rated by 0 users
This post has 19 Replies | 2 Followers

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal Posted: Mon, Feb 23 2015 5:22 AM

I just thought I'd write a simple post to my fellow Beoworlders sharing how happy I am with my new Beolab 9's. Holy Cow. I've never owned a pair of speakers which have this degree of detail and control. 

I know some of you have owned beolab 9's for years, and others own Beolab 5's so this may sound like old hat, but bear with me...

Now that I've had them playing for a few days now, all I can say is that my brain has to get acclimated to their sound. And not in a bad way. I knew they were powerful, so my neanderthal ears expected the sound to be boomy and just plain loud if driven; but I was wrong. Yes, they can play hard if they're asked to do so... 

The sound is tight, crisp, oh so clear, and never seems out of control. Some of my favorite pieces sound gloriously different -- I hear new things in them now  --  and others, well, since the speakers seem to  bring out everything in the recording, poor recordings sound poor. I hear that now. The 9's have no mercy, and that's a good thing IMHO.

I know these speakers aren't Beolab 20's or Beolab 5's, but I'm in love. And I thought I would share. 

As I type this I'm listening to Philip Glass: Satyagraha Act 3, Part 3 (Evening Song). It is a beautiful, delicate piece with tenor Douglas Perry singling a simple melody over the orchestra, then over arpeggios played by woodwinds. I've listened to this piece hundreds of times, and this is the first time it sounds the way it does now. I hear the detail in the flutes, piccolos, clarinets, and the weight of the tenor isn't drowned by the cellos toward the end. WOW.

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,425
Bronze Member

Hi Sal

Thanks for your post.  This is what Beoworld is for :-)

The 9s were my favourite speakers for a very long time.  I loved their simplicity in design and I always thought (for me) that they were superior to the Lab 5s which I always though that design was not really for me.

Back then I could never afford a pair of 9s and now I have come to realise that there are so many more speakers that are double triple and even 10 times the price that don't have what the 9s have. 

I had the opportunity to listen to the 20s , and I appreciate you state they are not 20s, next to the 9s, and that brings me to the conundrum, that in the future I hope to be fortunate enough to own a pair of 20s.  I never thought that they could better the 9 design, but I love both the 9 and the 20. 

In my back room I have no room for them at all.

In my front room however, if I ever get to the point of having another B&O TV, it would be a wall mounted 11 with a pair of 20s, or 9s.  

Thanks for your post.  It's funny because when i read it, that's how i first felt when i listened to my pair of head phones the A8s (i think that's what they were called back then) - i could hear things in them i can't hear before, and that's what started my affair with B&O.  From a simple pair of headphones has turned in to a TV and speakers lol. 

I don't listen to classical music, but I will look up Philip Glass.  Yesterday I was playing "Princess of China" by Cold Play and Rhianna through the Apple TV and I was thinking man the quality is bad.  But then i realised my speaker group was mono.  I then changed it to Music and whammoooooo .  I would love to listen to that song on a pair of 9s. 

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,218
Founder
elephant replied on Mon, Feb 23 2015 6:44 AM
Sal

I am very very happy for you

Enjoy !!!

BeoNut since '75

Dave
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 126
Bronze Member
Dave replied on Mon, Feb 23 2015 8:21 AM

These are definitely a good speaker if you cant afford beolab 5's.

I have had mine for years and they are really sensitive to placement like most floor speakers but when you find a good spot, they are orgasmic to the ears and other senses!

Congratulations!

Luke
Not Ranked
Brisbane Australia
Posts 59
Bronze Member
Luke replied on Mon, Feb 23 2015 8:35 AM

Congratulations!  I've had a love hate relationship with my BL9's but you can't argue that they are fantastic value for money and they look fantastic as well.  As Dave says placement is quite important to get the best out of the ALT but once set up correctly they are great.  

I'll be taking delivery of BL5's next week and have a huge dilemma!  I can't justify such great speakers being relegated as rear channel speakers but I have no other areas to use them in and I can't see myself parting with them. I have a problem!

BL90, BL5 x 2, BL9, BL8000 x 2, Penta III x 2, Penta II, BL2, BL4, BL2500, RL6000 x 3, MS150, MS150.2, A9, A1, A2, P2, Beolit 12/17, S70, CX50, CX100, Beovox 2500, BS9000 x 2, BS3000, BS4, BC2, BS1,  Moment, Essence MkII x 2, BS5 Encore, BG8002, BC8002, BM8002, BG5500, BV7-40 MkIII, BV11-55, BV Avant 85", BC5, H8, E8, Form 2, A8...Serene

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,218
Founder
elephant replied on Mon, Feb 23 2015 8:46 AM
Hey Luke, why "hate" ?

BeoNut since '75

Luke
Not Ranked
Brisbane Australia
Posts 59
Bronze Member
Luke replied on Mon, Feb 23 2015 9:14 AM

Lack of midrange that corresponded to placement was my greatest issue but have been happy with them since.

I haven't auditioned the BL5 in my environment but I hope for it to be a step up.  I didn't want any opportunity for my partner to tell me to take them back!

BL90, BL5 x 2, BL9, BL8000 x 2, Penta III x 2, Penta II, BL2, BL4, BL2500, RL6000 x 3, MS150, MS150.2, A9, A1, A2, P2, Beolit 12/17, S70, CX50, CX100, Beovox 2500, BS9000 x 2, BS3000, BS4, BC2, BS1,  Moment, Essence MkII x 2, BS5 Encore, BG8002, BC8002, BM8002, BG5500, BV7-40 MkIII, BV11-55, BV Avant 85", BC5, H8, E8, Form 2, A8...Serene

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Badsey, UK
Posts 3,349
Gold Member
Sal , that was better than any lifestyle magazine or audiophile review. Thanks Yes - thumbs up

Beovision Eclipse, BeoLab 17,Beolit 15, Beoplay A2 Active

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,668
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Mon, Feb 23 2015 2:58 PM

Well, as a fellow Beolab 9 owner, I can relate. First time I got to hear them properly setup at a dealer, in his good room, I was just amazed. The midrange was so detailed, smooth and seductive, and the treble was extended but not harsh, bass was there when called for but not boomy or exaggerated.

Then when I years later heard them in my house, all those feelings were validated and then some! These speakers will go surprisingly low for such a small speaker, but do so with great control. Still some of the best midrange I've heard, and silky smooth treble. And the speakers just disappear, with your eyes closed I challenge anyone to point directly at one of the speakers and say that's where the sound is coming from.

When I got them I spent the better part of a week going thru all of my recordings, from classical to hard rock and everything in between, with just this huge grin on my face. My wife just loves them as well.

Congratulations on your purchase, and hope you have years of enjoyment.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,140
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Mon, Feb 23 2015 3:17 PM

One of my BL9 turns orange quite often (I bought them new half a year ago). And I don't like the noise from the treble/midrange speakers but I will have to live with it. Don't know why that sound is so much louder than the speakers in my Avant (that I can't hear noise from in my sofa). 

Other than that, I love BL9 :).  

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,668
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Mon, Feb 23 2015 4:17 PM

Michael:

One of my BL9 turns orange quite often (I bought them new half a year ago). And I don't like the noise from the treble/midrange speakers but I will have to live with it. Don't know why that sound is so much louder than the speakers in my Avant (that I can't hear noise from in my sofa). 

If you've only had them 6 months and you are showing a fault why haven't you had them back in for service? And what noise? I get no noise out of mine, at last since I got the proper PowerLink cables.

Jeff

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Mon, Feb 23 2015 4:21 PM

Thanks for all the replies.

About placement / adjustment, that's so true. When I first connected them, I thought I had the settings correct for the room, and were placed appropriately. Something just sounded a bit off. My dealer was with me every step of the way and advised me to recheck the placement and adjust accordingly. I moved them further out in the open and changed the settings from CORNER / CORNER to FREE / FREE as well as ever so slightly increasing thier levels in the SOUND menu of the Beovision 11. (My living room opens out to the dining room, and there's a 1.5 ft wall which opens out alongside one speaker where it was originally placed, and the other speaker was originally placed close to a corner where there are windows on either side of the corner of the wall (so technically, not acoustically the same as a true full wall). 

After moving them and the other adjustments, they sound so great.

The other thing I'm also impressed with, and this shows you how easily impressed I am: There's no perceptible audible "click" not even a soft one, when the speakers go from standby to on and back again. When I owned Beolab 4000/6000/8000/3/2, I remember hearing that soft low "click" as the speakers activated, not on these. Maybe there is so much sound insulation that the click sound is muffled, but it does the trick for another degree of refinement.

And yes, my wife already said they look like Cylons. Stick out tongue

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,668
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Mon, Feb 23 2015 7:11 PM

By your command...Stick out tongue

My wife thinks the Lab 5s look like Daleks...

Jeff

Peter the Biker
Top 100 Contributor
Eastwestfalia
Posts 882
Gold Member

Another happy owner of the BeoLab 9. There is only one disadvantage: These penguins preferred the contents of my wallet to the fish I offered them ...

Peter the biker

StUrrock
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 979
Bronze Member
StUrrock replied on Mon, Feb 23 2015 8:56 PM
Sal:

I just thought I'd write a simple post to my fellow Beoworlders sharing how happy I am with my new Beolab 9's. Holy Cow. I've never owned a pair of speakers which have this degree of detail and control.

I know some of you have owned beolab 9's for years, and others own Beolab 5's so this may sound like old hat, but bear with me...

Now that I've had them playing for a few days now, all I can say is that my brain has to get acclimated to their sound. And not in a bad way. I knew they were powerful, so my neanderthal ears expected the sound to be boomy and just plain loud if driven; but I was wrong. Yes, they can play hard if they're asked to do so...

The sound is tight, crisp, oh so clear, and never seems out of control. Some of my favorite pieces sound gloriously different -- I hear new things in them now -- and others, well, since the speakers seem to bring out everything in the recording, poor recordings sound poor. I hear that now. The 9's have no mercy, and that's a good thing IMHO.

I know these speakers aren't Beolab 20's or Beolab 5's, but I'm in love. And I thought I would share.

As I type this I'm listening to Philip Glass: Satyagraha Act 3, Part 3 (Evening Song). It is a beautiful, delicate piece with tenor Douglas Perry singling a simple melody over the orchestra, then over arpeggios played by woodwinds. I've listened to this piece hundreds of times, and this is the first time it sounds the way it does now. I hear the detail in the flutes, piccolos, clarinets, and the weight of the tenor isn't drowned by the cellos toward the end. WOW.

Enjoy your new babies IMHO I think they are more pleasant sounding than the BeoLab 20s.

I find the 20s very tiring to listen to. great detail but tending towards harsh, whereas the 9s I could listen to all day long with their slightly 'softer and warmer' sound.
Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,425
Bronze Member
Luke:

Lack of midrange that corresponded to placement was my greatest issue but have been happy with them since.

I haven't auditioned the BL5 in my environment but I hope for it to be a step up. I didn't want any opportunity for my partner to tell me to take them back!

BL2500, BS3000, BS Moment, A9, BL9, BL8000, BV11-55, BL Penta III, BS5 Encore, RL6000, BG8002, BM8002, BC8002, MX4002, BS1, Beolit12, A2...Serene

Luke you could use them as front left and front right in a music setting. If your partner loves you they wont tell you to take them back lol Whistle
Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,140
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Tue, Feb 24 2015 3:47 PM

Jeff:

Michael:

If you've only had them 6 months and you are showing a fault why haven't you had them back in for service? And what noise? I get no noise out of mine, at last since I got the proper PowerLink cables.

I hear a faint noise from the lens and midrange that I don't like. I hear this if I put my ear near BL20 and other speakers but not sure if it is as loud. I changed my cables once and it got less loud. The problem with one speaker turning orange sometimes still occurs but rarely. I´ll try to change cables again before I have them sent for service. (The reason for not having sent them for service is that I don't have a car and I live hours from the store.. + I work a lot).

Bigbruins
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Bronze Member
Bigbruins replied on Wed, Apr 8 2015 11:59 PM

I would like to say that I just picked up a mint pair of Beolab 9's about a week ago for a terrific deal! These beolabs have been used maybe a total of 20 hrs! I was a little disappointed as at one point my beolab 3's and beolab 2 sounded better but after a few tweets and placing them properly all is good! Now just need some time to connect them all together !! 

Chaka
Top 200 Contributor
Chicago
Posts 312
Bronze Member
Chaka replied on Thu, Apr 9 2015 1:11 AM

ENJOY SEXY!!!!  THEY'RE GRWAT SPEAKERS!!!!!!!

Chaka
Top 200 Contributor
Chicago
Posts 312
Bronze Member
Chaka replied on Thu, Apr 9 2015 1:12 AM

SHHH you!!  XO

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL