Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

New ATV ordered ... Report back on weekend ?

rated by 0 users
This post has 158 Replies | 4 Followers

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,280
Gold Member
Bugger, it was one of the first apps I found on the ATV4! These games are addictive - which for me as a recovering addict is like a honey trap. I claim they are educational and keep my ageing brain active.

Dave.
Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Badsey, UK
Posts 3,427
Gold Member
I'm in the simulator Friday and Saturday, I shall therefore use that as an excuse. Getting used to it now, and the jet lag has worn off a bit.

Beovision 10, Beolab 2, Beosound 2(old Skool) Beolit 15, Beoplay A2 Active

Paul W
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Tue, Nov 3 2015 5:38 PM

So true Dave. I learnt that very hard way :)

Chris check out the Noon Pacific for chill out music :)

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,218
Founder
Do NOT buy "telescope"

Waste of money

Download of free NASA images is incredibly slow

And they are not cached

I have deleted the App !

BeoNut since '75

mr_anders_son
Top 75 Contributor
sweden
Posts 1,612
Bronze Member
Dave Farr:

Same problem I had in France. Change to the US and it activates Siri. It's great fun! You can still keep your location as Sweden and your language of choice. There are some posts on this issue online if you do a Google search.

Dave.

Where in the menu can I change to US?

BeoVision Eclipse 55"...BeoLab 5 FRONT....BeoLab 4000 as REAR....BV5 HD....Beoplay V1-40....BV10-32....BC6-26....Beosound 9000....Beosound 1 New York edt....Beosound Stage....Beoplay S3....BeoRemote One BT....Beo6....Beo4....Beo4 Cinema....BeoLink 7000....Serene....H9i Rimowa....6 x H6....Form 1....U70...

rob08
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 209
Bronze Member
rob08 replied on Tue, Nov 3 2015 7:07 PM
Amazone:

WOW! I received mine yesterday evening. I can confirm it fits INSIDE the BV11-55 without to many issues. You just have to take off the bottom panel, which is quite easy and only a few minutes work. See iFixit.com for instructions. With the bottom panel installed, it is just a few millimeters too thick. With the bottom removed, it just snaps into place and the BV can be closed without putting any force on the back panel.

I don't consider it an issue the Apple TV now has no bottom panel, maybe it is even better for cooling, I don't know. The PUC works great, and also the BlueTooth Apple remote works fine with the ATV inside the BV.

I haven't tried the ATV itself yet, but so far, I am very happy and still have no cables and boxes lying around except for the TV itself.

BeoVision 11-55, BeoLab 8000, Beo6, AppleTV, BeoPlay A2

Great find! Hopefully it won't damage the Apple TV without the bottom. With this and the Plex app it seems like I will acquire this too soon.

By the way, does the Plex app show subtitles?
Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,280
Gold Member
mr_anders_son:

Where in the menu can I change to US? BeoVision 11-55....BeoLab 14 2.1 as REAR....BeoLab 8002 as FRONT....BL 6000....BV4-42HD....BV4-50HD....BV7-32....BV6-26....BeoRemote One....Beo4....Beo4 Cinema....BeoLink 7000....Serene....BeoSound Ouverture....BeoGram 4500....H8....H6 Bronzed Hazel....Form 1....U70....BeoLit 600...A2 Black Copper Special Edt

I'll have to check later as I can't remember without a prompt from the many menu options.

Dave.
elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,218
Founder
rob08:

By the way, does the Plex app show subtitles?

I believe so Rob but I don't think I have tested / used it

BeoNut since '75

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,280
Gold Member
mr_anders_son:

Where in the menu can I change to US? BeoVision 11-55....BeoLab 14 2.1 as REAR....BeoLab 8002 as FRONT....BL 6000....BV4-42HD....BV4-50HD....BV7-32....BV6-26....BeoRemote One....Beo4....Beo4 Cinema....BeoLink 7000....Serene....BeoSound Ouverture....BeoGram 4500....H8....H6 Bronzed Hazel....Form 1....U70....BeoLit 600...A2 Black Copper Special Edt

Enter the main set-up page. Scroll right down to the 'Language and region' section. Go into the 'Region format' section. Scroll to the US and enter. It then asks if you want to activate Siri. Say yes or activate. The region either changes back or you need to return the region to your wishes. It should then be active.

You may need to go to the Siri section to activate it - I can't remember what I needed to do but I know it worked for me.

Dave.
Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,280
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Wed, Nov 4 2015 10:58 AM
I've just discovered that some changes made in settings are only 'saved' after telling the ATV4 to restart. Other settings are changed without restarting. So, after any changes, I'd suggest restarting it as it only takes a few seconds just to ensure your changes are made.

Dave.
Paul W
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Wed, Nov 4 2015 9:54 PM

Chris, ATV4 has now got a category section on the latest update!

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/11/04/apple-tv-gains-new-categories-section/

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Wed, Nov 4 2015 11:00 PM

Mine will be arriving Friday. So far apart from things Apple could improve or refine (in future SW updates of course), I haven't read anything truly negative about this little box. Excited to join the club! 

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,280
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Wed, Nov 4 2015 11:30 PM
Sal:

Mine will be arriving Friday. So far apart from things Apple could improve or refine (in future SW updates of course), I haven't read anything truly negative about this little box. Excited to join the club!

Just don't drop the Siri remote. It's glass topped a la Apple and it can smash if dropped from two feet up - onto a tiled floor admittedly, but costs around $80 to replace. It's not covered by the AppleCare plan but possibly your home insurance. It's already happened - not to mine fortunately. Ideally it needs a protective cover.

Loads of apps but many only for the US market or country specific.

I think you'll enjoy it. It's quite an upgrade from the ATV3.

Dave.
Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,387
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Thu, Nov 5 2015 12:12 AM
There is an update to the Apple

TV PUC (new version is 03.02a). I'm already in bed and only have the 3rd generation Apple TV in my bedroom so I will try the update tomorrow. Hopefully it adds support for the home button.

Beolab 50, Beolab 20, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9i, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Avant 55, BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 1,781
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Thu, Nov 5 2015 12:18 AM

Like others, I'm finding that the video and audio are remarkably improved! I feel that this Apple TV upgrade really lets the B&O speakers shine.

I fully sympathize with those who complain that the volume buttons cannot be programmed. Sadly, I'm finding that many of the video streaming apps that have commercials are prone to the commercials being horribly loud. In the US there has been an act of Congress mandating that the volume of commercials not exceed the volume of the programming. Apple needs to be enforcing this with its streaming video apps! Perhaps if enough of us report this to the FCC and fines are imposed, things will improve. Until then, expect to need to keep grabbing for the remote during the advertisements. 

Paul W
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Thu, Nov 5 2015 1:39 AM

Apple will no doubt be heavily promoting the new ATV4 in their Apple stores. They used to have ATVs connected to Samsung TVs and recently LG. What a real shame the B&O couldn't have done a real and supplied the V1 on its ceiling threads cable. That would of looked very cool in the stores with the glass stair case and aluminium everywhere!

A tiny community DAB radio station in the UK has become the first radio station to have an app on the ATV4. Apparently the app was created in only 8 hours!

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,280
Gold Member
beojeff:

Like others, I'm finding that the video and audio are remarkably improved! I feel that this Apple TV upgrade really lets the B&O speakers shine.

I fully sympathize with those who complain that the volume buttons cannot be programmed. Sadly, I'm finding that many of the video streaming apps that have commercials are prone to the commercials being horribly loud. In the US there has been an act of Congress mandating that the volume of commercials not exceed the volume of the programming. Apple needs to be enforcing this with its streaming video apps! Perhaps if enough of us report this to the FCC and fines are imposed, things will improve. Until then, expect to need to keep grabbing for the remote during the advertisements.

Under the sound settings there is a control for this high volume problem. I've activated it and it does seem to do something.

Dave.
Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,387
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Thu, Nov 5 2015 6:55 PM
Never mind, it's was the IR diode glued to my Apple TV that had fallen off :). Put it back and it works great. Phew :)

(Seems my first message never posted properly - I had some trouble with the updated PUC, which was mainly glue related as seen above Big Smile)

Beolab 50, Beolab 20, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9i, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Avant 55, BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Sun, Nov 8 2015 3:11 PM
do you think that 4ATV will be Apple's Kickstarter to the home automation hub ?

we tend to forget there is more to design than designing.

rob08
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 209
Bronze Member
rob08 replied on Sun, Nov 8 2015 3:18 PM
Michael:

There is an update to the Apple

TV PUC (new version is 03.02a). I'm already in bed and only have the 3rd generation Apple TV in my bedroom so I will try the update tomorrow. Hopefully it adds support for the home button.

I got the new Apple TV today but when I search for PUCs I only find for the 2nd and 3rd gen Apple TV (mk1 Bv11-55). What is the name of new updated PUC?
badgersurf
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 537
Gold Member
There is not a new PUC you have to use the atv 3rd generation PUC, it works for basic control
rob08
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 209
Bronze Member
rob08 replied on Sun, Nov 8 2015 4:08 PM
badgersurf:

There is not a new PUC you have to use the atv 3rd generation PUC, it works for basic control

Ah, OK thanks. It works fine for basic controls but was interested whether the there was a new PUC for the 4 gen
elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,218
Founder
Mark:

do you think that 4ATV will be Apple's Kickstarter to the home automation hub ? we tend to forget there is more to design than designing.

That was the theory given the role the ATV3 was starting to play ...

But now we have tvOS maybe it's the wrong platform ?

Too much front of house UI going on for back of house automation ?

Maybe we should instead make a grab for "homeOS" ?

Damn some people, including MSFT have beaten us to it Devil

BeoNut since '75

Oasis
Not Ranked
Posts 44
Bronze Member
Oasis replied on Mon, Nov 9 2015 8:29 AM

I am having trouble with the IR transmitter and BeoRemote One. When I hold the IR transmitter over the central location of the AT4 like in the photo, it kinda works but as soon as I stick it down on the AT4, it stops working, and even if it works, it lags or only works intermittently. Does anyone else have this issue? I have a V1, would it be due to software of the PUC needing updating? 

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,280
Gold Member

Oasis:

I am having trouble with the IR transmitter and BeoRemote One. When I hold the IR transmitter over the central location of the AT4 like in the photo, it kinda works but as soon as I stick it down on the AT4, it stops working, and even if it works, it lags or only works intermittently. Does anyone else have this issue? I have a V1, would it be due to software of the PUC needing updating? 

It may be very sensitive to location.  As Apple in their wisdom have not made it obvious where the sensor is (a small indicator patch would have been ideal) you may just need to slightly tweak where it is fixed.  I've tried shining a torch on the front but you cannot see any change in the surface to indicate exactly where the best spot will be.  Frustrating.

Dave.

Marcello
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 201
Bronze Member
Marcello replied on Mon, Nov 9 2015 11:24 AM

Oasis:

I had the same issue. I use some sticky tape so that the transmitter does not adhere completely onto the ATV4. When it does, it does not work well at all.

In any case, my experience is that there is more lag in comparison to the Apple TV 3.

Overall I have to say I'm impressed by the quality of video. Everything looks much smoother than the previous generation.

I am long time Plex user but I have always preferred running Plex on a Mac Mini attached to the BV11-55 because of 24 Hz output, and the flexibility in supporting multiple codecs and containers.

I have to say that even if the ATV does not support 24Hz output, watching 23.976 fps stuff on it is great, even with judder cancellation turned off.
The Plex app is still in its infancy but it looks promising, although I prefer the old user interface used in Plex Home Theater on the Mac. And there are too many bugs at the moment, especially with the handling of subtitles.

Also, for those concerned, the ATV does not support DTS, so DTS tracks will be transcoded on the fly by your server. 

Barry Santini
Top 150 Contributor
New York
Posts 520
Bronze Member
Found this tear down video on you tube:

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Apple+TV+4th+Generation+Teardown/49046

At about 1:58 in, you can see the IR receiver opposite the HDMI RECPTACLE.

B
Mikael
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 157
Bronze Member
Mikael replied on Mon, Nov 9 2015 2:53 PM

I don't know if it has been mentioned yet, but the new ATV4 does not fit into the Beoplay V1. Removing the bottom plate of the ATV4 isn't enough either.

Beoplay V1 with Beo4, Beolab 14.4 and ATV4/Chromecast.

Beoplay A2, A9mki (w/ Chromecast Audio), H2, H3, H8.

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Mon, Nov 9 2015 3:21 PM

Finally received mine and set it up. Apart from the annoyance of having to enter passwords using the horrid on screen text entry (since Apple hasn't / won't update the Remote App), I have to say that it is a really nice little device. Especially now that I don't have a load of "channels/apps" I don't need or want; I can download just the ones I want. 

Also, the fact that Plex is working seamlessly really does make this device worthwhile. I have a Mac Mini (connected to an external HD with media) running 24/7 with an iTunes Library / Twonky Server / Plex Server.

Now, has anyone found a Beo4 / Beoremote One button command to enable the "swipe down" functionality for additional options?
Do you think B&O will update the PUC for any additional commands?
mcm
Not Ranked
London, UK
Posts 34
Bronze Member
mcm replied on Mon, Nov 9 2015 6:27 PM

Arrow Up = Swipe Down

mcm
Not Ranked
London, UK
Posts 34
Bronze Member
mcm replied on Mon, Nov 9 2015 6:28 PM

double post please delete

mcm
Not Ranked
London, UK
Posts 34
Bronze Member
mcm replied on Mon, Nov 9 2015 6:28 PM

double post please delete

Barry Santini
Top 150 Contributor
New York
Posts 520
Bronze Member
Apple's blutooth keyboard makes data entry easy. Get one!
Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Mon, Nov 9 2015 9:26 PM

Barry Santini:

Apple's blutooth keyboard makes data entry easy. Get one!

Can't use one with ATV4.

Barry Santini
Top 150 Contributor
New York
Posts 520
Bronze Member
Sal:

Can't use one with ATV4.

Are you sure? I believe that the Siri remote is blutooth
Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Mon, Nov 9 2015 11:55 PM

Barry Santini:
Sal:

Can't use one with ATV4.

Are you sure? I believe that the Siri remote is blutooth

Although Siri uses BT, BT keyboard use is not supported. Full disclosure: I didn't try it, since I read multiple reviews / articles that it wasn't supported; including this one.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,218
Founder
elephant replied on Tue, Nov 10 2015 2:08 AM
Oasis:

I am having trouble with the IR transmitter and BeoRemote One. When I hold the IR transmitter over the central location of the AT4 like in the photo, it kinda works but as soon as I stick it down on the AT4, it stops working, and even if it works, it lags or only works intermittently

Sorry the photo is obscure and as others noted there is no longer an obvious window into this black box.

I eventually sticky/magic taped my PUC's IR along the centre line near the top edge. I left it a little loose so that perfect alignment was not needed.

I have encountered no obvious lag issues and certainly no hiccoughs in handling.

BeoNut since '75

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 13,424
Bronze Member

The Remote App (iPhone/iPad) now works with the new ATV.

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2015/12/08/apple-tv-4-remote-compatible/

Seem that there is no need for the new remote anymore - a BeoRemote and the app will do the job.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Wed, Dec 9 2015 2:55 AM

Thanks MM, it's about time. Thanks for the update!

Page 4 of 4 (159 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL