rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 38 Replies | 6 Followers

larseny
Not Ranked
9 Posts
Bronze Member
larseny posted on Fri, Jul 10 2015 11:28 AM

Hi.

I have a pair of Beolab 8000 speakers connected through a Beolab 2 to my Beosound 5 Encore.

One of the speakers suddenly started dropping out, and when doing so the LEd light turned orange. After a few power off and on and disconnecting power, it went back to working, only to next time do the same.

Now however, it only displays red light in standby and green light when turned on, however NO SOUND!

I thought when green light is on, all is OK, but obviously green light can be on and no sound comes out. I have switched back and forth on cables etc, so I know both outputs on the Beolab 2 are OK, so it is definitely the 8000 that's got a problem.

Any syggestions anyone? Fuses or something else.

This part of the world (UAE) is not the best to get these speakers fixed but if push comes to shove I will pack in my car and drive to Dubai to the dealer.

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

marc
Top 500 Contributor
netherlands
78 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Verified) marc replied on Mon, Jul 3 2017 9:19 AM
Verified by frog

I had the same problem a few weeks ago,'

When red and green LED work and no sound, the relais that powers the amp is not working, on 2 occasions the print traces on the bottom of the supply print where corroded of the print due to foamrot, soldered 2 wires to the relais instead of the traces and all was well!

(and replaced the foam!!!!)

All Replies

TTAli
Not Ranked
4 Posts
Bronze Member
TTAli replied on Tue, Jul 28 2015 6:49 PM

Thanks for your reply. I cleaned all the mess and found out that everything is in good shape. The wires, Circuit Board, Components all look nice.
But still no LED goes on. Have found the Service manual and trying to figure out where to messure. I am not sure how its trigged on. But the LED shoud be red when the speaker is off I think. Have also checked the fuses and all are good. Maybe i should leave it to the B&O service shop...:-)

Die_Bogener
Top 500 Contributor
192 Posts
Bronze Member

There is a small Standby transformer. It supplies the standby current for the Relais and the LED.

Whatever done, the red LED must work. If not, the transformer or the fuse or the rectifier etc is dead.

TTAli
Not Ranked
4 Posts
Bronze Member
TTAli replied on Wed, Jul 29 2015 1:52 PM

Thanks for reply. I checked the small transformer, there is 240V inn but nothing out. So this thing is dead. Any suggestion where to get hold of a New one?

Die_Bogener
Top 500 Contributor
192 Posts
Bronze Member

The standby transformer has the part number 8013473

I dont know the exact Rating, the standby Transformator has around  2x 18V or 2 x 24V

Maybe 100mA

FlyingNono
Not Ranked
Paris
24 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi Dillen
Thanks for your explanation, I suspected a problem related to the control standby of my BL8000, with your post I have directly repaired them.
-> command relay, thermistor feed, and some future cracks on a feeder.
Now, I have to change the foam... what kind of replacement can I use ?

Beobuddy:
Sorry for the short answer.

Wink

For Dillen & Beobuddy, Is it possible to buy genuine parts ?
Regards
Bruno

Many Vintages Lets have a Party !!!

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
3,475 Posts
Founder
Beobuddy replied on Sun, Jul 31 2016 12:34 PM

For me , it is.

FlyingNono
Not Ranked
Paris
24 Posts
Bronze Member

Should I translate you by "not for me in Paris" ? Unsure
If it's possible, buy genuine parts is the simpliest way but it's not really relevant for the foam, is it possible to replace it by an equivalent (which is ?)
I will be happy to have a good solution  Wink
Regards
Bruno

Dan
Not Ranked
Northeast Pennsylvania, United States
5 Posts
Bronze Member
Dan replied on Mon, Jul 3 2017 2:32 AM

Does anyone have pictures or instructions on how to clean or fix? Pictures?

The other question is if this happened to one of your speaker, are you pro active and just do the other speaker also or wait for that to go bad first?

larseny
Not Ranked
9 Posts
Bronze Member

I guess if there is foam rot short circuiting the IC board and solder post deterioration, it is a matter of whether you want to drag one speaker at a time for repair, or get them both done and over with. I chose the latter, better to be safe than sorry and sitting and listening to your just fixed speaker and then have the other go out. I have an even bigger problem which is maybe why do it now is better than later. I have two pairs of Beolab 5000 active flat panel speakers (the oldie but goodies and beautiful wall art). One has no problems soundwise but displays are dodgy. The others I believe the relays or circuit boards have gone, because they show the light and go click when plugged in, but do not turn on the amps when input is turned on, whether using BEO cables or RCA cables. So, in effect I have a pair of beautiful speakers that will not play (unless I use an outside amp and connect to the bypass inputs for this) and when I took them to the repair shop, first of all the guys could find no documents or schematics for them, so I downloaded them off the net and gave them to them. Secondly and more importantly, and I got this answer from a lady in DK too who is the B&O service manager, "we do not stock parts for speakers older than 13 years", so fu.. me, I am stuck. Anyone have parts - IC boards and/or switching relays for a pair of Beolab 5000's?

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
3,475 Posts
Founder

You're welcome to send the amps over. 

I've overhauled several sets, even some already defective. 

I would recommend to send both amplifiers. 

marc
Top 500 Contributor
netherlands
78 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Verified) marc replied on Mon, Jul 3 2017 9:19 AM
Verified by frog

I had the same problem a few weeks ago,'

When red and green LED work and no sound, the relais that powers the amp is not working, on 2 occasions the print traces on the bottom of the supply print where corroded of the print due to foamrot, soldered 2 wires to the relais instead of the traces and all was well!

FlyingNono
Not Ranked
Paris
24 Posts
Bronze Member

marc:

Hi Marc,
What kind of foam do you use for this remplacement ?
genuine parts or equivalent with some cut ?
Regards
nono

marc
Top 500 Contributor
netherlands
78 Posts
Bronze Member
marc replied on Mon, Jul 3 2017 10:26 AM

just bog standard acoustic foam.

FlyingNono
Not Ranked
Paris
24 Posts
Bronze Member

There are many standard ;-)
I presume you take same kind of grey foam acoustic ?
or is there an acoustic equivalent without risk of degradation ?

Regards

nono

marc
Top 500 Contributor
netherlands
78 Posts
Bronze Member
marc replied on Mon, Jul 3 2017 10:44 AM

well, the simple gray stuff works fine for me, i do not expect it to liquefy within 20 years, so....  SmileBig Smile

Page 2 of 3 (39 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL