rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 2 verified answers | 56 Replies | 3 Followers

Orava
Top 100 Contributor
Finland
963 Posts
Bronze Member
Orava posted on Wed, May 16 2012 4:36 PM

I found out that I have a pair of S45-2 with stucked bass drivers. Obiously loose magnets, and no more spares aviable. Donator speakers are not an option to me, it still leaves me with pair of speakers wiht broken basses, and that bugs me for sure.

So,  I have to do something about it.

blah-blah and photographs as needed

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Orava
Top 100 Contributor
Finland
963 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Verified) Orava replied on Mon, May 21 2012 6:35 PM
Verified by Orava

And here they are, with their new friend, Beocenter 3300. Reglued, recapped and cleaned.

And sounding Good, as you can hear. I guess I have to put my small Linn speakers aside now. Alltough they are about same side, they clearly lack bass, but their high register is exelent. Anyway this time B&O wins.

This reglueing isn´t so hard afterall, pretty straighfoward mechanical job. Maybe messy with all that glue, time and space consuming, but at the end I think it´s rewarding. And compaired to hunting (good) donator speakers, or equalent new drivers, this may be even easier to do.

Ricardo
Top 200 Contributor
Moonbase 5
418 Posts
Bronze Member
Verified by twowheel2001

Slight delay due to issues with the Crossovers on both speakers. Somebody got stupid and put a bit too much load on these guys I think

All Replies

freddy63
Not Ranked
near Dijon-Burgandy-France
33 Posts
Bronze Member

I'm impressed, i wish i had read a thread like this a few years ago. I might have saved my S45 woofer !

I am curious about the types of glue used.

The white glue looks like wood glue, can anyone explaine what types of glue are used on the dust-cap ? and spider/chassis ? and rubber suspention/chassis ?

Frédéric

Orava
Top 100 Contributor
Finland
963 Posts
Bronze Member
Orava replied on Fri, Feb 15 2013 7:28 AM

freddy63:

I am curious about the types of glue used.

The white glue looks like wood glue, can anyone explaine what types of glue are used on the dust-cap ? and spider/chassis ? and rubber suspention/chassis ?

Frédéric

Hi

I used Hempels Epoxy (danishSmile) on magnets, it is slow hardening and never let me down, I also use it on my boat so has to be good. And yes the white glue is ordinary good quality PVA-glue, someones might shake threir heads, but I didn't found reason why not, in these places it doenst, in fact it cant be flexible like when glueing surroundings. On these rubber surroundings I used Danalim(again danish) contact-glue, not like contact, but immedially wet-glueing.

freddy63
Not Ranked
near Dijon-Burgandy-France
33 Posts
Bronze Member

Thank you for making that clear.

I looked up Danalim glue, the yellow, universal adhesive 300, seems to be what you used.

Frédéric

Orava
Top 100 Contributor
Finland
963 Posts
Bronze Member
Orava replied on Mon, Feb 18 2013 9:07 AM

Those I mentoned were those I did use, not saying that there is no better ones.Hmm Anyway, they did work allright and I will use them in future if I do these again

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
3,980 Posts
Gold Member
chartz replied on Mon, Feb 18 2013 12:37 PM

I used plain compound epoxy glue about 30 years ago to repair Kef B200 bass drivers, with a HUGE ferrite, almost the size of the speakers themselves and they are still working.

Jacques

Ricardo
Top 200 Contributor
Moonbase 5
418 Posts
Bronze Member

Following Orava's wonderful instructions

All ready to be cooked up in the Microwave for a few hours and Voila my drivers should be ready to rock n roll.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
6,387 Posts
Bronze Member

Ricardo:

Nice job, but the micro will turn woofers into tweeters, cant wait to try this myself.Smile

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Ricardo
Top 200 Contributor
Moonbase 5
418 Posts
Bronze Member

Søren Mexico:

Ricardo:

Nice job, but the micro will turn woofers into tweeters, cant wait to try this myself.Smile

Please note the use of shims, Two different sets were needed - one set for centering up the magnet then a second set for centering the voice coil. What I used was card stock in varying thicknesses,

Kind of had to  sort that one out on my own and required a handful of test fits before I was satisfied,

Just waiting for the glues to completely dry for a day or so before put them thru a sound check.

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
2,597 Posts
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Tue, Jul 16 2013 5:28 PM

The 8" woofer is probably harder to handle with the larger magnet, but with the P45 woofers (5"?), you could still move the magnet a bit while the epoxy is still "wet."

A "dry" test fit, though, is absolutely essential.

Good luck with the sound check.

Ricardo
Top 200 Contributor
Moonbase 5
418 Posts
Bronze Member
Verified by twowheel2001

Slight delay due to issues with the Crossovers on both speakers. Somebody got stupid and put a bit too much load on these guys I think

Ricardo
Top 200 Contributor
Moonbase 5
418 Posts
Bronze Member
Ricardo replied on Tue, Jul 23 2013 11:34 PM

It worked both bass drivers have been tested and are in good working order. Sadly the damage to the one crossover was sufficient enough to short out one tweeter.

Luckily plenty old stock out there on the web.

Garyy
Not Ranked
4 Posts
Bronze Member
Garyy replied on Fri, Oct 28 2016 12:08 AM

Hello,

i have some P45 and the magnets have slipped off the two woofers. The magnet and back cover and the centre metal bar are still in place.

is it possible to reattached the magnet without removing the speaker and removing and dis atelier the whole cone? 

The rubber surround all look in great condition. 

Thanks for your help

Gary

Page 4 of 4 (57 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL