Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Beoplay S8 & Amplifier Connection Issues - Help Please!

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 7 Replies | 1 Follower

jacktaylor
Not Ranked
4 Posts
Bronze Member
jacktaylor posted on Sun, Dec 28 2014 6:08 PM

Hi All,

I have a very similar setup to what you are after (Samsung UE65D8000) and the Beoplay S8, my intension when I purchased the S8 was to plug it directly into the TV via the headphone jack however when I tried I got a rather annoyed buzzing noise coming from the S8, this was using just the included audio adaptor to 3.5mm directly into the Samsung headphone slot.

Of course I wasn't going to leave it like this so a few days ago bought a Yamaha RXV-645 Amplifier thinking I could plug the stereo leads directing into the output of the amp and then hook all my peripherals up to the amp via HDMI (TV, Apple TV, PS4, Sky HD etc.) however I cannot get anything to come out of the S8 at all - I know everything is plug in correctly, there are hundreds of settings on the amp but I don't think any of them are precluding the sound coming through. Today I've gone out and bought a phono lead to plug in the phono port on the front of the amp, from here I've bought a lead from the B&O 3.5mm adaptor into this - nice again, I'm back to the buzzing noise when the S8 plays anything. 

I know the S8 works fine because when I plug it into my Mac, iPhone or iPad it works perfectly - I've spent almost over £1500 so far and have got a system that doesn't work. I'd love to know if anyone has any ideas or tips, I've spoken to people at B&O, Richer Sounds, Tandy, Maplin and no one seems to have the technical knowledge to be able to advise...

Thanks, Jack

All Replies

ilPadrino
Not Ranked
16 Posts
Bronze Member

I had the exact same intention as you but also got a buzzing noise when connecting it directly to the headphone jack in my Pioneer 5090 tv. Using only a Playmaker and the S8 worked fine but when connecting the tv via its line out produced the noise when not playing anything, and because of this the Playmaker never turned off. So, the solution was to go and get me a Pioneer vsx-924 amplifier. I connected the S8 to the pre-out connection at the back of the 924. This worked as intended.

So, what have you connected the S8 to at the back of the Yamaha?

Would also like to know why there is an annoying buzz from the headphone jack, which I have seen from several people now, from those who know these things better than I do. And also why it seems to work from a Mac?

jacktaylor
Not Ranked
4 Posts
Bronze Member

It's quite humbling to know someone else is experiencing the same problem as me as I can't seem to fix this or find anyone with a similar issue!

I've got the S8 currently connected to the AV Out on the Yamaha Amp via the two audio phono leads that come out of the B&O sub (You can see the exact slot on this photo of the back of my amp, it's in the red and white slots nearest the right at the bottom, they are highlight grey and say AV Out in-between Audio 6 and Amp - http://www.cluelessfanboy.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/6DEBC99734F4423E9E74DC55106E8B42_12075.jpg) I would have thought this would work not problem but evidently after  days of constantly trying, I've got nothing.

The Mac is effectively exactly the same as the iPhone and iPad and works fine through there with the leads supplied in the box of the S8 by B&O, my only guess why I'm getting the buzzing noise through the headphone phono on the from of the amp is because I'm using various adaptors in order to make the required connection (effectively a Twin Phono RCA to Stereo 1/4" Jack Cable, but with about 3 adaptors and 2 leads in the middle) - I assume/hope that this is causing the buzzing. I might go round to Maplin tomorrow and buy a Twin Phono RCA to Stereo 1/4" Jack Cable and then hope the noise goes away, this doesn't however solve the reason why it won't work via the AV Out on the back of the amp.

The Phono in is on the front of the amp so won't look great with the wire coming out but at this point and after all the money that's gone into this I just want a system that works!

ilPadrino
Not Ranked
16 Posts
Bronze Member

Looking only at your attached figure, it seems to me that your amplifier only has pre-out for a subwoofer.

(Being no expert) I think that you need an amplifier with pre-out for LR, those you are using now look more like line out to me.

jacktaylor
Not Ranked
4 Posts
Bronze Member
 Yes, I think that's it based on the research I've done - the receiver doesn't have pre-out sockets fitted so I will need to connect the speaker by one of the two methods below:-

1) Connect the speaker to the headphone socket of the receiver with the cable and adapter in the links below (this is the cheapest option, but the cable is visible at the front of the receiver and any other speakers connected to the receiver will be turned off): 

2) Connect the speaker to the red and black speaker terminals on the back of the receiver using the special Attenuated Converter and cable in the links below (this option allows the cables to be hidden behind the receiver, plus any other speakers connected will still work correctly):

Rather annoying really as the amplifier wasn't cheap, if I'd have known that before hand I would have bought a different one - oh well, fingers crossed tomorrow I'll get it to work!

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
8,218 Posts
Founder
Suggested by Aussie Michael
This may be a red herring -- but I think there are differences between different line outs. I base this on the BeoLab 4S having a switch to go between line out and PC outputs.

BeoNut since '75

mjmedlo
Top 100 Contributor
921 Posts
Bronze Member
mjmedlo replied on Sun, Dec 28 2014 10:16 PM
Probably you have a ground connection issue.

I'd ask the dealer to provide you a 3.5mm plug that is well grounded and that might take care of your buzz issue.

In the past when I've had buzzing it was always due to grounding.

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
3,554 Posts
Gold Member

AV out looks right

As does even if you choose the Audio connection on your Yamaha

The issue might simply be - turn over the S8 and check the settings, it may be flicked over to PLA or PLB, for 3rd party products  Select input used. LINE or AMP for 3rd party products. (PL-A ( page8image44648) or PL-B ( ) for Bang & Olufsen products )

Let us know how you go and welcome to the forum :-) 

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL