rated by 0 users
This post has 35 Replies | 4 Followers

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,642
Bronze Member
Hiort Posted: Wed, Jan 7 2015 3:37 AM

Bang and Olufsen press event at CES Las Vegas.

Since most of the information around the Moment already is available on the Internet I will focus more on the handson experience and the event as such.

The press event was held in a nicely dressed function room at the Venetian hotel.

The CES event is spread in multiple venues all over Las Vegas.

The setup included three Avant, 55, 85 and the new 75 inch version.

The Avant 75 is now launched. You can see the prices below.

The Avant has been awarded an innovation award at the CES event.

The Moment was introduced as an "ultra-domesticated cloud music system"

The wood side is used for simple hands on operation. To use wood is bold in my mind, but I think the design will grow on you like the lamellas on the Beolab 18. It is certainly quite different but looks nice. It was mentioned that a lot of work has been put into selecting the right parts of the tree that should withstand environmental conditions from the Nordics to Asia.

Hands on operation:

Touch inside the circle to start up music. The music that is played is what you normally play that time of day. The Moment looks both in your music library and in the songs you marked as favorites from e.g Deezer. It would take 2-3 weeks usage for the Moment to learn from your usage, so that you actually feel that what the Moment select is what you would like to hear at that time of day.

B&O call that "pattern play".

Swipe up to mark a song as favorite.

Swipe left or right inside the circle to jump back or forward in the playlist.

When you turn the tablet you get access to a screen. The aluminum ring has exactly the function as mentioned above.

The screen is intended for e.g search in your library, access radio services and Deezer. User interface is sleek and responsive, and in my mind easier to understand than Beosound 5.

(Not my picture)

The finish is very nice. There is aluminum all around. Brushed in the finish we all know and love.

The base is heavy and will stand well on any sideboard. Connections include Phono in, power link out and Ethernet. There is a lid on the backside covering the connections. If the lid is removed, the tablet show the settings. Very Bang & Olufsen I would say. :)

Mid this year multi room functionality will be added by a sw upgrade. The demo included an Essence on one end of the room. When music was played on the Moment, you just had to press on the Essence button, to get the same music in that room. Also e.g A9 will be part of the multi room solution and that was also part of the demo.

The "goodie bag" included USB with all info shown (have not had time to look at it) a nice notepad and a pen.

Will later post separately my impressions of the new H8 headphones that was also shown.

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Library: A6, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5 Office: Beocom 2 Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay P2

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,642
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Wed, Jan 7 2015 3:41 AM
Some more pics from the presentation:

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Library: A6, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5 Office: Beocom 2 Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay P2

expoman
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 176
Bronze Member
expoman replied on Wed, Jan 7 2015 4:47 AM

Who were the presenters of the products?  Not Tue or B&O America product manager?

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,218
Founder
expoman:

Who were the presenters of the products? Not Tue or B&O America product manager?

The woman appears in the other Moment thread demonstrating for maybe 5 minutes in Danish - which is semi-intelligible on account of technical phrases in English Big Smile

BeoNut since '75

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,600
Bronze Member
CB replied on Wed, Jan 7 2015 6:57 AM

Thanks a lot Hiort for all these details !

Great report.

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,600
Bronze Member
CB replied on Wed, Jan 7 2015 6:57 AM

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 13,682
Bronze Member

Thanks Hiort - and enjoy your 'goodies'.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,554
Gold Member

Thanks Hiort.  Great pictures and information.  I couldn't find much on the net about the connections, nor the multi room, so thank you very much :-) 

badgersurf
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 538
Gold Member

Thanks for the review and nice to know that it will work with the Essence in the future.

Enjoy your time in Las Vegas

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Wed, Jan 7 2015 8:55 AM

can't wait for your review on the headphones

nice work Smile

we tend to forget there is more to design than designing.

lano
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 161
Bronze Member
lano replied on Wed, Jan 7 2015 8:57 AM
Any news regarding if it will be possible to control the BS Moment (and the linked products A9/Essense) from the Beolink app if you have a BLGW?
BeoGreg
Top 75 Contributor
South of France
Posts 1,413
Bronze Member
BeoGreg replied on Wed, Jan 7 2015 8:58 AM
Yeah thanks Hiort, good report.

With the alu face it looks nice.
Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,642
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Wed, Jan 7 2015 12:32 PM
Here are some specs I got on the USB.

Had to take photos from my laptop screen since I'm currently only online with my iPhone but will post the complete PDFs when I can.

Same design studio as Essence: http://www.frackenpohl-poulheim.de

ilPadrino
Not Ranked
Posts 16
Bronze Member
ilPadrino replied on Wed, Jan 7 2015 12:43 PM

1280*800...

insanely bad for anything that costs above $200. 

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,642
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Wed, Jan 7 2015 12:45 PM
ilPadrino:

1280*800...

insanely bad for anything that costs above $200.

Looked very good on the 7 inch screen.

jans
Top 200 Contributor
Belgium
Posts 392
Bronze Member
jans replied on Wed, Jan 7 2015 1:16 PM
No Digital inputs? That's a pity
Raeuber
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,542
Bronze Member
Raeuber replied on Wed, Jan 7 2015 1:19 PM
jans:

No Digital inputs? That's a pity

And no digital output.
mbee
Top 75 Contributor
Paris, France
Posts 1,772
Bronze Member
mbee replied on Wed, Jan 7 2015 1:31 PM

WiSA is a digital output Wink

Maybe we will find Wisa>Digital coax conversion boxes in the future...

Raeuber
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,542
Bronze Member
Raeuber replied on Wed, Jan 7 2015 1:46 PM
mbee:

WiSA is a digital output

Maybe we will find Wisa>Digital coax conversion boxes in the future...

diisign.com

Ok, but actually it's wireless.

Some people might connect the Moment directly to Beolab 5 or to S/PDIF at a Beovision.
bayerische
Top 25 Contributor
Ekenäs, Finland
Posts 4,770
Bronze Member

Yeah, more boxes and converters... That's what we need.

Doesn't make sense how to connect it to B&O's flagship speakers. Surely adding a SPDIF out wouldn't have been too complicated? 

Too long to list.... 

linder
Top 100 Contributor
United States
Posts 983
Bronze Member
linder replied on Wed, Jan 7 2015 2:25 PM

Thanks Hiort.  Impressive work!

Bill

kuyttendaele
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 622
Founder

Aha! Finally ALAC! Apple Lossless Audio Codec! :-) All my CD's have been ripped in ALAC :-)

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Wed, Jan 7 2015 6:02 PM

I have to say, I'm impressed by the Moment. The colored touch wheel for letting it select music is the most radical and innovative thing I've seen in audio since the introduction of MOTS/Genius by B&O/Apple. I've really enjoyed what Genius selects in my iTunes setup, expanding this to the huge collection of Deezer and adding the ability to select by mood and whether you want more of what you know or more of what you don't, is to me very interesting. In a way this brings back what I miss from the old days of FM album rock and such. Back then you could select a station that played a certain kind of music and expect a wide variety of songs in addition to the favorites of the day, the stations tried to differentiate themselves and grab your attention. Something that's gone by the wayside in the days of overly commercialized stations all owned by the same company.

The two things I really enjoy about my current setup are the Genius functions, and Spotify's ability to over time, using the thumbs up and down button, tailor various radio stations to my tastes. I think the Moment appears to do this on steroids. Time will tell if the implementation is good, but honestly this is the first thing other than speakers and headphones that's made me think "I want this" from B&O for a while now.

Replacing all my Master Link setup with Essences would be price prohibitive, but I have to say the idea of the Essence control tied to a Moment to touch and control music in each room is a worthy successor to Masterlink if that is indeed the way B&O goes in the future.

The H8 looks wonderful too, and the improvements to the A9 and Beolit 15 seem to be well thought out as well. This is a fast changing market, for about the first time in a long time it appears B&O is actually ahead of the market with the Moment and wireless speakers. Hopefully it's not too late.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,218
Founder

Thanks to "our reporter" in Las Vegas Smile

[ √ ] FLAC ... for those who were asking after it

[ x ] Beo 4 ... end of an era Sad

BeoNut since '75

Ƨcɑɽɑɱɑnɡɑ
Top 10 Contributor
Khao Phing Kan
Posts 6,662
Bronze Member

Nevermind.

• One B&o bottle opener
  • One fancy gun
Flere
Top 200 Contributor
Netherlands
Posts 337
Bronze Member
Flere replied on Wed, Jan 7 2015 9:12 PM
Super. It can be controlled by the Essence remote!

- Flere

smile and enjoy the moment

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,703
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Wed, Jan 7 2015 9:18 PM

Jeff:

I have to say, I'm impressed by the Moment.

Jeff:
The H8 looks wonderful too,

I've said elsewhere, I really like the interface, I think the hardware design is very questionable.

I also think the H8's could be killers!

Ban boring signatures!

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 13,682
Bronze Member

elephant:

[ x ] Beo 4 ... end of an era Sad

If it can be controlled by a BeoRemote One, why shouldn't it be possible to use a Beo4 as well (at least for basic functions)?

i guess that will have to be confirmed or denied, before you send the Beo4 in the EOL.

MM

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,642
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Wed, Jan 7 2015 10:04 PM
Millemissen:

If it can be controlled by a BeoRemote One, why shouldn't it be possible to use a Beo4 as well (at least for basic functions)?

i guess that will have to be confirmed or denied, before you send the Beo4 in the EOL.

MM

I'm sure beo4 should work.

Probably not mentioned because it's not sold anymore.

Raeuber
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,542
Bronze Member
Raeuber replied on Wed, Jan 7 2015 10:11 PM
Millemissen:

MM

You may be right, dear MM.

But how to use BR One with the Moment? As far as I know the Moment is not available in source list of BR One. Can BR One be updated, and if so how??

Regards

Räuber
Flere
Top 200 Contributor
Netherlands
Posts 337
Bronze Member
Flere replied on Wed, Jan 7 2015 10:14 PM
Raeuber:

You may be right, dear MM.

But how to use BR One with the Moment? As far as I know the Moment is not available in source list of BR One. Can BR One be updated, and if so how??

Regards

Räuber

Hmmm. There are a lot of Beosounds in the BR1 Settings Products Show option. Maybe one of those?

- Flere

smile and enjoy the moment

Jonathan
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, Australia
Posts 1,807
Bronze Member
Jonathan replied on Wed, Jan 7 2015 11:15 PM

Hiort:
Millemissen:

MM

...but the Beoremote One isn't for sale either!

x:________________________

Peter the Biker
Top 100 Contributor
Eastwestfalia
Posts 919
Gold Member

Jonathan:

Hiort:
Millemissen:

MM

...but the Beoremote One isn't for sale either!

Maybe it's included for the first 10.000 customers (wishful thinking). You can buy the BeoRemote 1 at March 2015 if I remember my dealer's info correctly.

Peter the biker

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 13,682
Bronze Member

The Moment is it's own remote.

But if we want to control it via a NL-tv a BeoRemote One/Beo4 surely will be usefull.

MM

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,218
Founder
Millemissen:

The Moment is it's own remote.

MM

Yes but if the woman in red has wandered off into another room with it I would like to mute her Italian boyfriends !

BeoNut since '75

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 13,682
Bronze Member

I am not sure if there is a remote for that - try with your fist 👊

MM

Page 1 of 1 (36 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL