MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

vlohjr1
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 475
Bronze Member
vlohjr1 replied on Sat, Sep 5 2015 10:34 AM
Let's put it this way

An a6 is is really an essence + speakers so an essence is £555 and a a6 is £799 so we are really only getting £250 worth of speakers

I can get a pair of 2nd hand 6000s made in Denmark for say £300 which I presume sounds better.

Good value?
Raeuber
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,542
Bronze Member
Raeuber replied on Sat, Sep 5 2015 10:38 AM
I wouldn't pay more than 50 EUR for such an ugly piece of plastic, covered with old cloth.
StUrrock
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 994
Bronze Member
StUrrock replied on Sat, Sep 5 2015 10:41 AM
Raeuber:

I wouldn't pay more than 50 EUR for such an ugly piece of plastic, covered with old cloth.

But surely the slick, bug free multi room software is priceless Wink
Pushkin
Not Ranked
Posts 46
Bronze Member
Pushkin replied on Sat, Sep 5 2015 10:45 AM
StUrrock:

But surely the slick, bug free multi room software is priceless

Absolutely - always been my experience Big Smile
Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,281
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Sat, Sep 5 2015 10:48 AM

It's hideous!  Fabric looks like a worn wool jumper with bits hanging off it and with a zipper across the middle!  Way overpriced with no style.  Lost the plot with this one I think.

Dave.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,218
Founder
elephant replied on Sat, Sep 5 2015 11:01 AM
Pushkin:

StUrrock:

But surely the slick, bug free multi room software is priceless

Absolutely - always been my experience

Lucky you

Indifferent

BeoNut since '75

Emil Jensen
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 656
Bronze Member

So the A6 is a better, cheaper version of A8, and it is easier to move around.

And you guys still complain,

Ok you don’t like the design, that is about taste and difficult to discuss.

But this is a very modern design, and one other Danish company has had great success with wool on speaker.

Sometimes you guys strike me as old minded people who can’t take and objective stand.

Also I am impressed by Beophile, they have a great site, but they have started bashing the brand. Why would you have a b&o site just to bash the brand?

With this product they make a clear statement about what is beoplay, and what is bang & olufsen.

Last but not least you bash the product for being too expensive, while you bash it for not being produced in Denmark.

If you were in charge of the company it would be bankrupt tomorrow.

Beovision Harmony 77" 2nd Gen, Beolab 5, Beolab 17, Beosound 1, Beoplay M3, Beoplay H6, Beoplay Earset, Beoliving Intelligence 

Emil Jensen
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 656
Bronze Member

Last I checked the Essense was more then 555£

But comparing the A6 with a used old product that is much more difficult to place make no sense at all!

Please find a set of beolab 6000 for all potential A6 customer?

Also place a set of beolab 6000 in the kitchen, not very elegant solution in many homes.

Beovision Harmony 77" 2nd Gen, Beolab 5, Beolab 17, Beosound 1, Beoplay M3, Beoplay H6, Beoplay Earset, Beoliving Intelligence 

Daniel
Top 75 Contributor
Svinarp, Sweden
Posts 1,580
Bronze Member
Daniel replied on Sat, Sep 5 2015 11:31 AM

Have they seen it IRL and listen to it? Or are they just ranting based on a press release?

AnalogPlanet
Top 150 Contributor
Vienna, Austria
Posts 623
Bronze Member

I read people see bits hanging off from the old cloth cover in promo pics. Geeked And rainbow unicorn. Big Smile

On the serious note: Libratone's textile did not cope well with too much handleing as I've seen in FNAC in Paris. But Kvadrat's are made to be the upholstery fabric, so if you don' intend to seat and walk over A6 daily - I guess it should age very well without losing its form or color.

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Sat, Sep 5 2015 12:15 PM

Ok I'm going to buck the trend and say I really like the look of the A6's gentle curve and can see its appeal as a one stop solution that many of my friends need but who may not be geeky as me.

Price is always subjective but then I buy such for ones inner enjoyment.  

we tend to forget there is more to design than designing.

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,554
Gold Member
I like it. I think it's original. I like that the fabric is natural. The zipper action is somewhat questionable but i haven't seen it in the flesh.

The price is better than the A8 and is still better than the BS1 from what I can see.

It's interesting to see that those with opinions with the 'country of origin effect' will still complain about the price.

Isn't this about opening up the brand to a new market - someone that perhaps has never brought B&O before? And to that I say well done.
henrik
Top 200 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 444
Bronze Member
henrik replied on Sat, Sep 5 2015 12:21 PM

I like the design! It looks better than most of the competition, imho. I can't comment its price as I haven't yet heard how it performs.

Beroli
Not Ranked
Germany
Posts 315
Bronze Member
Beroli replied on Sat, Sep 5 2015 12:22 PM

Dave Farr:

It's hideous!  Fabric looks like a worn wool jumper with bits hanging off it and with a zipper across the middle!  Way overpriced with no style.  Lost the plot with this one I think.

Dave.

It´s not a "Zipper. It represents the Soundwaves coming from the BeoPlay-Sign. At least for me. Lets do some Rorschasch-Tests (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rorschach_test) and talk about our feelings.

Cheers Beroli   

Raeuber
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,542
Bronze Member
Raeuber replied on Sat, Sep 5 2015 12:28 PM
Even this replica of A8 looks nicer than the ugly A6:

http://www.pearl.de/a-ZX1550-1262.shtml

Just for 29,90 €! Big Smile

Räuber
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 13,655
Bronze Member

Beroli:

It´s not a "Zipper. It represents the Soundwaves coming from the BeoPlay-Sign. At least for me. Lets do some Rorschasch-Tests (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rorschach_test) and talk about our feelings.

Cheers Beroli   

LOL Big Smile

MM

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,554
Gold Member
Raeuber:

Just for 29,90 €!

Räuber

bongo drums have never looked so classy LOL
Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Sat, Sep 5 2015 12:34 PM

Raeuber:

Just for 29,90 €! Big Smile

Räuber

Ugly in your opinion. B&O has always designed a more stylish product than the midi-systems or whatever was the norm for the time . You are obviously not the target customer. If they want it then they will buy it!

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

Raeuber
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,542
Bronze Member
Raeuber replied on Sat, Sep 5 2015 12:42 PM
Simonbeo:

Ugly in your opinion. B&O has always designed a more stylish product than the midi-systems or whatever was the norm for the time . You are obviously not the target customer. If they want it then they will buy it!

Always a question of personal taste, no doubt.

But in my eyes it seems B&O want to spare money for production and that's why they use cheap plastic and the old socks of my grandfather.
Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Sat, Sep 5 2015 12:59 PM
yes design is always personal just like music taste and the world would be a bland place if we all chose the same (I always like to read constructive criticism about product design) and is not the fabric material bang on the pulse looking at several other manufactures.

But for one I'm enjoying how PLAY is evolving and hopefully it will both bolster and bring new customers to B&O.

we tend to forget there is more to design than designing.

AnalogPlanet
Top 150 Contributor
Vienna, Austria
Posts 623
Bronze Member

Raeuber:
But in my eyes it seems B&O want to spare money for production and that's why they use cheap...

...Kvadrat fabric. Big Smile They might even go cheaper on the next product(s) with Florence Knoll?

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member

The fabric is of good quality and the badge understated. The point is aesthetically its passive and fits into a contemporary home but impresses by its output. Like an iPhone is what it does and not so much an object. 

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

Paul W
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Sat, Sep 5 2015 1:14 PM

Oh my gosh Raebeur, that illusion - that's the size the A8 should HAVE BEEN!!! The A8 is HUGE - too huge.

This A6 thing is pretty large at 53cm.

I see no design in the A6. HUGE profit margin though.

benoit
Top 150 Contributor
North East France
Posts 616
Bronze Member
benoit replied on Sat, Sep 5 2015 1:53 PM

I wonder if some of the many A6 detractors own Apple devices... I hope not as they are as well China made and obviously overpriced as well... Wink

I like Apple and the A6!

benoit
Top 150 Contributor
North East France
Posts 616
Bronze Member
benoit replied on Sat, Sep 5 2015 1:54 PM

Let's give it a chance first and see it in flesh. After we can speak...

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 13,655
Bronze Member

Raeuber:

But in my eyes it seems B&O want to spare money for production and that's why they use cheap plastic and the old socks of my grandfather.

When I pull off the (woolen) cover of my old BL5000, I see 'cheap plastic' too.

This composite material is wonderfull - you can make amazing things with it nowadays!

'old socks of your grandfather' - your grandpa must have had quite a lot of socks...and an exquisite taste too 😉

MM

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member

Paul W:

I see no design in the A6.

I don't want to SEE design . I want to see a good design.

the A6 didn't just happen!

Brigantinus
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 140
Bronze Member
The design is a matter of personal taste, but I think, the possibility to use it as a multiroom solution, which does not cost 2 or 3K is a step in the right direction.....
Playdrv4me
Top 150 Contributor
USA
Posts 477
Bronze Member

benoit:

I wonder if some of the many A6 detractors own Apple devices... I hope not as they are as well China made and obviously overpriced as well... Wink

I like Apple and the A6!

I'm so tired of this ill-informed, played out response about "Apple makes things in China so why can't B&O do it". 

Look, Apple makes a phone and a tablet that cost almost the same as every other premium phone and tablet, and in their MOST expensive guise we are still talking about a product you use every day that tops out at 1029.00 US for a 128GB 6 Plus. For the 100th and last time. Apple builds COMMODITY MARKET products, sometimes at a *slightly* higher price point than other manufacturers, and sometimes NOT (seen the price of those Galaxy craps lately?).

Bang and Olufsen make luxury products that cost *tens of thousands* of dollars. People paying that amount of money pay for the LITTLE things, like not having their new toy be made in China like everyone ELSE's new toy. Made in Denmark carried a certain weight, a history, a heritage that you can't get building like a commodity manufacturer elsewhere. 

*NOW* that being said, I WILL also make the counterpoint that B&O Play line is the *perfect* outlet for B&O to produce Made in China products for the upper crust of the "masses". Most B&O Play products are WELL MADE for what they are, and don't have quite such an outrageous markup for their given market as the straight up B&O line items. This is why I think that B&O Play is actually probably the future of B&O even as much as many of us might not be too keen on that. But to try to make a jab at people who like Apple because they complain that 5, 10, 25,000.00 B&O products aren't made in Denmark anymore is just shortsighted and dumb. It means you pretty much don't care about throwing extra money away for B&O to cull more profit from your dollar. And then, what's the point of spending all that extra cash on a normal B&O product to begin with!

Reading through this thread I have not seen anyone attacking this product for being Made in China directly. They might be attacking it for the way it looks, or having cheap plastic or what not (and really, we and BeoPhile should reserve judgement until someone has held and listened to it) and B&O will absolutely merit those criticisms, made in China or not, if that proves to be the case. But the LARGER issue of B&O manufacturing outside of Denmark for any line *outside* of B&O play, is a VALID one. 

Ugh.

henrik
Top 200 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 444
Bronze Member
henrik replied on Sat, Sep 5 2015 7:57 PM

Millemissen:

Hehe! Yes, there is a lot of 'cheap plastic' in many of the famous b&o products. Nothing wrong with that. :)

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member

henrik:

Millemissen:

Hehe! Yes, there is a lot of 'cheap plastic' in many of the famous b&o products. Nothing wrong with that. :)

Some plastics such as ABS are quite expensive. And then the moulds are not cheap. 

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 3,975
Gold Member
chartz replied on Sat, Sep 5 2015 8:26 PM

As ugly... as an Audi A6! 

Yuck!

Jacques

BeoGreg
Top 75 Contributor
South of France
Posts 1,413
Bronze Member
BeoGreg replied on Sat, Sep 5 2015 8:34 PM
Keep some arguments for the S3, don't put it all on the A6 !

What was the last product that everybody applaud on a B&O forum ?
tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,352
Gold Member

BeoGreg:
What was the last product that everybody applaud on a B&O forum ?

The bottle opener?

--mika

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 13,655
Bronze Member

LOL 😄

MM

BeoGreg
Top 75 Contributor
South of France
Posts 1,413
Bronze Member
BeoGreg replied on Sat, Sep 5 2015 10:44 PM
Yeah, best product ever.

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,554
Gold Member
Paul W:

Oh my gosh Raebeur, that illusion - that's the size the A8 should HAVE BEEN!!! The A8 is HUGE - too huge.

This A6 thing is pretty large at 53cm.

Interestingly it's not that much larger than the original Apple ipod HiFi if you remember that monstrosity - cant wait to see it in real life and on the floor / table stand.

That picture they showed where the A6 was mounted on the wall must of been a huge room as it looked dwarfed by the other items in the room lol
Page 1 of 2 (56 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL