Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

New: BeoPlay Connection Hub

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 4 verified answers | 100 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
495 Posts
Bronze Member
1990 posted on Thu, Sep 10 2015 5:23 PM

In my mailbox, and on the BeoPlay.com website: 

B&O PLAY is introducing a new interface connecting "most TV's" to the BeoPlay S8, enabling it to play music, and the sound of the TV.

Big question to me seems: does it feature MultiRoom? If so, all my problems are solved and I can finally pull the trigger on buying some new stuff :) And: pricing? Hopefully it's an Essence in another box, with optical-in.

"CONNECTION HUB

HASSLE-FREE CONNECTIVITY

The B&O PLAY Connection Hub allows you to hook up BeoPlay S8 to almost any TV and audio sources, using optical or analogue cables. 

No extra remotes are needed, as the Connection Hub learns the IR commands from your TV remote or any other remote. 

The Connection Hub handles up to 3 connections at a time, and automatically changes to the last audio source to play, so if you’re listening to music, and the TV is turned on, the sound of the TV will take over. It’s as easy as that!"

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 150 Contributor
495 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Verified) 1990 replied on Tue, Sep 29 2015 8:20 AM
Verified by beoppj

TWG:

Let's hope it allows Beo 4,5,6 Beoremote one, Essence wheel control for the attached speakers!

Unfortunately not, it seems:

"The Connection Hub enables IR learning for three commands (volume up, volume down and mute) from a non-B&O TV remote control. The B&O TV remote control does not support IR learning for this Connection Hub."

There is however the possibility to set-up a source for fixed volume:

"Fix volume adjustment
Double press the muti button to disable local volume control. The indicator turns red for the source in this mode."

Full manual here: BeoPlay S8 Manual with Connection Hub

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
14,198 Posts
Bronze Member
Verified by 1990

But, are we right, when we assume, that other BeoLabs could be connected instead of the S8-set?

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Playlink
Not Ranked
12 Posts
Bronze Member
Verified by Playlink

You can connect power link speakers directly on the output power link socket :) (Not assuming anymore;)

It works for all powerlink Bang and Olufsen loudspeakers.

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
2,033 Posts
Gold Member

Hi Koijan,

Yes, the Hub can be programmed to give volume control of the speakers using the TV infra-red remote.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Founder of Sounds Heavenly Cables and Brand Ambassador for Bang & Olufsen

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

All Replies

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
2,033 Posts
Gold Member

Hi Steve1977,

No problem, in this case you would need to connect the TV to the Hub with an optical cable ( http://soundsheavenly.com/input/149-premium-braided-toslink-optical-cable-with-metal-plugs.html ) and then connect the Essence to the Line input of the Hub with the cable and adapter in the links below (not connecting via the Powerlink input):-

1) Cable: http://soundsheavenly.com/bang-olufsen/67--trs-5pd-.html

2) Adapter: http://soundsheavenly.com/bang-olufsen/30-rj45-to-powerlink-compatible-clip-on-adapter-convert-new-2013-ethernet-powerlink-to-traditional-8-pin-din-powerlink.html

This should give the functionality you need, as well as allowing the speakers to be connected in Powerlink mode to the Hub for full control (cables required depend on your chosen speakers, as seen in the link below):-

http://soundsheavenly.com/43-powerlink-rj45-cat5-connection-models-from-2013

If you need any further help, please feel free to ask.

To answer 1990's comment - yes, three inputs can be connected to the Hub, but it appears from testing that connecting anything via the Powerlink input stops the Hub from outputting a full Powerlink signal at the Powerlink output (hence any connected speaker would need to be used in Line mode only).

So, to answer Millemissen's question - yes, any Beolab speakers can be used with the Hub, as long as nothing is connected to the Powerlink input socket on the Hub.  Using the Powerlink input of the Hub limits you to speakers that have a Line input mode only.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
898 Posts
Bronze Member

Steve at Sounds Heavenly:

Hi Steve1977,

No problem, in this case you would need to connect the TV to the Hub with an optical cable ( http://soundsheavenly.com/input/149-premium-braided-toslink-optical-cable-with-metal-plugs.html ) and then connect the Essence to the Line input of the Hub with the cable and adapter in the links below (not connecting via the Powerlink input):-

1) Cable: http://soundsheavenly.com/bang-olufsen/67--trs-5pd-.html

2) Adapter: http://soundsheavenly.com/bang-olufsen/30-rj45-to-powerlink-compatible-clip-on-adapter-convert-new-2013-ethernet-powerlink-to-traditional-8-pin-din-powerlink.html

This should give the functionality you need, as well as allowing the speakers to be connected in Powerlink mode to the Hub for full control (cables required depend on your chosen speakers, as seen in the link below):-

http://soundsheavenly.com/43-powerlink-rj45-cat5-connection-models-from-2013

If you need any further help, please feel free to ask.

Thanks, this is super helpful. Two follow-up questions:

1) Can I connect a surround system to the connection hub? A Baulab 14 or even 5 individual Beolabs?

2) Can I connect both an Essence and my non-B&O to the connection hub? I being played to it by both devices, which one takes priority?

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
2,033 Posts
Gold Member

Hi,

Yes, you can connect any Beolab speakers to the S8 Hub, but you will only ever get stereo sound, not surround sound.  I'm not sure which device takes priority when several devices are connected to the Hub at once - if I recall correctly, the Hub switches automatically to whichever source is playing.

If you need any help with cables to get your system working, please let me know!

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
898 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks. I thought I were able to get surround with a Beolab 14 as it includes surround processor? Or does the Connection Hub not work with a Baolab 14? What about a pair of BL3 with a BL2 (i.e., 2+1)?

Once I finalize my decision on the system to go ahead with, I will need cables. Shall I just go ahead with your web-site or ping you directly?

steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
898 Posts
Bronze Member

Steve at Sounds Heavenly:
When there is nothing connected to the Powerlink (RJ45) input of the Hub, it outputs a correct Powerlink signal, ie. trigger voltage and stereo audio whenever sound is present on the optical or analogue inputs.  As soon as a Powerlink device is connected to the Powerlink input, it switches to "Line" mode and provides audio only (no Powerlink trigger signal) on the output socket.  If audio only is connected to the Powerlink input (ie. no trigger signal) then the Hub simply ignores this.

Hence, your Hub should be able to give a normal Powerlink output to your speakers, as long as no other B&O product is connected to the Powerlink In socket.

Did you get a reply on this frmo B&O? What are the implications for my use case (connecting Essence and a non-B&O TV as inputs and BL3 (and maybe BL2) as output? Will this work or is this constraint by what you are describing above?

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
2,033 Posts
Gold Member

Hi Steve,

Unfortunately, no-one from B&O has responded to me to clarify the situation regarding the Powerlink input on the S8 Hub, so this socket is best ignored to give you simpler operation for your speakers.

To clarify, Beolab 14 does not have a surround sound processor, it simply has multiple power amplifiers built in.  The S8 Hub is a stereo pre-amp only, so it will give stereo sound to a Beolab 14, not surround sound.  To get surround sound from a Beolab 14, you need a full surround sound processor or pre-amplifier.

If you need any help with cables for your system, please contact me directly at www.soundsheavenly.com and I will be happy to help!

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
898 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks. I will probably take another 2-3 weeks to finalize my decision, but will for sure not forget to reach you on provided web-site for the respective cables.

Do I understand you right that the issue about the PL-Input may not even impact me/ I need the PL-Output and still have 2 (or even 3?) other inputs for the Essence, my non-B&O televion (and a third device?). But no need to even use the PL-Input?

Possible to connect a pair of BL3, but also a BL2 to the Connection hub? Or just 2.0 and not 2.1?

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
14,198 Posts
Bronze Member

You only have to worry, if you use the PL-in AND one or more of the other connections.

Just PL to the BL2 and from there to the BL3's.

Using a PL-splitter might also be possible.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
898 Posts
Bronze Member

Millemissen:

You only have to worry, if you use the PL-in AND one or more of the other connections.

Just PL to the BL2 and from there to the BL3's.

Using a PL-splitter might also be possible.

MM

Thanks. Not sure whether I fully understand. You are saying that things work with my BL2/3 combo as long as I have two devices conected (e.g., non-B&O device and a Essence), but once I connect a 3rd one, I am getting problem with the PL-Out trigger?

Have the BL issues (speakers always on or big hiss) described by 1990 earlier in this thread of this post been resolved?

steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
898 Posts
Bronze Member
any thoughts? thanks in advance for your help!
Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
2,033 Posts
Gold Member

Hi,

Yes, you can use the optical and minijack inputs on the Hub without any issues, there should not be any noise problems if the correct cables are used.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Playlink
Not Ranked
12 Posts
Bronze Member
Verified by Playlink

You can connect power link speakers directly on the output power link socket :) (Not assuming anymore;)

It works for all powerlink Bang and Olufsen loudspeakers.

terto
Not Ranked
2 Posts
Bronze Member
terto replied on Thu, Mar 23 2017 8:30 AM

Hi,

I have problems getting my my setup to work. I'm trying to connect my Samsung 8005 tv to my Beolab 12-3 using the bang & Olufsen connection hub.

1. I've set the tv audio to optical and connected an optical cable from the tv to the connection hub.
2. I've connected the rj45 cable that came with the connection hub the speaker nr1. I then ran a second rj45 cable (shielded) from speaker nr1 to speaker nr2.
3. I've connected the tv remote to the connection hub.
4. I've tried all the different speaker settings. Powerline, line 1 and line 2. But I only get low speaker volume in the speakers and a constant hissing noice from the speakers. Please help me, i'm getting frustrated.

davidr
Top 500 Contributor
Montréal
172 Posts
Bronze Member
davidr replied on Thu, Mar 23 2017 3:39 PM

terto your set up should work, few questions.

When you switch on your samsung tv, does the LED on the S8 change to white? If so good sign, that means the optical signal is being detected. If not the TV and / or toslink cable is incorrect.

Does the 12-2 LED switch on green? If so that means the cabling is correct and triggering is working. If not that means the cabling or speakers are at fault. Also check if it does switch to green that the S8 is not muted. The S8 has three IR commands, vol up, vol down and mute. It's very easy to confuse & program the S8 with overlapping IR commands.

Try pairing a different remote.

Also are you confident the speakers ever work before?

terto
Not Ranked
2 Posts
Bronze Member
terto replied on Thu, Mar 23 2017 9:25 PM

Thanks for your feedback davidr!

I've now managed to make it work. I went back to the reseller since I suspected some issues with the actual hub. The reseller did not believe me, but he gave me two other units so that i could test it out. I placed one of the new units in the same layout as the first unit and everything worked directly. Even the hissing noice disappeared. 

I then noticed that some of my tv channels (SD quality) did not have any sound in my smart iptv app. But after a little fiddling with the settings in the tv I now have sound out of the speakers. I changed the audio format to PCM from dolby digital.

Page 6 of 7 (101 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL