Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

20% discount A9 arrived today with a bonus!

rated by 0 users
This post has 47 Replies | 0 Followers

Jonathan
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, Australia
Posts 1,807
Bronze Member
Jonathan replied on Wed, Aug 19 2015 5:48 AM

Geoff Martin:

elephant:
Playdrv4me:

The A9 is so affordable (for B&O), produces such good performance and looks so stunningly gorgeous I *wish* you could link TWO of them together (or can you?) to act as L and R stereo points. I remember I briefly searched for information about this once but didn't find anything.

I had a similar desire and discussed it once with a dealer. He said it would not work but the reply lacked detail.

Why not drop Geoff Martin a PM ?

Hi,

This certainly works if you use the Line inputs. However, if you do choose to do this, *I* would recommend that you only use one input on each A9 (so, for example, the Left input on the left device and the Right input on the right device). This is to avoid comb filtering caused by having two left channels coming from adjacent "loudspeakers" (both sides of one A9).

That said, I do know of one person who has doubled up the inputs (so, the two inputs of the left A9 were both connected to the Left output of the source: you figure out the right A9). He claimed that the comb filtering wasn't too audible - but I do know that that particular person rarely sits in the "sweet spot". He's more of a "passive listening" kind of guy...

Cheers

-geoff

The female DJ I heard about is Melbourne based. The difference though is that she had them rewired so that each A9 is purely a mono speaker. I don't know how, but apparantly one A9 is completely left channel and the other is completely right channel, therefore utilising the whole speaker. I would guess that if you only plugged in to one rca you'd only be utilising half of the speaker (?)

x:________________________

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,218
Founder
elephant replied on Wed, Aug 19 2015 6:15 AM
And I still want to hear her A9s in action - where does she play ?

BeoNut since '75

Jonathan
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, Australia
Posts 1,807
Bronze Member
Jonathan replied on Wed, Aug 19 2015 6:28 AM

Not sure... Terry from the Richmond store told me about it

x:________________________

Geoff Martin
Top 150 Contributor
Struer, Denmark
Posts 604
Bronze Member

Jonathan:
I would guess that if you only plugged in to one rca you'd only be utilising half of the speaker (?)

This is true, but this is intentional, since it would avoid the comb filtering artefacts that would result from playing identical signals from both sides of the A9.

Cheers

-geoff

Playdrv4me
Top 150 Contributor
USA
Posts 477
Bronze Member
Playdrv4me replied on Wed, Aug 19 2015 11:28 AM

Geoff Martin:

elephant:
Playdrv4me:

The A9 is so affordable (for B&O), produces such good performance and looks so stunningly gorgeous I *wish* you could link TWO of them together (or can you?) to act as L and R stereo points. I remember I briefly searched for information about this once but didn't find anything.

I had a similar desire and discussed it once with a dealer. He said it would not work but the reply lacked detail.

Why not drop Geoff Martin a PM ?

Hi,

This certainly works if you use the Line inputs. However, if you do choose to do this, *I* would recommend that you only use one input on each A9 (so, for example, the Left input on the left device and the Right input on the right device). This is to avoid comb filtering caused by having two left channels coming from adjacent "loudspeakers" (both sides of one A9).

That said, I do know of one person who has doubled up the inputs (so, the two inputs of the left A9 were both connected to the Left output of the source: you figure out the right A9). He claimed that the comb filtering wasn't too audible - but I do know that that particular person rarely sits in the "sweet spot". He's more of a "passive listening" kind of guy...

Cheers

-geoff

Thanks, Geoff!

I was mistaken about the A9 not having line inputs apparently so it IS doable. I agree that I would only feed a single channel to each respective speaker for best effect. 

The Engadget review of the A9 I read made a quip about no AUX input, but I see on the B&O play website it shows "line in" now. I'll have to keep this in the back of my mind for a future project!

Playdrv4me
Top 150 Contributor
USA
Posts 477
Bronze Member
Playdrv4me replied on Wed, Aug 19 2015 11:32 AM

Btw, Sorry Dave I sort of accidentally hijacked your thread with the dual A9 thought I had!

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,280
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Wed, Aug 19 2015 12:40 PM

Playdrv4me:

Btw, Sorry Dave I sort of accidentally hijacked your thread with the dual A9 thought I had!

No apology needed.  It's been intersting, I found a new B&O website and it's all related to the A9.

Dave.

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Wed, Aug 19 2015 1:51 PM

My hat's off to Geoff, he's the only person I know who can manage to work MAD into an audio discussion! Cool

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Page 2 of 2 (48 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL