rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 38 Replies | 2 Followers

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
11,593 Posts
Bronze Member
Puncher posted on Wed, Sep 30 2015 7:39 AM

Surprised not to see it mentioned here - $35 audio wifi streamer supporting Spotify, Deezer, Pandora among many, supposedly able to stream 24Bit FLAC, complete with a digital output for those that want one. Multiroom support by Christmas.

Discuss.

Ban boring signatures!

All Replies

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
5,337 Posts
Silver Member

I have just purchased a Chromecast Audio puck to replace a defunct mobile phone that I was using to feed web Radio into a BC2 Masterlink system.

But..... Google have announced they have  stopped making them (and the price has risen from EoL £16 at Argos back to £27- £30). Google's own online store has sold out.

The next question will be just how long will Google support the software that enables you to cast from your phone or tablet? These Chromecast pucks were ideal for updating old systems, but, presumably, Google have seen a tailing off in sales.

Graham

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
11,593 Posts
Bronze Member

vikinger:

I have just purchased a Chromecast Audio puck to replace a defunct mobile phone that I was using to feed web Radio into a BC2 Masterlink system.

But..... Google have announced they have  stopped making them (and the price has risen from EoL £16 at Argos back to £27- £30). Google's own online store has sold out.

The next question will be just how long will Google support the software that enables you to cast from your phone or tablet? These Chromecast pucks were ideal for updating old systems, but, presumably, Google have seen a tailing off in sales.

Graham

No complaints, I've certainly had my 25 pounds worth from mine and continue to enjoy it most every day, even better with a google assistant device, "hey Google play Eno on hifi" ... no faffing about with phones or apps etc. Just music when and where you want it.

Ban boring signatures!

DMacri
Top 100 Contributor
United States
814 Posts
Gold Member
DMacri replied on Tue, Jan 22 2019 9:28 PM
Yeah, I just bought a bunch of them when went on sale. No guessing how long they will be fully supported, but they work well now. I paid $15 USD each. Great value.

Dom

2x BeoSystem 3, BeoSystem 5000, BeoSystem 6500, 2x BeoMaster 7000, 2 pair of BeoLab Penta mk2, AV 7000, Beolab 4000, BeoSound 4000, Playmaker, BeoLab 2500, S-45, S-45.2, RL-140, CX-50, C-75, 3x CX-100, 3x MCL2 link rooms, 3x Beolab 2000, M3, P2, Earset, A8 earphones, A3, 2x 4001 relay, H3, H3 ANC, H6, and ambio 

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
1,881 Posts
Bronze Member
DMacri:

Yeah, I just bought a bunch of them when went on sale. No guessing how long they will be fully supported, but they work well now. I paid $15 USD each. Great value. Dom

2x BeoSystem 3, BeoSystem 5000, BeoSystem 6500, 2x BeoMaster 7000, 2 pair of BeoLab Penta mk2, AV 7000, Beolab 4000, BeoSound 4000, Playmaker, BeoLab 2500, S-45, S-45.2, RL-140, CX-50, C-75, 3x CX-100, 3x MCL2 link rooms, 3x Beolab 2000, A8 earphones, A3, 2x 4001 relay, H3, H3 ANC, H6, and ambio

I went to buy 20 of the google site for 15€, but they sold out already. Sad

A great product I will miss Smile
Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
2,214 Posts
Gold Member
Duels replied on Wed, Jan 23 2019 10:20 AM
I just added one to my father’ Beosound 4 - it works a treat. I’m surprised they are being discontinued, I would have thought the market for them was pretty big for upgrading older kit.

I need to try and get one quickly for my beosound 8.
beolion
Top 200 Contributor
357 Posts
Silver Member
I am using mine in my BS5 connected with the Behringer USB adapter and operated via a.aux.

It is a great feature to just say to google “play the greatest showman album on bm5”.

I am pretty happy with the device.

Its a nice album and movie by the way ;-)
Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
2,214 Posts
Gold Member
Duels replied on Wed, Jan 23 2019 8:59 PM
beolion:

I am using mine in my BS5 connected with the Behringer USB adapter and operated via a.aux.

It is a great feature to just say to google “play the greatest showman album on bm5”.

I am pretty happy with the device.

Its a nice album and movie by the way ;-)

I had one with a BS5 until recently. It work well.
vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
5,337 Posts
Silver Member
vikinger replied on Thu, Jan 31 2019 11:27 AM

You can get Radio Paradise to stream direct to Chromecast..... but the casting option only appears if you sign up to RP as a beta tester!

This raises the question.... if Chromecast Audio is no longer on sale, how long will Google offer software support for the device, and more importantly, how long will streaming services add a 'Casting' option?

Graham 

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
1,881 Posts
Bronze Member
vikinger:

This raises the question.... if Chromecast Audio is no longer on sale, how long will Google offer software support for the device, and more importantly, how long will streaming services add a 'Casting' option?

Graham

They are discontinuing the product, not the service. They said that speakers nowadays has the casting built-in, so no need for the product.

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
5,337 Posts
Silver Member

leosgonewild:
vikinger:

Graham

They are discontinuing the product, not the service. They said that speakers nowadays has the casting built-in, so no need for the product.

So the service continues, but in future, unless you already have Chromecast Audio, you will need Google speakers? Sounds like good and bad news.

Graham

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
1,881 Posts
Bronze Member
They are in a difficult position. The CCA is great for recycling/up cycling speakers. But I the other hand it keeps people from buying new stuff.

For me it was the best tech I have seen: ridiculous price, massive implementation possibilities, and great sound.

It was made my wireless Pentas possible Lets have a Party !!!
Ulrike
Top 500 Contributor
Germany
128 Posts
Bronze Member
Ulrike replied on Thu, Jan 31 2019 2:41 PM

vikinger:

So the service continues, but in future, unless you already have Chromecast Audio, you will need Google speakers? Sounds like good and bad news.

Graham

No, there is no need for Google speakers. Just for Chromecast-built-in speakers like B&O, or receivers from another brand.

Like my Beosound 2, because of Chromecast-built-in also working as a new ROON endpoint since last year, which is nice.

https://blog.roonlabs.com/chromecast-support-in-roon

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
5,337 Posts
Silver Member
vikinger replied on Thu, Jan 31 2019 10:24 PM

Ulrike:

vikinger:

Graham

No, there is no need for Google speakers. Just for Chromecast-built-in speakers like B&O, or receivers from another brand.

Like my Beosound 2, because of Chromecast-built-in also working as a new ROON endpoint since last year, which is nice.

https://blog.roonlabs.com/chromecast-support-in-roon

Thanks.... I'm getting there! I just hadn't realised (until a web search) just how many products already had Chromecast built in. 

Graham

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
1,395 Posts
Gold Member
TWG replied on Fri, Feb 1 2019 5:47 AM

Sad that the Chromecast Audio is gone... not everybody wants to buy new Mono-Speakers just for streaming capabilities. ;)

The Chromecast Audio dongle is simply great to add streaming to different hifi systems / active speakers etc. with ease!

But ok, Google and Sustainability are two completely different worlds.

DMacri
Top 100 Contributor
United States
814 Posts
Gold Member
DMacri replied on Mon, Mar 11 2019 11:42 PM
So I hooked up one of these $15USD CCA units to an open input on my BeoSystem 3 and programmed it to the Sat selection. I pointed my Google home mini to it and called it “Bang and Olufsen”.

Now I can press the Sat button on my Beo4 or Beolink 1000 remotes from my main room or any MCL2 link rooms to start the input and ask Google Assistant to “play Dire Straits on Bang and Olufsen” and the assistant responds “playing Dire Straits from Spotify on Bang and Olufsen”. Whole house music by voice command! I guess I’m just easily amused by this new technology, but I find this amazing.Stick out tongue

Then I configured the Good Morning routine to tell me the weather forecast, tell me about my commute, connect to “Bang and Olufsen” and play my favorite radio station’s webcast. Good morning, Google. Too much fun.Big Smile

Dom

2x BeoSystem 3, BeoSystem 5000, BeoSystem 6500, 2x BeoMaster 7000, 2 pair of BeoLab Penta mk2, AV 7000, Beolab 4000, BeoSound 4000, Playmaker, BeoLab 2500, S-45, S-45.2, RL-140, CX-50, C-75, 3x CX-100, 3x MCL2 link rooms, 3x Beolab 2000, M3, P2, Earset, A8 earphones, A3, 2x 4001 relay, H3, H3 ANC, H6, and ambio 

Page 2 of 3 (39 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL