Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Playmaker very unreliable: Any alternative?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 54 Replies | 3 Followers

davelarue
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
96 Posts
Bronze Member
davelarue posted on Sun, Dec 13 2015 12:03 AM

After a year of playing, my playmaker has been very unreliable - with drops every other song. My airport express had no issues whatsoever. After lots of reading and troubleshooting, i'v given up.

Now, 4 years after the release of the playmaker, is there a better alternative that airplay-enables my b&o speakers (with the same quality and simplicity as the playmaker) ?

All Replies

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,850 Posts
Bronze Member

elephant:

I think we could agree that era of systems lasting decades has disappeared under a flood of software innovation

Yes - we can agree on that. It can be annoying, but it gives us new possibilities in return.

However, it is (as you know) possible to use the line in of an Essence/Playmaker etc to integrate a 'system lasting decades-cd player'.

We will still be able to mix and match things, as long as the (B&O) devices has an autosensing line in connection. Something that you can't do with an APE/external DAC combo.

I would not expect the hardware of an Essence (2nd gen) to be obsolete or outdated soon - what more would you really need to listen to music?

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
1,419 Posts
Bronze Member
CB replied on Fri, Dec 25 2015 4:57 PM

Millemissen:
what more would you really need to listen to music?

Digital auto sensing output...

May be what the new plugs DPL are on the BL90 ?

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,850 Posts
Bronze Member

CB:

Millemissen:
what more would you really need to listen to music?

Digital auto sensing output...

May be what the new plugs DPL are on the BL90 ?

Ok - I give in!

That might be something to add.

But I am pretty sure, that DPL output will be added to the audioengine of a forthcoming BV first thing - allowing the speakers (multi-speaker setup) to communicate with another.

Note: on the BL90 the DPL is used for connecting the master and the slave speaker.

Honestly, I had expected someone to wish for Wireless PL/WiSA in a future Essence version, now that the Moment already has that.

MM

davelarue
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
96 Posts
Bronze Member

Gentlemen,

Thanks a lot for all your comments. I don't have the money right now for a new essence mk2, so i feel a bit stuck. I love my B&O speakers, so need to find a way to reliably use them. The speakers are brand new from b&o btw.

To recap:

1. I live in an appartment complex with my (new) wifi router in a different room to where my speakers are. So, i can't connect via cable to the playmaker.

To test the streaming capabilities of the new router, i'v used an apple TV for streaming HD movies with no problems! Streaming to AE works great too

2. I tried using 'static IP', but there was no change in performance

3. I have an AE which works very well with VERY few dropouts compared to the playmaker.

4. I sent a friendly complaint to my local b&o shop, where i got no reply. I even asked them if i could get a good deal on a new essence. After two emails, i got no reply. I asked them in a third email about the price of a BL5...where they responded right away:D

Will it help to send an email to b&o headoffice? I paid alot for this device (3000Dkr), and i feel i have a device which doesn't work.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,850 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi davelarue,

sorry to hear, that you have problems with your Playmaker.

Some do have severe problems with it, others don't - my PM works flawless.

Since you are located in Denmark, I suppose, that you don't live far from this dealer.

Why not go there and present him the device including original box etc?

Contacting 'b&o headoffice' probably won't help you much - other than making them aware of your troubles.

MM

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
914 Posts
Bronze Member

davelarue:
1. I live in an appartment complex with my (new) wifi router in a different room to where my speakers are. So, i can't connect via cable to the playmaker.

One thing that would probably be worth a try if it's the WiFi causing the issues is a pair of powerlink devices (to send the wired Ethernet data over you apartments power wiring). You should be able to pick up a twin pack for around 250dkk.

Just plug one into a socket near your router, the other into a socket near the playmaker, and connect each of them to their respective device with a network cable.

They are generally much more reliable and lower latency than WiFi.

Kind regards

Martin.

davelarue
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
96 Posts
Bronze Member

Good idea. However, i have a feeling that its a problem with the playmaker, not the wireless network.

I guess i'm arguing for a money back....so i can buy an essence which works reliably on 5ghz without extra wifi gadgets.

Unfortunately, i don't have the original box anymore. Hm.

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
914 Posts
Bronze Member

Millemissen:

Martin means 'Powerline' devices

Thanks MM, I did indeed mean for that to say powerline. I can blame autocorrect for that little mistake...

I guess you know you are severely afflicted by the beovirus when the additions to your phones' dictionary are almost all B&O related words Wink

Millemissen:
https://www.dustinhome.dk/product/5010810434/dlan-1200-wifi-ac-starter-kit-powerline?ssel=false&utm_campaign=pricerunner&utm_source=pricerunner.dk&utm_medium=pricecompare&utm_content=5637146320&_ga=1.30532351.1709249228.1438898324

Yes, that's the type of device I'm talking about, but there are much cheaper models available, particularly because there is no requirement for WiFi support in this instance. For example:

https://www.dustinhome.dk/product/5010658607

davelarue:
Good idea. However, i have a feeling that its a problem with the playmaker, not the wireless network.

I seem to recall a number of users having issues whilst using WiFi on the playmaker back when it was a current product, and the problems tended to disappear when they were used 'wired' instead, so if you do decide not to return your unit, or can't gain your dealers approval to do so for any reason, the powerline option is likely to be well worth considering.

Kind Regards,

Martin.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,850 Posts
Bronze Member

I - too - would engage you to try out the Powerline solution, before you bring it back.

And yes, there are cheaper devices, than the one in my link. It was actually the first I found - just to show you what kind of device it was. Order a set, try it out and return it, if it doesn't suit you.

If you only need AirPlay, there is no need for investing in the Essence.

MM

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,850 Posts
Bronze Member

By the way - I have recently installed a (brand) new router at home, a replacement for my longtime Linksys router companion, and my Playmaker is still working well!

Maybe these tips from the manufacturers knowledge base can help you detect the problems with your Wifi/Playmaker:

http://en.avm.de/service/fritzbox/fritzbox-7490/knowledge-base/publication/show/27_Wireless-connection-drops-frequently/

The described settings are of course device specific - but they should be easy to find in any modern router.

davelarue
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
96 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks for your help everybody. I will see what B&O says, and also look at he powerline option. 

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
3,425 Posts
Bronze Member
davelarue:

Thanks for your help everybody. I will see what B&O says, and also look at he powerline option.

That's how I used mine and never any issues
davelarue
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
96 Posts
Bronze Member

After discussing with B&O support by email, they finally told me to contact the supplier and get it repaired. There is nothing wrong with the actual product....the 2.4ghz is rather a design limitation.

I argue that B&O should take the cost of upgrading all playmakers to 5Ghz so that everyone at least have the same reliability as apple's airport express'.

After all, we are paying a premium price for their products!

I don't want to:

- Move my router closer to the playmaker and connect via ethernet

- Buy extra wifi extenders to connect via ethernet

- Make special router settings etc etc. I don't have to do this to my airport express. And, it didn't improve reliability anyway....

Please, B&O: Help your customers use your products more by upgrading the playmaker to 5ghz.

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,431 Posts
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Fri, May 13 2016 3:09 PM

davelarue:

After discussing with B&O support by email, they finally told me to contact the supplier and get it repaired. There is nothing wrong with the actual product....the 2.4ghz is rather a design limitation.

I argue that B&O should take the cost of upgrading all playmakers to 5Ghz so that everyone at least have the same reliability as apple's airport express'.

After all, we are paying a premium price for their products!

I don't want to:

- Move my router closer to the playmaker and connect via ethernet

- Buy extra wifi extenders to connect via ethernet

- Make special router settings etc etc. I don't have to do this to my airport express. And, it didn't improve reliability anyway....

Please, B&O: Help your customers use your products more by upgrading the playmaker to 5ghz.

Will not happen for sure. Playmaker is discontinued as product.

I do not know any vendor that upgrade discontinued hardware (assuming it would require hardware upgrade rather than just software). I understand it would be desirable as a Playmaker owner, but that Playmaker did not support 5ghz was clear from the beginning. To require B&O to follow evolving standards on all equipment is asking a bit to much in my mind.

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Library: A6, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5 Office: Beocom 2 Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay P2

Page 3 of 4 (55 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL