Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Beoplay H8

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 3 verified answers | 662 Replies | 19 Followers

Emil Jensen
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
747 Posts
Bronze Member
Emil Jensen posted on Tue, Jan 6 2015 6:21 PM

Beoplay H8

Beovision Harmony 77" 2nd Gen, Beolab 5, Beolab 17, Beosound 1, Beoplay M3, Beoplay H6, Beoplay Earset, Beoliving Intelligence 

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
2,326 Posts
Silver Member
Verified by ellesofia

My H6´s just went on my local selling site :P

"You think we can slap some oak on this thing?"

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
937 Posts
Bronze Member
Verified by k3wt

k3wt:

Would it be possible to use H7 ear pads on the H8?

Hi k3wt,

No, they are not interchangeable, I tried this on a pair in store a while ago.

Kind Regards,

Martin.

Roger
Top 200 Contributor
Norway
417 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Verified) Roger replied on Mon, Feb 1 2016 4:32 PM
Verified by Mirzoni

This just in from Struer:

Bluetooth reception improvements have been implemented in production from serial number:
Gray Hazel: serial number 2524849 (w1542), and
Argilla Bright: serial number 25120775 (w1543).
BeoPlay H8 Black and Natural are per definition OK from start with improved Bluetooth reception.
Anyone that can confirm this? For the rest of us, knowing that the receiver is in the right H8 cup should help a little (put the phone in the front right pocket, not the left one) - but it would be even better if they have actually solved the issue all together from these S/N´s.
Roger

All Replies

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
2,326 Posts
Silver Member

How about we start our own research-tread? Write the serial number of your H8, and if it has dropouts or not. That way we could see if it is related to a special batch or serial range.

Duspin
Not Ranked
21 Posts
Bronze Member
Duspin replied on Tue, Mar 17 2015 3:48 PM

leosgonewild:

How about we start our own research-tread? Write the serial number of your H8, and if it has dropouts or not. That way we could see if it is related to a special batch or serial range.

Good idea!!!

Here's mine:  24502310

How does one read this number to know about batches or serial ranges?

Joheloo
Not Ranked
Denmark
4 Posts
Bronze Member

I had my H8 for some weeks now, and this is my experience:

Testing from inside my appartment:
I can listen to music with 9-10 m "free" distance from my phone (Iphone 6) without any dropouts with doors wide open. But if there is a wall between, i will get few dropouts sometimes if distance is 8-10 m.
(if stay within 5 m, signal passes through one massive 10 cm wall without dropouts)

Even if I put the phone under my sofa mattress (15 cm thick), there is no dropouts as long as I stay within the 5 m (safe zone) incl. a 10 cm massive stone wall in between.

I used the H8 on a short flight 2 times the past week. Each way listen around 1 hour straight without any dropouts. I even left my phone in flight seat and went to the lavatory wearing my H8 without any dropouts. Ok seat was 1st row (Ryan air flight though) and toilet just 2 m in front of seat, but still satisfying.

I have noticed, that when my Iphone is inside bluetooth settings (searching for bluetooth connetions) the H8 goes all crazy with dropouts, but leaving the settings all is fine again.

It is possible to cover my iphone with my body in some "unnormal ways" to force dropouts.
But this is just to test performance. Normally I wear my iphone in my front jeans pockets and it works perfect (both right and left pocket Wink)

When using the H8 I always keep my phone near me therefore the dropout symptoms is not something I experience in daily use.

Other comments:
The iphone quickly finds the H8 and connects to it. The materials and craftmanship of H8 is so nice.
The touch functions works very well (the volume control is however not so smoothly as the other touch functions.  The active noise cancellation (ANC) was very good onboard airplane leaving most of noise out (much better than my old Sony in-ear with ANC). But if I use my H8 at home, I will use without ANC, as it gives a much better sound.

The only negative I have to say about H8 is that after 30-60 min use, my ears gets very warm (i want to take the H8 off and rub my ears).
At first when you try them, they feel very soft and comfortable, but after a while I feel a light pressure on my head and get the warm ears. Not terrible, but still something I notice and dislike.

I have before only used in-ear headphones and I am maybe not (yet) used to on-ear headphones.
But I recommend try them for minimum 30 minuttes in the B&O store.

My S/N is: 24501060 (purchased in Denmark).

/Johnny

Paff1984
Not Ranked
Finland
2 Posts
Bronze Member
Paff1984 replied on Sat, Mar 21 2015 12:24 AM

I am now waiting for a replacement unit due to audio feedback from the ANC microphones but I haven't had that much problems with dropouts. But one thing I did experience was that when my phone (Lumia 920) got an update which included apt-x support some dropouts started to occur (at least when holding the phone in my hand). I did not experience any dropout when using the H8s with my Ipad.

S/N: 24500919

Mikael
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
174 Posts
Bronze Member
Mikael replied on Tue, Mar 31 2015 10:11 AM

Any news from affected owners?

Beovision Eclipse gen2 (GX) w/ floorstand, Beolab 14.2, 4 speaker Shape and ATV4/Chromecast.

Beoplay A9mk4 GVA, Beosound 1 GVA, H2, H3, H8, E6, Beoplay EQ

Duspin
Not Ranked
21 Posts
Bronze Member
Duspin replied on Tue, Mar 31 2015 10:28 AM

Mikael:

Any news from affected owners?

Yes, and it's not good.  B&O's official position is that it will neither support nor recommend that H8s will work with all Bluetooth devices, be they MacBooks, iPhones, iPads, or other mobile devices.  Commentary from my local B&O shop on this is mostly smug and truculent. So, I have good connectivity and range with my iPhone but not with my MacBook (where I would like it most).  

Mark
Not Ranked
37 Posts
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Wed, Apr 1 2015 7:33 AM

An Airplay speaker that has an unstable connection to networks and Bluetooth headphones that have an unstable Bluetooth connection. A company that is less than frank about the issues.

Having owned B&O kit since a BC7700 in 1981 I am finding it more difficult to see me moving on past my current BV10, BL6000 and BC3200.  Somehow B&O are not giving the same air of innovation, quality and reliability any more.

Duspin
Not Ranked
21 Posts
Bronze Member
Duspin replied on Wed, Apr 1 2015 11:04 AM

Mark:

An Airplay speaker that has an unstable connection to networks and Bluetooth headphones that have an unstable Bluetooth connection. A company that is less than frank about the issues.

Having owned B&O kit since a BC7700 in 1981 I am finding it more difficult to see me moving on past my current BV10, BL6000 and BC3200.  Somehow B&O are not giving the same air of innovation, quality and reliability any more.

Your comments echo my sentiments exactly.  What's worse, a few days ago I'm told that these and other B&O Play products are not repairable.  That is, if and when they break down they will be replaced if in warranty status, or MAY be eligible for a prorated replacement if out of warranty status.  Items on beoplay.com are considered entry-level and obviously disposable.  Still have my Beogram 8K.  THAT was innovative and high quality.

Amazone
Top 500 Contributor
Netherlands
187 Posts
Bronze Member

Duspin:
Still have my Beogram 8K.  THAT was innovative and high quality

It is a different world now. It is a good thing B&O changed also. Device's are obsolete before you know it nowadays. Look at BeoPlay A8, or Beoplay A3 for example. There's no need to repair these devices after a few years, nobody wants and/or needs them anymore.

But I agree, they should function without any issues when new. And most certainly not have connectivity issues/dropouts and like. That ruins the experience completely.

BeoVision 11-55, BeoLab 8000, BeoRemote One BT, AppleTV 4, 2x BeoPlay A2, BeoPlay A1

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,575 Posts
Bronze Member

Duspin:
Yes, and it's not good.  B&O's official position is that it will neither support nor recommend that H8s will work with all Bluetooth devices, be they MacBooks, iPhones, iPads, or other mobile devices.  Commentary from my local B&O shop on this is mostly smug and truculent. So, I have good connectivity and range with my iPhone but not with my MacBook (where I would like it most).  

Did they say that? It doesn't sound good. My H8 has been skipping a lot these days and I have been talking with B&O about it and they seemed very interested in trying to solve the issue then. I guess they might have found the issue and realized it is to expensive to fix, but I hope not.

Beolab 50, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9 3rd Gen, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Eclipse Gen 2 55", BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

Duspin
Not Ranked
21 Posts
Bronze Member
Duspin replied on Wed, Apr 1 2015 12:00 PM

Michael:

Duspin:

Did they say that? It doesn't sound good. My H8 has been skipping a lot these days and I have been talking with B&O about it and they seemed very interested in trying to solve the issue then. I guess they might have found the issue and realized it is to expensive to fix, but I hope not.

Michael, BeoCare's response to me was:  "I received feedback from Denmark, In principle a Bluetooth 4.0 enabled product with A2DP Bluetooth profile should be able to send music to the BeoPlay H8. Practical tests have shown a very differentiated market picture. Most newer computers with updated software and adequate hardware should be able to connect to BeoPlay H8, but we are not able to recommend or support this setup."  Mind you, the H8 and devices tend to pair well, however, sustained connectivity is the problem.  

Clarification of that rather perplexing statement (I believe the writer is an accomplished ESL person) was:  "Unfortunately we can't guarantee the same bluetooth performance with all Apple laptops."  I get that this person was delivering a message.  But, that doesn't seem to provide an explanation as to why globally there is hit-and-miss connectivity with all types of devices.  E.g., I have a problem with my MacBook but not my iPhone.  Some have no problems with their laptops but can't get clear, consistent connectivity with their mobile products--Apple or not.

You're lucky your local B&O is willing to work with you.  The shop in my area is only interested in refunding me the purchase price. 

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,575 Posts
Bronze Member

Duspin:

Michael:

Duspin:

Michael, BeoCare's response to me was:  "I received feedback from Denmark, In principle a Bluetooth 4.0 enabled product with A2DP Bluetooth profile should be able to send music to the BeoPlay H8. Practical tests have shown a very differentiated market picture. Most newer computers with updated software and adequate hardware should be able to connect to BeoPlay H8, but we are not able to recommend or support this setup."  Mind you, the H8 and devices tend to pair well, however, sustained connectivity is the problem.  

Clarification of that rather perplexing statement (I believe the writer is an accomplished ESL person) was:  "Unfortunately we can't guarantee the same bluetooth performance with all Apple laptops."  I get that this person was delivering a message.  But, that doesn't seem to provide an explanation as to why globally there is hit-and-miss connectivity with all types of devices.  E.g., I have a problem with my MacBook but not my iPhone.  Some have no problems with their laptops but can't get clear, consistent connectivity with their mobile products--Apple or not.

You're lucky your local B&O is willing to work with you.  The shop in my area is only interested in refunding me the purchase price. 

Duspin, sounds bad but are you the guy with the modified Mac? That has a newer Bluetooth card than the computer itself? That might be the issue if the AptX-codec is programmed to take use of perhaps instructions in a newer cpu or something except for just the Bluetooth card itself. 

I have the issues mainly with my iPhone but also with my Mac. The problem with the dropouts is obviously in the H8 design and I think they have too small buffer in the H8´s which makes it run out of data to quick and that the antenna gets to much bad data to cope (even if signal is good it is faulty packages coming in). I remember my old minidisc with 40 second shake buffer. :D 

Beolab 50, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9 3rd Gen, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Eclipse Gen 2 55", BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
2,326 Posts
Silver Member
Very interesting thoughts, Michael..

Duspin
Not Ranked
21 Posts
Bronze Member

Michael:

Duspin:

Michael:

Duspin:

Duspin, sounds bad but are you the guy with the modified Mac? That has a newer Bluetooth card than the computer itself? That might be the issue if the AptX-codec is programmed to take use of perhaps instructions in a newer cpu or something except for just the Bluetooth card itself. 

I have the issues mainly with my iPhone but also with my Mac. The problem with the dropouts is obviously in the H8 design and I think they have too small buffer in the H8´s which makes it run out of data to quick and that the antenna gets to much bad data to cope (even if signal is good it is faulty packages coming in). I remember my old minidisc with 40 second shake buffer. :D 

Indeed, Michael, you're probably correct about the codec, but that was fixed with a very handy tool so that BT 4.0 would be recognized and fully functional with appropriate codecs.  Bluetooth expert tells me it wasn't necessary to have done the upgrade b/c BT is backwards compatible. 

What you deduced is, I believe, the real issue.  Too small buffer (accounting for the speed up one hears occasionally) and the antenna receiving too much bad data.  I can be stationary without moving a muscle for 10 minutes then all of a sudden the sound drops out, but only within close range.  I also have a tool (Bluetooth Explorer) that constantly monitors BT signal so I can see in real time what raw RSSI the H8s are running.  It needs to be -60 or higher but usually hovers around -70+ which isn't good at all, hence the dropouts.

tobeyone
Top 500 Contributor
121 Posts
Founder
Just had a 2 1/2 hour flight with my new H8's that I received on Tuesday. Really good. Comfortable. No dropouts from my iPhone. Very happy customer again!!
Page 14 of 45 (663 items) « First ... < Previous 12 13 14 15 16 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL