rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 4 Replies | 1 Follower

btsmith86
Not Ranked
6 Posts
Silver Member
btsmith86 posted on Sun, Oct 19 2014 8:34 PM

Hi All,

I'm new to the vinyl world and just purchased a Beogram 1700 online and am waiting for it to arrive. The owner says it is in working condition and that it will play records, but I can see in the photos that the clear acrylic stylus guard is missing from the MMC 20EN cartridge. 

My question is two part:

First, is it safe to play records with this piece missing?

Second, is it possible to simply replace the guard without purchasing a pricey new cartridge from Sound-smith?

Thanks in advance for any responses!

-Blake

All Replies

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
2,265 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi Blake and welcome to Beoworld.

The MMC20EN is fully usable without the acrylic guard.  Many fall off over time.  You just have to be a bit careful with it - avoid sideways movement when you brush it etc.

It may suffer from the usual suspension failure so don't expect too much from the cartridge.  They can be repaired.  You do not have to buy a replacement unless you want to.

Axel repairs them at:  http://www.schallplattennadeln.de/B-O-MMC-Reparatur-Repair/REPARATUR-MMC-20/

Guards can just be glued back on but if Axel repairs it, he may well be able to do this accurately if you ask him.

Gold and Silver members have access to all of the user and service manuals.  Your BG1700 is old and will benefit from a good internal clean and lubrication.  Search the Forum for help.

Dave.

btsmith86
Not Ranked
6 Posts
Silver Member

Hi David,

Thanks so much for the thorough response. Glad to hear that it can function without the guard - and that if need be I can have it repaired by Axel for what looks like a reasonable price. Maybe I can find an extra guard from a broken machine somewhere around Brooklyn in the mean time.

I will search the Forum for more tips on care and upkeep for the machine like you suggested. I'll also report back on the unit once it arrives. It's great that this forum and database is out there to keep these beautiful machines up and running. Hopefully I can get some good mileage out of mine. Will be sure to upgrade my membership once it arrives so I can access the manuals.

Cheers,
Blake

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
2,265 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi Blake and welcome to Beoworld.

I actually replied to this yesterday but it's got lost in the Ether so I'll try again!  EDIT: as I was posting this reply, the first appeared from the Ether!

The MMC20EN can be used without the guard but just be carefull of any lateral movement as obviously the cantilever is exposed.  They are just glued in place and they can fail over time - I have one off at the moment too.  It will still play the same.

Don't be too upset if the cartridge doesn't sound as good as you first hope.  It may sound muffled if the suspension has failed.  You do not need to buy a replacement cartridge.  The suspension fails on these over time - it's well reported here on Beoworld.  You can have it repaired here:

http://www.schallplattennadeln.de/B-O-MMC-Reparatur-Repair/REPARATUR-MMC-20/

Axel may well have a spare guard too which he would fit if you asked him.  Ideally it should be gkued back accurately as the position of it is used when adjusting the tonearms orientation to the record.

Hope it works out OK.  Keep us up-to-date with your new toy.

Dave.

btsmith86
Not Ranked
6 Posts
Silver Member

Hi Dave - Thanks again for the super helpful post. I don't know why it's not showing up for you, but I received it and replied above-. 

I've purchased a receiver (NAD 7125) and am looking at a pair of Beovox S45 speakers right now that need the rubber on one of the subwoofers to be replaced. Also got a NAD cd deck to go with the package. I'm wondering how much of a sacrilege it is to run a Beogram through anything other than B&O products.

The person who sold me the turntable noted that the speaker wires  on the 1700 may need replacing because sound is only going to one speaker. Are those going to be a pain to repair?

Thanks,

Blake

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL