B&O tube amplifier Forstærker U22

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 24 Replies | 1 Follower

the_o_master
Top 100 Contributor
856 Posts
Bronze Member
the_o_master posted on Thu, May 28 2015 10:06 AM

Here the little story about my newest B&O acquisition. Probably interesting only for very few of you, real vintage fans and collectors.

Few months ago I was on the way to get the High Fidelity Stereo Amplifier 610 from a gentlemen from Denmark. I was not quick enough and device was sold already. But we had a very pleasant communication and the seller promised he would ask few friends of him if they could find another specimen of this amp or other devices from my "wanted list". Few weeks latter he wrote me back with good news. He offered me the Beolab 610 and 2 other B&O tube amps too. I was very happy to hear that one of those was the Type HF Amplifier (also known as 911 H44). The second one was one I never heard about, the Amplifier U22?! I tried to find any information on the internet about this model but there were neither pictures nor any technical details about it.

What I've done? Of course I wrote Martin (dillen) an E-Mail and he confirmed that this was an "regular" B&O item. He sent me few pictures and even the schematics for it (thanks again Martin for all your support!).

Here one of the pictures I got from Martin.

The pics I got from seller (actually from his fellow, an older gentlemen, who is selling out his collection) were not the best one and I couldn't know lot about technical and optical condition of them. But we could have agreed on price and I bought all 3 amps...

Few weeks latter I got the first package. Wouhhh, that was the big one, with 2 older amps, weight ca. 30kg but very well packed.

Today I finally found some time and packed it out. Both amps arrived in good shape. I made few shots in my storage (unfortunately very bad light) and here they are.

And here few pictures of the second one (Amplifier Type HF, 911H44). The seller sent me even 2 sheets of matching veneer!

It will be for sure a big and long project to get them shining and sounding good again but with support of my good fellow Robert (and of course with helpful tips and docs from Martin) I hope it will be a successful one.

The main reason to post this little story is at least to offer few pictures (and latter maybe technical details too) about this (for me) unknown and very rare amplifier U22 to the people who are eventually looking for it.

I will post more details in the coming weeks and months.

Cheers!

Theomaster

Vintage Bang & Olufsen

All Replies

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
12,988 Posts
Founder

The original UCH21 was replaced with UAF42 and transformer 973L48 was added to change the gramophone input from Micro Sapphire to Micro Magnet.
Yours must be the older version, then.

Could you provide photos of the underside of the chassis, - and also of the area where a part seems to be missing?

Martin

the_o_master
Top 100 Contributor
856 Posts
Bronze Member

Dillen:

Could you provide photos of the underside of the chassis, - and also of the area where a part seems to be missing?

Hi Martin,

sorry for the delayed reply. The amp is still at Robert and he is at the moment very busy.  As soon as he can find some time, he will take the pictures and I will post them here.

Thanks for your efforts,

Theomaster

Vintage Bang & Olufsen

the_o_master
Top 100 Contributor
856 Posts
Bronze Member

Dillen:

Hi Martin,

here 2 pictures of the U22, of the underside and of the chassis.

Theomaster

Vintage Bang & Olufsen

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
12,988 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Thu, May 10 2018 9:30 PM

Thanks,
I can see the holes you've marked and I will give it some thought.
But what is that potentiometer doing, sticking out the back between the sockets? Is it fastened like that from factory?

Martin

the_o_master
Top 100 Contributor
856 Posts
Bronze Member

Double...

Vintage Bang & Olufsen

the_o_master
Top 100 Contributor
856 Posts
Bronze Member

Finally I found somebody who would try to re-produce those 2 shields for the U22 amp as they are in pretty bad condition. To create a vector file for the production (eloxal) it would be nice to know which font type was used by B&O after the WW2 (the U22 amplifier was produced 1948 according to Rudy).

So anybody who can help with this information about the font type?

Thanks in advance.

Theomaster

Vintage Bang & Olufsen

Hugo
Not Ranked
33 Posts
Bronze Member
Hugo replied on Fri, Dec 21 2018 11:21 PM

Aqui esta à venda se ajudar.

Regards

https://leilao.catawiki.pt/kavels/23192029-bang-olufsen-xxx-rare-b-o-tube-amplifier-forstaerker-u22-only-2-known-in-the-world-amplificador-a-valvulas

Hugo
Not Ranked
33 Posts
Bronze Member
Hugo replied on Fri, Dec 21 2018 11:21 PM

Aqui esta à venda se ajudar.

Regards

https://leilao.catawiki.pt/kavels/23192029-bang-olufsen-xxx-rare-b-o-tube-amplifier-forstaerker-u22-only-2-known-in-the-world-amplificador-a-valvulas

the_o_master
Top 100 Contributor
856 Posts
Bronze Member

"only 2 known in the world!"

Not sure if it can be true but not bad if it is so. Tjan I have one of 2 😁

Anyway this one offered here looks little bit different as mine. At least wooden case has not the same shape...

Vintage Bang & Olufsen

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
12,988 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Tue, Dec 25 2018 9:39 AM

I know of five (if I remember correctly) plus the one in the ad. That makes six.
Most I have seen were sold as separate units, with their own complete cabinet etc.

The one in the catawiki ad was apparently cut from a gramophone furniture, like the one Rudy showed earlier.
Only the rear panel and the metal shield on the front panel is original. No other cabinet parts appears to be original, making the statement
"The item is in original condition and all parts are there" just as untrue as "no info can be found on the web".

Could be interesting to snap it up and check what's in the position of the two vacant screwholes...

Martin

Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL