Bm5 as video server?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 20 Replies | 2 Followers

Patonline
Not Ranked
4 Posts
Bronze Member
Patonline posted on Mon, May 28 2012 4:11 PM

Hi. I wanted an update on wether the bm5 can be used as a server for videos? I have stored on it music, pictures and videos . I have an apple tv connected to my 7.55 with bl5 and 3 .I can send easily music and pictures to the tv via apple tv and a ipad apps like plugplayer or ace player and enjoy music with these speakers but no way that any of these apps that converse with any upnp server like the bm5 see my videos stored on it. Does anybody know wether there is a way that bm5 send the information about videos ,? On the other hand if my pc is switched on my videos stored on the bm5 shows on itune and my apple tv can read them and broadcast on the 7.55. But i would like to avoid having the pc switched on. So anybody know if there is a way that bm5 send info on videos as an upnp server? Or if bo has a plan about that ? I don t understand why having a 500 or 1tera of storage if this is only for cd and pics this is for millions of these!.. Rgds 

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Patonline
Not Ranked
4 Posts
Bronze Member
Verified by Patonline

Thanks for the reply .are you saying that withthe tvix 6600 multimedia box you were able to acess movies on the bm5 ? Or that you replcaed your bm5 by an other nas tvix as some exist with hard drive in it . It is very strange so far no upnp server apps i tried retrieved any of my movies stored on the bm5 so if i buy the tvix the entirety of what is stored onthe bm5 will beavailable to broadcast?i am less worried with the linked rooms as today i didnt linked any of the room i have the 7.55 and a 9000 coupled  ina mainlounge and the bs5 inthe bedroom, i would like to add an other nas just to broadcast my dvd  that i ripped thanks

All Replies

ngnear
Top 500 Contributor
237 Posts
Bronze Member

Double post due to slow response time of server.

Is there no delete option?

DoubleU
Top 150 Contributor
562 Posts
Bronze Member

BillC:

Well for one thing the Apple TV sound output is not the best, it doesn't support 192kHz/24bit and doesn't have pre output for 7.1 sound.

Neither does the BM5.

BillC:

Another thing is AppleTV until recently didn't even support 1080p. Bluray wasn't something it could have handled until recently. Its graphic card isn't the best.

And the BM5 is? The graphic card is on the motherboard, Has a DVI output, and runs on a Windows XP embedded platform with very limited specs.

BillC:

AppleTV hardware specs aren't what I called high end nor am I saying B&O will come to meet all the above.  It can meet some people requirements but doesn't suit me

I was only comparing the specs of an existing ATV with a hypothetical BM5 as a video-server. The BM5 is dedicated audio player. If you want the BM5 as an all feature media server, you need a different platform for sure. 

The BM5/BS5 is a dedicated audio product and will only be competitive with other audio players, like Olive, Linn and Sonos. All the ATV’s, TVIX’s, Dune’s and so on are dedicated video players. Sure these players can play all audio, but it’s no competion if you have a dedicated audio player, like a Beosound 5. Two different worlds.

BillC
Top 500 Contributor
121 Posts
Bronze Member
BillC replied on Tue, Jun 5 2012 7:20 AM
Well I never suggested BM5 is a video server - not sure how you can read that in my post. We all know that BM5 isn't a video server, I just wish they develop one or an hybrid of the beosystem 3 and beosound 5 encore but with video

The point of my reply is Apple TV is also not a good video server for me -it's doesn't have a particularly good video engine, doesn't have particularly good analog audio output (you need to use DACs/prepro/processor), doesn't do multichannel audio output without external prepro or surround processor, it doesn't have a good UI for searching or browsing media (hey if you need to jailbreak to put xbmc on it that tells something), doesn't support most media file type out of the box, it doesn't even support subtitles out of the box

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
1,862 Posts
Bronze Member

It would be worth seeing what announcements Apple has for the Apple TV next week. It's expected that there will be apps available for the Apple TV, which could open it up to more services such as Hulu, Pandora, Spotify, etc. Also, it's expected that Apple will announce the option to have gesture control via a motion-sensor attachment to the Apple TV. This would remove the necessity for a physical remote control, much like XBox Kinect and the new Samsung TVs. Also, the Mountain Lion OS for Macs that will be released this summer will offer features of airplay streaming of video content from the computer to the Apple TV. Just a few exciting features to look forward to.

TATYN
Not Ranked
7 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Not Verified) TATYN replied on Sat, Mar 28 2015 5:03 PM
Suggested by TATYN

Paton,

Tu télécharge divx sur une clé usb  ensuite tu installes ce programme sur le Beomedia via le menu service du beosound 5 et tu fais la même chose pour les films que tu veux charger dans le Beomedia . Pour lire les films il suffit dans passer dans photo et tu pourras lire les films que tu auras enregistrés. Je peux lire des films a partir de mon Beomédia sans problème. Cordialement .

TATYN
Not Ranked
7 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Not Verified) TATYN replied on Sat, Mar 28 2015 5:03 PM
Suggested by TATYN

Paton,

Tu télécharges divx sur une clé usb  ensuite tu installes ce programme sur le Beomedia via le menu service du beosound 5 et tu fais la même chose pour les films que tu veux charger dans le Beomedia . Pour lire les films il suffit dans passer dans photo et tu pourras lire les films que tu auras enregistrés. Je peux lire des films a partir de mon Beomédia sans problème. Cordialement .

Page 2 of 2 (21 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL