Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Click here to change your Beoworld Account Details

Beolab Penta Mk1 Mk2 Mk3. Why do you love them so much? Please share! Tell your story.

This post has 67 Replies | 5 Followers

Stereomensch
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 105
Bronze Member

@PeterPan:

so you changed the chassis to visaton?

Did you change the crossover, too? I don't know much about crossovers, but as far as I know, you have to modificate the crossover?

The visaton chassis should have a better quality, is the sound different from the ITT chassis?

@ Steve:

Do you still have the redline speakers? Did you compare the rl 140 with the Pentas?

Peter Pan
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,087
Bronze Member

@ Stereomensch

My speakers are from the start BeoVox Penta.

Stereomensch
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 105
Bronze Member

Has anyone of you ever tried the modifications of our member "die Bogener"?

I think he changed the crossover a bit?

hfinette
Not Ranked
Posts 11
Silver Member
hfinette replied on Wed, Jul 11 2018 6:44 PM

Der Umbau ist der Hammer...

Christophe
Top 500 Contributor
Cape Town
Posts 92
Bronze Member

Hi BeoWorlders,

I'm glad to see this thread, I'm the happy owner of a pair of BeoVox Pentas that I bought 6 years ago, paired with a Rotel IcePower amplifier until .. 2 days ago. The Rotel RB1510 was a 2x60 W power amp and was already delivering - I thought -  beautiful sound to the Pentas. 

And then 2 days ago, a hi-fi dealer came to my place to make me try 2 other amps, a NAD2700 rated at 150 W and THX certified, and another esoteric amplifier from Vatiros (made in Thailand, huge mono blocks rated at 120 W).

After trying the Nad, then the Vatiros, I paid him for the Vatiros mono blocks and am rediscovering all my albums ! The dealer was with me when I played my test playlist and was looking for a sub all around the place.. I told him "there's no sub, just a DSP with room correction", much like what BeoLab 5 does.

My Pentas were renovated inside and outside: of course the midrange drivers were reconed, all drivers were silver-soldered to the internal wires, all filters were upgraded with new and better capacitors, and the black frets were replaced as well.

I'm using a DSPEAKER Anti-Mode DSP/room correction DAC that makes the Pentas go down to 35 Hz at -3 dB, and also removed their typical 100 Hz "bump".

The stellar prices on the new BeoLab speakers makes me want to keep them for as long as possible, not to mention the fact that they seem to have been designed to fit my windows..!

Svenni
Not Ranked
Berlin, Germany
Posts 23
Bronze Member
Svenni replied on Thu, Jul 12 2018 4:35 PM

Would love to hear more about your DAC setup!

Beoplay A2 Black
Beoplay H6 Black (Gen 2)
Beoplay S3 Black (x2)
Beovox CX50 White (with Beocreate 4CA)
Beovox CX50 Aluminium/Black (needs repair)

Beovox RL 6000 White

Howzit
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 83
Bronze Member
Howzit replied on Sun, Jul 15 2018 9:22 AM
I second that, would love to hear more about the DSP and DAC setup!

Beolab 9 | Beolab 8000 | Beolab 6000 | Beolab 2 | Beolab 3 | Beosound 9000 | Beoplay A9 | Beomaster 8000 | Beovox M75, / S75, / S45.2 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 11,066
Bronze Member

Howzit:
I second that, would love to hear more about the DSP and DAC setup!

You can read more about the DSPeaker here:

http://www.dspeaker.com/

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/dspeaker-anti-mode-20-dualcore-digital-signal-processor/

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Stereomensch
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 105
Bronze Member

I want to repair my new old pentas.

Audiofriends from the netherlands sells sicken made of foam and of gummi (rubber)?

Which one should I take? Is there any difference between them?

Gummi (Rubber):

https://www.repairyourspeakers.com/index.php?item=bang--amp--olufsen-beovox-beolab-penta---reparaturset-gummi&action=article&group_id=10000016&aid=410&lang=de

Foam: (Schaumstoff)

https://www.repairyourspeakers.com/index.php?item=b-o-bang--amp--olufsen-penta---reparaturset-schaumstoff-sicken&action=article&group_id=10000016&aid=2184&lang=de

DMacri
Top 150 Contributor
United States
Posts 537
Gold Member
DMacri replied on Wed, Jul 18 2018 11:28 AM
Foam is the original and will ensure a close match to the original specifications, so may be the right choice for authenticity. I bought the rubber surrounds because I plan to keep these speakers into retirement and I don’t want to have to reform again in 15 - 20 years. The rubber surrounds seem to be fine and will remain flexible for years to come. I am hoping they will not impact the sound too much. So it comes down to longevity over authenticity.

Dom

BeoSystem 3, BeoSystem 5000, BeoSystem 6500, 2 pair of BeoLab Penta mk2, AV 7000, BeoSound 4000, Playmaker, BeoLab 2500, S-45, S-45.2, RL-140, CX-50, C-75, CX-100, 3 MCL82 link rooms, Beolab 2000 x3, A8 earphones, A3, 4001 relay, H3, H3 ANC, H6, and ambio 

hfinette
Not Ranked
Posts 11
Silver Member
hfinette replied on Wed, Jul 18 2018 10:30 PM

Die Schaumsicken von Audiofriends kann ich sehr empfehlen, habe gerade 16 Mitteltöner damit repariert...

Stereomensch
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 105
Bronze Member

Danke für Deine Antwort. Ich werde heute noch bei Audiofriends kaufen.

Dann am Wochenende ein Bild von der Weiche machen und bei Dillen die restlichen Teile bestellen Cool

Bei den Metallteilen habe ich nur einen Defekt, mir fehlen bei beiden Lautsprechern hinten diese schmalen Streifen.

Ich glaube ich lass das so, sieht eh keiner, oder....

hfinette
Not Ranked
Posts 11
Silver Member
hfinette replied on Fri, Jul 20 2018 6:47 AM

Die Frequezweichen und Verstärkerumbauten habe ich nach der Anleitung vom "Die_Bogener" gemacht, das ist schon der Hammer wie die Pentas danach klingen. Teile habe ich von Hellsound und Conrad bezogen. Du wirst deine Freude an den Pentas haben...

hfinette
Not Ranked
Posts 11
Silver Member
hfinette replied on Fri, Jul 20 2018 6:48 AM

Die Frequenzweichen und Verstärkerumbau habe ich nach der Anleitung vom "Die_Bogener" gemacht, das ist schon der Hammer wie die Pentas danach klingen. Teile habe ich von Hellsound und Conrad bezogen. Du wirst deine Freude an den Pentas haben...

Stereomensch
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 105
Bronze Member

Super!!!

Sag mal wo finde ich die Anleitung der Bogeners?

Gruss Christian

hfinette
Not Ranked
Posts 11
Silver Member
hfinette replied on Fri, Jul 20 2018 8:41 AM

im alten Forum

https://archivedforum.beoworld.org/forums/t/5850.aspx?PageIndex=1

der Weichenumbau bezieht sich auf MK 2 oder 3, die Weichen der MK1 sind wohl etwas anders, die Bilder sind leider nicht mehr vorhanden...

ich habe Folienkondensatoren von Intertechnik MKT Radial 160v und WIMA's verbaut, für den Hochtonbereich habe ich 6,8µf  WIMA verbaut.... ich liebe die hohen Töne ;-)

carlito
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 215
Silver Member
carlito replied on Fri, Jul 20 2018 10:02 AM

hfinette:

im alten Forum

https://archivedforum.beoworld.org/forums/t/5850.aspx?PageIndex=1

der Weichenumbau bezieht sich auf MK 2 oder 3, die Weichen der MK1 sind wohl etwas anders, die Bilder sind leider nicht mehr vorhanden...

ich habe Folienkondensatoren von Intertechnik MKT Radial 160v und WIMA's verbaut, für den Hochtonbereich habe ich 6,8µf  WIMA verbaut.... ich liebe die hohen Töne ;-)

Kannst du hier noch eine Auflistung machen welche Teile zu ersetzen sind und mit welchen Teile du diese ersetzt hast. 

Nur Teile der Weiche oder auch Teile des Verstärkers?

Besten Dank

Stereomensch
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 105
Bronze Member

Die Holländer in diesem Forum diskutieren die gleiche Frage:

Smile

Hej igen

Forvent at mellemtoneenhederne skal skiftes. Der er 8 stk. De koster 400-500 kr. pr. stk. Kan købes hos BB elektronik. BB i Humlebæk kan sikkert også renovere pentaerne. Sikkert også Bremdal i Stuer..

SBR renoverede mine pentaer MK II og opgraderede dem til MK III (Den berømte modstand) Monteringen af det grønne display gjorde jeg selv.

Nedenstående komponenter kan købes hos Brink Elektronik

Kondensatorerne, der skal skiftes er:

Mellemtone filter

C1: 22 uF 10% 35 V 

C2: 8,2 uF 10% 35 V

C3: 82 uF 15% 35 V

C4: 3,3 uF 10% 100 V

C5: 10 uF 10% 35 V

C6: 680 nF 10% 63 V -  kaldes 0,68 uF

C7: 680 nF 10% 63 V -  kaldes 0,68 uF

C8: 22 uF 10% 35 V

Bas and dikast filter

C1: 68 uF 10% 35 V

C2: 220 uF 20% 35 V

C3: 47 uF 10 % 35 V

C4: 2,2 uF 10% 100 V   (tweeter)

C5: 3,9 uF 10% 100 V   (tweeter)

C6: 680 nF 10% 63 V -  0,68 uF   (tweeter)

mvh/Fritz

Hier gefunden:

https://forum.beoworld.org/forums/t/33375.aspx

es geht wohl darum, dass die Frequenzweiche mal geändert wurde und nun mehr und bessere Mitten halt als vorher:

Opgraderingen er i mellemtone delefiltret nemlig R1 der oprindelig var 3.3 ohm men blev ændret til 2.2.

hfinette
Not Ranked
Posts 11
Silver Member
hfinette replied on Fri, Jul 20 2018 11:21 AM

in dem o.g. Thread ist alles beschrieben, ich kann es aber gerne noch einmal hierhin kopieren.

BOARD 14:

This board is responsible for the tweeter and the bass section.

The tweeter uses C4 and R3. C4 is original 2.2uf and can be modded to 4.7 - 5.6 - 6.8uf. I like 5.6uf Wima. The picture shows a 4,7uf intertechnik. It is a little bit "soft".

R3 can be set to 0 Ohm. it can be a wire bridge next to the big coil.

All other parts were replaced by the same values by Intertechnik MKT foil capacitors. They are sold in germany by Conrad Electronik. I have tested also some other types, in the bass section i found no difference between MKS, MKT ... just the price was very different. The Intertechnik are not soo expensive and fit pretty good on the boards.

C4 habe ich 6,8µf verwendet

Board 15. 

It is responsible for the mid's.

The resistor R5 can be set to 0 Ohm by a small wire bridge, the mid's become loader.

All other capacitors have the same values like original. The C1 = 27uf is replaced by 1x22uf and 1x4,7uf, this value is hard to get.

für den C1 habe ich den MKTA250 von Intertechnik in 27µf verwendet

das ist die Beschreibung von Martin "Die_Bogener"

hfinette
Not Ranked
Posts 11
Silver Member
hfinette replied on Fri, Jul 20 2018 11:21 AM

in dem o.g. Thread ist alles beschrieben, ich kann es aber gerne noch einmal hierhin kopieren.

BOARD 14:

This board is responsible for the tweeter and the bass section.

The tweeter uses C4 and R3. C4 is original 2.2uf and can be modded to 4.7 - 5.6 - 6.8uf. I like 5.6uf Wima. The picture shows a 4,7uf intertechnik. It is a little bit "soft".

R3 can be set to 0 Ohm. it can be a wire bridge next to the big coil.

All other parts were replaced by the same values by Intertechnik MKT foil capacitors. They are sold in germany by Conrad Electronik. I have tested also some other types, in the bass section i found no difference between MKS, MKT ... just the price was very different. The Intertechnik are not soo expensive and fit pretty good on the boards.

C4 habe ich 6,8µf verwendet

Board 15. 

It is responsible for the mid's.

The resistor R5 can be set to 0 Ohm by a small wire bridge, the mid's become loader.

All other capacitors have the same values like original. The C1 = 27uf is replaced by 1x22uf and 1x4,7uf, this value is hard to get.

für den C1 habe ich den MKTA250 von Intertechnik in 27µf verwendet

das ist die Beschreibung von Martin "Die_Bogener"

hfinette
Not Ranked
Posts 11
Silver Member
hfinette replied on Fri, Jul 20 2018 11:28 AM

beim Verstärker ist weniger zu machen.

Replace:

C1 = 4,7uf

C2 = 4,7uf

C5 = 2,2uf

C25 = 10uf

IC2= LF353 

Use highquality non magnetic Wima MKS-2-5 instead of the standard eletrolyt capacitors (Wimas are the 4 red blocks...)

Use an audiophil OPA2132 or OPA2134 (better...) OPAMP on IC2.

Stereomensch
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 105
Bronze Member

Der Unterschied zwischen den Versionen ist wohl, dass die späteren Pentas einen Textilhochtöner haben.

Gruss Christian

@ Dillen: Bitte melde Dich mal bei mir. Danke.

pauljrog
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 75
Gold Member
pauljrog replied on Sun, Jul 22 2018 9:32 AM

I love the look of the Pentas, last year I was seriously considering purchasing a pair.....but......in my opinion although they are great speakers they are really old, although you can get them reformed etc, they are still old.

Luckily for me I was in a position I could purchase a pair of Beolab 5's which were a few years old with 3 years b&o warranty.

I must say the lab5's sound soooo very good, just sublime. I've had them for just under 1 year and still everytime I hear them they just blow me away!!!!!

Stereomensch
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 105
Bronze Member

My pair of pentas are in a great condition, without an exception.

Both steel stripes at the back are missing? Any ideas how to solve this problem?

thanks in advance.

Hey Leute,

bei meinen Pentas fehlen hinten diese dünnen Edelstahlstreifen.

Hat einer eine Idee wo man so was herkriegt? Bei B&O bestimmt nicht, oder? Wahrscheinlich ist das auch zu teuer?

Gruss Christian

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 10,476
Founder
Dillen replied on Wed, Jul 25 2018 10:09 PM

Stereomensch:

Die Holländer in diesem Forum diskutieren die gleiche Frage:

Holländer?
I beg you, please...

What is the goal?

The original warm and soft sound?
A modern, shrill and sterile sound? (call it audiophile if you want).
Expensive capacitors that (won't improve sound but) would perhaps make you feel good?

You also emailed me and I gave you my advice regarding the choice of capacitors, the choice of midrange surrounds etc.
What is it you are trying to achieve?

What is the current condition of your speakers?
Do they have apparent problems?
Have they been messed with?
Are they off-spec?

Martin

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts 3,370
Founder
Beobuddy replied on Wed, Jul 25 2018 10:30 PM

Dillen:

Holländer?
I beg you, please.

Ever done a blind test? I did, with several unkown people with a set with 1 penta modified and 1 without.

The difference was heard within seconds.

Why does it make a difference when changing the pre-audioline with mks2’s and an Opa(which is confirmed here on site) and making an investment in better (and therefore more expensive) capacitors on the filters not?

Refreshing the filterboards will give a better result with standard components. Certainly  But adding the extra in better will give you a better experience  

You might give it a try.

Investing in the most expensive components will then not much improve the result above the better versions.

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 10,476
Founder
Dillen replied on Wed, Jul 25 2018 10:38 PM

I use the OPA... modification too.
Not really a question of sound quality as such, but rather a matter of better signal/noise ratio.
Replacing (some) capacitors in the signal path in the preamp stages with foil caps will also improve things a bit, mainly because
B&O chose to use electrolytics rather than tantals (or polyester caps) which are better when it comes to these tasks.
Polyester (and tantals) doesn't produce a burst of noise every time charging and discharging begins. It's not a lot but enough to matter
when followed by a power amplfier with several dozen times of amplification.

Martin

hfinette
Not Ranked
Posts 11
Silver Member
hfinette replied on Sun, Jul 29 2018 11:20 AM

the Mod on the Pentas will give you not a shrill sterile Sound ! it will let you hear clear voices and Instruments and there are a lot of Instruments you can't here with the original Setup but with the modded Pentas.

I have 2 Set's of Pentas here side by side one modded and one original, i invite everyone here to listen to the difference... 

Page 2 of 2 (68 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL