Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 12 Replies | 1 Follower

Damir Grgic
Not Ranked
Dubai, UAE
21 Posts
Bronze Member
Damir Grgic posted on Wed, Oct 22 2014 9:56 AM

Having two simple requests:

1. I want to browse and access my movie/music library at the press of a Beo4 button(s)

2. I want to listen to my MUSIC from an Apple (iPhone/iPad)  and non-Apple device (when friends come) or from the local network media library, while TV is OFF (using the same device as a remote - as I used to do with my BeoPlay A8 - borrowed to a friend :-) )

What I have:

- Beovision 7-40 mk3 with Beolab 7-4

- a pair of Beolab 3

- a pair of Beolab 8002

- Masterlink Gateway MLGW 2.2

- only one room - the whole system is currently limited to one room only (with plan to expand to other rooms keeping the same functionality)

What else should I purchase to accomplish this? AppleTV maybe? What B&O equipment? What Media Server/NAS drive (brand, model)? Other hardware?

Thank you very much for suggestions

All Replies

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
8,219 Posts
Founder
You have 4 BeoLabs (excluding the centre channel) - I take it that you are into surround sound ?

Therefore the only way to drive the stereo music AND surround sound is to have the BeoVision "on"

Can you live with using P.MUTE to blank the BV's screen when you are listening to music ?

BeoNut since '75

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
14,486 Posts
Bronze Member

I'd say, get yourself a Playmaker (as long as you still can), connect it to one of the analog inputs on the tv.

Pushing 'AV' before pushing the 'Source' button lets you turn on the tv 'audio-only'.

As for the A8 remote - you don't need that, if you are streaming or AirPlaying to the Playmaker.

You can control the volumen via your Beo4 as usual.

There is no way to do, what you intend to do with the tv being off!

For browsing your music with the Beo4, you would need to have the tv on anyway.

However, it is not possible 'to browse your music with the Beo4' without an additional PUC-controlled external box - (that is only possible on the newer BV's).

You could do some of it with the AppleTV (but not for/with non-Apple devices).

Browsing music on a tablet or on the iPad makes a lot more fun anyway.

The music can be on the device or on a NAS (or a PC/Mac) with a good DLNA server running.

In case you use iTunes and the Remote app (on an iDevice), you must be able to access your music library through iTunes.

Through MasterLink you could easily expand that to other rooms/get access to the Playmaker from there.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Damir Grgic
Not Ranked
Dubai, UAE
21 Posts
Bronze Member

elephant:
You have 4 BeoLabs (excluding the centre channel) - I take it that you are into surround sound ?

Surround for movies only. Music in 2.1 setup  - 8002's + Beolab 11 (coming soon). Can I assign certain loudspeakers to a specific signal input? (i.e. to have only 8002's and 11 playing when AV3 (Playmaker) is on) ?

elephant:
 Therefore the only way to drive the stereo music AND surround sound is to have the BeoVision "on" 

Can you live with using P.MUTE to blank the BV's screen when you are listening to music ?

I can :-)

Thank you

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
14,486 Posts
Bronze Member

As far as I remember (?) using the 'AV' button before the 'Source-whatever' button will force a BV7-40 into Speaker 2 (front/sub). Otherweise it is easy to choose manually.

See your 'Sound Settings' for how you already have set up the speakers!

MM

Damir Grgic
Not Ranked
Dubai, UAE
21 Posts
Bronze Member

Millemissen:

I'd say, get yourself a Playmaker (as long as you still can), connect it to one of the analog inputs on the tv.

Can Essence do the job? (I like it's table/wall remote :-) )

Millemissen:
Pushing 'AV' before pushing the 'Source' button lets you turn on the tv 'audio-only'.

As for the A8 remote - you don't need that, if you are streaming or AirPlaying to the Playmaker.

No, I was unclear... my point was that I used iPhone/iPad as a remote for A8, for browsing and playing it's content, and as you said - I found it amusing and more convenient than anything else (OK, except maybe BS5 ;-) )

Millemissen:
You can control the volumen via your Beo4 as usual.

But I can do it from iPhone as well, right?

Millemissen:
There is no way to do, what you intend to do with the tv being off!

For browsing your music with the Beo4, you would need to have the tv on anyway.

Of course, while TV is on. But I wanted to have both options - one while TV is on and other without TV being on, but now I see TV should be ON, but screen can be OFF (thnx for a AV tip! )

Millemissen:
However, it is not possible 'to browse your music with the Beo4' without an additional PUC-controlled external box - (that is only possible on the newer BV's). You could do some of it with the AppleTV (but not for/with non-Apple devices).

Yes, that was my next question - which box to buy (who can do both and is smooth and intuitive to use, even for the people who use it for the first time)? Also which NAS drive and DLNA server software? Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot!

Raeuber
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
2,542 Posts
Bronze Member
Millemissen:

As far as I remember (?) using the 'AV' button before the 'Source-whatever' button will force a BV7-40 into Speaker 2 (front/sub). Otherweise it is easy to choose manually.

See your 'Sound Settings' for how you already have set up the speakers!

MM

With a BV 7 you can choose in sound settings different speaker modes for video and audio when switch on the TV. If you use 'AV' and then a video source button on Beo4, you start BV 7-40 in audio mode. Means if you want to start with front speakers and sub, you have to select 'Speaker 2' for audio mode.

Räuber
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
14,486 Posts
Bronze Member

The Essence would not work as you expect it to, when used that way.

See this thread for more about this:

http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/p/12389/108087.aspx#108087

----

Sure you can do it from the iPhone as well.

But I (for several reasons) would recommend to leave that on almost max - and do the volumen control via the Beo4.

Find a good level, that fits with the overall volumen level of your system.

----

There are many good NAS devices - this is often discussed on the forum.

Don't pick the cheapest (and weakest).

Be sure that it has a good DLNA server installed and/or that you can add other servers easily to it.

B&O often recommend the Twonky Media Server as the DLNA server.

My personal advice would be a Synology - the 'size' depending on your needs for space and backup solution.

You can even AirPlay your files with the newest software running on those using their own apps.

Don't forget - if you have a MacMini on your network (and not too many music files), that can easily be used as the hardware for a DLNA server.

MM

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
8,219 Posts
Founder

Millemissen:

Don't forget - if you have a MacMini on your network (and not too many music files), that can easily be used as the hardware for a DLNA server.

What is "not too many music files" ?

I have some 17,000 on my MacMini (admittedly not all at the highest quality), and at 126GB of music (and some iTunes movies) I am approaching the limit of the MacMini's 320GB hard drive which also contains family photos and family movie clips.

My point being that a dedicated MacMini should be sufficient for most people's music libraries.

Accepting (and excepting) that many here are not "average" Smile

BeoNut since '75

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
14,486 Posts
Bronze Member

@elephant

I basically agree with you!

'not too many' - of cource - means more than you have free space for!

I am sure, that most people would have enough space on a MacMini, but you never know.......

And some people do have a NAS for backup purposes, and why not use that for the music files, even if you have a MacMini with enough space.

The MacMini does not have to be a 'dedicated MacMini', though - my MacMini is always on anyway.

MM

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
8,219 Posts
Founder
elephant replied on Fri, Oct 24 2014 12:32 AM
@MM

My MM is also always on - and the music is backed up in duplicate too two Time Capsules

BeoNut since '75

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
14,486 Posts
Bronze Member

That is a good solution Yes - thumbs up

Which DLNA server do you have installed - if any?

MM

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
8,219 Posts
Founder
elephant replied on Fri, Oct 24 2014 11:30 AM
Just use BMLink

Or ATV

BeoNut since '75

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS