Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Bedroom Clock with Beoplay speaker solution. Advice wanted

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 15 Replies | 1 Follower

soundguysydney
Not Ranked
Sydney, Austrlia
9 Posts
Bronze Member
soundguysydney posted on Sat, Oct 10 2015 2:19 PM

Hi Beophiles,

I have a dilemma.

I need new bedside clock/radio/speaker solution. I looked at the Bose Wave thing which is such an ugly old piece of kit that I had to run back to the B and O store to recover.

A "clock/radio" is too old school these days and anything that resembles this is junk. Given my fabulous B and O set up I really need something that works in with that. I have already:

• Beovision Avant 55
  • Beolab 8000 with wireless receivers
  • Beolab 3 with wireless receivers
  • Beosound Moment

My thoughts for the bedroom are;

• Ipad Mini with a clock App (Nightstand or similar)
  • Beomusic App (haven't used it yet)
  • Beoplay A2 or A6 or S3 (leaning towards A6 but love the S3)

The question is, which is the best combination that behaves as a clock radio that wakes me up to my choice of music or radio station but also plays well with the rest of the system? I don't have any experience yet with the Beomusic App so I don't even know if it has a sleep function. I also like to fall asleep to music/internet radio etc.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

All Replies

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
1,346 Posts
Bronze Member
TWG replied on Sat, Oct 10 2015 7:02 PM
Hi,

what about the Beotime clock on your night desk? than you can use e.g B&O speakers linked to your mastersystem with a Beolink active or use a standalone system of your choice which supports infrared control that can be activated and controlled by the Beotime.

Looks beautiful on a night desk and to snooze you simply tap the whole thing.
dasun
Top 500 Contributor
82 Posts
Bronze Member
dasun replied on Sun, Oct 11 2015 11:02 AM

To my knowledge, the Beomusic App does not support an alarm or sleep function - at least that's what my dealer told me last week. Seems more difficult than it should be, but I use a Sonos Connect connected to the Transmitter of my wireless Beolab 20 and use the Sonos App to wake me up. Sonos is very easy to use and that way I also have several other Sonos speakers play music at the same time (e.g. bathroom, floor, bedroom etc).

I believe there should be a much simpler solution from B&O though, I haven't found one yet.

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,355 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Not Verified) Jeff replied on Sun, Oct 11 2015 5:00 PM
Suggested by Barry Santini

TWG:
Hi,

what about the Beotime clock on your night desk? than you can use e.g B&O speakers linked to your mastersystem with a Beolink active or use a standalone system of your choice which supports infrared control that can be activated and controlled by the Beotime.

Looks beautiful on a night desk and to snooze you simply tap the whole thing.

I've tried this but have been unsuccessful. My Beotime is on the nightstand, and my bedroom Beolab 2000 is across the room, on the other side of the bed on a dresser, facing the bed. There's no other good place to put it and string the wires. My Beotime is incapable of controlling it due to the weak IR transmitter on the Beotime...it's no remotely as powerful as say a Beo4. I've tried different positions with the Beotime and it has to be pretty close to the Beolab 2000 to work at all. So, sadly, it doesn't work for me. But as has been stated, there's not really a good wake up alarm option. I could set it on my BS9000 but I usually don't have to wake up at either the same time or even at a certain time at all so it'd be frustrating to do it that way. The Beotime is such a wonderful product otherwise, such wonderful tactile response and feel, so easy to use, but frustrating in not being able to control anything.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
1,346 Posts
Bronze Member
TWG replied on Sun, Oct 11 2015 5:45 PM

Jeff, that's sad to read... but your Beotime still chimes when the alarm goes off, doesn't it?

I'm using the Beotime on the nightstand (that seems to be the right word, and not my "night desk") ;-) with a Beolab 3500 and it works fine.
But the Beolab 3500 is mounted high enough on wall that I nearly have to stretch my arm to reach it (best child protection).

Barry Santini
Top 150 Contributor
New York
454 Posts
Bronze Member
Try fresh batteries
Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,355 Posts
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Sun, Oct 11 2015 6:33 PM

Still chimes perfectly, and have tried it with fresh batteries. So, it's a puzzler, the only thing I can think of is limited IR range. Which is a bummer though, such a beautiful, functional piece.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

soundguysydney
Not Ranked
Sydney, Austrlia
9 Posts
Bronze Member

Thank you

This is the option I've chosen.

At least until theres a B&O option

dasun
Top 500 Contributor
82 Posts
Bronze Member
dasun replied on Tue, Oct 13 2015 9:10 PM

Just a short off-topic question: I have been reading several B&O manuals for the Beovision 11, the Beolab v1, the Beosystem 4 and all kinds of information regarding the B&O multiroom app, and I cant find any information on a wake-up function. Is it true, that there is no wake-up function at all with Bang & Olufsen? No automatically starting music in the morning, seriously?

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
11,837 Posts
Bronze Member

@dasun

There is none with the mentioned products.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
3,208 Posts
Bronze Member

I use this as there was no suitable B&O solution

IMHO this product is simple and beautiful http://www.sony.com.au/electronics/clock-radios/xdr-c1dbp 

It wakes me up on the classical station as its the only time i listen to classical, i get up, go to the back room and turn on the Avant cos i'm head there anyway

Great to see you're using your 8000 with the receiver 1, and also with your Lab 3's - that's what i'm using.

The original "BeoMusic" app i can't remember what it was called cost around $15 and it had a clock and alarm function.. i'll look up in my app history 

soundguysydney
Not Ranked
Sydney, Austrlia
9 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks for the solution. 

I decided to go with;

Sonos Play 1

Flip digital clock app

Existing Ipad Mini

Twelve South Hi Rise Stand (Charging)

Whilst this doesn't play with the B and O its a simple and elegant solution that I can live with until B and O get their app to behave like a clock radio.

Fl_ip
Top 500 Contributor
155 Posts
Bronze Member
Fl_ip replied on Mon, Oct 19 2015 9:24 PM
Why not use a BeoLab 3500?
soundguysydney
Not Ranked
Sydney, Austrlia
9 Posts
Bronze Member

I considered this and my B and O guy wasn't very enthusiastic given that it needed a BeoLink Wireless 1 bolted on. 

Obviously I would need both of these as second hand options. 

Has anyone had any experience with a 3500 playing nice with Wireless?

soundguysydney
Not Ranked
Sydney, Austrlia
9 Posts
Bronze Member

I considered this and my B and O guy wasn't very enthusiastic given that it needed a BeoLink Wireless 1 bolted on. 

Obviously I would need both of these as second hand options. 

Has anyone had any experience with a 3500 playing nice with Wireless?

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL