Chaka
Top 500 Contributor
Chicago
312 Posts
Bronze Member
Chaka posted on Thu, Jun 7 2012 11:31 AM

Hello guys.

Hope you are all well.

Somebody offered me a century with serial number starting with 1231xxxxx  (assuming 1997?).

Can somebody please tell me if this unit has the laser mechanism that moves in an arc, or moves in a linear line.  They do not understand what I am talking about when I ask the question, and the unit is in the colour combination that I was looking for (they live interstate, so I cannot view it).

I am assuming if it has the mechanism moving in an arc, the laser is probably getting tired and is too hard to fix.  If it is the newer unit that moves in a straight line vertically, it may be easier to replace if there is any trouble.

I got rid of my century a long time ago, and would like to get another one for the bedroom (I miss her).

Any advice would much be appreciated. 

Thank you!! Smile

All Replies

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,575 Posts
Bronze Member

Rex:

Hello guys.

Hope you are all well.

Somebody offered me a century with serial number starting with 1231xxxxx  (assuming 1997?).

Can somebody please tell me if this unit has the laser mechanism that moves in an arc, or moves in a linear line.  They do not understand what I am talking about when I ask the question, and the unit is in the colour combination that I was looking for (they live interstate, so I cannot view it).

I am assuming if it has the mechanism moving in an arc, the laser is probably getting tired and is too hard to fix.  If it is the newer unit that moves in a straight line vertically, it may be easier to replace if there is any trouble.

I got rid of my century a long time ago, and would like to get another one for the bedroom (I miss her).

Any advice would much be appreciated. 
Thank you!! Smile

Hello Rex,

Im not sure but I thought all century had a laser that moved straight. By the way, the never centurys have an aluminum plate instead of the regular black one. Perhaps you should try getting one of those? They are very nice and not fragile, I had one for many many years.

Beolab 50, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9 3rd Gen, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Eclipse Gen 2 55", BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
1,810 Posts
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Thu, Jun 7 2012 12:49 PM

Yeah Michael is right! I think the aluminium plate was introduced around 1998 as I remember gazing at the Century in my B&O agents throughout the whole of 1999 (and bought one that Christmas).  I remember the one in the window had a Maxell Vertex cassette tape in it ;)

Classy system suited for 'easy listening' music as it does tend to sound rather lifeless with dance music. I remember the cassette deck was capable of making very very clear high quality recordings! Plus it played those pre-recorded cassettes with finesse!

I guess the direct replacement to the Century is the BS8 / A8 Airplay - All iconic in their design!

Chaka
Top 500 Contributor
Chicago
312 Posts
Bronze Member
Chaka replied on Thu, Jun 7 2012 1:17 PM

Thanks guys. 

It has an chrome clamper, but these were limited edition before they became standard.  I know the unit is definitely not a boom box, but plays acoustic / jazz and vocals very nicely, even at higher volumes, much clearer and detailed than a boom box. 

I am just concerned that if it is the older mechanism I won't be able to get it fixed if it does the dirty.  I have a 9500 with a laser that moves in an arc.  The mechanism went, and the local B&O repairer could not fix it.  I had to get a spare from UK.  Just don't want that headache again.

If anyone has a century with an arc shaped mechanism, have they found it to be reliable?  I heard if the unit does go, it is just something to do with PCB's, the same as the 9500's, but in saying that, my CD unit couldn't be fixed locally in the 9500.

Thanks again...  Stick out tongue

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
1,810 Posts
Bronze Member

Rex

There should be a date of manufacture on the serial number! I guess you should be able to tell from that, once you've got the year, either ask a well informed B&O dealer or maybe try the technical department at B&O Denmark!  Gotta say mine still plays CDs. Tape deck doesnt work - it stopped in 2005, I think its a simple belt that needs replacing.  Gotta say, that all of my music is on my iPhone & MacBook these days.   But, if you love CDs then you will love the compact art of the Century!  On a totally different note, I was really impressed with that little BeoLit12.  I would love to know the demographic who is buying it!

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
5,423 Posts
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Thu, Jun 7 2012 10:01 PM

Century's have both, arc and straight laser units!

Brengen & Ophalen

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
1,810 Posts
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Thu, Jun 7 2012 10:31 PM

Damn how confusing! I don't know what either means?

Chaka
Top 500 Contributor
Chicago
312 Posts
Bronze Member
Chaka replied on Fri, Jun 8 2012 12:35 PM

Now you're getting me confused! 

I'll just buy the thing and take a punt!! 

WOOF WOOF!!  Big Smile

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
1,810 Posts
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Fri, Jun 8 2012 12:43 PM

Rex,

On a different note, the Century has always been highly sensitive to fingerprints on a CD since new and volume above 44 does cause the CD player to skip alarmingly and rather embarrassingly so not one for a party! It's a real shame that B&O allowed this serious flaw in its development.

I'm guessing it's not exactly the most expensive or high quality mechanism used it in unfortunately! My old Technics SLP550 CD player never skipped once!

Chaka
Top 500 Contributor
Chicago
312 Posts
Bronze Member
Chaka replied on Fri, Jun 8 2012 12:57 PM

You must have got a dodgy one!!  It's a reasonable Phillips mechanism.  I used to crank mine and never had a problem with skipping, even if it was a bass heavy or funk track!!

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
1,810 Posts
Bronze Member

Most of been a dodgy batch as the first one had the same problem. This was exchanged after 2 days as the glass door was scratched and the electric door did not like the reflection of light from my wooden floor! (so refused to close!)

Wireless John
Not Ranked
Northumberland
1 Posts
Bronze Member
Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL