Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 41 Replies | 3 Followers

Seanie_230
Top 50 Contributor
UK
2,194 Posts
Gold Member
Seanie_230 posted on Wed, Oct 8 2014 7:00 PM

Hello all

I would love some help to choose some speakers for my music / dance room.

I have had some history with this which has cost me a small fortune.

First of all I had some lab9's which sound perfect but cut our with today's modern music which is full of bass and due to the height have to be turned up loud to compensate for the low listening height, these ended up in my lounge as prt of my cinema setup.

I then built some fake insulated walls and bought some lab 12-3 which looked amazing but did not quite cut it for me and the volume did not make it high enough before protection mode and the bass would cause them to turn themselves down.

Next I decided to try something else, I purchased a rotel amp and some bowers and Wilkins speakers Cm9's these speakers sound very good and suit the room, i also make a cable that enabled the amp to switch on from the beosound triggar, but I have replaced the woofer in them three times when music and the bass making the speakers unhappy.

All in all the lab9's sound the best in terms of quality but cannon take the volume.

The lab 12's were amazing lookin.

The CM9 speakers sound excellent but not as deep as the lab9's nd have no built in protection to avoid overdoing it.

I have asked Ian from more tha AV to trail some beolab1's but the reviews I read are that the bass is poor and they sound clinical. They may also be to large for the look of the room. 

The music room is basically my own personal nightclub with disco lights smoke machine and very loud music. I don't want big disco speakers I still want warm quality. Sound but the ability to turn it up loud. Without the speakers telling me off. Any thoughts? Sorry. For punctuation this iPad is awful.

Eclipse 65
V1-32
Beosound M5
Essence MK2
BLI

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Seanie_230
Top 50 Contributor
UK
2,194 Posts
Gold Member
Verified by Paul W

Hi again Paul

Beosound is because all I play is spotify though an airport express and then via a.aux nothing special.

I don't play just dance music it can be as simple as Chris brown, Rhianna or will-I-am but equally modern music is very bassy.

Eclipse 65
V1-32
Beosound M5
Essence MK2
BLI

All Replies

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
1,810 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi Seanie,

I've read with interest your dance room reports for a couple of years now. The BANG&OLUFSEN approach when it comes to dance music is sooooooo the wrong way to go. They have never been designed for this. Coming from the dance radio industry, you really need professional broadcast speakers. Have a look at the Pioneer XY series. They are available in different sizes and are more than capable of powering your dance room. I found the BeoCentre a very weird choice for a dance room. Have you thought of two Pioneer CDJs with your MacBook/iPhone/USB stick?

Have a look at this video. Also for a nightclub room, check out the Bose 802 pro speakers. At under £2000, they are practically bomb proof in terms of exceptionally high volume levels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_SINLLmFaU&list=UUg70JR8kcR0fTdarQf9xj_w

Seanie_230
Top 50 Contributor
UK
2,194 Posts
Gold Member
Verified by Paul W

Hi again Paul

Beosound is because all I play is spotify though an airport express and then via a.aux nothing special.

I don't play just dance music it can be as simple as Chris brown, Rhianna or will-I-am but equally modern music is very bassy.

Eclipse 65
V1-32
Beosound M5
Essence MK2
BLI

Seanie_230
Top 50 Contributor
UK
2,194 Posts
Gold Member

I have to also consider day to day this room is part of my house and needs to look nice. I cannot have the Bose as they would stand out like a sore thumb I think.

Eclipse 65
V1-32
Beosound M5
Essence MK2
BLI

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
1,810 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi Seanie,

The Pioneer X & Y would be fantastic for your room in terms of looks as they are available in white too. For club use and pro use, these are now regarded as the industry standard.

It's very bizarre that your speakers aren't coping with the loud bass levels. I used BOSE AM5 accoustimass speakers in a club room in my house for over 15 years and never damaged them once - even with the bass and treble n max (using Technics amps). Maybe you could try them at £400 for the set.

markiedee
Top 200 Contributor
UK
423 Posts
Bronze Member

Have you not considered the beolab 20?? They sound and look amazing when i demoed them i was blown away.

Beoplay A2

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
1,810 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi Mark,

I think we are talking really high volume levels here and the Bang&Olufsen speakers with their built in amps are just not able to take this pressure - they overheat. It kind of reminds me of putting a non athlete on a treadmill for five hours and expecting him to run top speed for the full amount of time! It's a totally different environment - B&O are lovely, really lovely for pleasant listening but what Seanie needs is something a little more tough.

Andrew
Top 100 Contributor
Frinton, UK
883 Posts
Bronze Member
Andrew replied on Fri, Oct 10 2014 12:10 PM

Crikey - you must play your music loud!

I had four Penta's once in a room and that was amazing as the bass is massively deep (Swedish House Master particularly good)  - would 4 of these be good if you had decent ones (i.e refoamed etc) ?

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
1,568 Posts
Gold Member
TWG replied on Fri, Oct 10 2014 2:11 PM

How big is your dance/music room?

If you have the space you could connect a powerlink active to a poweramp and install 2 Klipsch La Scala speakers or the version that must be put into the corners of a room.

http://www.klipsch.com/la-scala-ii-floorstanding-speaker

You should listen to them if they suit to modern dance music. If they sound good to your ears, you'll never have to worry again about damaged speakers.

Klipsch La Scala and its corner-put (I don't know the english name for it) cousin are well known for the pure power due to the horn loaded construction!
If you want to listen to rock concerts at their original volume levels, this is the speaker to go.
Before you damage these speakers they will damage your room. Big Smile

They do look ugly, yes, but this could bring the power you want to your room. Give them a listen if they suit to your desired music.

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,793 Posts
Silver Member
Answered (Not Verified) Jeff replied on Fri, Oct 10 2014 2:28 PM
Suggested by John

I was going to mention Klipsch's as well. The corner one you mention is the Klipschhorn. It was the first speaker Paul Klipsch marketed back in the 50s. It's been modernized, better drivers and horns, and is over 104 db/watt efficient. These things will part your hair with a 10 watt amp.

Something like this or a Pro type speaker are the only things that will survive the abuse given for a dance room kind of application. Any and all normal audiophile speakers are not designed for this, you need a speaker that can handle large current amounts for long periods of time without overextending or burning out drivers. Sadly none of them will have the style of B&O, but the Klipsch stuff is available in various kinds of wood, and are furniture grade in their cabinets.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

John
Top 200 Contributor
Australia
321 Posts
Bronze Member
John replied on Fri, Oct 10 2014 4:25 PM

Jeff:

I was going to mention Klipsch's as well. The corner one you mention is the Klipschhorn. It was the first speaker Paul Klipsch marketed back in the 50s. It's been modernized, better drivers and horns, and is over 104 db/watt efficient. These things will part your hair with a 10 watt amp.

Something like this or a Pro type speaker are the only things that will survive the abuse given for a dance room kind of application. Any and all normal audiophile speakers are not designed for this, you need a speaker that can handle large current amounts for long periods of time without overextending or burning out drivers. Sadly none of them will have the style of B&O, but the Klipsch stuff is available in various kinds of wood, and are furniture grade in their cabinets.

Seconded.  A very high efficiency passive speaker like a Klipschorn, or a very efficient active pro speaker would beat almost all audiophile speakers I could think of for a dance room application.

Additionally, a room full of people will act as excellent sound absorption, so an very efficient speaker system (Db sound output for watts input) would be de riguer IMHO.

John.. Cool

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,793 Posts
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Fri, Oct 10 2014 5:06 PM

I once saw a picture of a guy's home theater that had 4 Khorns and a LaScala for a center channel. He was driving them with a Carver Sunfire home theater amp that could put out 1000 watts peak on each of 5 channels. I figured he could implode a bowling ball at the listening position.SurpriseStick out tongue One thing I've heard said about large horn speakers is that instead of a "you are there" experience, the give you more of a "they are here" experience. There are numerous pluses and minuses with horns, but I will say that for dynamic attacks like from drums and such, nothing can equal the snap your head back impact of horns.

BTW, 121 dB is excruciatingly loud.

Here are the Khorn specs:

Frequency Response: 33Hz-17kHz(+-) 4dB
SENSITIVITY: 105dB @ 1watt/1meter
POWER HANDLING: 100 w max continuous (400 w peak)
MAXIMUM ACOUSTIC OUTPUT: 121dB SPL
NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 8 ohms
TWEETER: K-77-F 1" (2.54cm) Phenolic diaphragm compression driver
MIDRANGE: K-55-X 2" (5.08cm) Phenolic diaphragm compression driver
MID FREQUENCY HORN: Exponential Horn
WOOFER: K-33-E 15" (38.1cm) Fiber-composite cone / horn-loaded with a trihedral exponential folded
CROSSOVER FREQUENCY: HF: 4500 Hz
MF: 450 Hz
ENCLOSURE MATERIAL: Birch Plywood & MDF
ENCLOSURE TYPE: Fully horn-loaded
INPUT CONNECTIONS: 5-way binding posts / Bi-wire capable
DIMENSIONS: 50 .75 H (128.91 cm) x 31.25 W (79.38 cm) x 28.25 D (71.75 cm)
WEIGHT: 175 lbs unboxed
FINISHES: Walnut Lacquer, Cherry Lacquer, Black Lacquer
Built From:

Jeff

fishta
Not Ranked
27 Posts
Bronze Member
fishta replied on Fri, Oct 10 2014 10:36 PM

Have you looked at Artcoustic before? The owner of the company Kim is also a DJ so he knows how dance music should sound. I work for a custom installation company and we deal with B&O, B&W, Triad, DefTech, Procella, Wisdom, Pro Audio etc. but I have to say the Artcoustic really handle dance music well. Have a look and if you want any more info let me know.

These would probably suit quite nicely http://www.artcoustic.com/Art_speaker_SL%20Series%20floor%20wall%20page.html

Cheers,

Nick

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,793 Posts
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sat, Oct 11 2014 12:26 AM

I don't think a speaker with a low freq extension of 65 hz -3 dB will be a very effective dance speaker. Lots of tiny drivers there.

Jeff

fishta
Not Ranked
27 Posts
Bronze Member
fishta replied on Sat, Oct 11 2014 2:43 PM

Agreed but paired with one of these http://www.artcoustic.com/Product%20pages%20HTM/Spitfire%20SL%20Sub.html or http://www.artcoustic.com/Art_speaker_SL_Subwoofer%20page.html and then setup properly with their correct amplifiers http://www.artcoustic.com/Product%20pages%20HTM/PA250%20&%20PA750.html the result really is astounding. Just to clarify I don't work for Artcoustic but I hear a lot of speakers in my job role and for dance music these systems do really well. If you want the subs built in to the speakers then they even do these:

http://www.artcoustic.com/High%20end_hifi_speakers_Stealth%20Series.html

Page 1 of 3 (42 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL