Daniel
Top 75 Contributor
Svinarp, Sweden
Posts 1,616
Bronze Member
Daniel replied on Tue, Oct 6 2015 8:46 PM

Chris Townsend:
Daniel:

I looked around on the Internet and what I could see, the hifi nerds where amazed by the guide and presented data. Well done B&O!

Which sites out of interest?

https://www.reddit.com/r/audiophile/comments/3nov7d/beolab_90_bos_new_speaker_with_directivity_and/

HC
Not Ranked
Oslo, Norway
Posts 76
Bronze Member
HC replied on Tue, Oct 6 2015 8:50 PM

I needed a moment to consider my first impressions of the design, but to my great surprise my wife passed by, noticed the pictures and almost shouted out how much she loved the look - right before her friend came along and said it was the coolest speakers she had ever seen..

Daniel
Top 75 Contributor
Svinarp, Sweden
Posts 1,616
Bronze Member
Daniel replied on Tue, Oct 6 2015 8:52 PM

The link looks cut in half in iPhone 6 so I post it again divided in two:

https://www.reddit.com/r/audiophile/comments/3nov7d/

beolab_90_bos_new_speaker_with_directivity_and/

"...3nov7d/" shall be followed directly by "beolab_90...."

Daniel
Top 75 Contributor
Svinarp, Sweden
Posts 1,616
Bronze Member
Daniel replied on Tue, Oct 6 2015 8:55 PM

Daniel:

https://www.reddit.com/r/audiophile/comments/3nov7d/

beolab_90_bos_new_speaker_with_directivity_and/

"...3nov7d/" shall be followed directly by "beolab_90...."

Love this comment:

"That's actually cheaper than I was expecting."

Peter the Biker
Top 100 Contributor
Eastwestfalia
Posts 934
Gold Member

Daniel:

That's the link in one single line ...

https://www.reddit.com/r/audiophile/comments/3nov7d/beolab_90_bos_new_speaker_with_directivity_and/%22...3nov7d

Peter the biker

StUrrock
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 995
Bronze Member
SHEFFIELD:

They look stunning in the flesh - believe me, and they sound okay too 😀

Can I come to your showroom to hear/listen to them?
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,202
Bronze Member

The guy(s) from the german site ModernHiFi had the chance to listen to the BL90's:

http://www.modernhifi.de/bang-olufsen-beolab-90-test/

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,410
Bronze Member
vikinger replied on Tue, Oct 6 2015 10:39 PM

Millemissen:

The guy(s) from the german site ModernHiFi had the chance to listen to the BL90's:

MM

A good review, and the price......... 'A bargain'!

Graham

BeoBoy68
Top 75 Contributor
Alsace 🇨🇵
Posts 1,246
Bronze Member
BeoBoy68 replied on Tue, Oct 6 2015 10:43 PM
Millemissen:

Diese Lautsprecher sind überraschend.

Es klingt wunderbar !

Danke Big SmileYes - thumbs up

badgersurf
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 538
Gold Member

If this is what they come up with for the 90th celebrations, can not wait to see what they will do for the 100th celebration!

kai
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 329
Bronze Member
kai replied on Tue, Oct 6 2015 11:13 PM

These speakers specs are great but I'm afraid for me i do not like the look of them just my thoughts

Not Ranked
Posts 69
Bronze Member

in case you buy them......Do NOT REMOVE THE GRILLS......it  looks like some kind of ugly attack fish

seethroughyou
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 894
Bronze Member
The real challenge will be if they can build a smaller version, thereby demonstrating the trickle down of this technology to more affordable speakers that are smaller / living room friendly.

Present: BL90, Beosound Moment, Beosound Core, BL6000, Beogram CD7000, Beogram 7000, BS Essence Remote.

Past: BL1, BL2, BL8000, BS9000, BL5, Beocenter 2, Beosound 5, BV5, BV4-50, BV4-65, Beosystem 3, BL3, DVD1, Beoremote 4.

butch1
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 384
Bronze Member
butch1 replied on Wed, Oct 7 2015 7:35 AM
Wilderwein
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 112
Gold Member
Wilderwein replied on 10-06-2015 7:49 PM 

Butch1 you cant compare exakt with this active room compensation. This should be able to reduce echoes for example. Exakt is good but this is a new level. 

Its not just exalt I meant space optimisation plus which adjusts the room, drivers etc read about it.

paolomariano
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Bronze Member
seethroughyou:

The real challenge - is can they do a smaller version and thereby demonstrate how they can trickle the technology down to more affordable speakers that are smaller and more living room friendly.

This is what they declared officially.

The technologies developed for bl90 will be used in the smaller speakers ad well in the future, as always... Smile
Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,281
Gold Member
Yes, Tue already said that. I know there is a mass of stuff about these at the moment but if you read through it, the info is there.

Dave.
MGBGTV8
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Bronze Member
MGBGTV8 replied on Wed, Oct 7 2015 8:36 AM

Scanspeak illuminators that must confirm them as the very best which is thier reputation and wonder why the 5 never had them

soundproof
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 140
Bronze Member

11048437:

in case you buy them......Do NOT REMOVE THE GRILLS......it  looks like some kind of ugly attack fish

Well, I'm guessing you'll be sitting in front of the speakers. That's the rear view - and again, form is dictated by function.

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,597
Gold Member
TWG replied on Wed, Oct 7 2015 9:17 AM

From the technological point of view:        F A N T A S T I C !

Congratulations to Geoff Martin and the whole development team in Denmark!

I hope this time Bang & Olufsen will be taken serious by the Hifi / Highend world, too!

The design... I have to see it live... on the pictures it doesn't look good to me - which is ok if the sound compensates (and I'll make a strong guess that it does!) :-)

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,202
Bronze Member

paolomariano:

The technologies developed for bl90 will be used in the smaller speakers ad well in the future, as always... Smile

I guess there will be several way to use these new technologies in a B&O speaker setup - especially with the 'room compensation' part.

Isn't it obvious to let the speakers in a multichannel setup help each other to compensate for problems in a room - just like the side/rear/back-speakers of the BL90 does?

MM

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,410
Bronze Member
vikinger replied on Wed, Oct 7 2015 10:20 AM

One thing that the Beolab 90 does is highlight the true design elegance of the the inferior sounding Beolabs that have gone before.

If only there was a way to get all this technology to perform in an elegant column. As Geoff has stated in one of his blogs, this design has been engineering led, rather than the previous approach of the designers choosing a form and then asking the engineers and technicians to get the best performance out of it.

Graham

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Badsey, UK
Posts 3,494
Bronze Member
Now the challenge will be to engineer both in tandem, with neither taking priority. The 90 is a a tour de force for B&O, and hopefully the retailers will benefit from it. No doubt over the next few years we will see a trickle down of the tech to smaller 9 sized speakers. HopefullyYes - thumbs upYes - thumbs upYes - thumbs upYes - thumbs up

Beovision 11-55, Beolab 2, Beolab 6000, Beolit 15, Beoplay A2 Active

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,202
Bronze Member

paolomariano:

Or how about this:

8.6 Digital Power Link

Technology  Audio Video Bridge (AVB)

Sampling Rate  192 kHz (fixed)

Bit depth  24

Features  Includes proprietary B&O data channels for inter-loudspeaker communication

(From the  BL90 guide - page 40)

The AVB technology is highly interesting.

If you want to know more, there is a lot to read, if you google AVB/Audio Video Bridge - and some videos too.

Here is simething for a start:

Would be nice to read about why B&O choose this technology for a next-gen PL (as I would call it) - and how they use/intend to use it.

MM

soundproof
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 140
Bronze Member

The form of the BL5s was dictated by the sound reproduction goals and requirements, from top to bottom.

Traditional "monkey coffin" loudspeakers have made us expect that form/function when judging new speakers. But throughout the years, many have experimented with alternative dispersion patterns and driver placements. Sonab, a Swedish company, had quite a lot of success with their, precisely because the sound appeared truer than with traditional designs.

What R&D at B&O have done now, is to take the concept to its absolute utmost, given our ability now to measure and model in a lot more advanced way than before, while DSP and on-board dedicated amplifiers also provide leeway unknown before the advent of BL5s (and other dsp-driven designs outside B&O).

The shape and driver configuration follows from the goals. So it's basically a question of whether one is willing to be uncompromising in achieving the reproduction aimed for, or whether you want to struggle with the limitations of the more acceptable monkey coffin design that we judge speakers through when faced with new configurations.

Sonab speaker: image.php?mode=medium&image id=729

Wouter
Top 500 Contributor
Netherlands
Posts 302
Bronze Member
Wouter replied on Wed, Oct 7 2015 11:22 AM

What a speaker!

It even seems they satisfied the critical people of beoworld.

The question that arises is whether they can supply enough! Big Smile

Wouter

Chris
Top 75 Contributor
Ostend-BE
Posts 1,169
Bronze Member
Chris replied on Wed, Oct 7 2015 11:34 AM

Wouter:

What a speaker!

It even seems they satisfied the critical people of beoworld.

The question that arises is whether they can supply enough! Big Smile

It has been so beautifully presented and they juggle with technical terms, almost praising this speaker in to heaven. I want to hear this speaker before I judge it. Remember my quote beneath...

Not many dealers will take this speaker in their showroom. At least not in my region. I was better born in the Emirates, at this price level...

"Believe nothing you read and only half of what you see, let your ears tell you the truth."

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
Posts 2,033
Gold Member

Hi everyone,

I've put together a quick guide to connecting Beolab 90s for those Beoworlders who are looking to upgrade their existing speakers, please take a look here:-

http://www.soundsheavenly.com/faq/cabling-beolab-90-speakers/

The guide is a "work in progress", so I will be adding more connection options shortly.  If anyone has specific products that they would like to use with Beolab 90, please let me know and I will be happy to add these to the guide.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Founder of Sounds Heavenly Cables and Brand Ambassador for Bang & Olufsen

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,281
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Wed, Oct 7 2015 12:23 PM

Blimey Steve, you're quick off the mark!  Interesting to see how many customers you get for these.

Dave.

AdamS
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 343
Gold Member
AdamS replied on Wed, Oct 7 2015 12:58 PM

Well, I have to say it was worth the wait - I'm very impressed and cannot wait the see and hear them in the flesh.

I'm even more impressed that B&O have seen fit to add RCA and XLR input connections to increase their appeal beyond all B&O systems - thank you Struer!

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,724
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Wed, Oct 7 2015 2:05 PM

Bravo B&O for being brave enough to spend real time and real money developing this technical tour de force, especially given the very difficult economic climate experienced during the development process. It is a real pleasure seeing someone develop something significant to be a state of the art, genuine step forward in performance (rather than the typical tech fashion accessories, to be waved in view this week and discarded in the next, we see week on week in the "technology" press)!  Hopefully you will be rewarded with glowing reviews and critical acclaim for your efforts.

(I also hope that this statement speaker system isn't besmirched by software UI or format compatibility issues etc. - it would be a crying shame)!

Ban boring signatures!

djilon
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Bronze Member
djilon replied on Wed, Oct 7 2015 2:36 PM

Wait until you hear them :) I had....

SHEFFIELD
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 262
Bronze Member

No, although my seriously interested customers are invited to the official event in London on 17th November.

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Wed, Oct 7 2015 3:26 PM

Beolab 90 trickle down...

Beolab 5, introduced in 2003 was B&O's first speaker with ALT, at the time it was their flagship speaker. A year later, in 2004, Beolab 3 was introduced... then, 2007: Beolab 9; 2008: Beolab 10; 2012: Beolab 12; 2013: Beolab 18; and just last year Boelab 20. 

Do fellow Beoworlders think that the trickle down from the technologies used in this speaker will be implemented in a more affordable speaker in as quickly as they were between the Beolab 5 to the Beolab 3? 

Does the introduction of this speaker maybe cannibalize the current market for shoppers of B&O speakers, in that they'll not purchase those in the current range and instead wait for a more affordable, smaller option?

And finally, technically speaking, with the number of drivers, software necessary, amolifiers, etc. CAN B&O create a more affordable option or do the technical demands of the speaker like this, with the features it has, even enable a smaller, more affordable option in the future?

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,202
Bronze Member

Hi Sal,

the BL3 was not a small BL5 - but some of the 'new things', that were in the BL5, were used for the BL3 (and for the others mentioned).

Of course there can't be a smaller BL90, but (my guess, my expctation) is, that we will see some of the 'new things' from the BL90 concept in future speakers (and in the audio engine of BV's and BS's).

Wait to buy one of the current speakers, however makes no sense, IMO. We don't know anything yet about, what may come (or when) - we're just guessing!

* My personal opinion - based on gut feeling - is, that we soon will see something....

But I haven't the slightest idea what.

The guys in Struer (in all departments) are eager to show to the world, what B&O can - and they need to to secure the future of the company.

MM

Evan
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,608
Bronze Member
Evan replied on Wed, Oct 7 2015 4:49 PM

AdamS:

I'm even more impressed that B&O have seen fit to add RCA and XLR input connections to increase their appeal beyond all B&O systems - thank you Struer!

My thoughts exactly.

The XLR enables integration with some serious preamplifiers now.. stuff like the Lexicon MC-12B comes to mind.

However, I'm sure the approach to signal paths between the preamp and the BL90 is less significant considering this will have a analog to digital converter right on the other side of those jacks much like the BL5.

Beo4 'til I die!

politician
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 170
Bronze Member

Can anyone who has heard the Beolab 90s confirm how far they outclass the Beolab 5s when listening in the stereo hotspot? The Lab 90s' ability to disperse sound round a room doesn't interest me in the slightest, as my sitting room is set up around my audiovisual system, but does it significantly outclass the Lab 5 as a conventional speaker?

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,202
Bronze Member

I would not think of connecting a pre-amp like the Lexicon to the BL90.

Why should I need the processing etc of the Lexicon, when I have the BL90?

however, there are lots of media players nowadays, that have balanced analog output (XLR).

Also a good PC-soundcard may have XLR's....or how about the OPPO 105!

MM

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,202
Bronze Member

politician:

Can anyone who has heard the Beolab 90s confirm how far they outclass the Beolab 5s when listening in the stereo hotspot? The Lab 90s' ability to disperse sound round a room doesn't interest me in the slightest, as my sitting room is set up around my audiovisual system, but does it significantly outclass the Lab 5 as a conventional speaker?

Not having heard the BL90's, nor compared it with the BL5's as your questtion was, all I can say is, that the BL5 is not a convensional speaker.

One of the most unconventional things about a BL5 is the use of the acoustic lenses.

One might think of the BL5 as a speaker with a 'fixed beam solution' and the BL90's with a 'variable/manageable beam solution'.

The BL 5 was created for good listening with a broader hotspot (when you are not sitting perfectly in front of them), not that much for a narrow hotspot.

MM

Lars Ladingkaer
Not Ranked
Denmark
Posts 49
Bronze Member

Hi All

I attended the BeoLab 90 press session at Bang & Olufsen yesterday.

Here's some of my thoughts (in Danish) and several behind-the-scenes videos and photos.

The Beauty or The Beast? Behind the scenes of the B&O BeoLab 90

Danish not your best? Try: Google translate

/Lars

Btw: The BeoLab 90 do look a bit like Darth Vader on that monitor in the production area Smile

Editor in Chief, recordere.dk
Danish online magazine for consumer electronics

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,202
Bronze Member

By the way - it is not 'hotspot', but 'sweet spot' ;-(

MM

Page 6 of 12 (454 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL