rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Denethor
Not Ranked
4 Posts
Bronze Member
Denethor posted on Sat, Jan 3 2015 11:44 AM

Hi,

For a first post, i might have overstepped my welcome, but i would appreciate all of your advise.

I'm looking to extend my existing BL14 setup to an airplay enabled multi-room audio system. My current setup has my samsung tv connected to the BL14 via a Sony AV, the Sony handles surround sound and also does airplay so i can stream from my iTunes to the BL14, and from iTunes to the BeoLit 12 in my bathroom (synchronised multi room).

I plan on adding a BV to my setup, but as the Samsung TV/Sony AV are still serving their purposes, i don't see this happening within the next 2-3 years.

I want to add an additional BL14 (either 2.1 or 4.1) to my bedroom and dining room (one each). I would also like to install two BeoSound Essence remotes to control the setup. I'm specifically looking at the BL14 as i enjoy the sound and design it provides at an affordable price. My setup currently includes a mac mini that serves as an itunes streaming station as well as a Plex Media Server, hence the heavy reliance on airplay (the multi room audio it provides works seamlessly here).

I have several questions regarding this setup : 

• Do i add multiple Essences, each connected to a BL14 ?
  • Do i add one Essence with multiple remotes and add playmakers connected to BL14 ?
  • Can the Essence and the playmaker even connect to the BL14 ?
  • Should i add airport express instead of playmakers ?
  • Ass my iTunes Library is constantly connected, will the Essence be able to pause/play ?
  • Is there a better setup i should consider (i read about the moment, but not sure this will be any help)

I've read several threads about the Essence/Playmaker/Moment, but none that can confirm the information i require.

Many thanks!

All Replies

mjmedlo
Top 100 Contributor
921 Posts
Bronze Member
This will be difficult if you intend all of the products to play at the same time.

You'd have to have them all connected with some type of 'master'.

What is the end result you're trying to achieve? A party mode where they all play the same thing at one time? Or three separate systems?

Denethor:

Hi,

For a first post, i might have overstepped my welcome, but i would appreciate all of your advise.

I'm looking to extend my existing BL14 setup to an airplay enabled multi-room audio system. My current setup has my samsung tv connected to the BL14 via a Sony AV, the Sony handles surround sound and also does airplay so i can stream from my iTunes to the BL14, and from iTunes to the BeoLit 12 in my bathroom (synchronised multi room).

I plan on adding a BV to my setup, but as the Samsung TV/Sony AV are still serving their purposes, i don't see this happening within the next 2-3 years.

I want to add an additional BL14 (either 2.1 or 4.1) to my bedroom and dining room (one each). I would also like to install two BeoSound Essence remotes to control the setup. I'm specifically looking at the BL14 as i enjoy the sound and design it provides at an affordable price. My setup currently includes a mac mini that serves as an itunes streaming station as well as a Plex Media Server, hence the heavy reliance on airplay (the multi room audio it provides works seamlessly here).

I have several questions regarding this setup :

Do i add multiple Essences, each connected to a BL14 ? Do i add one Essence with multiple remotes and add playmakers connected to BL14 ? Can the Essence and the playmaker even connect to the BL14 ? Should i add airport express instead of playmakers ? Ass my iTunes Library is constantly connected, will the Essence be able to pause/play ? Is there a better setup i should consider (i read about the moment, but not sure this will be any help)

I've read several threads about the Essence/Playmaker/Moment, but none that can confirm the information i require.

Many thanks!

Denethor
Not Ranked
4 Posts
Bronze Member

mjmedlo:
This will be difficult if you intend all of the products to play at the same time.

You'd have to have them all connected with some type of 'master'.

What is the end result you're trying to achieve? A party mode where they all play the same thing at one time? Or three separate systems?

The end result would be an airplay zone for each room connected to BL14 speakers, which can be controlled via the Essence remote. iTunes could then stream to these zones and I could then turn on/off zones via iTunes remote. Just not entirely sure i can connect BL14 to either Essence or Playmaker, if I understand correctly, both the Essence and Playmaker only support 2 channels, how would i then connect the sub + 2 additional satellites. And not sure if this is best achieved by using multiple Playmakers for each zone or setting up multiple Essences (that just seems overkill if the same can be achieved by Playmaker with 1 Essence and 3 remotes).

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,671 Posts
Bronze Member

No problems there.

The Essence or the Playmaker being two-channel systems, you should use a BL14.1 - or (better/cheaper) the BeoPlay S8.

They can easily be connected to those devices via PowerLink cable. The Sub/satelte is handled internally in the electronics of the sub of the 14 or 8.

Setup one combo for each AirPlay 'zone', you want.- and manage them through iTunes/Remote app on iPad.

Use the Playmaker, where you like them to be - and the Essence, where the additional features and the control wheel fits better into your way of using music.

Note: you can use multiple 'wheelies' for one Essence box - but you can not control multiple Essence's with the same 'wheely'.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
8,218 Posts
Founder

Zones and "Party mode" are two different things in my world.

Using iTunes' "multiple speaker" mode to broadcast to multiple Airport speakers gives you party mode.

Using Apple TVs as end points (if you have enough TVs) tunes the iTunes from "push" (broadcast) to "pull" mode, so each Apple Tv can be accessing a different playlist, album, genre, artist, etc.

Alternatively using multiple iDevices to "pull" from the iTunes and "push" to the Airport speakers (Philippe might step in here and correct me to say that the device actually effects a "switch") would again allow for accessing a different playlist, album, genre, artist, etc.

So it does depend on what your use case is . . . . . 

BeoNut since '75

Denethor
Not Ranked
4 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks MM! I had something similar in mind.

If i follow this logic, would this work ? :

Zone 1 TV Room : TV -> AV -> BL14 5.1 for surround sound. The AV also handles AirPlay so this is already one zone. This is my current setup.

Zone 2 Dining Room : iTunes -> Essence -> BL14 4.1

Zone 3 Bed/Bath : iTunes -> Playmaker -> BL 14.1. I would add 2 speakers to the Bed and 2 to the Bathroom, leave the sub in the bedroom. The rooms are adjoined and open. I would add an additional Essence "Wheelie" in this zone

I prefer the BL14 as i want to mount them to the ceiling, and the S8 has no ceiling brackets (i could use those of the 14, but the color difference is off putting). Can i add it so that 2 satellites play the left channel, and the other 2 the right channel ? I have no need for surround in Zone 2 and 3, only multi-stereo. Good to read that the sub will also be used, as the satellites are unable to handle the lows on their own. How do they connect ? 

Will the Essence wheelie only control the Essence zone, or will it control all zones. Fe: turning down the volume or pause/play, will this only be in the zone controlled by Essence ? If i press the volume buttons on the Beolit, it only impacts that speaker. If it only controls one zone, i would need to replace theplaymaker/extra wheelie in Zone 3 by a full Essence setup.

D.

Millemissen:

No problems there.

The Essence or the Playmaker being two-channel systems, you should use a BL14.1 - or (better/cheaper) the BeoPlay S8.

They can easily be connected to those devices via PowerLink cable. The Sub/satelte is handled internally in the electronics of the sub of the 14 or 8.

Setup one combo for each AirPlay 'zone', you want.- and manage them through iTunes/Remote app on iPad.

Use the Playmaker, where you like them to be - and the Essence, where the additional features and the control wheel fits better into your way of using music.

Note: you can use multiple 'wheelies' for one Essence box - but you can not control multiple Essence's with the same 'wheely'.

MM

Denethor
Not Ranked
4 Posts
Bronze Member

elephant:

Zones and "Party mode" are two different things in my world.

Using iTunes' "multiple speaker" mode to broadcast to multiple Airport speakers gives you party mode.

Using Apple TVs as end points (if you have enough TVs) tunes the iTunes from "push" (broadcast) to "pull" mode, so each Apple Tv can be accessing a different playlist, album, genre, artist, etc.

Alternatively using multiple iDevices to "pull" from the iTunes and "push" to the Airport speakers (Philippe might step in here and correct me to say that the device actually effects a "switch") would again allow for accessing a different playlist, album, genre, artist, etc.

So it does depend on what your use case is . . . . . 

thanks for the explanation. I would only use party mode to one or more zones. I could always stream direct from an iDevice towards the Essence/Playmaker if i wanted differente sources to play.

ChrisBerlin
Not Ranked
26 Posts
Bronze Member
Hi,

do you alread tried it out with the handling of the essence and itunes? My question is, how reacts itunes to the wheel, especally play/pause and volume? starts/stops itunes, so all connected airplay-speakers start/stop?

C
elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
8,218 Posts
Founder
ChrisBerlin:

Hi,

do you alread tried it out with the handling of the essence and itunes? My question is, how reacts itunes to the wheel, especally play/pause and volume? starts/stops itunes, so all connected airplay-speakers start/stop?

C

The Essence's (mark 2) controls work over AirPlay to iTunes.

And also iOS play for the BeoMusic device's local tracks.

I have not worked out (yet) how to configure the BeoMusic device to access tracks in the iCloud.

BeoNut since '75

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL