Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 12,339
Bronze Member

Paul W:

Apple Music coming to SONOS...

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/06/28/apple-music-sonos/

Of course - Apple wants that piece of the cake too. It would be foolish not to.

But still - (unless they reconsidered) it is only one stream at the time.

if you are happy with 'partymode', you'll be fine with that.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,490
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Sun, Jun 28 2015 11:03 PM

Some people would be ecstatic with nothing but monaural sounds of barking dogs if provided by Apple. Personally, for streaming services, I think there's nothing wrong with either 256kps AAC or 320kps like Spotify, if the streaming services don't muck with the music either in level compression or frequency shaping, but I'm not confident any of them don't do that.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

beojeff
Top 75 Contributor
USA
Posts 1,536
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Mon, Jun 29 2015 12:41 PM

Jeff:

vikinger:

Thrre was a time when a shellac 78rpm disc was the pinnacle in HiFi. People can make themselves believe anything when it comes to justifying their expenditure on sound systems. The difference now is that even MP3 gives a quality beyond which even the most critical ear has difficulty in distiguishing as inferior to FLAC. We have reached a point where cheap downloads, streaming or web radio can give you superb quality that was unachievable 10 or more years ago. In a strange sort of way this should be the very time that B&O excels with its active speakers, and also with delivery systems that are really nice to use.

Graham

+1

AAC is a particularly good algorithm, and I've yet to find any golden eared audiophile who can tell the difference between 256kbs VBR AAC and wav. Might be someone out there who can, but I've not seen it. At least not in a properly controlled test, and that includes giving someone a disc with the AAC and wav file followed by randomly chosen A or B files.

Hard to convince someone to buy their music all over again though if you admit that though.

I cannot differentiate between 256 AAC and lossless. To me, consistency in music rips is important. Therefore, I subscribed to iTunes Match to match all of my music rips with iTunes store files. Then, I completely deleted my music library from my computer and from my BeoSound 5 (after making a backup, of course.) The next step was that I downloaded all of the matched files from the iTunes Match cloud. Now, my music library consists of music files from the iTunes store -- all with consistent 256 AAC quality. I've been very pleased with the result.

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,490
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Mon, Jun 29 2015 4:08 PM

beojeff:

I cannot differentiate between 256 AAC and lossless. To me, consistency in music rips is important. Therefore, I subscribed to iTunes Match to match all of my music rips with iTunes store files. Then, I completely deleted my music library from my computer and from my BeoSound 5 (after making a backup, of course.) The next step was that I downloaded all of the matched files from the iTunes Match cloud. Now, my music library consists of music files from the iTunes store -- all with consistent 256 AAC quality. I've been very pleased with the result.

Interesting approach. Would make files consistent, but I find that a lot of my music is unfortunately not on iTunes, the store that is, so that would leave huge holes. Which is also why as much as I like Spotify, and as good as it is at fleshing out my music collection and giving me new stuff, it is not good at coverage of a lot of artists in their older work,so I can't abandon iTunes for my CD rips, for either iTunes store music or Spotify.

Have you listened to a rip of yours vs. the iTunes version? I assume you did and found nothing to complain about in the iTunes store version.

Good idea to backup. I can't find a lot of my CDs after my move unfortunately, so the backup is about all I have of some of them, can't re-rip if the iTunes PC goes down.

Jeff

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 12,339
Bronze Member

To me it was never an either one or the other, as the streaming services came around.

But if I had to start from scratch now, I'd probably just buy a few CD's - those, that I can't find as a stream.

I'll definitely try Apple Music out, since it is free to try.

But in the long run, I'd go for a service, that allows multiple streams from one account = (at the moment) Deezer, because of the integration with B&O multiroom.

MM

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,490
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Mon, Jun 29 2015 5:35 PM

I'll be interested in trying Deezer if it ever gets to this country.

Jeff

vlohjr1
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 425
Bronze Member
vlohjr1 replied on Mon, Jun 29 2015 6:53 PM
Millemissen:

To me it was never an either one or the other, as the streaming services came around.

But if I had to start from scratch now, I'd probably just buy a few CD's - those, that I can't find as a stream.

I'll definitely try Apple Music out, since it is free to try.

But in the long run, I'd go for a service, that allows multiple streams from one account = (at the moment) Deezer, because of the integration with B&O multiroom.

MM

I wonder if bo would integrate tidal into the bvs
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 12,339
Bronze Member

vlohjr1:

I wonder if bo would integrate tidal into the bvs

(As I have written a couple of times), if Tidal or any other service would allow multiple streams from one account, I am sure the would.

Why shouldn't they?

MM

beojeff
Top 75 Contributor
USA
Posts 1,536
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Tue, Jun 30 2015 1:35 AM

Jeff:

beojeff:

Interesting approach. Would make files consistent, but I find that a lot of my music is unfortunately not on iTunes, the store that is, so that would leave huge holes. Which is also why as much as I like Spotify, and as good as it is at fleshing out my music collection and giving me new stuff, it is not good at coverage of a lot of artists in their older work,so I can't abandon iTunes for my CD rips, for either iTunes store music or Spotify.

Have you listened to a rip of yours vs. the iTunes version? I assume you did and found nothing to complain about in the iTunes store version.

Good idea to backup. I can't find a lot of my CDs after my move unfortunately, so the backup is about all I have of some of them, can't re-rip if the iTunes PC goes down.

Indeed, I've found the iTunes Store AAC versions to be better than my rips. Over the years, I had used different computers, Windows and Mac operating systems, and different codecs and bitrates to rip my CDs. It sounded great to have all of them be consistent! iTunes Match has some other benefits as well. For one, you always have an iTunes Store backup of all of your music on the cloud. Secondly, you can stream anything from your music collection on any iOS device or computer without needed to have the music stored on that device or computer. For example, I can connect my iPhone to my car stereo, voice my commands to Siri as to what music to play, and that music in my collection will start playing. All of this without needing to store the files on my iPhone. This is great when you have a very large music collection. I am hoping that if iTunes ever offers an upgrade in bitrate -- such as they did a few years ago when they upgraded to "iTunes Plus," that this will also make it easier to pay the upgrade fee to get the better files. However, I doubt I would be able to discern an improvement over 256 AAC as I certainly don't have Tonemeister-quality hearing at age 46.

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,490
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Tue, Jun 30 2015 5:42 AM

I ripped all of my music originally at 256kbps AAC VBR, only one or two things I got online were MP3s, and the early Apple 128kpbs iTunes stuff got updated when Apple went to 256. I had done some initial tests with lossless and felt that 256 was more than adequate and let me get more stiff in my iPad and iPhone. 

Ive hade problems with iTunes Match and the cloud, I had a lot of the usual iTunes mess where it takes a ripped album and spreads it all over and it's darned hard, lots of metadata editing and often you can't figure what's wrong and have to remove and reimport the files. iTunes is not the best program I've ever seen, and while doing this the cloud Match thing kept adding old, misfiled stuff back in and made editing problematic so I disabled it.might try it again after I do another full backup but not sure I'd use the admittedly useful functions much, I'm not used to using them. 

Jeff

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,490
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Tue, Jun 30 2015 5:42 AM

I ripped all of my music originally at 256kbps AAC VBR, only one or two things I got online were MP3s, and the early Apple 128kpbs iTunes stuff got updated when Apple went to 256. I had done some initial tests with lossless and felt that 256 was more than adequate and let me get more stiff in my iPad and iPhone. 

Ive hade problems with iTunes Match and the cloud, I had a lot of the usual iTunes mess where it takes a ripped album and spreads it all over and it's darned hard, lots of metadata editing and often you can't figure what's wrong and have to remove and reimport the files. iTunes is not the best program I've ever seen, and while doing this the cloud Match thing kept adding old, misfiled stuff back in and made editing problematic so I disabled it.might try it again after I do another full backup but not sure I'd use the admittedly useful functions much, I'm not used to using them. 

Jeff

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,490
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Tue, Jun 30 2015 5:43 AM

Great, triple post, that'll teach me to post from an iPad...

Jeff

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,490
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Tue, Jun 30 2015 3:13 PM

Triple post! That's what I get for using an iPad to post.

Jeff

Mark
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Tue, Jun 30 2015 6:54 PM
Just read Apple Music will launch in 100 countries on the 1st day where Spotify after eight years has not reached this type of penetration .....

Can Spotify's longevity stop Apple's steam roller.... Hopefully so as competition is a positive...

we tend to forget there is more to design than designing.

linder
Top 100 Contributor
United States
Posts 983
Founder
linder replied on Tue, Jun 30 2015 8:46 PM

Mark:
Just read Apple Music will launch in 100 countries on the 1st day where Spotify after eight years has not reached this type of penetration .....

Can Spotify's longevity stop Apple's steam roller.... Hopefully so as competition is a positive...

Apple Music has already been launched.  I have been listening to it for about 3 hours.  

Mark
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Tue, Jun 30 2015 9:01 PM
linder:

Apple Music has already been launched. I have been listening to it for about 3 hours.

not allowed to download the latest version of iOS until I've done the washing up [:\'(]

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,218
Founder
linder:

Apple Music has already been launched. I have been listening to it for about 3 hours.

I "tuned in" to Beats 1 at around 9:30 PST and listened for 30 minutes - I was quite pleased with what I heard.

I also browsed around while listening and did a "Listen Offline" for more than 60 tracks, so that when I went for a walk this morning I had a supply of different music.

This is what I listened to/ got under their "Game Time!" playlist ...

BeoNut since '75

Andrew
Top 100 Contributor
Frinton, UK
Posts 817
Silver Member
Andrew replied on Wed, Jul 1 2015 8:17 AM

Anyone know when it will be available on Apple TV?

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,218
Founder
elephant replied on Wed, Jul 1 2015 10:58 AM
Andrew:

I saw a mention in one of the Apple forums / blogs that it was coming later this year.

I was surprised and disappointed

My bet (clutching at straws) is that its release may coincide with a new black / aluminium box !

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,218
Founder
elephant replied on Wed, Jul 1 2015 11:04 AM
Hi folks ... I have installed the new iTunes on both Yosemite and El Capitan as well as iOS on both iPads and iPhones.

I will be testing iTunes / BeoPort (Net-Music) integration.

At the moment it appears that BM-Link does not work. [:\'(]

I have yet to test LinkPlayers Mark I or II.

I recommend younpause adopting the latest iTunes until I get back to this forum.

Give me about 24 hours please --- thanks.

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,218
Founder
elephant replied on Wed, Jul 1 2015 12:27 PM
Andrew:

Or use an iPad to drive the ATV ?

Some of Sue's tests tonight from her iPad ... Projected to our ATV

BeoNut since '75

Paul W
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Wed, Jul 1 2015 12:37 PM

I believe Apple Music will indeed launch in the Autumn with the launch of the new ATV4.

The sound quality from Beats 1 sounds incredible. They are using the latest all digital studios with Studer 1500 digital mixing desks :)

The new iOS update seems to have made iPhone 4s etc really fast again. The only thing that I don't like is that the album artwork is small now with lots of white space underneath which I thought was the opposite of what Apple was doing as I thought that they greatly wanted to promote album art.

Raeuber
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,542
Bronze Member
Raeuber replied on Wed, Jul 1 2015 5:09 PM
I listened today to Beats 1 radio for some hours. Some interesting new songs I never heard were very pleaseful. But in most songs black men were talking (some might say they were singing Big Smile) with boom boom in the background. I'm sure Beats 1 is not for my generation, I guess you have to listen for six months to Beats 1 until you can hear a song from Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones...

But Apple Music is great, it will be successful with no doubt. Although I miss many songs, but this is the same with Spotify.

Regards

Räuber
elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,218
Founder
Testing update

For several hours I have been testing the following combinations on various Macs:

Tests = { Yosemite | El Capitan } X { BM-Link | LinkPlayer I | LinkPlayer II }

and whilst they have all worked after a fashion I have encountered ugh frustration - even rerunning cables at one point as I was convinced a lack of responses meat a faulty cable or worse a fried BeoPort.

My tentative conclusion is that Apple Music's iTunes is sufficiently different from previous versions of iTunes as to generate issues and instabilities: I have had at least two auto-reboots by my Yosemite system !

Of course none of three applications can select the new sources: they only know about tracks, playlists, etc.

However I am currently listening via LinkPlayer I to a curated playlist that I had saved as offline on my iPhone at which turned up automagically in the iTunes' playlists list. Note the tracks had not been downloaded (they had be on the iPhone) but they are being pulled (streamed) from the iCloud Library.

My conclusion is that this is very early days: I am sure the Yosemite and Apple Music for a large home library has a bug -- or the USB BeoPort interactions are triggering freezes and reboots.

I am also sure that my El Capitan with its Yosemite level of Apple Music iTunes is an unsupported buggy combination.

However I think I have taken it as far as I can today.

My recommendations are:

1. If you have a heavy dependency on iTunes, Net-Music and the BeoPort then please WAIT for Philippe to provide to insights about LP I and/or LP II

2. If you use BM-Link I would still be cautious in case some of the issues I encountered are Apple related

3. If you have a spare Mac and BeoPort then please weigh in with some of your own tests Smile

Thanks

BeoNut since '75

dilznik
Not Ranked
Posts 29
Bronze Member
dilznik replied on Thu, Jul 2 2015 6:48 AM

I wonder if maybe BM-Link is incompatible with El Cap rather than the new iTunes?

dilznik
Not Ranked
Posts 29
Bronze Member
dilznik replied on Thu, Jul 2 2015 6:48 AM

I wonder if maybe BM-Link is incompatible with El Cap rather than the new iTunes?

dilznik
Not Ranked
Posts 29
Bronze Member
dilznik replied on Thu, Jul 2 2015 6:50 AM

Don't click Post twice rookie!

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,218
Founder
dilznik:

Perhaps.

However there is no official iTunes for the beta program (I believe).

Even the new Music app only gets delivered to beta testers of iOS 9 next week (according to rumours).

BeoNut since '75

Mark
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Thu, Jul 2 2015 4:55 PM

Home Sharing is no longer available on iTunes iOS8.4 ....

give with one hand at $14.99 while taketh away with the other 

Raeuber
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,542
Bronze Member
Raeuber replied on Thu, Jul 2 2015 6:35 PM
Mark:

give with one hand at $14.99 while taketh away with the other

Yes that is very sad, but on Apple TV it still works.

Apple wants to make money with 'Apple Music', because they are so poor!
Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Thu, Jul 2 2015 7:01 PM

Raeuber:

I only used Home sharing to access libraries on my ATV, and allow my wife and I to have access to each other's libraries from iTunes on our respective Macs -- this functionality is still there. I can't recall a time when I needed it on iOS. That's just me. That being said, I've been reading on Apple Discussion forums of many many many folks who have a right to be PO'd at this removal. I guess I was an edge case who never used it.

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,490
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Thu, Jul 2 2015 7:18 PM

No big deal! I'm sure Apple knows what's best for all of us, and are sure this is what we need. After all, their beneficence cannot be doubted, and I'm sure the ghost of Steve Jobs is looking down smiling and taking care of us all!

Jeff

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Thu, Jul 2 2015 10:37 PM

After reading a lot of the articles and forum posts (elsewhere) on this deletion with the new SW upgrade, if there were indeed licensing issues with home streaming, a reasonable implementation / compromise is to allow the now deprecated home sharing to work only on actual purchased music, rather than any music at all which can be accessed by the AppleID being used.

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,490
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Fri, Jul 3 2015 4:00 AM

I've been listening to it, couple of observations...

first, they do a poor job of level matching songs volume and

secomd, the gaps between songs seems excessive.

so far I don't see any reason to dump Spotify. 

Jeff

dilznik
Not Ranked
Posts 29
Bronze Member
dilznik replied on Fri, Jul 3 2015 4:57 AM

Short story:  I tried out Yosemite with BM-Link and iTunes 12.2 (Apple Music) using my old MacBook Pro.  It worked.

Long version in the Mac forum in Elephant's thread.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,218
Founder
A collation of criticisms ...

http://9to5mac.com/2015/07/02/apple-music-launch-issues/

BeoNut since '75

Andrew
Top 100 Contributor
Frinton, UK
Posts 817
Silver Member
Andrew replied on Fri, Jul 3 2015 1:18 PM

I'm quite happy with it - looking forward to it being available on ATV as well

When I move I will have two apple TV units - thinking may as well hook them both up to the TV so that I can have different music in different rooms or play different films - seems like a good way of using them and having multiroom capability controlled either through link TVs or apple iphone/pad and shows just how good the original masterlink stuff is - not bad for technology that's really old!

Raeuber
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,542
Bronze Member
Raeuber replied on Fri, Jul 3 2015 1:59 PM
Andrew:

I'm quite happy with it - looking forward to it being available on ATV as well

When I move I will have two apple TV units - thinking may as well hook them both up to the TV so that I can have different music in different rooms or play different films - seems like a good way of using them and having multiroom capability controlled either through link TVs or apple iphone/pad and shows just how good the original masterlink stuff is - not bad for technology that's really old!

Hello Andrew,

I agree with you in general regarding the outstanding technology of 'good old' masterlink.

But don't forget: Sound and video distribution to linkrooms is only possible analogue, so it's not enough to connect ATV only by HDMI to mainroom Beovision. For distribution of sound you need an audio-digital-to-analogue converter, and this works very good. But for distribution of video it would be more difficult and the picture quality in linkrooms would be not really acceptable (SD and not HD), especially if you want to watch HD movies from the ITunes store.

I would recommend to connect an Apple TV to each Beovision in mainroom and linkrooms. Also because ATVs are very cheap.

Regards

Räuber
Paul W
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Fri, Jul 3 2015 2:05 PM

And don't forget, you get have up to FIVE ATV's from your iTunes ID account AS WELL AS FIVE Apple products too (iPhone, MacBook, iPad etc) :)

I'm loving Apple TV just for VIMEO. Such a beautiful channel/platform.

Hope the V1 replacement is really something special!

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 12,339
Bronze Member

Paul W:

Hope the V1 replacement is really something special!

Who spoke of 'replacement'?

MM

Page 3 of 5 (165 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL