Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Upgrade to Beoplay V1 from Beovision 8-40

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 107 Replies | 4 Followers

mdwolman
Not Ranked
9 Posts
Bronze Member
mdwolman posted on Sat, Jun 16 2012 1:07 PM

Hi,

I've been offered a pretty good deal by my local dealership to trade in my existing Beovision 8-40 and get the V1. Apparently the screen and sound is much better but I'm just concerned I'm going to lose a lot of the "basiness" I get from the current speaker bar.

Anyone have any experience with the new TV? Advice would be much appreciated!

Many Thanks!

All Replies

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
8,219 Posts
Founder
Seems a better decision than rushing in and having years of regrets.

I shall have to give the V1 a thorough test ... and stay happy with my BV8s !

BeoNut since '75

Dude1
Not Ranked
27 Posts
Bronze Member
Dude1 replied on Tue, Jul 9 2013 4:27 AM

As an owner of the V1-40 in white - I thought I might give you some of my thoughts.

I love it. It's raw, edgy design profile is a Bauhaus dream.  It creates a lot of interest at my place - sure its a little smaller than I would really like, but biy, so my guests love it. They hear things they usually miss and keep remarking on the depth of the picture. 

But then some of my guests don't care for it - talking about the width of the chassis - the colour, the size compared to others on the market. But the reality is this. It's a B&O - albeit a Play - but you're always going to pay more for it. I find the picture superb. For the price, it's a steal - it wasn't long ago that a 40"LCD was $20k AUD.

But I also love the BV7 too.. I love it's design, iconic  - somehow strong, but light. I also love the BV5. That's a great TV - but I decided to go for the latest tech, panel etc and I thought the picture and sound and design was so different, drawing parallels that i had to go for it. It's also a size that I can use in a bedroom if I ever wanted to.

Sure, I could have bought the latest Samsung / LG / Panasonic or something similar. But for the smiles I get and are given from friends and family - the element of surprise with the V1 - I reckon its value for money.

rob08
Top 500 Contributor
209 Posts
Bronze Member
rob08 replied on Tue, Jul 9 2013 6:47 AM
I didn't like the picture of either the V1 or BV11 at the store but after adjusting some settings they both get beautiful picture.

I turned off the judder setting and turned off all so called picture enhancements. After that its a superb picture. If you can, go back to the dealer and try changing some settings.
The Beonic Man
Top 150 Contributor
Bristol
810 Posts
Gold Member

Well I will be visiting another shop in the same vicinity as the B&O store again next week Rob, so I could do this. The owner wasn't particularly accommodating with my requests beforehand so I am not sure just how helpful he will be this time round, we'll see.

I didn't talk about the design of the V1 in my previous post, which I was pleasantly surprised by. Judging from pictures I'd seen on the internet I didn't like it at all, much different in the flesh though, so to speak, and the metal bars on the side really aren't that bad although I'd still take them off and have it on a table stand instead. I did prefer the white to the black, the latter of which looked more dark grey to me than black anyway.

Played a DVD of early 90s comedy content to see how that looked as this would represent a lot of the type of programmes I would be watching at home; Only Fools and Horses, Fawlty Towers, One Foot in the Grave, Murder She Wrote, Quincy et al. None of them looked great as I thought might be the case. However, I was hoping they would look OK and watchable at least. My verdict was that they wouldn't, yet somehow on my Avant 32" they look crisp and clear. How is this possible with only a few inches different? Even on the 32" V1 they looked bad. Is this a flaw of LCD technology?

Looking at the way things are going I feel I will never buy another tv again, from any manufacturer, until OLED comes out at an affordable price. From what I read it seems this is the only technology likely to give me the kind of quality I am already used to or better. Flat screens only appear to be flat, and that is all.

All comments on the topic invited of course and my views are only my own.

BV11-46, BV8-32, V1-32, BS2, P6, A1, H95, E8, BR1, Beo4, Essence

markiedee
Top 200 Contributor
UK
425 Posts
Bronze Member

The last time i demoed the v1 was at home and i have to say that i was more impressed with it at home than i was in the shop.

Maybe because i was able to set the correct output settings and resolution output from my bluray player. The picture really did come into it's own then and i was really shocked by the quality of the image.

I find that B&0 set the sharpness levels to high which leads to ringing and sometimes picture noise, reducing the sharpness a bit resulted in an even better image.

I also find that it looks better with some of the stands from stb especially the new 360 degree rotating one, if i was buying a v1 thats the table stand i would use with it.

My other issue was the size i needed at least 46'' as 40'' is a little small for me now.

I would be the first to admit to my hate for the design of this tv when i first saw the pictures but i find that with the different stands available it makes the v1 look better.

Beoplay A2

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
1,451 Posts
Bronze Member

Dude 1 , you got a white V1 and matching Alfa Giulietta like your avatar?

ive got a red Giulietta but they don't offer a matching V1 . We got a white V1 and it certainly impresses in real life. 

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
5,355 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Wed, Aug 21 2013 2:35 PM

The_Beonic_Man:

Looking at the way things are going I feel I will never buy another tv again, from any manufacturer, until OLED comes out at an affordable price. From what I read it seems this is the only technology likely to give me the kind of quality I am already used to or better. 

Simon, OLED won't turn 80s poorly filmed TV programmes in to a watchable masterpiece. The reason why this looks so poor on an LCD, is due to an LCD displaying the picture at almost twice the height of the original. All the flaws from the original will be magnified on a 1080p panel. Even worse on a 4K panel. OLED 4K would make these programmes unwatchable.

It's not necessary a flaw of an LCD panel, it's the way technology as moved on from the original filming of these 80s programmes. Luckily old movies were filmed in such a high resolution, that they can still look great on a 1080p TV. All a modern TV will do is pick up on all the flaws of the original recording.

It's like digitally recording an old taped concert and wondering why you can hear a lot of hiss on your CD player.

Gennaro
Not Ranked
Bronx, NY
78 Posts
Bronze Member
I bought my wife a V1 40 in white for the kitchen as a Mother's Day gift.. Now, kids just love hanging around the kitchen just to see tv. Lol

I love the image, but what blew me away is the sound that this thing produces.. When people come over, they think there is a sound system hidden somewhere. Lol

They can't believe that it's coming from the TV set... Hahaha

Beovision 11-55, BeoPlay V1 40, Beosound 9000, Beolab 8000's and 3 Beocom 5's... Smile

vlohjr1
Top 150 Contributor
547 Posts
Bronze Member
gennaro:

I bought my wife a V1 40 in white for the kitchen as a Mother's Day gift.. Now, kids just love hanging around the kitchen just to see tv. Lol

I love the image, but what blew me away is the sound that this thing produces.. When people come over, they think there is a sound system hidden somewhere. Lol

They can't believe that it's coming from the TV set... Hahaha BeoPlay V1 40, Beosound 9000, Beolab 8000's and 3 Beocom 5's...

totally agree we use v140 a lot more as a tv and music centre in the kitchen and a good value tv

Vince
Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,793 Posts
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sat, Aug 24 2013 2:59 AM

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Rivenflush
Top 200 Contributor
Gothenburg
333 Posts
Bronze Member

Jeff: Catalogue picture - simply beautiful!

My B&O products: Beosound 9000, Beosound 2300, Beosound Century, Beolab 8000, Beolab 6000, Beolab 4000 x2, Beolab 3500, Beolab 2000, Beolab 10, Beolink Active x2, Beotime, Beo5 x2, Beo4, A9 keyring x2, LC2 dimmer x6 and growing....

vlohjr1
Top 150 Contributor
547 Posts
Bronze Member
Rivenflush:

Jeff: Catalogue picture - simply beautiful!

My B&O products: Beosound 2300, Beosound Century, Beolab 8000, Beolab 6000, Beolab 4000 x2, Beolab 2000, Beolink Active x2, Beotime, Beo5 x3, Beo4, A9 keyring x2, LC2 dimmer x6 and growing....

Agree well installed and stunning
Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
1,451 Posts
Bronze Member

""The V1 come out of any Samsung or Sony factory as far as looks go"

not really. It would be plastic .

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

The Beonic Man
Top 150 Contributor
Bristol
810 Posts
Gold Member

moxxey:

The_Beonic_Man:

Looking at the way things are going I feel I will never buy another tv again, from any manufacturer, until OLED comes out at an affordable price. From what I read it seems this is the only technology likely to give me the kind of quality I am already used to or better. 

Simon, OLED won't turn 80s poorly filmed TV programmes in to a watchable masterpiece. The reason why this looks so poor on an LCD, is due to an LCD displaying the picture at almost twice the height of the original. All the flaws from the original will be magnified on a 1080p panel. Even worse on a 4K panel. OLED 4K would make these programmes unwatchable.

It's not necessary a flaw of an LCD panel, it's the way technology as moved on from the original filming of these 80s programmes. Luckily old movies were filmed in such a high resolution, that they can still look great on a 1080p TV. All a modern TV will do is pick up on all the flaws of the original recording.

It's like digitally recording an old taped concert and wondering why you can hear a lot of hiss on your CD player.

Chris, drove over to Cribbs last weekend to see the latest Samsung curved OLED offering in 55" and all I can say is WOW! If you haven't checked out OLED yet then I would, as soon as you have the opportunity. Blew me away. Have to tell you too that I took some DVDs with me, one was Columbo, one of the earlier episodes and the other was Season 1 of Only Fools and Horses. Both looked excellent on the screen. There was obviously some very good upscaling going on from the DVD player but the pictures looked very very good taking up the whole 55" screen. The set is £7,000 and I am rather tempted I must say. Brilliant speaker integration too which is built into the frame of the tv, very cool. Picture quality generally out of this world. I also saw a Sony 4K (or Ultra HD) model which also was amazing and blew me away again in terms of its picture quality. That set was around £4,000 but I was advised by a staff member demonstrating the set to wait for later models as this current one won't actually display 4K content properly as the technology is changing again (agreed international standards etc) and apparently the set can't ne updated. Seems strange to me that but just passing on what was told to me on the day. Anyway, get along there if you can, must sees... Very excited by OLED personally. Simon.

BV11-46, BV8-32, V1-32, BS2, P6, A1, H95, E8, BR1, Beo4, Essence

Mikael
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
177 Posts
Bronze Member
Mikael replied on Sat, Oct 12 2013 11:03 PM

The HDMI 2.0 and UHD standards was first finalized after the current line of 4K models was released. Some sets can be upgraded, but upgrading a HDMI board can be costly. I've heard whispers about software upgrades, but frankly I wouldn't count on that with the reputation of the big manufacturers. They aren't exactly known for their great support of  last years sets. 

I would give you the same recommendation as your dealer; don't by the current line of 4K TVs. 

Beovision Eclipse gen2 (GX) w/ floorstand, Beolab 14.2, 4 speaker Shape and ATV4/Chromecast.

Beoplay A9mk4 GVA, Beosound 1 GVA, H2, H3, H8, E6, Beoplay EQ

Page 7 of 8 (108 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL