rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 3 Replies | 1 Follower

ThomasBrorsen
Not Ranked
6 Posts
Bronze Member
ThomasBrorsen posted on Sat, Sep 26 2015 10:15 AM

Dear all,

I have a setup with a pair of Beolab 18 and a BeoSound Essence connected by Powerlink (RJ45).

I have noticed that there is quite a lot of background noise from this setup. I have tested the Beolab 18 speakers with a SPDIF connection instead, this makes them sound much better.

I suspect that the reason for the noise is that the Powerlink cables are run close to the power cables for the speakers and that the shielding on the Bang & Olufsen Powerlink cables therefore is insufficient. To test this I have ordered a high quality Cat7 patch cable (http://www.jenving.com/products/view/cat-7-stp-patch-1001908415).

Do any of you have experience with replacing the stock Bang & Olufsen Powerlink cables with shielded ones? Can you recommend any particular brand etc? I understand that the cables should be Cat7, I assume that the higher grade the lesser noise?

On another note. Do any of you know why Bang & Olufsen chose not to have SPDIF out on the Essence or have made a digital version of the Powerlink cable (coaxial style)? Cost cutting?

I look forward to hearing back from you.

All Replies

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
2,265 Posts
Bronze Member
Which mk of Powerlink cables do you have? They should be mkIII I think.

Dave.
ThomasBrorsen
Not Ranked
6 Posts
Bronze Member

Hey Dave,

It's the new RJ45 (ethernet) style cables. As far as I know they only come in one mk from Bang & Olufsen.

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
2,265 Posts
Bronze Member
Ah, OK. I hadn't realised that as I don't have those speakers (yet). As they are the official cables, it does sound like outside interference then. Hope you can fix it as audible buzz/hum is not nice.

Dave.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL