rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 8 Replies | 1 Follower

mfunk1000
Not Ranked
3 Posts
Bronze Member
mfunk1000 posted on Sun, Jan 4 2015 3:51 PM

Hi-

My parents have an BO 5000 with speaker wiring through most of their house.  The company that originally installed it is no longer around though. I am trying to find out what type of connection that these floor sockets are and what my options are for hooking up some speakers are.  Since new BO speakers are out of my price range ideally I would like to know other brands that would work. I could take out these sockets and put something else in using existing wiring or us an adaptor.  Their is a power socket near by as well if I need to get power to the new speakers.  Photo attached. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Marc

All Replies

2121marty
Top 500 Contributor
82 Posts
Bronze Member

Others will help with the connection side of things but I just wanted to comment on speaker choice.

There is no need to think of other brands to use, yes new B&O speakers are costly but there are some get deals to be had on Beovox passive speakers. The sound quality produced by B&O speakers at even 20 odd years old will be far superior than entry level modern speakers. I use a set of 20 year old B&O speakers that I paid less than £200 that sound twice as good as the £800 new Kef speakers that I replaced them with. 

Just a thought... it does become like an addiction though!

Have a look into the retro 80's rosewood cased floor standers, classy and a great talking point, you wont be disappointed by the sound produced. The archive of B&O products on this site is great.

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
2,323 Posts
Silver Member
The two in the middle are for regular speaker wires. The others in the angles are other signals. So you can use a regular amplifier from another brand with the two connectors in the middle Smile

"You think we can slap some oak on this thing?"

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
14,478 Posts
Bronze Member

It is a socalled 'speaker link' connection, which predated the PowerLink connection.

Used for the first gen of the active speakers of B&O, and can also be found on the MCL-kits.

There must be more belonging to the output - a or more box/es somewhere hidden.

Could have been for connecting a Penta Lab (first gen) to a BeoMaster 5000 (from BeoSystem 5000) - my guess.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

mfunk1000
Not Ranked
3 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks everyone for your answers! So do I need to get active (powered) speakers or would just good old speakers work?

Like would these work? 

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107OWM3B/Polk-Audio-OWM3-Black.html?tp=191

I would love to get BO ones but these were the best I could find on ebay for a decent price ->

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bang-Olufsen-Beovox-RL-60-2-RedLine-Speakers-Type-6513-OEM-Wires-/281550877532?

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
2,323 Posts
Silver Member
What kind of setup do you have?

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
2,323 Posts
Silver Member
You can use whatever passive speakers you want.

mfunk1000
Not Ranked
3 Posts
Bronze Member

I am not with the system right now but I am fairly sure its a Beomaster 5000 with BO tape and CD components.  For the remote its the MCP 5000 and they have some IR panels in some of the rooms so the remote can work in other locations away from the main Beomaster.  Those panels have a mute button and a power button. 

Hope that helps! 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
14,478 Posts
Bronze Member

Simply pick the passive speakers of your choice, and connect them using the 'oldstyle' 2 pin male connectors to the outlets in the wall.

The speakers are driven by the amp in the BeoMaster then.

P.S. The RedLine 60.2 would be a good solution.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL