CD player recommendations for Beomaster 8000

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 9 Replies | 0 Followers

2121marty
Top 500 Contributor
82 Posts
Bronze Member
2121marty posted on Thu, Aug 20 2015 5:47 PM

Proud owner of a fully restored BM8000, recently arrived, (with post details separately).  

What CD player should I use with it? It wont end up side by side so there is no need to worry about it matching. Are the CDX any good? or should I get the CD fixed on my Beosound and just use that?

Dont worry I have the vinyl sorted as the main stay...just prefer CD's over ipod as my second choice.

All Replies

beaker
Top 150 Contributor
761 Posts
Bronze Member
beaker replied on Thu, Aug 20 2015 5:58 PM
The CDX is in my humble opinion the nicest sounding CD player B&O have ever made. It's definitely the one to go for. It was my favourite bit of kit that I had and I used it with many different Beomasters until my dishwasher caught fire, tripped out the power and the only two things that died were my CDX and Beovision 3. Not a good day.
chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
4,119 Posts
Gold Member
chartz replied on Thu, Aug 20 2015 6:30 PM

Do not underestimate the CD50!

I for one prefer it to the CDX. 

Jacques

jvezina
Top 500 Contributor
Montreal, Canada
193 Posts
Gold Member

chartz:

Do not underestimate the CD50!

I for one prefer it to the CDX. 

But don't forget that it requires the IR board and CD terminal remote (hard to find items) if one wants to use all its capabilities (programming, etc)  as a stand-alone unit used with the BM 8000. Without that, its functionality is very basic. Perhaps that may suffice for some owners.

The CDX is complete in itself.

Regards,

Jean

Lee
Top 150 Contributor
Newcastle upon Tyne UK
734 Posts
Bronze Member
Lee replied on Thu, Aug 20 2015 6:51 PM
I'm a CD50 lover too, it's got a wonderful sound. You could use it either with the aforementioned IR board or like I do with the IR code converter which also allows me to control my BM8000 with a beo4 remote.
j0hnbarker
Top 500 Contributor
187 Posts
Bronze Member

I used a CDX for the past 8 years with my BM 8000 and have had no complaints. 

Over that time I had a couple of CD50s in the house and yes, they're cool and quirky, but I always preferred the CDX.

BO
Top 150 Contributor
Halmstad, Sweden
728 Posts
Bronze Member
BO replied on Thu, Aug 20 2015 7:16 PM

I also think the CD50 is best choice. I fits better designwise with its big LED digits. (sounds good too).

For control I use an MCL2AV wich give the possibility to use any of the newer remotes, including the MCP's (maybe not MCP5000).

I also has two way communication so if you use BL5000/7000 or MCP5500-7000 you can also see track-numbers etc.

It also works as an audio input expander, which is good if you have several sources like audio streamers, CD, etc.

//Bo.
A long list...

Anders Jørgensen
Top 200 Contributor
Denmark
350 Posts
Bronze Member

I still got my CDX for BM8000 use though I also got the IR code converter kit which allows any data link Beogram CD player to be connected instead.

But the CDX is still playing great since 2008 where it was for scrap really with a broken left hinge and some electronics but thanks to a Beoworld member John Barker and Dillen it was brought back to life.

I only got IR code converter later and noticed the cd input and how that could work.

2121marty
Top 500 Contributor
82 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks everyone, I looked up the CD50 but without wishing to offend its not really my cup of tea style wise. I think maybe the CDX, they seem cheap enough on Ebay.

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
4,119 Posts
Gold Member
chartz replied on Thu, Aug 20 2015 8:32 PM
So be it!

Bear in mind that the "cheap" ones always require some work: a new belt, many solder joints, possibly PSU electrolytics. Displays can be faulty too, missing one or two segments.

But it is quite manageable, or you could have it done of course.

I managed to find a cheap, but not functional mint example a few years ago, but today everybody seems to want one, so prices have risen substantially. Expect to pay for one with good cosmetics.

Jacques

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL