rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 123 Replies | 1 Follower

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
1,197 Posts
Bronze Member
Sal posted on Mon, Sep 14 2015 1:55 AM

Can folks with some experience with the following devices please let me know if the following behaviors are possible based on what my use case may likely be.

I’m planning on having the Moment (or) Essence in a dedicated music listening area directly connected to a set of Beolab speakers.

I have an always on Mac mini with an iTunes Library, and twonky server running. I also have a NAS with Plex running, but that NAS currently doesn’t have much music on it. I can confirm that the Beovision 11 can “see” both servers in HOMEMEDIA, both Plex and Twonky, and I can choose from media between the two.

1. Can the Moment or Essence be connected to two servers at once (ie. Twonky on the Mac Mini and Plex on the NAS. I don’t need either device to consolidate the media or anything like that, but it would be nice if they could.

2. I have no experience with the Beomusic app, how does it access media located on servers on the same network, or does it?

3. If I select some media from the Beomusic app, and click Play, is it streaming from the phone to the Moment or Essence via what -- WiFi or Bluetooth? How does that work?

4. Let’s say I have a Moment or Essence in a different room, but on the same network, ie. they’re netlinked to the Beovision 11 which has a pair of speakers connected to it. What do I need to do in order to listen to music from the speakers connected to the Beovision 11, and exactly what, if anything will show on the Beovision 11 screen?

5. If I’m playing a piece of music selected on the screen of the Moment’s tablet, and I open the Beomusic App, will I see the piece of music playing on the Moment? With the album artwork? Is it basically like a two-way remote?

6. Let’s say I have both an essence and a Moment, how would I control both from the same remote, that is, what function key / button would I require for the Essence, which for the Moment? Or would one keypress operate both?

Normal 0 false false false EN-US JA X-NONE

That’s all for now. Thanks for all your help!

All Replies

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
3,702 Posts
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Mon, Oct 26 2015 4:02 PM
Thanks! And sorry for my confusion and uncertainty moving into the net link world.
mjmedlo
Top 100 Contributor
921 Posts
Bronze Member
mjmedlo replied on Mon, Oct 26 2015 10:01 PM
You are talking about mk2 essence correct?

The first gen will not do what you want.
Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
3,702 Posts
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Mon, Oct 26 2015 11:41 PM
Yes, mk2.
mjmedlo
Top 100 Contributor
921 Posts
Bronze Member
Razlaw:

Yes, mk2.

Then yes

You'll get what you're after!
Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
3,702 Posts
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Tue, Oct 27 2015 9:28 PM

Please forgive yet another question, with the Essence, using the Beomusic App, what functions for Spotify are available?  I assume playlists? Searching also?

mjmedlo
Top 100 Contributor
921 Posts
Bronze Member
Actually in Spotify it takes you out of the app directly to the Spotify app.

It merely makes the connection for you as best I can tell. Here's an example.

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
3,702 Posts
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Tue, Oct 27 2015 10:13 PM

Thanks!  Although not the answer I was hoping for. Looking at videos online of the App it looks like Deezer is fully integrated into the App with the ability to select playlists etc? I was hoping  Spotify was the same, but I guess it is not. Every time I get ready to order an Essence, I find a reason to take another look at the Moment.

mjmedlo
Top 100 Contributor
921 Posts
Bronze Member
Get the moment.

It has deezer and that is easier to distribute than Spotify anyway.
elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
8,218 Posts
Founder
Razlaw:

Thanks! Although not the answer I was hoping for. Looking at videos online of the App it looks like Deezer is fully integrated into the App with the ability to select playlists etc? I was hoping Spotify was the same, but I guess it is not. Every time I get ready to order an Essence, I find a reason to take another look at the Moment.

Another way to think of it is that there are two Spotifys -- the one you define in the Essence (likeTuneIn) that is a premium account and which you use the Connect button to invoke.

That connection can operate autonomously with the account. And which as part of the "instant on" light switch metaphor is not meant to be searchable ?

And then there is the ad sponsored Spotify that you AirPlay into the Essence. And which is searchable.

BeoNut since '75

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
3,702 Posts
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Wed, Oct 28 2015 12:14 PM

Thank you for the clarification/explanation of the two different methods of using Spotify! Does not seem like I would gain much by adding an Essence as I do not want to stream music to it. I think I will just stay with my Beosound 5.

Luke
Not Ranked
12 Posts
Bronze Member
Luke replied on Wed, Oct 28 2015 12:44 PM

Millemissen:

What if:

The Moment AND the Essence are both playing (in seperate rooms) and you want to listen to, what is playing from the Essence in the bedroom/V1/BL17?

Which command would you use? The Moment (PatternPlay) - as you wrote - was connected and assigned to 'Music'. How are the sources of the Essence connected/assigned to the V1? I guess the 'Join' command would not do the job there.(?)

MM

There are actually two scenarios to above

1. You click "join" on the remote. It will select the first available source on the network (could be either Moment or Essence). If e.g. the Moment sound was picked up and you want to listen to what is played from the Essence you just hit the "join" button once again. It will cycle through available sources to join on the network and play this music through the V1/BL17

2. There are two sources; one Music source for Moment and one Music source for Essence. These sources are visible when viewing the "Sources" list on the V1 (or any other NL-tv for that matter). You can then rename the two sources to e.g. Music Livingroom (for the Moment) and. e.g. Kitchen (for the moment). And then assigne these sources to any quick links on the Beoremote one.

Note that scenario 1 with pushing "join" will not start any music on the V1 if not any music is playing on either Moment or Essence. Scenario 2 however will kick of "distribution" and play whatever music or radio that was played before hitting "pause"  on that particular device (at least for the Moment - haven't tested for the Essence to be honest).

Hope this clarified it?

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,273 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks Luke - it did (for the main part).

Actually the 'double-Join' is very clever ;-)

Your note to scenarario 1: that is logic, but nice to know that it also is handled as logic.

The scenario 2 note I am not quite sure, that I understand.

Do you mean, that if you use a remote Essence/Moment for distributing a source to a V1 (or another NL-BV), it will influence, what is playing on the remote Essence/Moment? That you can't use one source of the Essence/Moment in the local room at the same time as using another source (from the Essence/Moment) in the NL-tv room? In short = only one source of the Essence/Moment can be active regardless of where it is used?

P.S.

Now, when we are at it (for owners of the A6/A9), I suppose, that the 'Join, Join....' function goes for the sources of these devices too!(.)

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Luke
Not Ranked
12 Posts
Bronze Member
Luke replied on Wed, Oct 28 2015 9:52 PM

Sorry if I was a bit unclear in the explanation of scenario 2 Smile

Your interpretation is incorrect. You can absolutely use different sources in different rooms without any problems. What I ment was that instead of utilizing the "join" feature on the Beoremote you could instead select a NL-Source on the BV-TV. When you add a Moment for example it adds upp a number of NL sources in the TV list of available sources. Eg -> Select "SOURCES" on the BV -> In the list new NL-sources ar available. E.g. NL TuneIn, NL Music, NL PatternPlay. When you cycle through the sources in the TV it is displayed in parantheses which device that "owns" the source in the syntax NL Music ("SourceName") e.g. NL Music (BeoSound Moment). In my list i have NL Music (BeoSound Moment) AND NL Music (Essence). This means that when in my bedroom I can fire up my tv and select the source of choise. When I do that the music will automatically kick of on the V1 BUT without turning on the music on the Moment and playing through the Moments speakers. So the Moment in this case is used for just distributing the music through a relevant source e.g. Deezer, tuneIn or your DLNA-server. This is very convenient in my scenario since I like to listen to music in my bedroom and can use the Moment for this (also the Essence of course, but since I have both I normally use the Moment).

So to make things simple. Let's say that my Essence speakers in the kitchen was playing my Dinner playlist from deezer and after dinner i turned off the music in the kitchen. Later on i entered my living room where my moment is and played a Jazz album from my NAS-DLNA. When I go to bed I turn the moment off and enter the bedroom. While in the bedroom I now by ONE click can start either stream on my V1 WITHOUT turning on the speakers in the living room or kitchen. So if I select the shared source from the living room, my V1 will start to play the Jazz from my NAS and if I select the Essence-sourc it will start playing from my Dinner playlist.

On top of this I can of course use the App to change music, add/remove rooms to the music stream and so forth... It is really convenient I must say. Much better than my sonos system I used before Big Smile

Sorry for the quickly hacked text but hoped it is better understandable anyhow. A bit tired to write now so sorry for that Stick out tongue

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,273 Posts
Bronze Member

Got it!

Thanks for the clarifications - I guess they might be interesting to other future NL-users as well.

MM

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,273 Posts
Bronze Member

When you are ready - I have another question.

What are the restrictions - what can not be distributed?

I have understood, that you can not distribute something, that is AirPlay'ed (e.g. from an Essence).

And you can only distribute Spotify Connect (again e.g. from an Essence) to another NL-device, if this supports Connect as well?

Is this correct?

MM

Page 7 of 9 (124 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL