Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 52 Replies | 7 Followers

Huwwy
Not Ranked
4 Posts
Bronze Member
Huwwy posted on Mon, May 28 2012 6:50 PM

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum so hello!

I have been considering buying a Beosound 5 or Encore for a while. I've heard from a dealer that there will be a £1000 off offer for June and July but I still can't work out if they are still ridiculously expensive or whether they are genuinely worth the cost.

An alternative for me would be to buy the new A8 but that would leave me without MOTS which is one of the primary reasons for buying.

I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts.

Thanks

Huwwy

All Replies

PhilLondon
Top 25 Contributor
London
3,607 Posts
Bronze Member

You should try to know what is the purpose of this offer. Is it like for the BS8 where they are trying to clear the inventory before they bring a new model?

Beoworld app with direct photo upload and emoticons. Other apps: ConsltThe Story Mouse

Huwwy
Not Ranked
4 Posts
Bronze Member
Huwwy replied on Mon, May 28 2012 7:15 PM

Hi Phil, that was my initial thought too and as many on here are much more in the loop on B&O developments I thought I'd ask to see if anyone has any inside info.

Paul W
Top 50 Contributor
London
1,810 Posts
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Mon, May 28 2012 7:26 PM

At this moment in time, personally, I think it's wise to go with the A8 airplay and stick to streaming your iTunes from your iPhone or MacBook - Apple really seem to know what they are doing in that department.

Why would anyone want MOTS? when you can chose to make your own playlist?  I just don't get it! But hey, just my opinion :)

sjmcguckin
Not Ranked
9 Posts
Bronze Member

Paul,

If you had MOTS running on your music I think you might find it interesting. I think it is simply fantastic - let me explain why from my point of view. Before I had MOTS I simply played the same music over and over. Of course every so often I would dig into my collection and pull out an older disc and play it, but generally it was the same old artists and tracks.

But now with MOTS I hear music that I haven't heard in a long time. Even some of the tracks I wasn't really interested in before when I now hear them in a different context they sound great. For example if I was listening to an album with mostly fast music and a slow one came along I was not so interested, or of course the opposite could happen. Now I just select a song to suit my mood and let the machine go to work. Also I don't have to worry about preparing a play list. I travel quite a bit and frankly I can't wait to get home these days and chill out to the MOTS.When people come to visit it is also great. They select a song they like and whatever else is in my collection that is similar pops up. My friends also like playing with the Beosound 5 interface.

Of course this is just my opinion and the way I now enjoy music. I am sure other people may have different needs and solutions.

By the way there is one thing I would like to do and I don't know how. I have recently started to rip to FLAC and I don't know how to include the album. Anyone out there who can help.

Stephen

erandlux
Top 500 Contributor
113 Posts
Bronze Member
erandlux replied on Tue, May 29 2012 10:05 AM
Hi,

I have the Encore since more than 1 year now, and the most enjoyable facility of this kit is the MOTS.

Just select one track, depending on your mood, and let the music play.

If you want specific playlist, no probs with the favorites, you can do it also.

Everyone listen to music differently, some of us with LP, CD, or even tapes, and for me, MOTS is the way.

Concerning the cover art album, I personnaly add a Folder.jpg file in each of my music directory since Some music format does not support embedded picture. Same procedure for everything, and really flexibe.
mbee
Top 50 Contributor
Paris, France
1,687 Posts
Bronze Member
mbee replied on Tue, May 29 2012 10:48 AM

I have bought an Encore this year, after using Airport Express with a Beosound 2300 (A.AUX), and also testing Sonos for more than a year.

I have to say that MOTS is THE key thing in a BS5 system, and it's better for me than Apple's Genius. With Sonos I had everything that I wanted (multiroom, scheduled on/off, Spotify/Deezer integration, nice iPad interface...), but I was always listening to the same songs!

About buying this system today, I would not say that it's too late, I would maybe say that it's too early! (in fact, I find the BS5 outdated, it's just an old PC; 3 cables from BS5 to BM5... The BS5E has almost the same capabilities, and is less bulky...) B&O has launched a totally new platform with the Encore, and this system has to evolve in functionalities, (and he BS5 also), just to meet the functionalities of something like Sonos :

- Maybe one day those systems will integrate Spotify/Deezer/Qobuz for unlimited music streaming (it's now a must have like an A.AUX connector!)
- B&O has to launch the "BeoNet circular controller" for secondary rooms in order to make the Encore something that is not stand alone
- B&O is said to release the BeoNet to ML converter for people that want a BS5 Encore with ML (the BS5 already has ML, it's nice, but it's a bulky solution)
- B&O NEEDS TO PROVIDE QUICKLY AN UPDATE FOR BEO6 2-WAYS WITH THE ENCORE (like the BS5)
- A second interface on iPad (iPhone) would be great to have a cool way to search for a specific song with a keyboard. It's said to be somewhere near the launch for more than one year now...

Huwwy
Not Ranked
4 Posts
Bronze Member
Huwwy replied on Tue, May 29 2012 5:10 PM

Hi mbee, When i discussed buying an Encore with my dealer he told me that his understanding is that the Encore would not be adapted/upgraded to allow multi room use or two way remote or have any other major developments. It was this information that stopped me buying an Encore. I can't believe it is true but he is a B&O dealer!

Michael99
Not Ranked
2 Posts
Bronze Member

From my point of view one clear answer: Yes, yes, yes ...

FIrst and most important reason is the sound quality of the Beomaster/Beosond 5. It´s far better than listening to music via AppleTV. I think it´s even better than listening to a CD from a BeoCenter 2.

Second reason is the Design of the BeoSound 5.

Most important: correct tagging of the Albums, otherwise it is hard to find the music you are looking for or you have two album covers for one album etc. If the tagging its correct: wonderful (beside of that I am missing the category "Genres" - but being aware of the concept of MOTS the absents of the category "Genres" its quite logical).

MOTS is really interesting and yes, I also like it (MOTS was not the main criteria for me).

Fazit: I will keep my Beomaster/Beosound 5 for a long long time :-)

Michael99

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
4,797 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Wed, May 30 2012 2:43 PM

Huwwy:

I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts.

I've owned a lot of recent B&O kit, including the BS5/BM5 combo. I hated it. I felt like a fool/fraud/idiot for buying it, it remained here for 3 months, was traded in against other stuff (I didn't lose too much money).

It's a very expensive PC/controller combo. I'd put my money towards an A8 and use the spare cash to upgrade your speakers.

The Encore is ok, it's the combo I didn't like. I still believe the Encore is too expensive for what it offers (a controller for your NAS drive, effectively), but if you can get it discounted as part of an offer, it would be worth some consideration. You also get MOTS with the Encore, too, so it's a much better option. Buying the BM5 sums up everything I don't like about the old-school B&O customerbase :)

mbee
Top 50 Contributor
Paris, France
1,687 Posts
Bronze Member
mbee replied on Wed, May 30 2012 2:50 PM

Huwwy:

Hi mbee, When i discussed buying an Encore with my dealer he told me that his understanding is that the Encore would not be adapted/upgraded to allow multi room use or two way remote or have any other major developments. It was this information that stopped me buying an Encore. I can't believe it is true but he is a B&O dealer!

If they do that, they are just completely wrong.

But the fact is that yes, your dealer is a dealer, he wants to sell a €5000 BS5 instead of a €3000 BS5E. And as it is now, the BS5E is just a big iPod (with MOTS and HD audio playback, which are already big PROs against Apple or Sonos)...

What is hidden behind the screen of the Encore is the new digital audio platform of all B&O audio products (it was developped to be that). No ML, but BeoNet instead/ 2-ways possibilities/synchronised music in multiroom... The BS5E is just a bit of software close to perfection, but it seems that B&O is not really motivated to develop the BS5E fastly. It's sad because it could be a real gem in a new BeoNet home. I'm just waiting to see what they do. If they wait too much, I will have to go another way, but literally, MOTS has changed how I listen to music. It's like evaluating a DJ in a party, wondering "good song, what will you put next to that??", it just makes me use almost 100% of my music library, when I was using max. 10% with Sonos, and 50% with Apple/Genius.

mbee
Top 50 Contributor
Paris, France
1,687 Posts
Bronze Member
mbee replied on Wed, May 30 2012 3:02 PM

Michael99:
FIrst and most important reason is the sound quality of the Beomaster/Beosond 5. It´s far better than listening to music via AppleTV. I think it´s even better than listening to a CD from a BeoCenter 2.

I must correct you here : the latest Apple TV has no analog audio out, it's only HDMI, so it's all digital. Connected to a Beovision, the (really good) DAC of the Beovision (whatever Beovision it is) will convert to analog, and the amplification will be done by your Beolabs. So normally there will be almost no difference of quality between AppleTV and BS5 (as long as you don't want to listen to HD audio tracks like 24bit/96kHz)

If you connect directly a set of Beolabs to an Airport Express, it's a different story : the awful analog audio out of the AE will make your great lossless songs sounding like bad MP3s (limited highs, higher than adequate bass level...)

I must admit that coming from Sonos and before that Apple Airplay-based system, I was a bit skeptical about the BS5 Encore. Now that I've played with the device, used to have the album cover displayed on a cool medium-sized screen in the livingroom, and used to have MOTS, it will be very difficult, almost impossible, to replace it with Sonos/Airplay, even if they provide some advantages (scheduled on/off for Sonos, and synchronised multiroom audio + iPad navigation for Sonos+Apple)

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
4,797 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Wed, May 30 2012 3:06 PM

Michael99:

I don't know about "far better". I simply use a digital out from my Airport Express to the BS4 and that effectively achieves the same thing.

BTW rather than spending tons of cash on a BM5/BS5 combo, you'd be better buying an Encore and using the spare cash towards better B&O speakers. There's huge difference between, say, the A8 and BL3s, for example. Far more of a difference than the "far better" sound quality you imply by using the BM5.

jonnyb
Top 500 Contributor
92 Posts
Bronze Member
jonnyb replied on Wed, May 30 2012 8:47 PM
Moxxey, how are you achieving a digital connection from the Airport Express to your BS4? I thought the BS4 only had an AUX input? Thanks
jonnyb
Top 500 Contributor
92 Posts
Bronze Member
jonnyb replied on Wed, May 30 2012 8:47 PM

Moxxey, how are you achieving a digital connection from the Airport Express to your BS4? I thought the BS4 only had an AUX input?

Thanks

Page 1 of 4 (53 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL