I put.

With the use of a receiver speakers must be connected from pre-amp out to PL in using powerlink rj 45.

So, now I am quite certain that when you get the cable your problem should be solved.

themihai
Not Ranked
32 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi Tifoso48!

Thanks a lot for the research! You are right that I've connected the RCAs from the receiver to R/L RCA input on the back of the T 1. I've read the T1 manual twice but it seems I missed this. I didn't have rj45 cables so it was the only choice anyway. I will update the post once I get the proper cables. I guess the cable should have two RCA heads(R/L) at one end and one rj45 head on the other end, right?

Mihai

Tifoso48
Top 500 Contributor
110 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi,

Yes, one end will have RCA connectors - they go to the pre amp out for front speaker on your Marantz.

The other end with the RJ 45 should go into PL1 on the T1.

It is a bit of a process, pressing the "select and store" buttons in the right order and getting the right lights to flash on the T1 and the speakers.

I have seen somewhere a good description on the net that I was able to download.

The most important part for you is to make sure that when you get the white light on the PL1 connection that you get white noise out of your left speaker.

You will then store it and you should get the red light with white noise on your right speaker and store.

Maybe the folks at the Bang and Olufsen store where you purchased can walk you through.

I still get terribly lost in the sequencing which is critical in this process.

After you have got it working, please re-do the entire Marantz calibration process- I think you will be very pleased when it is all done.

I know it sounds over the top particular, but if you can somewhere get you hands on a photo tripod and mount the microphone on top - it does make quite the difference in the outcome - and whatever you do, find a really quiet time to do this.

Good luck!

themihai
Not Ranked
32 Posts
Bronze Member

@Tifoso48 I've got the cables from B&O but the issue is still there though a bit different which might be due the cables: Instead to play very low and distorted it has a strong background noise. 

It seems the a/v receiver works properly  because I've connected one Beolab 17 with the RCA cable and the other wirelessly (though transmitter 1) and while the wireless speaker plays background noise the RCA connected one plays just fine. So  I assume the issue is either on Transmitter1 or Beolab 17s wireless component.

I'm waiting for the 2nd pair of Beolab 17 which should clarify whether the issue is on Beolab 17 or on Transmitter1.

Thanks for your help,

Mihai.

Sibbi
Not Ranked
62 Posts
Bronze Member
Sibbi replied on Mon, Jan 4 2016 7:25 PM

Hi, I can not answer your question.  But I am using the Transmitter1 with beolab 17s as well.  I have the essence connected with powerlink.I also have a Cambridge audio blu ray player with variable output connected with rca cables to the rca in on the Transmitter.  It works well.  The sound output from blu rays is a lot lower than from cds.  However very clear and nice if volume is turned up.

Tifoso48
Top 500 Contributor
110 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi Mihai,

Did somebody from B&O walk you through the T1 configuration?

This is the step that drives me crazy because you must press the various buttons in a specific order.

Did you get the correct lights and white noise from the r/l speakers before pressing "select" and thus locking it in?

I guess what I am saying that most of time the issue is on the software side rather than hardware.

I am really sorry you are having all these issues, rather than grinning from ear to ear with enjoyment.

The proof of the pudding will be when the other set of 17's arrive.

Are you in the USA and do you have a great B&O support with your retailer?

Tifoso48
Top 500 Contributor
110 Posts
Bronze Member

www.bang-olufsen.com/.../EN_WPL_TX_manual_setup...

Hi Mihai,
Came across this and it seems to be reasonably clear.
Tifoso48
Top 500 Contributor
110 Posts
Bronze Member

www.bang-olufsen.com/.../EN_WPL_TX_manual_setup...

Hi Mihai,
Came across this and it seems to be reasonably clear.
Tifoso48
Top 500 Contributor
110 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi

Let's try this again,this time with the correct link ( hopefullyhttp://www.bang-

www.bang-olufsen.com/UserFiles/File/RightNow/EN_WPL_TX_manual_setup_guide_FAQ.pdf

Tifoso48
Top 500 Contributor
110 Posts
Bronze Member

Just curious - did you ever get the issue with the Transmitter 1 / BL 17 sorted?

themihai
Not Ranked
32 Posts
Bronze Member

Not yet! I'm still waiting for the 2nd pair of beolab 17. Apparently it takes longer than expected as the dealer is waiting for the wall brackets from B&O. 

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL