B&O Avant Network Port Only 100Mb/s :(

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

ari
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 144
Bronze Member
ari Posted: Thu, Sep 24 2015 12:02 PM

So after some video stutters when streaming a video file over the network connected to my NAS, I was disappointed to see my Avant 85" only connects at 100Mb/s over Network Cable.

Thinking it's a problem with my network connection/cable, I looked up the specs for the Avant and it's only 100Mbit max...

Ethernet

1 x Ethernet RJ45 10/100 Mbit/s

I guess I just expected it to be gigabit.. But then again it doesn't support HEVC either.

So you could even get a faster network speed with wireless. Bleh.

rob08
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 209
Bronze Member
rob08 replied on Thu, Sep 24 2015 12:19 PM
I think it's a shame it's not gigabit but 100MB/s should have problem films as 4K

Is around 15-25 and 1080p is lower
Søren Hammer
Top 100 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 953
Bronze Member

100 megabit/s is more than adequate for most streaming purposes - it's equivalent to 12,5 MB/s or 45 GB an hour; just about double the needed bandwidth for even 4K files. A gigabit port wouldn't make any difference in that aspect.

Vinyl records, cassettes, open reel, valve amplifiers and film photography.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 12,268
Bronze Member

I've newer heard of a video file, that (for home-use) would need gigabit speed for streaming.

It is probably your NAS (i.e the processor of the NAS), that stutters.

Gigabit ethernet is only important, when you have to transfer lots of files between two devices in a short time.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,114
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Thu, Sep 24 2015 1:41 PM

The problem is not the port, 100 MBit is sufficient for the media files it can play. It is rather a software or hardware limitation on the Avant. I have also noticed stuttering video a lot on the built in player. Some have had success with demuxing files but I have not been trying that myself. 

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,316
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Thu, Sep 24 2015 2:26 PM
I have noticed that even if fed with e.g a feed with 50 or 60 fps the internal player skips frames (probably because of capacity constraints). Experienced this on latest versions of Samsung TVs here at work. Disappointing.

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Library: A6, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5 Office: Beocom 2 Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay P2

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,337
Bronze Member
I decided against the NAS solution for my avant as it always has to be powered on (I'm a tight ass) and it just has a copy of all my stuff from my PC and now I just have all my bluray rips on a USB drive and plug that into my avant. It's quick and easy and just as easy to put on the usb drive as it is a NAS.

I thought trying to stream a movie like one of my rips might be laggy on any TV.

I would go back down the NAS route if I was wanting to connect multiple TVs and sources in the house.

Even though the text book says that 100 is double what you need real life is that it's not working for you. So it might not be a bandwidth but just like the other Michael said.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 12,268
Bronze Member

'...and now I just have all my bluray rips on a USB drive and plug that into my avant.' 

That must be a GIANT usb-drive 😎

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,337
Bronze Member

lol, it's not a thumb drive - it's jut a normal drive :-)  

It sits very neatly on the little shelf gap at the back of the avant :-)

Best of all its quick and no lags. 

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL