Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 41 Replies | 3 Followers

Seanie_230
Top 50 Contributor
UK
2,194 Posts
Gold Member
Seanie_230 posted on Wed, Oct 8 2014 7:00 PM

Hello all

I would love some help to choose some speakers for my music / dance room.

I have had some history with this which has cost me a small fortune.

First of all I had some lab9's which sound perfect but cut our with today's modern music which is full of bass and due to the height have to be turned up loud to compensate for the low listening height, these ended up in my lounge as prt of my cinema setup.

I then built some fake insulated walls and bought some lab 12-3 which looked amazing but did not quite cut it for me and the volume did not make it high enough before protection mode and the bass would cause them to turn themselves down.

Next I decided to try something else, I purchased a rotel amp and some bowers and Wilkins speakers Cm9's these speakers sound very good and suit the room, i also make a cable that enabled the amp to switch on from the beosound triggar, but I have replaced the woofer in them three times when music and the bass making the speakers unhappy.

All in all the lab9's sound the best in terms of quality but cannon take the volume.

The lab 12's were amazing lookin.

The CM9 speakers sound excellent but not as deep as the lab9's nd have no built in protection to avoid overdoing it.

I have asked Ian from more tha AV to trail some beolab1's but the reviews I read are that the bass is poor and they sound clinical. They may also be to large for the look of the room. 

The music room is basically my own personal nightclub with disco lights smoke machine and very loud music. I don't want big disco speakers I still want warm quality. Sound but the ability to turn it up loud. Without the speakers telling me off. Any thoughts? Sorry. For punctuation this iPad is awful.

Eclipse 65
V1-32
Beosound M5
Essence MK2
BLI

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Seanie_230
Top 50 Contributor
UK
2,194 Posts
Gold Member
Verified by Paul W

Hi again Paul

Beosound is because all I play is spotify though an airport express and then via a.aux nothing special.

I don't play just dance music it can be as simple as Chris brown, Rhianna or will-I-am but equally modern music is very bassy.

Eclipse 65
V1-32
Beosound M5
Essence MK2
BLI

All Replies

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,793 Posts
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sat, Oct 11 2014 3:53 PM

That's an approach I was going to mention but never got around to, using two or more subs to handle the bass and hopefully protect the sats. After all, there's really no limit to the number or size of subs you can use! Adjust them so that the bass is appropriate, not all run at full level (unless you want to of course!), but the more subs there are the less hard they have to work.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Doonesbury
Top 500 Contributor
Landisville, PA, USA
168 Posts
Bronze Member

Jeff:

That's an approach I was going to mention but never got around to, using two or more subs to handle the bass and hopefully protect the sats. After all, there's really no limit to the number or size of subs you can use! Adjust them so that the bass is appropriate, not all run at full level (unless you want to of course!), but the more subs there are the less hard they have to work.

While it's not B & O, here are some high efficiency satellites and subwoofers from a US manufacturer you might want to consider  I'm tempted by the subwoofer and I have BeoLab 5s.

http://www.powersoundaudio.com/products/mtm-210

http://www.powersoundaudio.com/products/triax

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,793 Posts
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sun, Oct 12 2014 1:10 AM

That's one of a very few subs I've ever seen that would actually outperform a pair of BL5s. 

Jeff

Cooker
Top 500 Contributor
116 Posts
Bronze Member
Cooker replied on Sun, Oct 12 2014 3:24 PM

How about four Beovox MS150's?

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
11,986 Posts
Founder
Peter replied on Sun, Oct 12 2014 5:31 PM

I don't think they would be powerful enough - the tweeters would probably sound harsh at very high volumes. I have seen M100s and M75s used in clubs but I seem to remember that they were being sold as the drive units were burnt out!!

B&O speakers are really designed for domestic use - I think you need professional units as listed above.

Peter

BeoBoy68
Top 75 Contributor
FRANCE
1,234 Posts
Bronze Member
Buy 4x BeoLit 12 and stream them together with iTunes !

Unbelievable sound for € 2.000 only ! Big Smile
elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
8,219 Posts
Founder
BeoBoy68:

Buy 4x BeoLit 12 and stream them together with iTunes !

Unbelievable sound for € 2.000 only ! Beolit 12 White Edition .... The Boom Boom Box !

Or 4xA9s for a bit more ?

BeoNut since '75

fishta
Not Ranked
27 Posts
Bronze Member
fishta replied on Wed, Oct 15 2014 1:49 PM

I have just seen on Artcoustics FB page www.facebook.com/artcousticspeakers that they have launched a new speaker with the text: "If you have a project in a large room, club, commercial venue, or just a client that likes to party..then you need to see and hear these!"

Seanie_230
Top 50 Contributor
UK
2,194 Posts
Gold Member

Hi all

i think I am going to sell the bowers and Wilkins CM9 which I have blown a woofer again and go for a set of beolab penta 3

they have four woofers per speaker and also the technology to stop clipping and distortion which should keep the room looking smart and give great sound.

now the hunt begins and then possibly amp repairs and reforming.

all good fun

Eclipse 65
V1-32
Beosound M5
Essence MK2
BLI

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
2,221 Posts
Silver Member

I had 6 penta´s playing at once before. My neighbour never complained, couldn´t hear the knocking on the door or the doorbell ;)

Steffen
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
1,388 Posts
Gold Member

Seanie_230:

Hi all

i think I am going to sell the bowers and Wilkins CM9 which I have blown a woofer again and go for a set of beolab penta 3

they have four woofers per speaker and also the technology to stop clipping and distortion which should keep the room looking smart and give great sound.

now the hunt begins and then possibly amp repairs and reforming.

all good fun

A wise decision to go for the Penta's. I have a set in my Bar/danceroom. Not the Lab's - but the Beovox Penta's hooked up to a Beomaster 6500 (with a new set of caps).
I had a party this weekend - and they were playing LOUD.
Some of the guests, who can be considered 'audiophiles' and usually a bit critical about B&O were really impressed. They tried to turn it up at full volume to see if they could hear any distortion or 'clipping'. None of that happened. The amp played loud for 5-6 hours with no problems.

One of the very popular tracks that night was this one - by a Danish artist called 'Lykke Li'. Good for testing the bass Big Smile 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS6wfWu0JvA

So if you get a set of 'pentaLab's', do some refoam and give the amps an overhaul -then you will have enough bass for most purposes. And good looking speakers too Yes - thumbs up

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,793 Posts
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Mon, Dec 1 2014 9:53 PM

My personal bet is that you'll either destroy those too, or not be happy. What you want to do is not what home audio is designed to do, unless you go with a pro audio solution I suspect this will be an endless loop.

Jeff

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
1,810 Posts
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Tue, Dec 2 2014 12:33 AM

I totally agree with you Jeff and that's what I said in my first post! Penta's are old, old, old - it would be like dressing Prince Charles in skinny jeans and Converse and expecting him to out do the b-boys. Just ain't gonna happen. You NEED pro/club/broadcast speakers for your environment!

Steffen
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
1,388 Posts
Gold Member

Jeff:

My personal bet is that you'll either destroy those too, or not be happy. What you want to do is not what home audio is designed to do, unless you go with a pro audio solution I suspect this will be an endless loop.

With all respect,Jeff. I don't see why he should destroy those too...

This is what he wrote:

The music room is basically my own personal nightclub with disco lights smoke machine and very loud music. I don't want big disco speakers I still want warm quality. Sound but the ability to turn it up loud. Without the speakers telling me off. Any thoughts?

Of course, I don't know if Seanie's 'personal nightclub' is open every night of the week...
If so - Then he would certainly need some Pro equipment...

But - if it's a room only used now and then (perhaps even every weekend) - then the Penta's would do fine.
Yes - B&O is home audio - but it is build to last.
As we see here on Beoworld, people have audio equipment 40-50 years old -or more. With some TLC (and some new components now and then) they will go on for many years.
Seems like Seanie knows what to do, if he finds a set of Penta's. If they are playing now, after 20+ years - then some new caps will probably make them play the next 20 years or more.

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,793 Posts
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Tue, Dec 2 2014 1:31 AM

Go back and read his posts, how many drivers has he destroyed? How many times has he forced a system into thermal shutdown? He's been farting around with inappropriate equipment for what he wants to do performance wise for quite a while, and still hasn't found anything he can't either blow or make shutdown. You think Pentas with 4 5 inch woofers each are going to handle the SPL he seems to require?

It's his room, he can do what he wants of course, but the only thing that's going to survive that kind of abuse is pro audio gear, stuff you can turn up to 11. It's like saying I really don't want a truck, but I'm going to use a succession of sports cars to try and haul a huge trailer. Just because you don't want a truck doesn't mean you'll ever find a two seater that will do the job. Reality can be a harsh mistress. And it doesn't matter how often in a week he does this, it only takes a short period of time to stress a home audio component acting as a pro level system beyond its limits. I've seen it done in less than 5 sec with the right kind of abuse.

Jeff

Page 2 of 3 (42 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL