rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 31 Replies | 1 Follower

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,578 Posts
Bronze Member
Michael posted on Mon, May 4 2015 8:53 AM

I am considering purchasing a used BeoSystem 5500 set (cd/tape/amp/turntable) for my C75/CX100´s. Not sure if it is the right choice but what would you guys do?

Beolab 50, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9 3rd Gen, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Eclipse Gen 2 55", BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

All Replies

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
2,361 Posts
Silver Member
I have a hum from the speakers due to some caps or something that needs to be changed in the power supply according to other members.

I had to resolver the rca-connectors, one had come lose.

Otherwise it is a very stable unit.

Just remember to remove old timers Stick out tongue

"You think we can slap some oak on this thing?"

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,578 Posts
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Sun, May 10 2015 11:59 AM

Today I took delivery of the BeoSystem 5500 and I am very pleased to have it here at my office now.

It got some marks and small dents which is OK, it is from 1987 after all. I now have to clean it up, put some new feet on the different boxes, get batteries for the master control panel and test the system. The only "box" I tried was the CD and it seems to have some issues. The tray won't open fully.

The seller said the system was in good condition when it was last in use and I believe him. Perhaps the rubber band is dried up after having been in storage for a long time. I will leave it as it is for now and let it set in my office for a few days.

A funny thing is that all the original price tags are still there (except for the remote). The prices was:
Beogram 5500: 3625 sek
Beogram CD 5500: 6995 sek
Beocord 5500: 6295 sek
Beomaster 5500: 7695 sek

That is a total of 24 610 sek, it would today be around 53 900 sek, or 6520 usd, 5820 euro or 4212 gbp.

Ben_S
Top 150 Contributor
UK
631 Posts
Bronze Member
Ben_S replied on Sun, May 10 2015 12:08 PM

Michael, 

Great work, that is interesting as regards the prices! It is a great set and really useful as an everyday stereo I find.

And of course you got a bargain which is always good! 

Ben

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
2,361 Posts
Silver Member
I think thought the index had tripled since '87. I once calculated the what my grandfather paid for his stuff, and I almost *** my pants Whistle

Andrew
Top 100 Contributor
Frinton, UK
917 Posts
Bronze Member
Andrew replied on Mon, May 11 2015 3:50 PM

There is a battery in them that eventually fails, it did in my 6500 but so far the 5500 is ok - loads of info on these forums as I think it has been covered quite a bit. Tell tale signs are that when you power off at the mains, the beomaster loses all it's settings and has to be reprogrammed - not a problem if you leave it plugged in though!

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,578 Posts
Bronze Member

Ben_S:

Michael, 

Great work, that is interesting as regards the prices! It is a great set and really useful as an everyday stereo I find.

And of course you got a bargain which is always good! 

Ben

Thanks Ben!

I've been playing a little with the units today and the turntable seems to work fine, but it lacks a needle (which I knew).
The cassette player acts strange, it won't open/close on its own. I guess the engine, or more probably so the belt that is worn out.
The CD player is acting very weird, opening a bit but not all the way. Won't close on it´s own and it makes a strange electrical noise when its doing its open the tray business. Putting a disc in it will make it start spin up at very high speed and sound very strange (and become unresponsive). I have to pull the power plug to get it to stop.

Took the casing of and it hard to see anything wrong inside on a quick look. Moving the tray manually is easy though.

I don't have any speakers connected but the beomaster seems to work, at least I get the radio buzzing noise (no antenna connected) through my headphones.

And since I don't have batteries for the remote I can't really do much for now. 

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
2,283 Posts
Gold Member

Sounds like the doors/trays need new belts to sort out the opening/closing issues.  I think these will need some TLC and new capacitors and a clean and lubrication is in order.  Covered many times here on the Forum.

Have fun with them.

Dave.

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,578 Posts
Bronze Member

Dave Farr:

Sounds like the doors/trays need new belts to sort out the opening/closing issues.  I think these will need some TLC and new capacitors and a clean and lubrication is in order.  Covered many times here on the Forum.

Have fun with them.

Dave.

Hey Dave!

Sounds just about right. Do you know where I can find new belts for them? I can imagine them being special in some way or another. I bought a new belt for my old beosound 2500 once but it was quite expensive.  

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
2,283 Posts
Gold Member

First call for any B&O belts is member 'Dillen'.  Send him an email or message via his Bio.  If he hasn't got them, he will know where to get the best ones.

Dave.

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,578 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks for the advice Dave, I will do so. But in the mean time I was bored after work so I was looking at the logic board. Being bored I thought "why not press around on the board where I see pin-outs for IC´s? So I did that with the plastic end of a screwdriver and what happens? See for yourself below: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gs31-cnXq8

(The disc stops since it is just filled with data and not music)

BO
Top 150 Contributor
Halmstad, Sweden
728 Posts
Bronze Member
BO replied on Wed, May 13 2015 7:17 AM

Michael:
And since I don't have batteries for the remote I can't really do much for now. 

Should also work with a BL1000/Beo4

//Bo.
A long list...

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,578 Posts
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Wed, May 13 2015 10:29 AM

BO:
Should also work with a BL1000/Beo4

I have some Beo4 over at home but I want to try the MCP :-) I am buying batteries this evening!

Besides that, I have just tried the BeoGram CD 5500 and wow, it sounds amazing. I just have a pair of headphones with me today (BeoPlay H3) and since the player only has a PLAY/FF button and the Beomaster doesn't even have a volume control the only thing I can do is to listen :) (Mmm, minimalism!).

The BeoGram CD5500 has a CDM4-11 and the amazing TDA1541(A) DAC. I didn't know this when I bought the kit so I am very happy to learn this. Even though I probably won't play CD´s very often it is nice to have such a delicate and nice quality product.

I also took a closer look on the MMC4 cartridge for the turntable and I am not sure in what condition it is in. I took a picture, perhaps someone here can tell me if anything can be done to fix it or if it is useless?

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
2,361 Posts
Silver Member
My MCP5500 is resting happily on a shelf. Big Smile

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
2,283 Posts
Gold Member

The MMC4 cartridge looks intact but it will probably be suyffering from the well know suspension failure.  This makes the cantilever 'flop around' and it will sound distorted.  It can be retipped/rebuilt to any of the MMC1-5 specifications by Axel at:

https://www.schallplattennadeln.de/REPARATUR-RETIPPING/B-O-MMC-SYSTEM-Reparatur/Reparatur-MMC-1-2-3-4-5-mit-sphaerischer-Diamant-N.html

Enjoy your system.

Dave.

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,578 Posts
Bronze Member

Dave Farr:

The MMC4 cartridge looks intact but it will probably be suyffering from the well know suspension failure.  This makes the cantilever 'flop around' and it will sound distorted.  It can be retipped/rebuilt to any of the MMC1-5 specifications by Axel at:

https://www.schallplattennadeln.de/REPARATUR-RETIPPING/B-O-MMC-SYSTEM-Reparatur/Reparatur-MMC-1-2-3-4-5-mit-sphaerischer-Diamant-N.html

Enjoy your system.

Dave.

Not so sure about that, it has already scratched against the metal plate when I tried it without a (whatever a disc for a turntable is called). Perhaps I should try it with a (whatever a disc for a turntable is called). 

Page 2 of 3 (32 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL