Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

20% discount A9 arrived today with a bonus!

rated by 0 users
This post has 47 Replies | 0 Followers

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,280
Gold Member
Dave Farr Posted: Mon, Aug 17 2015 11:19 AM

I ordered an A9 with the 20% discount offer.  It arrived safely today and I think looks stunning.  It's still warming up before I plug it in as it's cold in that UPS van.

I think B&O must have listened to a comment here last week as included was an envelope containing:

A blank B&O Play writing pad, A letter from Tue Henrik and the B&O team and best of all, a pair of vouchers. One for an immediate 15% of my next purchase at Beoplay.com and a second for a friend or family member - also 15% off for them!  Both to be used by Nov 15th 2015.

A very nicely done extra.

Dave.

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,147
Founder
9 LEE replied on Mon, Aug 17 2015 11:43 AM

A nice touch - and when I saw an A9 here at LifeStyle in the exact colour scheme you've chose I was blown away by how good it looked. A very good choice.

I'm also in love with the Nordic Sky Dusk.   I do like the A9 - it's a cracking bit of design.

Lee

Playdrv4me
Top 150 Contributor
USA
Posts 477
Bronze Member
Playdrv4me replied on Mon, Aug 17 2015 11:52 AM

The A9 is so affordable (for B&O), produces such good performance and looks so stunningly gorgeous I *wish* you could link TWO of them together (or can you?) to act as L and R stereo points. I remember I briefly searched for information about this once but didn't find anything. 

Paul W
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Mon, Aug 17 2015 11:55 AM

Very nice touch :)

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,280
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Mon, Aug 17 2015 12:28 PM

Thanks all.  Now I just need to get the damned thing to work!

I've got Bluetooth set-up OK but at first there was no sound.  I near wet myself!  Though the volume indicator on my iPad said full volume, I still had to hand wave across the back to get anything.  That sounded fine after that.  Lovely sound.

Now if only I could get it to connect to the wi-fi I have and it does detect easily.  No chance - 'unexpected error occurred, try again later' every time. Then I got a red indicator light.  It wouldn't show up on the Beosetup app.  Then it did and it is now (hopefully) doing a firmware update!  It said the red indicator light would flash during the update but it didn't - it just stayed amber.  I've just checked again 5 minutes later) and both indicators are flashing red so that's good news I hope!  I wish it was as easy as just plugging these things in.  It looks so simple on the set-up guide included with the products but in reality, it's never worked like that for any B&O product I've bought recently (Beolit 12, Essence, A9, A8), they have all been a pain to set-up and I've had to do other steps not shown in the set-up guide.

I've just heard 2 'beep, beeps' from it so must dash to see if it will connect now.

5 minutes later - success!  I now have Airplay and Bluetooth.  Steve Hackett at the Royal Albert Hall blasting away in the dining room.  Lovely.  I'm a happy man again.

Dave.

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,415
Gold Member
Duels replied on Mon, Aug 17 2015 1:05 PM
Dave Farr:

I think B&O must have listened to a comment here last week as included was an envelope containing.......... A letter from Tue Henrik and the B&O team

Paul W take a bow.
Paul W
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Mon, Aug 17 2015 1:10 PM

Haha thank you Duels. Well, to me, it was special having that little note in the Century packaging. I was 19/20 at the time and it took me a full year to save for the Century. I was so excited and having that little note inside added to the experience.   I'm working on packaging ideas for my athlete's fitness clothing line and i've designed a beautiful note for all customers.

:)

Any news on the S3 yet? And, has the A8 now been discontinued? Hopefully there will be something to fill its shoes.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,218
Founder
elephant replied on Mon, Aug 17 2015 6:50 PM
Playdrv4me:

The A9 is so affordable (for B&O), produces such good performance and looks so stunningly gorgeous I *wish* you could link TWO of them together (or can you?) to act as L and R stereo points. I remember I briefly searched for information about this once but didn't find anything.

I had a similar desire and discussed it once with a dealer. He said it would not work but the reply lacked detail.

Why not drop Geoff Martin a PM ?

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,218
Founder
elephant replied on Mon, Aug 17 2015 6:54 PM
9 LEE:

A nice touch - and when I saw an A9 here at LifeStyle in the exact colour scheme you've chose I was blown away by how good it looked. A very good choice.

Lee

I agree.

I have seen this look side by side with the Love Affair version ... and prefer this all black version - the darker legs and the sheen of the black rim.

Well done Dave.

BeoNut since '75

vlohjr1
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 467
Bronze Member
vlohjr1 replied on Mon, Aug 17 2015 8:01 PM
elephant:

I had a similar desire and discussed it once with a dealer. He said it would not work but the reply lacked detail.

Why not drop Geoff Martin a PM ? BeoNut since '75

Just like a pair of SonosSurprise!
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 13,424
Bronze Member

The A9 is a stereo speaker and tuned for that.

I am not sure that sending a right respectively a left signal to a couple of stereo speakers will create a real stereo setup.

With the Sonos you might not notice it, but with the A9's, I am pretty sure, you would.

P.S @Dave - congrats on your new buddy.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,280
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Mon, Aug 17 2015 9:50 PM

Millemissen:
P.S @Dave - congrats on your new buddy.

Thanks, I've been playing it all afternoon and doing all of the login/registration for the Deezer, Spotify, Tunein apps, checking it out through the Beomusic app etc.  Bit odd though as the network indicator most of the time is red which I thought meant no network connection but it plays perfectly, no drop outs etc and it always appears on the Beosetup app, and under the Airplay banner on all devices such as phones, iPod, iPad and so on.  If I check on the Beosetup app it says the connection is either good or excellent so the red light is confounding me a bit!

You can do so much with the A9 under the Beosetup app compared to other devices.  I love it.

Which remotes can be 'paired' to it?  Can someone tell me?

Dave.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 13,424
Bronze Member

@Dave 

only the 'wheely' - the 2nd gen has no ir-receiver.

MM

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,218
Founder
elephant replied on Mon, Aug 17 2015 11:03 PM
Millemissen:

Sorry but I do not understand what means and how that works.

BeoNut since '75

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,280
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Mon, Aug 17 2015 11:18 PM
That's what confused me! So by 'remote' pairing do they just mean a device such as a tablet or iPad?

Not sure I understand what they mean?

Dave
Playdrv4me
Top 150 Contributor
USA
Posts 477
Bronze Member

elephant:
Millemissen:

I think MM is saying that because the speaker as a whole is tuned to be a single stereo "unit", that sending just one channel to two of them wouldn't sound as good as we think it would. It's too bad because it would be easy to test this theory out if only some kind of auxiliary input had been included. I think the shortcomings about using A9s as a pair probably would be more with the loss of some functionality, like the fact that you can't split the digital signals or control the volume on both at the same time, not because they wouldn't sound good. And in fact, if they did have an AUX in, you could add a preamp, B&O or otherwise before the two speakers and alleviate this, but I am getting way off track. 

The reason I think it could work is because the new Devialet speaker works exactly like the A9. It is designed to be a single stereo unit with a LOT of power and sizable drivers unlike a little SONOS, *but* you can add a second one and a controller box and pair them for a proper stereo effect from both units. B&O could have made some forethought on this with the A9, I just wonder if they feared it would affect sales of the higher end models perhaps. 

Jonathan
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, Australia
Posts 1,807
Bronze Member
Jonathan replied on Tue, Aug 18 2015 2:10 AM

I've heard of a DJ who has two A9s for her work. She does small venues and private functions. She had them rewired so that one is left channel and the other is right channel. She takes them to gigs and they work really well. They also look really good Yes - thumbs up

x:________________________

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,504
Bronze Member

That was a nice add on with the B&O Pad :-) 

Playdrv4me
Top 150 Contributor
USA
Posts 477
Bronze Member

Jonathan:

I've heard of a DJ who has two A9s for her work. She does small venues and private functions. She had them rewired so that one is left channel and the other is right channel. She takes them to gigs and they work really well. They also look really good Yes - thumbs up

Very cool!

BeoGreg
Top 75 Contributor
South of France
Posts 1,413
Bronze Member
BeoGreg replied on Tue, Aug 18 2015 9:05 AM
Thanks for the review Dave. Well not exactly, now I whant one !
Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,280
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Tue, Aug 18 2015 9:20 AM

BeoGreg:
Thanks for the review Dave. Well not exactly, now I whant one !

Sorry!

It sounds even better today than it did to me yesterday!  I'm still having some issues using the Beomusic app though.  Sometimes it shows cover art etc and sometimes not.  It has also stopped the music when I've gone from Deezer on my iPad and then gone into the Beomusic app.  I also had to disconnect wi-fi and reconnect it again before the Beosetup app or airplay could find any products - this actually happens quite frequently and is really annoying.

I think that's related to in effect having 3 wi-fi networks in the house.  It's a large area and our router can't get a signal to all areas.  I installed some wi-fi extenders via the plug sockets which work OK except I'm supposed to be able to 'clone' our original router so they all operate as one network.  I cannot get them to clone no matter how hard or often I try so we now have 3 seperate networks for distinct areas in the house.  If Airplay won't connect or the apps can't detect a product, if I pull the extender from the socket and plug it in again, it all works fine.  Or, if I 'renew lease' under the wi-fi settings on the iPad that also often gets Airplay to operate again.

I'm hoping to get a new Orange Livebox Zen as I think the cloning will be easier than with my current router.

I'm rearranging some furniture today so the A9 stands out a bit more in the corner and sorting out a cable sock to tidy cables near it.

If you can get a 20% off voucher, I'd recommend buying one.

Dave.

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,280
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Tue, Aug 18 2015 9:24 AM

I've just discovered I can 'pair' my Essence remote to the A9.  Lots of fun to be had.  Thanks for the hint @MM on the 'wheely thing'.

Dave.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,218
Founder
elephant replied on Tue, Aug 18 2015 9:38 AM
Jonathan:

I've heard of a DJ who has two A9s for her work. She does small venues and private functions. She had them rewired so that one is left channel and the other is right channel. She takes them to gigs and they work really well. They also look really good

x:________________________

Melbourne based ????

Answered by the next post

There I go, hair trigger & shooting from the hip

See http://beoculture.com/5-creative-uses-bang-olufsen-beoplay-a9/

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,218
Founder
elephant replied on Tue, Aug 18 2015 9:40 AM
Dave Farr:

It was on the Beoculture website:

http://beoculture.com/5-creative-uses-bang-olufsen-beoplay-a9/

Dave.

Wow

Never had heard of that site before

I better book mark it Cool

BeoNut since '75

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,280
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Tue, Aug 18 2015 9:43 AM

It was new to me too.  I bookmarked it as they do have some interesting articles, reviews, 'how to' features and videos.  Links to sales of B&O too.

Dave.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,218
Founder
elephant replied on Tue, Aug 18 2015 9:46 AM
Playdrv4me:

I think MM is saying that because the speaker as a whole is tuned to be a single stereo "unit", that sending just one channel to two of them wouldn't sound as good as we think it would. It's too bad because it would be easy to test this theory out if only some kind of auxiliary input had been included. I think the shortcomings about using A9s as a pair probably would be more with the loss of some functionality, like the fact that you can't split the digital signals or control the volume on both at the same time, not because they wouldn't sound good. And in fact, if they did have an AUX in, you could add a preamp, B&O or otherwise before the two speakers and alleviate this, but I am getting way off track.

The reason I think it could work is because the new Devialet speaker works exactly like the A9. It is designed to be a single stereo unit with a LOT of power and sizable drivers unlike a little SONOS, *but* you can add a second one and a controller box and pair them for a proper stereo effect from both units. B&O could have made some forethought on this with the A9, I just wonder if they feared it would affect sales of the higher end models perhaps.

EmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassed

How could I forget that B&O benefit imbedded in power link cables

I could kick myself ...

🐘💥🏃

BeoNut since '75

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 13,424
Bronze Member

elephant:
Millemissen:

I am pretty sure that the guys in the acoustic department in Struer did what they could to create a relatively wide stereo perspective from the A9 - in spite of the fact that the driver are pretty close together.

This can be done through the DSP filtering, that is used to tune every modern B&O loudspeaker. This is something, that owners of the BSys4-based tv's (might) know from the inbuilt speakers as well. These can be 'adressed' in different ways for different purposes (see the Geoff article: "Technical Sound Guide"). I am still impressed how 'wide' the stereo perspective of my V1-32 can be.

But of course you can feed each of 2 A9's with a mono signal (R/L) - after all they have a line-in connection.

However, to get a proper result, there would have to be a 'mono-mode' on each A9 - to secure, that the speaker(s) are tuned/used as a mono speaker.

The DJ - mentioned - probably just feed a right respectively a left signal into the line-in's (or maybe even ran them as double stereo with some fancy DSP'ing made in his gear).

Usually DJ'ing is about creating impressive sound effects - a 'soundtrack' for a special occation.

For this it might work well, but I am still questioning how (well) it would work with 'real' stereo material, where you would sit down to listen to music.

As ever, try it out and see if it works for you - personally I would not do it.

MM

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,280
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Tue, Aug 18 2015 10:34 AM

I'm having some fun with this A9.  I've just tried to put the volume up via the hand sweep 'up the rear' as they say, but the music (Selling England by the Pound by Genesis via Deezer) started playing directly from my iPad instead and some very enjoyable classical music came out of the A9.  I've no idea where from as I've no classical music saved in Deezer yet!

Cable tidying almost finished.  I'm not going to pair the Essence remote as I couldn't use it for the Essence then.  Maybe I'll have to buy a second Essence remote?

Dave.

Geoff Martin
Top 150 Contributor
Struer, Denmark
Posts 604
Bronze Member

elephant:
Playdrv4me:

Why not drop Geoff Martin a PM ?

Hi,

This certainly works if you use the Line inputs. However, if you do choose to do this, *I* would recommend that you only use one input on each A9 (so, for example, the Left input on the left device and the Right input on the right device). This is to avoid comb filtering caused by having two left channels coming from adjacent "loudspeakers" (both sides of one A9).

That said, I do know of one person who has doubled up the inputs (so, the two inputs of the left A9 were both connected to the Left output of the source: you figure out the right A9). He claimed that the comb filtering wasn't too audible - but I do know that that particular person rarely sits in the "sweet spot". He's more of a "passive listening" kind of guy...

Cheers

-geoff

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 13,424
Bronze Member

It is as with any lady, you've got to find the right spot (to touch) 🙀

MM

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,280
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Tue, Aug 18 2015 11:21 AM

Well, I'm giving up with the Beomusic app as it's useless!  It now won't detect the A9 and says the iPad and A9 have to be on the same network - they are!  I checked.  It also keeps going blank in that it will show the cover art when something is playing then it will just vanish.  It keeps telling me to 'rotate the screen' to portrait etc - which it already is!  It just seems to have a mind of its own.  I'm giving it up and playing directly via Deezer0 minus Beomusic.

Dave.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 13,424
Bronze Member

Millemissen:

MM

Uhm - this was meant as a comment for Dave.

MM

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,280
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Tue, Aug 18 2015 11:23 AM

Millemissen:

MM

It's an A9 not a G9!  This will get moderated if it carries on.

Dave.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,218
Founder
elephant replied on Tue, Aug 18 2015 11:56 AM
Geoff Martin:

He's more of a "passive listening" kind of guy...

Me to a "T" Big Smile

Thanks for stepping into the debate

NB I have always been impressed by the A9

PS so is my daughter-in-law

PPS my wife is not Laughing

BeoNut since '75

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,280
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Tue, Aug 18 2015 12:10 PM
I've just updated the Beomusic app software as it has just been released and it does seem to work better.

Well thanks @Geoff for making it seem you can use 2 together! I may now have to use my 15% voucher to buy another one! I hope you never get to meet my wife - she'll kill you!

Dave
Geoff Martin
Top 150 Contributor
Struer, Denmark
Posts 604
Bronze Member

Dave Farr:
Well thanks @Geoff for making it seem you can use 2 together! I may now have to use my 15% voucher to buy another one! I hope you never get to meet my wife - she'll kill you! 

Hi Dave,

If I meet your wife, I'll be the first one to tell her that, although you bought a second A9, but you're only using half of each of them (on my recommendation...).

Children of the 70's learned that a Mutually Assured Destruction pact is a good method of self-preservation...

Cheers

-geoff

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,280
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Tue, Aug 18 2015 2:35 PM
Ah but Geoff, my wife is too clever for that and would say that 'if you're only using half of each one, then you bought the other half for no reason'. It would cost me another tattoo and a trip to the artist in Budapest!.

Dave.
Geoff Martin
Top 150 Contributor
Struer, Denmark
Posts 604
Bronze Member

Perhaps it's best if we never meet each other... ;-)

-g

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 13,424
Bronze Member

@Dave

Take the front cover of the second A9 with you to Budapest, then - or maybe both.

MM

Page 1 of 2 (48 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL